Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque not cleared past 7 working days!!

Options
  • 20-12-2011 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

I lodged a BOI cheque into my Ulster Bank account 10am on Friday 9th of December. Today is the Tuesday 20th of December and it still has not cleared.

They say the cheque is with the fraud squad and they can not give me a definative answer on when it will be cleared. The reason it is with fraud investigations is that I had not used the account in 9 months and the cheque is over €4000.

I lodged the cheque in on Friday.
    The people who issued the cheque got a call on the following Monday asking was this legit, which they said yes.
    The money was taking from there account Tuesday and yet here i sit and still the money is not in my account.

I have been in touch with the fraud team and they said they are waiting to hear back from the drawer, when I told them I know they have heard back from them since last week they told me well the girl dealing with my case is not there. Basically I cant get an answer to why I dont have the money or when it will be cleared. Is this legal?

It has been over 7 working days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

By the fraud squad do they mean the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

no ha ha. There own in house investigations.

Do you have another account you can lodge it into?

its too late at this stage! I just want to know is what there doing legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

I bank with Ulster Bank and they can be a pain in the a£$% to deal with, particularly their fraud section.

The subtext here is that they don't want your account, and will make it a pain to get this money back from them because they don't like how you are operating the account.

My advice is to keep after them every day until you get your money. Once you get it, close the account if you possibly can, because they possibly have marked your account for special attention.

• Advertisement

Bit sh**y to treat someone like that before christmas all the same.

You could probably ask for your cheque back. The cheque may well still be in the branch where you lodged it.

They are unlikely to like you doing this but I would try to push them to either return the cheque or give you the value for it. It will be difficult for them to refuse this. The cheque is your property, not theirs.

If you do not have somewhere else to lodge it or cannot get paid by alternative means however, this might not be so wise.

Advertisement