Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 141: Lesnar -V- Overeem

• 20-12-2011 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Seeing as it's just ten days until the biggest fight ever I thought maybe we should start a thread and get down to discussing the battle that awaits.

This fight is reminiscent of Daley Diaz where I didn't want either man to have to lose, but just edged slightly towards Diaz in the end. I'm the same this time,big fan of both men, but I really hope Overeem does it just to mix it up in the division more than anything else. He really is an animal of a man and I'd love to see him bring his hammer to the Octagon.

I think the key to the cage has to be whether or not Ubereem can defend the takedown. If lesnar gets it, lesnar wins, if overeem defends it, it's gonna be a long night for brocky.

What do you guys think? Who you backing for the W?

PS Love the reem video below

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lesnar wins this and convincingly!

I don't think Lesnar is really stupid enough to want to stand with Overeem, especially since he has such a glaring advantage on the ground.

if Lesnar is smart, he'll plant Reem on his back and once he does he'll smash him to pieces.

Bad first fight for Overeem stylistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I want Lesnar to win just to prove me right in an argument about this fight with a mate.:pac:

I wanna see Overeem win because I like the idea of Reem v JDS better than Lesnar v JDS.

Also, the video in the OP is super!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I wanna see Overeem win because I like the idea of Reem v JDS better than Lesnar v JDS.

Also, the video in the OP is super!

Honestly think JDS would make mincemeat out of Overeem.

Lesnar vs JDS would be good because it won't be as easy defending lesnars takedowns as easily as say Carwin or valasquez.

Brocks immense strength would be a huge hurdle for JDS.

Anyway back on topic, I think lesnar wins this if he takes it straight to the ground, however if reem even gets close to lesnar he could take it, as brock hates being hit in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Easy win for Brock i feel, IF he cant take him down it will be a wuick fight either way, Overeem has been KO'd many times and a clumsy over hand right by lesnar could do it, or Overeem will just fold lesnar up and finish him with knee's.

Then JDS will have an easy time of either of them in my opinion.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i think brock will take him, i can see overeem getting taking down and gassing, plus he wont want to risk kicking brock. plus overeem has lost to the top opponents hes faced; liddell, nog, rua, arona

im goin to bet on brock too, 5/4 is a great price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

I'm more interested in the co main event, Diaz and Cerrone will steal the show in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Frank Mir has picked Lesner to win and seemed to have no doubt about the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

pauldoo wrote: »
    i think brock will take him, i can see overeem getting taking down and gassing, plus he wont want to risk kicking brock. plus overeem has lost to the top opponents hes faced; liddell, nog, rua, arona

Honestly i would overlook those fights. Hes a whole nother beast these days. That being said its a hard one to call. I was very unimpressed with Reem against Werdum. But as someone else said, Brock is terrified of being punched in the face, so if Reem can land a decent punch Brock would probably fold up like a big girlyman. Brock will take the GnP. Reem will gas. Brock wins in the second. Yeah nevermind Brock wins :D
    _oveless wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the co main event, Diaz and Cerrone will steal the show in my opinion.

This will be fun. Aside from the fact they are fighting i reeeeeeeally cant see them getting along. Diaz will taunt and Cerrone will go ballz out. Cerrone to win a slugfest...

• Advertisement

I dunno, I think Lesnar has it but if Overeem can land a good one like with Duffy then Lesnar is in trouble. Lesnar has an iron chin though, he runs away from them but he's never been put away with those big punches.

My guess, Overeem gasses after round 1 and Lesnar by TKO round 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I know it's easy to say Brock should just take him down and GnP his way to victory, but he could just as easily get caught like he did against Cain if he stands off and doesn't get in Overeem's face.
    And I'm sure Alistair focused his training on cardio, defending takedowns and getting up quickly off his back. Should be a cracker of a fight!

Diaz vs Cerrone for Fight of the Night though.

_oveless wrote: »

Of course, it'll be a beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Brock can't really take a punch though (he appears allergic to face punches), so I think the fight will depend on Overeem's/Lesnar's opening strategy, e.g. if Lesnar immediately takes him down he will will; if Overeem rushes him he may win.

Regardless, I can't wait, and I hope Overeem wins, simply because he seems like a nicer guy and it would be fun to have a new boy in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait to see Brock fight again, hope he's 100%. I don't think Reem will be able to stop the takedown and then it's gnp city. Although it's very possible for Reem to land a good shot and have Brock fold. Should be a great fight!

Mir had a lucky escape imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

pauldoo wrote: »

He was 6/4 a few weeks ago when I lumped on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Reem is training with wrestlers however not sure he will be able to stop Brocks double. Interesting fight, hope Reem is fit too as he will be flying after christmas from Holland to Vegas.

think he is going to be putting some movies up on thereem.com before and after the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Brock will just take him down, his takedowns are a lot more offensive than Verdum's
    Brock by G n P in the second round with Overeem knackered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Reckon Brock will win.

Diaz vs Cerrone is a brilliant fight! Both mad technical fighters with great stand up and an excellent ground game. Both aggressive and finishers also. I like both guys and it's a coin toss really but I just think Cerrone is on a tear and will get the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Brock v Overeem is the biggest fight ever? Not even the biggest fight of the night imo. Diaz v Cerrone I think will eclipse anything else on that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Brock r2 sub , cerrone ko r3 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Overeem is gonna walk through Lesnar, I dont think Brock has what it takes to beat someone with Overeems experience/stiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Presuming that both of them are healthy, this fight will answer which of them has done more work patching up the holes in their games. I'm leaning towards Lesnar winning if he's in condition, but wouldn't be too surprised if Overeem manages to catch him with a TKO.
    Most amusing possible outcome : Lesnar manages to KO Overeem, followed by the Internet screaming "I'm melting, I'm melting, oh what a world!"

Diaz vs Cerrone definitely appeals to me though. I think Nate may actually be a bit more composed than his brother, so it should be nice violent affair. Cerrone is a bit tighter and crisper, so I'm inclined to think he's take it, but in this sorta back and forth fight its always possible for an upset.
    God I love the light-weight division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Brock by severe crushage I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I have Overeem and Cerone. I'm thinking Overeem shoots on Brock which is probably what he isn't expecting. Overeem 2nd round GNP. I'm hoping to hear some "go get some DONALD CERONE" But it could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Seriously cannot understand anybody thinking Lesnar has a prayer. He will be destroyed by Reem. First round TKO, the only hole people can see in Reems game in respect to this fight is wrestling. So worst comes to worse Brock takes him don't, won't be long on his back. Reem has to much skill and too much experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

overeemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that other lads a tool

Seriously cannot understand anybody thinking Lesnar has a prayer.

No?
    the only hole people can see in Reems game in respect to this fight is wrestling.

Just as well Brock isn't a wrestle....... waaaaaaaait a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

some funny comments above haha, i think brock has a huge advantage in this fight, ya he doesnt like to get hit but he does have a good chin, brocks the 1 who can control this fight with his wrestling and strength, im taking brock by tko round 2, unless he gets stupid and keeps it on the feet. brock will push the pace but obviously anything can happen & i wont be surprised if overeem pulls it off either. diaz vs cerrone could be fight of the year, only way cerrone wins is by decision, he aint gonna ko or submit diaz, im takin diaz by sub in r3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Overeem has a suspect chin, which several Light Heavyweights have shown in knocking him out. Overeem is the better fighter, better on the feet, better submissions. Lesnar has better wrestling and I think both have equal power. I think Lesnar will win by KO. Just my gut reaction.

As for Diaz/Cerrone, I dont know why everyone is getting worked up? Diaz is a mediocre fighter and Cerrone, despite coming good is not a fighter I like stylistically, he strikes me as being from the GSP end of the Jackson stable, not a risk taker,but an effective and very strong brute. I think Cerrone will bore his way to a UD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

As for Diaz/Cerrone, I dont know why everyone is getting worked up? Diaz is a mediocre fighter and Cerrone, despite coming good is not a fighter I like stylistically, he strikes me as being from the GSP end of the Jackson stable, not a risk taker,but an effective and very strong brute. I think Cerrone will bore his way to a UD.

Diaz is still young and has some obvious skills, looked great in his last fight and a notable win over Guillard and beat Maynard on TUF. I would call him above mediocre.

Cerrone has finished 4 of his last 5 fights? He even admited himself he should have finished Rocha and was one of the most one sided beatings you'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

That's one of the funniest things i've read on here in a while. Cerrone has only been to a decision 5 times in 22 fights. He's an exciting fighter with great strikes and a solid submission game. To top it off, he's a game fighter, he happily stood with Denis Siver and dropped him a few times. This has the potential to be fight of the night. I'll predict Cerrone by TKO.

I see Lesnar securing an early take down and grinding down Overeem in the first round. It'll either be TKO at the end of the first or in the second. The only way I see Overeem winning is by catching Lesnar during a sloppy takedown attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

brock shoots for a take down and reem catchs him with a flying knee, lights out.

Hopefully.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Brock to win, setting up the final leg of the Mir trilogy ( which Mir will win )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Brock to win, setting up the final leg of the Mir trilogy ( which Mir will win )

If Brock wins he gets a title shot, something I cant see Frank reaching again. The beat chance of seeing Brock vs Mir III is if Brock loses to Reem.

And Brock vs Mir III would go the exact same way that Brock vs Mir II did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Cerrone is a serious fighter, Nate not so much, lives in his brothers shadow and isn't a patch of the fighter Nick is.

Easy night for the Cowboy I feel.

Lot of people picking Brock here, still feel like it depends on the Demo Man's takedown defence. He's obviously been practising it in camp, and assumedly he has been working on his cardio.
    All I can say is:

''Always bet on black''

horsemeat wrote: »

Lot of people picking Brock here, still feel like it depends on the Demo Man's takedown defence. He's obviously been practising it in camp, and assumedly he has been working on his cardio.
    All I can say is:

''Always bet on black''

Your username is interesting when talking about Overeem :p.

Wouldn't be many really good wrestlers in Holland where his training camp is unless they brought in someone specifically. It's a striking camp in all fairness.

nate diaz is no way a mediocre fighter, his weakness is his wrestling especially at 175, at 155 he is not giving away as much strength advantage, either way this wont be a wrestling match unlike his main losses to guida, kim and mcdonald, i wouldnt be picking cerrone just on his recent record since they are mostly against fellow strikers. whoever wins its gonna be a close fight either ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Your username is interesting when talking about Overeem :p.

Wouldn't be many really good wrestlers in Holland where his training camp is unless they brought in someone specifically. It's a striking camp in all fairness.

Jared Rosholt for 1

horsemeat wrote: »
    Cerrone is a serious fighter, Nate not so much, lives in his brothers shadow and isn't a patch of the fighter Nick is.
    '

I think he's one of the better Lightweights out there. Always comes to fight. Bar his one submission loss to hermes franca. He's only lost by decision. He's Beaten Gray Maynard and lost to him by a close split decision. who got a title shot after one more fight. He's a threat to anyone on the ground and one the feet.

If he works on his wrestling I can see him going far in LW possible to the title.

To say he isn't a patch on nick is unfair, as nick is the number 2 ww in the world. fighting for a UFC belt. Give him two years and he could be where nick is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hopefully Brock will get some type of clinch early in the 1st. Overeem isn't a natural giant like Brock and all that muscle will gas early. Then an F5 early in the 2nd round for the pin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DiscoBiscuits

Lads Overeem has this in the 1st via (t)ko!!!! He is training in Xtreme Couture, Wrestling with randy and gray!!! Also has Vitor for sparring in the ring with, he is gonna kill Brock!!

He will beat him worse than Cian did!!

(And yes we are on first name basis!!)

Step your life up lads!

Diaz is one of those guys who could be a world beater but fails to close holes in his game. he's disappointing in his losses and even in some of his wins (like v Guillard when Guillard was stupid enough to run at Diaz and put himself into a Diaz choke).

But his recent performances have been awesome, especially his win over Gomi which was nothing short of incredible!

Diaz v Cowboy is gonna be a war! Very close contest. Hoping The Cowboy can pull it out.

Step your life up lads!

On a first name basis and you can't get it right.

Lads Overeem has this in the 1st via (t)ko!!!! He is training in Xtreme Couture, Wrestling with randy and gray!!! Also has Vitor for sparring in the ring with, he is gonna kill Brock!!

Step your life up lads!

Yeah man wrestling with Gray Maynard when you weigh 256 and stand 6' 5'' is a good strategy. If he's wrestling with Jared Rosholt he has a good chance, 125 wins in amateur wrestling, amazing.

Just because you're on first name terms with the guy doesn't mean you can predict the outcome of a fight btw. Everyone want's the guy they know to win.

Lads Overeem has this in the 1st via (t)ko!!!! He is training in Xtreme Couture, Wrestling with randy and gray!!!

You're right! Trainig a few months with Randy and Gray is more than enough to match Brock's lifelong wrestling pedigree.

BroolStoryCo550.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Also, Randy hasn't been training for a while (due to his movie commitments etc) and Maynard left Xtreme Couture after his last fight. Also, most media are saying Overeem was training with the aforementioned Jared Rasholt....so eh....maybe lay off the Disco Biscuits, broseph.

Step your life up lads!

actually he is not training with randy, he is just at his gym, randy hasnt trained with him personally, he said that himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And he hasnt been at Xtreme Couture the last 4/5 weeks. He went back to Holland and had to put together a camp there cause of his mothers cancer

actually he is not training with randy, he is just at his gym, randy hasnt trained with him personally, he said that himself
    And he hasnt been at Xtreme Couture the last 4/5 weeks. He went back to Holland and had to put together a camp there cause of his mothers cancer

Lads, calm down! He's on first name basis with some lad called Cian, i think he knows what he's talking about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement