Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 450D PCB Assembly replacement

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am an enthusiastic amateur who purchased a Canon REbel XSI (450D) back in 2009. Recently I took it out to find it was recording blank, black images when I took photos.

I took it to the - canon recommended - Image Supply Systems to get a quote for repair (which took 5 days!). They say I need a new PCB assembly and are charging €169.00 + VAT@13.5%.

I have a few questions before I drop so much money on a camera which isn't worth that much more than the repair cost! Does anyone know of any other repair centre they can recommend (preferably in Dublin) who might do this cheaper?

Also, is it unusual to need such expensive repairs on a digital SLR after only three years? I bought it hoping it would last an awful lot longer! What are the chances I'll be paying the same again in another three years?

Should I be thinking about a different camera brand next time? A one year warranty on such an expensive piece of kit seems very short to me.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help or advice ye can provide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I took it to the - canon recommended - Image Supply Systems to get a quote for repair (which took 5 days!). They say I need a new PCB assembly and are charging €169.00 + VAT@13.5%.

I have a few questions before I drop so much money on a camera which isn't worth that much more than the repair cost! Does anyone know of any other repair centre they can recommend (preferably in Dublin) who might do this cheaper?

Also, is it unusual to need such expensive repairs on a digital SLR after only three years? I bought it hoping it would last an awful lot longer! What are the chances I'll be paying the same again in another three years?

Should I be thinking about a different camera brand next time? A one year warranty on such an expensive piece of kit seems very short to me.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help or advice ye can provide!

1 year warranty is normal for cameras, unfortunately, even the high end professional models.

ISS are the only authorised Canon repair centre, and normally they ship all that out to Canon UK service.

Is it likely to happen again? Who knows?!?!? It's unlikely, but always possible. When camera makers give information on shutter actuations, they only quote a mean time to failure. So, it might fail after 10 shots or 10,000, or 110,000, they don't know.

Anyway, hopefully they'll do the job right and your camera will last you another few years without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭seandalaiocht

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Think I'll just pay up and keep my fingers crossed I don't get stung again!

Advertisement