Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless problem

Options
  • 20-12-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭

My family have being having problems with the wireless in the house for a while now.

Mainly with my brothers xbox he cant seem to pick up constant wireless signal out in the kitchen or in his room upstairs.

Have tried both older model with wireless adapter and new with built in adapter.

The weird thing is i can pick wireless up on my phone anywhere in the house weather its out the back room or up in my bedroom and ive never had any major problems. Me ma s laptop had similar problems to the xbox the connection was there but it was not connecting fully.

I know there can be a distance problem with routers. The router is at the front of the house in my room downstairs im using the cable not the wireless. If i move the router i am going to have to put it in the hall and more then likely have another UPC point installed also. This would be hassle for me and so on as id have to change my internet to wireless and also move the phones around in the house as well.

Is there anyway of boosting a wireless signal other then moving the router??

I know you can probley buy something to extended it but what would u pick and is it even worth it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Wireless forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

My family have being having problems with the wireless in the house for a while now.

Mainly with my brothers xbox he cant seem to pick up constant wireless signal out in the kitchen or in his room upstairs.

Have tried both older model with wireless adapter and new with built in adapter.

The weird thing is i can pick wireless up on my phone anywhere in the house weather its out the back room or up in my bedroom and ive never had any major problems. Me ma s laptop had similar problems to the xbox the connection was there but it was not connecting fully.

I know there can be a distance problem with routers. The router is at the front of the house in my room downstairs im using the cable not the wireless. If i move the router i am going to have to put it in the hall and more then likely have another UPC point installed also. This would be hassle for me and so on as id have to change my internet to wireless and also move the phones around in the house as well.

Is there anyway of boosting a wireless signal other then moving the router??

I know you can probley buy something to extended it but what would u pick and is it even worth it??

Buy another router and connect that via wire from the UPC router and put that router to another part of the house where you get a very low signal. And when you're in that part of the house, connect to the new router instead of the UPC one. Should be cheap, go around adverts and look for one. I wouldn't buy one for more than 50 euro. P.S. if your device has WiFi connectivity, you don't have to have one of those USB adptor things so that's one less to buy.

EDIT: This setup is what I have in my house and it works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Buy another router and connect that via wire from the UPC router and put that router to another part of the house where you get a very low signal. And when you're in that part of the house, connect to the new router instead of the UPC one. Should be cheap, go around adverts and look for one. I wouldn't buy one for more than 50 euro. P.S. if your device has WiFi connectivity, you don't have to have one of those USB adptor things so that's one less to buy.

EDIT: This setup is what I have in my house and it works. :)

Connect the old router to the new router??? Is that what your saying?

Sorry if im being stupid just trying to figure ha
    I taught one router was all you could use with one connection.

The room im in now is where my stuff is that has the router and my pc wired to it.

I would need a router in the hall outside the door of my room but would they need to be wired together??

Connect the old router to the new router??? Is that what your saying?

Sorry if im being stupid just trying to figure ha
    I taught one router was all you could use with one connection.

The room im in now is where my stuff is that has the router and my pc wired to it.

I would need a router in the hall outside the door of my room but would they need to be wired together??

Router 1 = UPC Router
    Router 2 = New router (which you can buy in adverts.)

Setup:

You know the way you connect your computer to Router 1? (assuming your wired with cat5 as you've said in your previous post that you're hardwired) You connect Router 2 to the UPC router in the same way. But you would notice that in Router 2, there will be a different slot for 'internet' or something like that (it won't explode or anything so you can try different slots if you can't locate where it says something about 'internet'), you connect Router 2 and Router 1 via that slot, using the same cable as you use with your computer (you would have to invest in a pretty long cat5 cable as you have to make this reach the area where you want to put Router 2 with no stress on both the routers and the wire). :)

Additional info: Basically, Router 2 will just be like another device to Router 1 being served with internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks ill have a proper look when i get the chance. Doing my head having to constantly fix everyone elses wireless in this house. I brought ma s laptop into front room works perfect bring it back sitting fecking gone again ****ing annoying.

• Advertisement

Thanks ill have a proper look when i get the chance. Doing my head having to constantly fix everyone elses wireless in this house. I brought ma s laptop into front room works perfect bring it back sitting fecking gone again ****ing annoying.

It's great to have two routers. It allows more devices to be plugged in through WiFi/wire. It's easy enough to set it up. Just need the right spot, plug, cables and turn it on. That's it.

Advertisement