Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's the boss?

• 20-12-2011 5:10pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What happens when the boss/owner of a company is arrested and charged with something serious (enough for bail to be denied)? Who decides who takes over running the business and how? If the boss is no longer in a position to sign anything, how would the administrative side of things work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If the company is big enough, I assume the board of directors would hold an EGM and decide between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

It depends on the company. A large one would have procedures in place setting out what happens if a manager is out of the picture but a small one quite possibly wouldn't.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm thinking 30-40 employees. I'm also thinking I should have at least some basic knowledge of how companies work.

There'd probably be some next of kin situation in a small enterprise, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

A company of 30-40 employees would be classed as a small company. Companies of this size would be Private Limited meaning there are a group of shareholders ranging from 2 to 50. These shareholders appoint one or more directors who in turn appoint a Chief Executive Officer to run the company day-to-day.

Often in small companies like these the shareholders will also be the directors and one of them will be the CEO.

In the event that the CEO was arrested the normal procedure would be for the nextmost senior executive to take on a caretaker role with approval from the directors. In a small company this is typically the Chief Financial Officer by dint of seniority.

If this became a longterm issue the directors would meet to decide on how to proceed, either appointing one amongst them, promoting tsomeone or advertising the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Ye may need to change your bank mandate to allow Ye to sign cheques. For this Ye will need a board meeting where new nominees are signed off by a director and the company secretary.

If the incapacitated CEO is the CS then you'll need to appoint a new CEO using b10.

• Advertisement

I AM

sorry i've been resisting that every time i see this thread title

bluewolf wrote: »
    I AM

sorry i've been resisting that every time i see this thread title

At least you didn't say Tony Danza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

smcgiff wrote: »
    Ye may need to change your bank mandate to allow Ye to sign cheques. For this Ye will need a board meeting where new nominees are signed off by a director and the company secretary.

If the incapacitated CEO is the CS then you'll need to appoint a new CEO using b10.

In my experience limited companies always require two signatures to a cheque and always have three signatories. Single sign cheques are more the province of the self-employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Arfan wrote: »
    In my experience limited companies always require two signatures to a cheque and always have three signatories. Single sign cheques are more the province of the self-employed.

A bit random, but correct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

What happens when the boss/owner of a company is arrested and charged with something serious (enough for bail to be denied)? Who decides who takes over running the business and how? If the boss is no longer in a position to sign anything, how would the administrative side of things work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Arfan wrote: »

That is correct but many small companies only have two directors, often the owner and their spouse, and either can sign cheques but it depends on what the bank mandate says.
    Most routine payments to suppliers, utilities and wages would be on direct debit so a company could manage for a while without somebody to sign the cheques. The real problem would be buying or selling property or other assets.

Say the other director is not actively involved in the running of the business and an interim (or permanent depending on how the trial pans out) manager needs to be put in place. Who would be able to choose this person and validate his or her contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

A manager would have to be appointed by the board of directors. If the other director isn't active in the business they will probably have to get active, which might send your plot off in another direction.

If your story is set in Ireland remember that allegations of a serious crime aren't enough to mean bail is refused. Many of those accused of murder get bail.

Advertisement