Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeler for a Team Tournament

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

Next Gen will be there :)

dylan you just want another reason to go burger king again ;)

Quick question lads to enter a comp like this would you have to have graded under the bjj system? I would imagine the answer is yes :P

no you do not have to be graded to enter... everyone is eligible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ok cool.

how would it work if you were a purple belt in a traditional jujitsu style?

how is it classed is what im after?

is it weight category?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

ok cool.

is it weight category?

Usually divided by weight category and experience level, from novice, intermediate and advanced.
    Novice is general less than 1 years training in ANY grappling style, inter = less than 3 ( usually), and advanced = +3

This tourney may break it down a bit different, but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Usually divided by weight category and experience level, from novice, intermediate and advanced.
    Novice is general less than 1 years training in ANY grappling style, inter = less than 3 ( usually), and advanced = +3

This tourney may break it down a bit different, but you get the idea.

sweet.....that clears it up....

ok cool.

is it weight category?

this comp will be just about weight... we would not have enough people to make teams if we did weight and experience

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

ok cool.

is it weight category?

this comp will be just about weight... we would not have enough people to make teams if we did weight and experience

So potentially you could get a high level grappler with many years experience, going against a raw newbie just because they fall into same weight category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Having run two pro team tournaments, I think some clubs will struggle to field more than one team that is competitive, ie has a very good chance of winning. Finding very light and very heavy category is particularly difficult. Whilst we had good representation from individual clubs, we also allowed clubs to come together and make up teams on the day if necessary.(they actually did really well!) We ran it on basis of weight only, as it is more difficult that you think to find 5 or so beginners at all the necessary weights willing/able/free from work to compete in a lot of clubs.

We did 5 man teams with everyone fighting everyone in first round ie all 5 fight, but in second round if you won 3 your team went through.(we drew lots to either start at heavy end of weights or light) If there was a draw ie 2 wins each and a draw. We drew lots so that your lightest guy could be drawn against the oppositions heaviest in a sudden death. Made for some interesting match ups.

Good luck with tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

In any case Kyuzo will be there but I'd also like to hedge my bets and contribute some guys to Team Mercenary. One year at one of Dave's we lost 2 guys off our team to sickness and never had a heavyweight anyway, so we dragged in 3 others that morning and took silver.

• Advertisement

we will allow teams to be formed on the day... so please encourage to come down and we will try make as many teams as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Can a club register more than one team?

da-bres wrote: »
    Can a club register more than one team?

if the club can field more than one team than why not

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

I think a lot of guys who train BJJ also train MMA, takedowns to finish are a good way to finish a decider.
    I always thought takedowns were probably the last things emphasised after BJJ and striking and sometimes get negelected a bit :)
    Maybe it helps MMA grow a little if these are the standard way a BJJ comp ends...

:eek:
    Wow, just WOW! Wanted to laugh but realised this is probably a serious comment, so i cried!
    Why this attitude to a guy? No need to mock.

Didn't mean to come across as having an attitude and I apologise for being patronising towards Karl. I just don't see why there would be reference to MMA in a grappling thread, however Karl's entitled to make any statements he wants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

That's big of you David. Happy Xmas.

Advertisement