Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Christmas tree lights.

Options
  • 20-12-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello folks.
    I have some new Christmas tree lights (outdoor) which I would like to put on a small tree outside. The cable from the tree back to the electrical socked (indoors) is to short.

My question is can I cut the lights cable and add in a new piece ( about three meters) and then make new connection.

This would mean the plug would be safely indoors.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi Projectx,

joining these caables is not the best idea really, even though it will be a low voltage arrangement, there are kits that you can get that are waterproof but i don't know if it would be worth your while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

That Dribox is exactly what I had in mind as a recommendation. Well priced too and also should be available in many electrical Wholesalers.

FMartinp wrote: »
    That Dribox is exactly what I had in mind as a recommendation. Well priced too and also should be available in many electrical Wholesalers.

yes
    the local electrical wholesaler will be cheaper too
    just used this link to identify what the op may require

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Don't think they're much cheaper than €20 Inc vat. It's a good price from Woodies on this occasion.

• Advertisement

FMartinp wrote: »
    Don't think they're much cheaper than €20 Inc vat. It's a good price from Woodies on this occasion.

maybe weve found that elusive bargain so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

meercat wrote: »
    maybe weve found that elusive bargain so:D
    To be fair, there are certain things in Woodies and B&Q that are cheaper than wholesalers. A branded outdoor socket can be near €50 in a wholesaler, and about €30 or so for the same in B&Q. I've seen MK gear in B&Q go for cheaper than wholesaler prices too, and that's with trade discount in wholesaler and not in B&Q.
    Then they rob you blind on most other stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

Thanks for the replies folks.
    That box looks good.

Is it ok to cut the two strand cable (from the lights ) and insert a length approx 10' long and then reconnect with blocks and tape up.
    Its the cutting of the cable Im not sure about.
    Can I use simple two strand cable . (strand ....not sure of name)

Thanks.

i wouldnt recommend cutting the cable
    if you run a 5 metre extension lead like this out to the box,you can plug the lights into it without any joints
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-Gang-Extension-Metre-White/dp/B0001P0GDK

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

The reason I was thinking of cutting the cable and then inserting an extention and then rejoining was to keep plugs indoors.

• Advertisement

Projectx wrote: »
    The reason I was thinking of cutting the cable and then inserting an extention and then rejoining was to keep plugs indoors.

still wouldnt recommend cutting the cable and joining it outdoors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Projectx wrote: »
    Hello folks.
    I have some new Christmas tree lights (outdoor) which I would like to put on a small tree outside. The cable from the tree back to the electrical socked (indoors) is to short.

My question is can I cut the lights cable and add in a new piece ( about three meters) and then make new connection.

This would mean the plug would be safely indoors.

Thanks.

Listen to what people are talling you here.
    Dont start chopping up and rejointing lights to run them outdoors.

Simply pay out 15 euro for a set of 200 outdoor warm white LED lights in Lidl.

They have a 10 meter lead from the 1st bulb back to the traffo and then another 1.5 meters to the plug.The plug can be then plugged into an indoor socket and run through the window.You can also put the lights on a 24 hour timer,so that the lights come on and go off at a time that suits you.

Simple as that and job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I did this last year, i did in fact cut the elv cable out to the led lights, i cut one core 12 inches shorter than the other, and the extension bit the same, soldered and heat shrink.

A bit of dampness getting into 12v connections that far apart will have no affect on the setup. But i put a little silicone sealant on each join so it ended up inside the heat shrink anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can also put the lights on a 24 hour timer,so that the lights come on and go off at a time that suits you.

Simple as that and job done.

I had made a light sensing extension lead and PCB board to turn them on at night, working perfect, now need a hired hand that can put the lights out in the garden for me:eek:

Advertisement