Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google/Amazon self e publishing

• 20-12-2011 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering does anyone know if there's a minimum length? I'm interested in publishing a humble article?. It's being considered by a journal but that would be a year before publication and my passion will have died. Does anyone know?.
    Thanks
    F

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There's no mimimun length, or at least, if there is, it's tiny. I've read a lot of short storys and very short stuff e-published on Amazon, and there's no problem as long as you know what you are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Oh that's good Eileen!:) Has anyone else here done it? anything I need to be aware of?...

Just make sure people know they are buying an article, not a full length book, and price accordingly. You can return a Kindle within seven days, and a common reason is that they were expecting one thing (full book) and got another (short story).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks Eileen,did I read that there is an up front fee to Google of E100?.
    Maybe 50 cent would be a reasonable price for an article? 30 cent even? It's not about money for me,it's about making the information available in the public domain. A draft exists,I may still go down the jorournal route but if it doesn't come off I'll go Google.

As far as I know, there's no fee to post on Amazon, they take a cut of your royalties. They have an odd pricing structure, so a 99 cent story only makes 34 cent for the author, but a $2.99 one makes around $2.00. And once you go over $10.00, the percentage drops again.

I'd go for Amazon and Smashwords. I think between them, they cover a huge chunk of the market.

If you have a website, you could post it for free there, and see how many hits you get on it. But putting a price on it on Amazon may well convince people that it's valuable information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement