Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What path to take

Options
  • 20-12-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking to get some certs done over the new 12 months. I'm interested in networking and vmware cloud technologies.

Would like to get your opinion on what is the best path to take?

CCNA --> CCNA Security and so on..
    Or
    SCSA --> SCNA and then onto VMWare ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

neonman wrote: »
    SCSA --> SCNA and then onto VMWare ?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

?

Sun Certified System Administrator (SCSA)
    Sun Certified Network Administrator (SCNA)

And then start looking at some VMWare courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Weird choice if your just generally naming certs to aim for. The majority of the support market in Ireland is Windows for OS, Cisco for networking, VMWare for Hypervisors and Citrix for App Virtualisation. So thats where the jobs are going to come up. Yeah the Sun certs might be nice to get, but getting a job out of them in a tiny market could prove incredibly difficult.

Weird choice if your just generally naming certs to aim for. The majority of the support market in Ireland is Windows for OS, Cisco for networking, VMWare for Hypervisors and Citrix for App Virtualisation. So thats where the jobs are going to come up. Yeah the Sun certs might be nice to get, but getting a job out of them in a tiny market could prove incredibly difficult.

Thanks Cuddlesworth.

The reason I thought it would be good to get the Sun certs or even Linux certs would be a good base to move into VMWare. Could be totally wrong?

Like the Network/security side of things which interest me a lot and so does the VMWare and Cloud computing..Just trying to get an idea were the jobs will be in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hi guys,

I'm interested in networking and vmware cloud technologies.

Well then the Cisco track imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Thanks Cuddlesworth.

The reason I thought it would be good to get the Sun certs or even Linux certs would be a good base to move into VMWare. Could be totally wrong?

Like the Network/security side of things which interest me a lot and so does the VMWare and Cloud computing..Just trying to get an idea were the jobs will be in the next few years.

you need some linux for vmware but very little. LPI will do nicely.

ccna / ccnp + vcp

mickman wrote: »
    you need some linux for vmware but very little. LPI will do nicely.

ccna / ccnp + vcp

Thanks

networking it is the more I research the more I find myself down the IP networking path.

Advertisement