Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC without a case

Options
  • 20-12-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

excatly as the title says. I have all my components but no case and at this stage i dont see my self getting a case this side of Christmas week, and I cant wait that long...

I would like to get some feed back about ways to do this and any advice on how to go about it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Stick the motherboard on top of the box it came in, and you're pretty much set. I've done it plenty of times for testing stuff; it really just is computer assembly, minus the case. Everything else is the same.

Make sure not to kick any components when walking around the room if you build it on the floor! ( I lost an optical drive doing this. ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LittleMc95

But beside the danger or kicking it :L is there any way components could be damaged or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Once the board is insulated from ground it'll be fine (e.g. on a box is fine). The danger is something like water or whatever spilling on the open board and shorting it.

Oh another this i just remembered is how am i supposed to turn it on?

What motherboard did you get? Some of them have onboard power and reset switches.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

ya just use a screwdriver to short the power connection (ie where you would connect the power cable from the case)

Touch them together and if all is in order your MB will post

Nope, don't look like it has any. In that case, you'll need to jump the PSU's power switch circuit. (No, it's not as horrible as it sounds, don't worry)

Basically, all you're doing it is pressing the power switch manually. Plug in all your components as normal, and if you want to start it, you stick a paperclip into the two correct wire holes on the PSU's 24-pin connector.

Have a look at this image. You want to connect the green wire (PS_ON) to any other black wire (COM), and your computer will start. I do it all the time when I have to test watercooling loops outside of my case.

how can you do that when that 24 pin is connected to the mo bo?

You can stick the pin/paperclip/whatever in the same side as the wires, there's plenty of room.

• Advertisement

is there any easier way of doing it?

or is there any danger to doing this?

LittleMc95 wrote: »
    or is there any danger to doing this?

It's only 12 volts so it's perfectly safe voltage wise. A power switch effectively does the same thing as shorting these two wires so it's perfectly safe for the motherboard (if you short the wrong ones no power will flow so again, no danger).

i didnt mean any danger to me if that what you meant ?:L

so if i accidentally touch the other pins nothing will happen or be damaged?

also how can i turn it off then? I dont have windows installed yet im planning on doing that if i go throught with it out side a case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wait!! why couldn't he just jump the power pins on the motherboard? I wouldn't go near the power supply(even though it's safe if done right)

If the PSU isn't connected to the motherboard, things won't get power.

so your saying just pull the plug?

Serephucus wrote: »
    If the PSU isn't connected to the motherboard, things won't get power.

But can't he just connect the psu as normal and then jump the power on pin on the motherboard?

Yes, and that's what I told him, but if the PSU is connected, the 24-pin connector covers the power pins, so the connector has to be jumped instead. It's effectively the same thing.

The 24 pin connector covers does not cover these pins.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVR5oHWfny44SuD6Lv_bN3GdINFuCFf2PeJ-53ay-1m2QUwcsk2BMgzFqsDw

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You might want to place a desk-fan near it when its turned on

• Advertisement

Oh, my, gaaaaawd. I'm such a blonde.

Yeah, OP? Do what tuxy says. I'm apparently quite the tool today.

yeah thats what i heard of doing before...:L i had no idea what you were talking about, can you even do that?

Yes. What I'm thinking of powers components without a motherboard.

heh :)

OP what you want to do is find the pins I posted a pic of. Might look a bit different on your motherboard. Look for the two small pins marked pw.

Then using a small flat head screwdriver bridge them.

so just tip a screwdriver off the two power switch pins?

Yeah, all that happens with their method is the same as if you pushed down on the power switch and bridged the two pins/wires that way.

yeah thats what i heard of doing before...:L i had no idea what you were talking about, can you even do that?

Yeah it works fine, it's identical to shorting the two motherboard power pins. Just more complicated. All you're doing with both is completing the circuit and that tells the machine to try and turn on.

alright thats grand so. thanks for that lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Like I said 15 posts ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Watch this video from 14 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

• Advertisement

how would you do that to this mo bo
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43137&agid=1601

i looked in the manual and it shows only one pin for the pwrbtw?

Advertisement