Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable teacher /pupil physical contact?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what you parents think is acceptable and unacceptable physical contact between a teacher and pupil.

My daughter 12 just came back from school, they had a trip to the cinema and she told me one of the female teachers put their hands in the pockets of the kids trousers (boys and girls) to see if they were carrying sweets and or mobile phones.

She was wearing a skirt and had no pockets, so they did no check her, but either way it makes me uncomfortable, I would assume they would have to ask parents permission to do do such a thing? is putting your hand in a 12 years olds front pocket/back pocket acceptable or unacceptable?

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, I would consider that to be completely ridiculous and highly inappropriate.

Based on what you are saying, it makes very little sense.

1) Why would anyone be that paranoid about sweets?

2) Patting someone down / searching their person is usually something that should only be carried out by a Garda, prison officer or customs official in a controlled and supervised environment and normally it will be a female officer searching a female etc etc.

3) What teacher in their right mind would do something like that? Even if the intention was totally innocent, it could lead to all sorts of issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

They were allowed no sweets/drinks in the Cinema and searched the kids to make sure nothing was taken in. I dont like it at all. I was quite shocked when she told me in the car. If something was stolen then i might think it was boarder line ok (but would still need a parents permission to search them), but to check for sweets seems way over the top.

Thank god she only has till June with them and she will be in secondary!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bring this issue up with the school.
    Chances are that there is more to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement