Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much on train from Dublin to Kilkenny

Options
  • 20-12-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I checked on irishrail.ie but it keeps saying
    'You Must select at least one option from each bookable leg of the journey'

I DID! And it won't let me proceed, keeps saying that.

Just looking at how much it cost for a return journey, 1 student.
    Or is the bus cheaper?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

bus is about half the price of the train

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

i124Q wrote: »

Or is the bus cheaper?

Thanks.

It says it on the site there, €29 return. To be fair that's about how much it costs me in petrol.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

JJ Kavanaghs is about €15 return, and you get straight into the City Centre instead of adding the LUAS charges if you get the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If you're a student the Bus Eireann one is €12 return. I won't be getting a train for the foreseeable future anyway. The time you supposedly save by the speed of the train will be eaten up by getting the luas anyway, and that's before you consider the absolute rip-off that it is compared to the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

If you're a student the Bus Eireann one is €12 return. I won't be getting a train for the foreseeable future anyway. The time you supposedly save by the speed of the train will be eaten up by getting the luas anyway, and that's before you consider the absolute rip-off that it is compared to the bus.

Nice one. How long does it take usually? Just out of curiosity. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

140-150 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Nice one. How long does it take usually? Just out of curiosity. ;)

Depends on the time of day. If you're heading up there around 3 then expect it to take 2.5 hours. If you're leaving late at night then it should be quicker.

I went up there on Saturday. Unfortunately there was an accident on the road between Heuston and O'Connell Street. We were moving at a rate of no more than 10 metres every 3 minutes, easily. The driver said he couldn't let me off on the side of the road in case I got knocked. Thankfully he pulled in to a parking spot and let the whole bus off. If he didn't we'd have been there another 20-25 minutes.

That's honestly the only hassle I've had with them. They generally arrive late in Kilkenny but the driver has the time made up by the time we hit Dublin. Never underestimate the absolute beauty of bus lanes. Makes everything so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Return to Dublin for a student is €19.80 but only if you have the Student Travel Card which this current one is the pinky coloured card they do not accept individual college cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Or is the bus cheaper?

Thanks.

Usually about 32.50 for the train.

Advertisement