Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeler for a Team Tournament

• 20-12-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey Guys..

We are thinking of holding a Team Tournament in our gym Middle or end of February..

Just want to know what gyms would be interested in putting Teams forward for this

Each team will consist of one person at a weight category and it will be single elimination style.

Thanks

Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

How many per team? And what weight categories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

we are still discussing that...we wanted to see what clubs would be interested in putting teams forward..

no point holding it if we don't get teams for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I'll mention it at my club, sounds like good craic!

I'll mention it at my club, sounds like good craic!

cool thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

This would be great!

• Advertisement

This would be great!

Say to everyone in sbg karl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

you know we'd be there :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Hmmm, I'd be interested, how much does a feeler earn these days and how many teams will there be? I don't want to get repetitive strain disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marcus.phelan

good idea, wud it be all experience levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I'll mention it at training tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RJJIreland

We'll send a team.

I presume it will be the no points system again?

If so, any chance of changing the first to takedown rule to first to score? meaning first to secure a takedown, sweep, guard pass or back take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

In the gi??:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

We have had a lot of mat hours and some belt promotions this year so next year we plan to hit as much comps as possible so count us in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

RJJIreland wrote: »
    We'll send a team.

If so, any chance of changing the first to takedown rule to first to score? meaning first to secure a takedown, sweep, guard pass or back take?

Great idea by Darragh here! That's how Barry ran his Informed Performance competitions. Only makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

First to takedown is awesome. More of this I say!

First takedown makes it a takedown competition not a jiu jitsu (or grappling) one. less of this i say.

Takedowns are part of grappling, a very important part. My understanding was that it would be a submission wrestling competition, not a BJJ one.

Either way I'm happy to compete under any rules and won't be whinging if they don't suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Do you play football with a bowling ball Clive?
    Sub grappling comp should use sub grappling rules. First to score as a tie-break is a great idea, Sweeps are an equally if not more important part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RJJIreland

Clive wrote: »
    Takedowns are part of grappling, a very important part. My understanding was that it would be a submission wrestling competition, not a BJJ one.

Either way I'm happy to compete under any rules and won't be whinging if they don't suit me.

Takedowns are definitely an important part of grappling. But no more important than sweeps, guard passing or back taking in my opinion.

I understand that it's supposed to be a "submission wrestling" competition. But then why not have 2 points for a takedown during the match if it's supposed to be of such importance?

In my experience, first to takedown just encourages poor rugby tackles.

I had two students at the last tallaght tournament who were told while about to perform a submission in the "first to takedown period", not to guillotine their opponent or they would lose. So a takedown is now more important than a submission?

Just a suggestion anyway. Regardless of what rules are decided, we will definitely have a team for this!

Takedowns are as much a part of grappling as any other maneuver you could use to decide who won a match, but why choose one when you could use many to suit different styles?

god im such a whinger.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'd be interested, how much does a feeler earn these days and how many teams will there be? I don't want to get repetitive strain disorder.

not sure what your asking here barry ?

good idea, wud it be all experience levels?

yes all experience levels

We'll send a team.

yes there will be no points but i was planning on having 3 judges per bout have them declare a winner... so if the bout lasts the round each judge will be asked who he thought won the bout and they will be declared the winner...

Well it's a moot point now, so I'll stay on topic - it'll be interesting to see something different with the judges decisions.

Now I'm off to bowl - with the rails up.

yes there will be no points but i was planning on having 3 judges per bout have them declare a winner... so if the bout lasts the round each judge will be asked who he thought won the bout and they will be declared the winner...
    No offence Daniel but that's just silly. Why not just run a points system? Instead of an objective scoring system where a guy knows he's ahead or behind, you'll have a subjective system where judges opinions will be the deciding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Good Idea Dan! IBJJF Rules!:)

No offence Daniel but that's just silly. Why not just run a points system? Instead of an objective scoring system where a guy knows he's ahead or behind, you'll have a subjective system where judges opinions will be the deciding factor.

Wanted to run it like the finals of the mma league...to do it as a points tournament i would need a list of qualified IBJJF refs.

No you wouldnt? You would just need a list of IBJJF rules. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

I think it should be pre-register and pre-pay so we can find out what time we're on the mats :)

• Advertisement

Chris89 wrote: »
    No you wouldnt? You would just need a list of IBJJF rules. :)

yes and have them memorized by comp time... plus its better to have a qualified ibjjf ref on the mats is it not ?

slammer187 wrote: »
    I think it should be pre-register and pre-pay so we can find out what time we're on the mats :)

would need some sort of tech wiz to help me set that up as i would not know how

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I think a lot of guys who train BJJ also train MMA, takedowns to finish are a good way to finish a decider.
    I always thought takedowns were probably the last things emphasised after BJJ and striking and sometimes get negelected a bit :)
    Maybe it helps MMA grow a little if these are the standard way a BJJ comp ends...

Dan,
    2 points takedown,
    2 pts sweep,
    3 pts guardpass,
    2 pts knee on belly,
    4 pts mount,
    4 pts back take with hooks,
    Job done :)

If you're going to have 3 guys judging who know enough about grappling to be able to decide a winner, they'll get this in less than 5 minutes.
    You'll only need two people per match, one to call it, one to write it down and will get less bitching than if you have 3 guys arbitrarily calling it.
    It's an established sport with established rules, it confuses me that people still want to make it up as they go along.

Maybe it helps MMA grow a little if these are the standard way a BJJ comp ends...

:confused:

I think quite often people forget that BJJ does not equal MMA, and really trying to apply some sort of MMA-like rule set to a BJJ match just complicates things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

In my experience, first to takedown just encourages poor rugby tackles.
    I agree, wouldnt like to lose a match to a rugby tackle.

I think a lot of guys who train BJJ also train MMA, takedowns to finish are a good way to finish a decider.
    I always thought takedowns were probably the last things emphasised after BJJ and striking and sometimes get negelected a bit :)

A lot of guys probably play or have played football too, but you dont decide who won a jiu jitsu match by a game of kick ups.

Comments like this highlight how misinformed people are about jiu jitsu as a sport, unfortunately a lot of these people actually train in MMA clubs teaching jiu jitsu and still havent a breeze as to whats going on.

I think people often forget that submission wrestling does not equal BJJ also. There are plenty of valid rulesets, no need to make everything the same.

I shall have my appropriately coloured, IBJJF approved rashguard prepared just in case.

Clive wrote: »
    I think people often forget that submission wrestling does not equal BJJ also. There are plenty of valid rulesets, no need to make everything the same.

I shall have my appropriately coloured, IBJJF approved rashguard prepared just in case.

No problem with any valid, established ruleset being used. Do have a problem with ad hoc, "no open guard" type rules.
    Lets just have a comp where the first one to pull spider guard or secure knee ride is the instant winner and be done with it.

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Dan,
    2 points takedown,
    2 pts sweep,
    3 pts guardpass,
    2 pts knee on belly,
    4 pts mount,
    4 pts back take with hooks,
    Job done :)

If you're going to have 3 guys judging who know enough about grappling to be able to decide a winner, they'll get this in less than 5 minutes.
    You'll only need two people per match, one to call it, one to write it down and will get less bitching than if you have 3 guys arbitrarily calling it.
    It's an established sport with established rules, it confuses me that people still want to make it up as they go along.

Thanks Tom,

looks like i found my first ref ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

No problem with any valid, established ruleset being used. Do have a problem with ad hoc, "no open guard" type rules.

No open guard :confused:??

No open guard :confused:??

we would not advocate this rule just to clarify

we would not advocate this rule just to clarify

Wasn't an example from one of your comps, but was the effective result of some rather bizarre rules put in place a recent Northern Ireland one.
    I just think the further you stray from the sport's actual rules, the more problems you create.
    BTW I'm just trying to be constructive, so apologies if I come across as bitching :)

Wasn't an example from one of your comps, but was the effective result of some rather bizarre rules put in place a recent Northern Ireland one.
    I just think the further you stray from the sport's actual rules, the more problems you create.
    BTW I'm just trying to be constructive, so apologies if I come across as bitching :)

I know the tournament that you are talking about and you were not the only person to mention that they did not like the rule set at that comp... so i know you are no bitching... we take everything onboard as we want to encourage as many people to compete as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

:eek:
    Wow, just WOW! Wanted to laugh but realised this is probably a serious comment, so i cried!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hiromatsu22

Next Gen will be there :)

:eek:
    Wow, just WOW! Wanted to laugh but realised this is probably a serious comment, so i cried!
    Why this attitude to a guy? No need to mock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimb0_d

Just while we are on the topic of rules the English translation of the new 2012 IBJJF rulebook is out with colour pictures etc etc.

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/rulesibjjf1stedition.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Something every competitor should know and something which i know comes up in every competition.

Techniques which you are not allowed to do un IBJJF rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Quick question lads to enter a comp like this would you have to have graded under the bjj system? I would imagine the answer is yes :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement