Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are many people ready to buy ?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Is there many of you ready to buy in the new year? Like in the 1st few months

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Since i live in dublin and i'm single. i've resigned myself to never be able to afford a home. Just cant be done on a single persons salary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Will probably buy in the next 3 years, but definately not while prices are still falling substantially. Too risky in any case until the eurozones problems are sorted one way or the other and we start to see some level of normality emerge. Haven't bothered looking for mortgage approval or made any enquiries with estate agents and have no inclination to do so for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Skatedude wrote: »
    Since i live in dublin and i'm single. i've resigned myself to never be able to afford a home. Just cant be done on a single persons salary

You wont be single forever.

Alot of people can probably afford to buy next year, but I hope the young with dreams of a nice life, are not so foolish.

For the young its just a dream.

There are loads of retired or near retirement age civil servants like teachers, guards, local authority staff, esb staff etc with huge bank accounts ready to become future landlords I would imagine.

I know a few of them.On big money for the last 15 years just waiting.

We will never have the easy earning potential they had, a golden generation that lot.Fella I play soccer with is only 42, joined the esb when he was 17 training as an electrician, he is earning well over 75k a year now and his below in the council office stamping forms and photocopying is raking it in too.

Fair play to them would love to have had that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

wait until NAMA start offloading what they have, probably in Jan/Feb....that will have the effect of driving down the market even further..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Yes, I will buy something in the new year. Cash buyer but very limited amount of money - under 85k. 2/3 bed bungalow or apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Unfortunately I got on the ladder in 05. I think the opposite to what happened in the boom is now happening, as in people are being talked out of buying. If I was in the market for a house and the one I wanted came up in the location I wanted I wouldn't allow any economist talk me out of it if I could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

not ready to buy but really gonna put the head down after xmas and save save save.Myself and other half have the guts of 15k saved. I have car loan of 5k which will be paid off by june. What sort of deposit should you be aiming for on 200k house before you approach banks and mortgage brokers before they will entertain you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Have the money but not thinking of buying for a few years. Catching a falling knife and all that, I see no rush - particularly as the government are still pushing gimicks to artificially try and prop up house prices. I particularly don't like the way NAMA is holding back a flood of property, I know the minute I buy that will all appear on the market the day after.

Unfortunately I got on the ladder in 05. I think the opposite to what happened in the boom is now happening, as in people are being talked out of buying. If I was in the market for a house and the one I wanted came up in the location I wanted I wouldn't allow any economist talk me out of it if I could afford it.
    Banks have no money, most young people lucky enough to be employed have no job security, the entire eurozone is in chaos, we have a raft of new property related taxes in the pipeline, NAMA could flood the market at any time under direction from the troika and property is falling at a rate of over 10% a year. Nobody should need to be talked out of buying at the moment. Unless you are a cash buyer or you are in very safe employment then it would be risky to buy property now. That said I have no doubt that if the banks announced 110% mortgages in the morning they would have plenty of takers, there are lots of people who have learned nothing from our crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

hmmm wrote: »
    Have the money but not thinking of buying for a few years. Catching a falling knife and all that, I see no rush - particularly as the government are still pushing gimicks to artificially try and prop up house prices. I particularly don't like the way NAMA is holding back a flood of property, I know the minute I buy that will all appear on the market the day after.

Why are they holding it back?

Robbie G wrote: »
    Why are they holding it back?
    Because if they put thousands of apartments and houses for sale at market clearing prices the drop in asking prices generally would accelerate rapidly, and probably trigger thousands of mortgage defaults as people in negative equity lose all sense of hope for the future. The business plan is to sell the properties off over time thus artificially propping up the market. No doubt they have some real turkeys on their books that will never sell, but they also have apartments etc in Dublin which would sell as long as the price was right. Also Nama can't simply sell properties until they move against the developer who owns the loan. If the said developer is paying back even the interest on what they owe, and there is a reasonable chance that he can repay some or most of the money they will leave him to his own devices rather than move in and sell the properties in question at a big discount, so they may be giving certain developers a chance to work their way out of difficulty rather than "holding back". They have moved against a number of high profile developers lately so it will be an interesting few years ahead. God help those who buy these places after they have been vacant and left to the elements for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Michael525

BOI are giving mortgages at the moment, anyone who disputes that clearly has no idea what they are talking about (sorry).

Yes you are scrutinized must more than back in day but they will lend if you meet the requirements. A 10% or greater deposit is a good start ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Oh man yeah, when gaffs on Shrewsbury Road hit €8,000 I'm totally sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Clooney George

Since i stay in London and i'm individual. i've reconciled myself to never be able to pay for a house. Just cant be done on 1 individuals salary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'm hoping to buy something modest at some stage in 2013, but it's all conditional on whether I stay in gainful employment until then. I don't know if I'll be able to afford Dublin though. If the current work I'm doing (I can telecommute) keeps up I might choose somewhere cheap in some other county. Donegal appeals to me but my friends from there think I'm nuts for considering buying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

abbywhite wrote: »
    I am a Chinese girl.
    Now I am lost my way in the forums.:mad:

You in a thread where Irish people discuss buying property next year. Trust me, you are not the only one lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

We need to move to a family home but with neither of us working we will probably rent out our 2 bed and rent something bigger for a few years. Not ideal but no choice really. Well thats all supposing my oh doesn`t get a job offer abroad then off we go altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm hoping to buy soon. With regards nama. I've seen what they have and Tbhin Dublin they have only crap Celtic tiger apartments. I want a well built house. I'm looking at houses around the 250 mark. I'm paying 15k rent a year, so would still be up if the house price drops a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

We plan on buying in early 2012. We are looking at an estate that we would never have been able to afford in the tiger era. We have negative equity on an apartment that will probably be a noose around us for a long time but luckily we have a considerable cash amount for this purchase. We feel it is the right time for us. We could hang on and on but I don't want to live my whole life on hold and at the end of the day there is more to life than money!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Reay but far far far from willing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

Went Sale Agreed this week and will be closing within the next couple of weeks.

I know that prices are still dropping but I've been waiting for a about a year and a half now and viewing various houses that whole time and finally something became available in the ideal location for us that I could see myself living in for the rest of my life and I believe I've got a reasonably fair price so I'm going ahead with it despite knowing that the house will inevitably drop in value over the next year or so. We can afford quite comfortably afford the house now and if interest rates went up another 2-3% so bit the bullet despite knowing its not the best idea financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to buy soon. With regards nama. I've seen what they have and Tbhin Dublin they have only crap Celtic tiger apartments. I want a well built house. I'm looking at houses around the 250 mark. I'm paying 15k rent a year, so would still be up if the house price drops a bit.

1250 a month rent.

Why?

Surely you can find something cheaper, that's beyond mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a nice house in killiney, there's me my misses and two little babies. Could get cheaper but not as nice of an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

I'm looking to close the deal in two weeks now. How bout the rest of you

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

There is still very little value to be found.

I'll buy at anytime but only when I find decent value for money.

Too many houses i was looking at need massive money put in to bring them up to a decent standard, the sellers are still trying to sell without this taken into consideration at all, which is typical of the Irish seller in most cases.

With the new property tax coming in, house prices will continue to drop for a few years yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Skatedude wrote: »
    Since i stay in London and i'm individual. i've reconciled myself to never be able to pay for a house. Just cant be done on 1 individuals salary

What the dickens?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

We went sale agreed a couple of weeks ago and hope to sign by mid Jan.

Like Learpholl, we are buying in an our ideal location at a very reasonable price that we can comfortably afford, knowing full well that prices will drop further, and costs will rise.

Although it is absolutely critical to be informed about, and understand the financial aspects, it's not all about the money. There are also personal factors that we took into account before deciding to go ahead and buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've been ready to buy for a few years now, but have no intention of doing so until prices start to normalise. At one point all I could afford was a 1 bed apartment, now I'm in the range of a 3/4 bed house, with the area getting better and better as time goes by.

In addition, the introduction of a property tax should help to normalise some of the crazy asking prices out there. While it will be an unpleasant tax to pay, it should remove some of the madness and increase the selection within certain bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Nope just bought a few months ago and we're nearly finished doing it up ready to move in in the new yr. 4bed bungalow with garage on 1 acre €75,000 + €25,000 to do it up including renewing electrics and plumbing.

Might not be everybodys ideal but it was the right house in the right location so it suited us and it didn't make sense to keep waiting and hoping something better or a better price came along. You never know what the future holds, if we did none of us would be worrying about house prices as we'd have won the euromillions by now ;)

Advertisement