Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does everybody hate their Landlord so much?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I am neither a tenant nor a landlord but I have been in both situations in the past.

Is it inevitable that tenants and lords will eventually end up hating each other?

Do tenants begrudge the rent money that they are handing over to the landlord every month, knowing that for many years (until recently) he was using this to pay the mortgage with change left over?

Why do landlord so frequently hold onto deposits and get hostile when previous tenants ask for them back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

People don't usually talk about their landlords unless something has gone wrong and they want to complain. Mine is fine, my rent was reduced when I asked, everything works fine and is in good condition and when something breaks, it's fixed within days. Can't complain. I'm sure there are thousands just like me but we're not coming here to start threads saying everything is peachy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The best landlord-tenant relationship is one where they never speak to each other :pac:

I'll only call my landlord if something is wrong, same if he calls me.
    Haven't spoken to him since last year

Unfortunately there are many rogue landlords out there, cash in hand, what da ya want a receipt for, I'll fix your heating next month boyos out there
    Don't get me started on those who take your deposit as they decide they want to spend it on a new carpet and paint the walls after you leave :mad:
    These give everyone a bad name and so people blame them all

I got so tired of these for a few years I just shared with owner-occupiers. I was happy and at least the owner was there if there was an issue.

Like anything OP, it's the complaints you hear, not the good stories. Same with retail shops tbh, you hear the bad news but never the good experiences

Vast majority of landlords are great, so are most tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I don't think everyone hates their landlords or tenants.

I have no opinion on my landlady, nothing against her, but we're not like BFF's. For me that's ideal, we all know out places, she leaves us alone and we leave her alone. We pay out rent on time and she looks after her responsibility as a landlord.

I think the majority of the strife between Landlords and Tenants comes from people not knowing their rights. On the Landlord side the most annoying thing for me about a Landlord is one that is too involved or too aloof. I've had landlords that were impossible to contact when things went horribly wrong and I have had a landlord enter the apartment without my permission. For some landlords there is a complete separation the apartment/house/property is just a business investment and nothing else to them. This for me is the idea way to be. The flip side of that is Landlords who look at the property as their home, or one of their homes, or just theirs and this isn't fair on the tenant as while the tenant is renting it is their home.

You see that in tenants as well though. I've lived with people who grew up in lovely homes and houses that they would not have dared to treat with anything but care and respect but because they're 'just' renting they treat the place like crap and end up losing their deposit because of it. But you also have tenants that get too attached to the properties they're renting and end up very upset if they can no longer rent it.

The landlord/tenant relationship to me is the perfect example of 'once bitten twice shy' if a landlord has had terrible tenants in the past who wrecked the place and bailed out without paying rent or bills that can turn a landlord from a reasonably involved one, to one who is ALWAYS involved and always nitpicking. Similarly in my own experience with the landlord entering the property without my permission, I now treat landlords with a certain amount of... caution?

I think it's important for landlords and tenants know not just their rights, but their responsibilities the problems between the two group flare up when one or both parties are ignorant of their rights and their responsibilities to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

I have no issue with my landlord, as it says in the other post, I pay my rent and he looks after his responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

meganj wrote: »
    I don't think everyone hates their landlords or tenants.

I have no opinion on my landlady, nothing against her, but we're not like BFF's. For me that's ideal, we all know out places, she leaves us alone and we leave her alone. We pay out rent on time and she looks after her responsibility as a landlord.

I think the majority of the strife between Landlords and Tenants comes from people not knowing their rights. On the Landlord side the most annoying thing for me about a Landlord is one that is too involved or too aloof. I've had landlords that were impossible to contact when things went horribly wrong and I have had a landlord enter the apartment without my permission. For some landlords there is a complete separation the apartment/house/property is just a business investment and nothing else to them. This for me is the idea way to be. The flip side of that is Landlords who look at the property as their home, or one of their homes, or just theirs and this isn't fair on the tenant as while the tenant is renting it is their home.

You see that in tenants as well though. I've lived with people who grew up in lovely homes and houses that they would not have dared to treat with anything but care and respect but because they're 'just' renting they treat the place like crap and end up losing their deposit because of it. But you also have tenants that get too attached to the properties they're renting and end up very upset if they can no longer rent it.

The landlord/tenant relationship to me is the perfect example of 'once bitten twice shy' if a landlord has had terrible tenants in the past who wrecked the place and bailed out without paying rent or bills that can turn a landlord from a reasonably involved one, to one who is ALWAYS involved and always nitpicking. Similarly in my own experience with the landlord entering the property without my permission, I now treat landlords with a certain amount of... caution?

I think it's important for landlords and tenants know not just their rights, but their responsibilities the problems between the two group flare up when one or both parties are ignorant of their rights and their responsibilities to each other.

Excellent post; thank you.

One of the issues that comes up most is that of privacy. This time we have a LL who had not rented out since before the Tenancy Act, and whose attitude was when we objected to entry while we were out was " I OWN THE HOUSE!" We came home once to find the dogs upstairs where they cannot get unless the gate is moved.

This LL is almost illiterate; not his fault as he would have been kept out of school to work on the farm. Forms etc terrify him. but the agent is someone he trusts so we refer any issues to him.

It is scary thinking how we have adapted to having to do this! Adapt or die! lol We now assume that we will have to enforce this.

But he is fine re major repairs. Still have to sort out the fact that the electric fence is on our meter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I have been lucky with good landlords. Have lived in three separate rentals and all three times the landlords were great. Fixed any problems as soon as possible and all were generally really nice people. The first two were proper landlords, where as the apartment I am in now was owner occupied and the landlord is now living with his partner.

I think some of the blame should lie with the tenant if they get a really bad landlord. Most problems should be spotted at a viewing or second viewing and people should get a feel for what the landlord is like by asking the right questions. Although, it would be a different story if it was an agency rep showing you around. I don't think I could rent through an agency, it is much faster and usually sorted easier when you are in direct contact with the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Monife wrote: »
    I have been lucky with good landlords. Have lived in three separate rentals and all three times the landlords were great. Fixed any problems as soon as possible and all were generally really nice people. The first two were proper landlords, where as the apartment I am in now was owner occupied and the landlord is now living with his partner.

I think some of the blame should lie with the tenant if they get a really bad landlord. Most problems should be spotted at a viewing or second viewing and people should get a feel for what the landlord is like by asking the right questions. Although, it would be a different story if it was an agency rep showing you around. I don't think I could rent through an agency, it is much faster and usually sorted easier when you are in direct contact with the LL.

I'm not sure about how the landlord can be sussed out by the tenant with a couple of questions. It's not always easy (and this goes the same for Landlords trying to find out if their tenant is ok). If it was there'd be no bad tenants and no bad landlords, or they'd just all be stuck with each other.

I've never had personality conflicts with my landlords, or any trouble. I don't think they paid their tax as they should, but I wasn't going to make an issue of it while I was living there.

As long as they're there soon (within reason) when you need them, stay away when you don't, and you don't need them that often because the place is sturdy and up to spec, then that's the perfect landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I've never had any issues with landlords.
    On leaving my last rental of six years we actually exchanged gifts.
    No issues in current property. The landlord was even good enough to leave a folder with an instruction manual for everything in the place.
    I'm the kind of tennant who pays rent without fail at the correct time and maintains a property without asking though.

Some people are just assholes regardless of which side of the tenant/LL that they fall into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I get on very well with all my tenants. Each Christmas I give them a present and have been invited to their weddings, christening etc...

I have some terrible tenants and I know people who have had terrible LLs.

There are a lot of people who just don't like the idea of a LL at all. Some people expect the world just becasue they are renting and it is a "service". There are certainly people who resent LL as they are "paying their mortgage".

History in Ireland has certainly passed on the notion of all LL being evil or money grabbing.

Anybody who has any issue with authority will likely have a problem with a LL. It is pretty much the same type of person who always says the governemnt are to blame for everything and the the gaurdi can't be trusted etc... They will be the same with LL as everybody knows, they all fiddle tax, rent hovilles and will stamp on any right you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Wow, some really good posts. I suppose I never saw it like that, its only the horror stories that you hear.

I also think there's some truth about the histroy of the reputation of landlords in Ireland. I also think though that Irish people just aren't programmed to rent. My generation certainly grew up to aspire to own their own homes. That may be all about to change though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I get on great with my landlord. He's a genuinely sound guy. Takes his responsibilities as a LL seriously, and always addresses any issues promptly. On the other hand, I don't thrash the place, don't ring him up about trivial sh*t, and have never messed him around on paying the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That was a great post by meganj

Just to say I've always found the best landlords were those doing it a long while and probably had multiple properties

The worst are amateurs. Maybe they bought a house and moved into their partners house, maybe they emigrated, etc
    Anyway they are new to the game. They never planned to be a landlord, just found themselves in that situation
    And some ignore you and some call around to "their house"

Give me a professional and experienced landlord anyday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yeah, on any public board you will only hear the horror stories - from both sides.

A LL is not an authority; this is the root of much of the problem, they many of them because they own the property see themselves as a power there.

There needs to be equality; this is one thing the Tenancy Act aims to say. Landlord NOT overlord.

And RPs ideas re those of us who have to stand up for privacy etc are way out. Because a LL is not an authority; needs to be an equal partner and arguably a lesser partner as they are profiting financially and in any other service industry would be minding their manners.

If eg Gardai etc get out of line, there is a procedure, Same with LLs only many do not yet accept that.

The historical idea is a no go. An excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Graces7 wrote: »
    A LL is not an authority; this is the root of much of the problem, they many of them because they own the property see themselves as a power there.

There needs to be equality; this is one thing the Tenancy Act aims to say. Landlord NOT overlord.

And RPs ideas re those of us who have to stand up for privacy etc are way out. Because a LL is not an authority; needs to be an equal partner and arguably a lesser partner as they are profiting financially and in any other service industry would be minding their manners.

If eg Gardai etc get out of line, there is a procedure, Same with LLs only many do not yet accept that.

The historical idea is a no go. An excuse.

What you missed there was the point.

People see LLs as anuthority and due to their feelings brought up by history leasons see LL as some kind of evil.

The reality is a LL is an authority on your rented home as they determine what you can do there. The LL has to allow you do certain things such as own pets, decorate etc... The same way a shop owner is an authority in his shop. The idea that somebody should be lesser becasue they provide a service is pretty horrific thinking and sounds like people who don't want people equal but just want to be in charge. It is also not true try doing what ever you like in a hotel

A LL can ultimately decide to ask you to leave and unless you decide to actually start stealing the service you don't really have a say. There are regulation on both parties to act a particular way. WHo ever thinks the rental laws give them the ability to do what they want is missing the point completely. They aren't perfect and do allow tenants to simply stop paying rent but it doesn't mean a LL has no rights. The main inequity comes when the tenant has no money to pay arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have struck gold with mine, he is a really decent guy, when anything goes wrong, he will go out of his way to help. We pay probably a little more than the average but in my opinion, having him as a LL makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

gambiaman wrote: »
    Yeah, on any public board you will only hear the horror stories - from both sides.

Exactly!. Who is going to open a thread here saying my LL gives me a Christmas present every year?!!

I find thread titles like these so irritating and making such generalised sweeping statements that "everybody" hates their LL is just daft and pointless. It's like saying why are all people from such a place such **** just because an OP would have bad experience with a few of them! Why not just change it to "Why do some tenants hate their landlords?" I'm not or never was a LL btw and was a tenant for many years so no accusations of bias please!

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I get on very well with all my tenants. Each Christmas I give them a present and have been invited to their weddings, christening etc...

I have some terrible tenants and I know people who have had terrible LLs.

There are a lot of people who just don't like the idea of a LL at all. Some people expect the world just becasue they are renting and it is a "service". There are certainly people who resent LL as they are "paying their mortgage".

History in Ireland has certainly passed on the notion of all LL being evil or money grabbing.

Anybody who has any issue with authority will likely have a problem with a LL. It is pretty much the same type of person who always says the governemnt are to blame for everything and the the gaurdi can't be trusted etc... They will be the same with LL as everybody knows, they all fiddle tax, rent hovilles and will stamp on any right you have.

Ah, the Lady Bountiful aspect which fits so much else that you have said.
    Certainly in keeping with your insistence on a historical angle, which I disagree with.

Not what most here would like or seek, myself included..
    Best LL is one you never see unless there is a repair needing doing. Rent paid punctiliously by standing order,

But then.. our LL keeps promising a coal delivery which we sorely need. It never arrives sadly. We have to see the intention as the deed sometimes and this is another Irish trait.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What you missed there was the point.

People see LLs as anuthority and due to their feelings brought up by history leasons see LL as some kind of evil.

The reality is a LL is an authority on your rented home as they determine what you can do there. The LL has to allow you do certain things such as own pets, decorate etc... The same way a shop owner is an authority in his shop. The idea that somebody should be lesser becasue they provide a service is pretty horrific thinking and sounds like people who don't want people equal but just want to be in charge. It is also not true try doing what ever you like in a hotel

A LL can ultimately decide to ask you to leave and unless you decide to actually start stealing the service you don't really have a say. There are regulation on both parties to act a particular way. WHo ever thinks the rental laws give them the ability to do what they want is missing the point completely. They aren't perfect and do allow tenants to simply stop paying rent but it doesn't mean a LL has no rights. The main inequity comes when the tenant has no money to pay arrears.

You are misreading what I mean by authority. A ll has ONLY the power and authority the Law gives him. Your posts reveal your way of getting round that neatly; wonder what your tenants would make of your posts.

It is clear that you insistof YOUR rights but rarely mention OUR rights, and this is what we have seen and endured in all these years in Ireland.

You just don't get what I mean by a difference between LL and OL ( overlord)

THEM and US is a shameful philosophy.

And seeing only the finanical aspect only is strange. Especially if you are seeing tenants as with some kind of social involvement.

At the end of the day, you act as you see fit; if that is fine with you then no self-defence is needed.

Many of us have had appalling experiences renting and these leave scars and make us very, very wary. This is so in this house. So we are wary and careful and now WE make the running.

Last month we had a scare as it seemed the LL was selling out from under us; been there had that done. And just now with health issues etc another move is totally impossible. Yet once again on daft and calling agents.. most of whom never even replied.

We trust the agent here; so we enlisted his help. He was as shocked as we were and sorted it out. The landlord here has such a broad Cork accent I can still not catch more than one word in twenty! So an interpreter is needed.

And the agent knows us and knows the LL. He does a fine job on the few occasions we have had to contact him.

Experience speaks louder than anything else. In ten years we have had seven addresses and been appallingly treated time after time.

We hope and pray that this time we have found safe haven for these last years. I hate making the running and calling the shots, but there seems no alternative in Ireland.

Closing down now until after Christmas so replies will not be seen now. Trading as late as Christmas Eve to strive to give the homeless some Christmas fare.Because we are always one step away from what they suffer. And we are constantly aware of this. Life has become precarious renting and the hassles we have had trying to avoid a move are appalling and not once ever our fault. Not once has rent been late or missing and we have never treated a house badly. This month we were left with 3 cents after rent went out.

Every time the problem has happened because the LL either was ignorant of tenant rights or chose to go against it. eg serving notice during a fixed lease. The utter hassle of it all just gets too much and it was only the support of threshold and citizens inof that helped us. But thus far and no further is the way now.

We simply need to be left in peace. With a life that is not all about fighting for our real rights.

This is the first time in I think seven years we have been at a house for a second Christmas. ALLELUIA!

Blessings and peace to all here at this Holy Time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement