Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 141: Lesnar -V- Overeem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

theteal wrote: »
    the knees were making brock hop in pain
    they were making me hop in pain let alone brock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I like UFC, but imagine paying 50 bucks for this.

Have you seen the card? Worth $50 all day! Especially when you compare it to most Boxing PPVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

What was Lesnar thinking?

Back to WWE it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

brock wears a hat?

I wasn't expecting Brock to retire!

WWE here he comes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Chavways wrote: »
    What was Lesnar thinking?

Sounds like he was thinking of retiring! :eek:

brock going back to wrasslin

deisedave wrote: »
    And brock the WWE champion of the world :D

Guaranteed to happen in the next year

happening next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Brock Lensar > WWE return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Wow. Brock has retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its a shame we didn't see a Mir / Lesnar grudge match.

oiche mhaith a chairde

unknown13 wrote: »
    Its a shame we didn't see a Mir / Lesnar grudge match.
    who will mir irrationally hate now :(

I really feel for Brock! He could've been something special in MMA. He came in and he went straight for the best guys, right in at the deep end!

He was never really able to get anything going with his health problems. It's sad to see him bow out before really getting going but I suppose if his health is in danger then why risk it?

At first i was against the idea of Brock in MMA. Now I have nothing but respect for the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

And Sherdog is down...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The kick that finished him, ye reckon it had anything to do with his operation he had last year? He felt it good.

FearDark wrote: »
    The kick that finished him, ye reckon it had anything to do with his operation he had last year? He felt it good.
    I reckon it had something to do with Brocks only weakness.....getting hit, it's his kryptonite:D

Very possibly.

But i'd say it doesn't feel good getting kicked without any defence right in the gut by a guy who has not only been training his entire life for it but it a World Champion!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I really feel for Brock! He could've been something special in MMA. He came in and he went straight for the best guys, right in at the deep end!

He was never really able to get anything going with his health problems. It's sad to see him bow out before really getting going but I suppose if his health is in danger then why risk it?

I was never a big fan of Lesnar, but yeah, if he had a normal upbringing in MMA then who knows how great he could have been. But on the other hand, if he didn't have the money and opportunity to basically build his own team focused solely on his growth from the get go then he may never have reached the heights he did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Still. Sorry to see him go.

• Advertisement

Still. Sorry to see him go.

Me too. I actually became a fan of Brock and strongly fancied him in this match up but he just didn't wanna go for that takedown. Silly really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Me too. I actually became a fan of Brock and strongly fancied him in this match up but he just didn't wanna go for that takedown. Silly really!

I personally think that he knew full sure Reem was anticipating a takedown, especially in the first round. He (I think) was waiting until close to the end of the first, if not second round, to initiate the takedown, flying knee's inbound otherwise :p

Happy to see Overeem win, and equally as sad to see Brock retire. Must be impossible to put into words the disappointment of having surgeries, rehab and endless training for 2 minutes of ring time, especially for it to end in a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Not bothered about Lesnar leaving. He was the champ of a rubbish division that has only now gotten interesting that they're bringing over the Strikeforce division.

It kinda feels like the UFC heavyweight division only really started tonight. I can't count the amount of piss breaks I've taken when two huge fat lads start breathing on each other in a UFC heavyweight fight.

Dos Santos vs Overeem will be fantastic.

I wasn't a big fan of Brock but it is sad to see him go. He was a very good fighter, always brought it and headlined the biggest UFC to ever take place. Sad to see him having to retire mainly because of health problems.

Not bothered about Lesnar leaving. He was the champ of a rubbish division that has only now gotten interesting that they're bringing over the Strikeforce division.

He was champ, when Carwin, Mir, Big Nog, Couture, Junior Dos Santos, Cain were the contenders. Not a bad division at all, considering all except Carwin held the HW belt.

It kinda feels like the UFC heavyweight division only really started tonight. I can't count the amount of piss breaks I've taken when two huge fat lads start breathing on each other in a UFC heavyweight fight.

Dos Santos vs Overeem will be fantastic.

Can you name me the last time 2 fat lads fought each other in the UFC HW Division?

last time I checked, Roy Nelson never fought himself!

He was champ, when Carwin, Mir, Big Nog, Couture, Junior Dos Santos, Cain were the contenders. Not a bad division at all, considering all except Carwin held the HW belt.

And Carwin was Interim Champ at one point right? People loved to piss and moan about the HW Division at the time. The only real guys outside were Fedor and Overeem.

I mean, the Strikeforce HW GP? Kharitanov? Rogers? Barnett? Werdum? Silva? Andrei f*cking Arlovski? None of those guys were or are getting near the top UFC guys!

Not really. He beat Mir, fair enough. No other heavyweights worth mentioning. They didn't have the best heavyweight division. Now they do and it's going to get interesting, that's the point I was trying to make.

Not really. He beat Mir, fair enough. No other heavyweights worth mentioning. They didn't have the best heavyweight division. Now they do and it's going to get interesting, that's the point I was trying to make.

randy_couture.jpg

• Advertisement

Can you name me the last time 2 fat lads fought each other in the UFC HW Division?

last time I checked, Roy Nelson never fought himself!

Randomly typed in a ufc event and it came back with:

I actually remember that. It was like watching my granny running for a bus.

And Carwin was Interim Champ at one point right? People loved to piss and moan about the HW Division at the time. The only real guys outside were Fedor and Overeem.

I mean, the Strikeforce HW GP? Kharitanov? Rogers? Barnett? Werdum? Silva? Andrei f*cking Arlovski? None of those guys were or are getting near the top UFC guys!

I think Barnett and Werdum do well, or at least better than Lesnar, against the top HWs in the world, Cormier too *maybe*. Kharitonov swims around somewhere above the UFC gatekeepers probably (as long as he stays off his back :p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

After missing all the build up 4 the fight and contemplating on watchin it New Years Eve or not...Well safe to say i got sum kick in the stones while having a gander through bosrds i,ve just realised the bloody thing was tonight awwwhhhh...Please say it was brutal?

Randy Couture

Please tell me all about Randy Couture's glorious career as a heavyweight fighter MrStuffins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Also pretty much the whole TUF Season 10 sums up how terrible heavyweight fights can be.

Neother of these lads are fat come on.

Especially not Browne

travis-browne-rob-broughton.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Please tell me all about Randy Couture's glorious career as a heavyweight fighter MrStuffins.

Sure only a three time champion :rolleyes:

Is this a serious question?

Well, he started out 2-0 and fought the then all conquering UFC HW Tournament winner Vitor Belfort and smashed him.

Hw then went onto beat Maurice Smith for the UFC HW Championship!

After leaving the UFC for a while, e then returned to the UFC and beat Kevin Randleman to win the UFC HW title for a second time!

He then defended it twice before losing to Josh Barnett (Who failed a drugs test afterwards)

He then came out of retirement in 2007 to win the HW Title for a 3rd time and defended it once.

Isn't he the most decorated HW in UFC History?

Seriously, have you ever heard of Randy Couture? :confused:

Point of correction above: Couture is a two time HW champion and a one time LHW champion, he went down and beat Tito for the title.

Point of correction above: Couture is a two time HW champion and a one time LHW champion, he went down and beat Tito for the title.

I think you'll find he's a 3 time HW Champ and a 2 time LHW Champ

Won the HW Belt v Smith, then Randleman then Sylvia

Won the LWH Belt v Tito and Belfort.

Seriously, have you ever heard of Randy Couture? :confused:

Is this a serious question? Fights against Vitor Belfort for the heavyweight championship of the world :confused:

Big Nog, Fedor, Crocop, were they in the UFC when Randy Couture was the "Heavyweight Champion" in the mid 2000s? No, they were somewhere else fighting.

He lost the LHW belt and moved up to heavyweight because no-one was there. Beat Tim Sylvia and then lost to Lesnar. Couture now about 45 years old.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, is it that Lesnar conquered the world of MMA? Beating a 45 year old Couture is the measure of that? Come on...

I'm just trying to point out that the UFC has decent fighters at heavyweight now because they bought up PRIDE and Strikeforce. Hopefully we'll not be subjected to panting matches between Kimbo Slice and Tim Hague anymore.

• Advertisement

Is this a serious question? Fights against Vitor Belfort for the heavyweight championship of the world :confused:

I never said he fought Vitor for the HW belt. Try reading my post.
    Big Nog, Fedor, Crocop, were they in the UFC when Randy Couture was the "Heavyweight Champion" in the mid 2000s? No, they were somewhere else fighting.

So? Who's to say he couldn't have beaten these guys? You tried to make out that Randy had no sort of career at HW. Bit of a silly thing to say let's face it!
    He lost the LHW belt and moved up to heavyweight because no-one was there. Beat Tim Sylvia and then lost to Lesnar. Couture now about 45 years old.

He's a 3 time World Heavyweight Champ. What's your point? (You're missing a defence in the middle of Sylvia & Lesnar there by the way)
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, is it that Lesnar conquered the world of MMA? Beating a 45 year old Couture is the measure of that? Come on...

I never said that either. You sarcastically tried to insinuate that Randy hadn't got a successful career at HW. He's the most decorated HW in UFC history. You just said that apart from Mir he never beat a "noteable Heavyweight". To say Randy is not a noteable Heavyweight is stupid! Just plain stupid!
    I'm just trying to point out that the UFC has decent fighters at heavyweight now because they bought up PRIDE and Strikeforce. Hopefully we'll not be subjected to panting matches between Kimbo Slice and Tim Hague anymore.

I hear ya, but it's a lazy and not very well thought out argument! The PRIDE guys are ALL past it. there isn't a current PRIDE guy who is even a factor in the HW division anymore.

The outside guys coming in hasn't drastically made the HW Division better. it's deepened it sure, but it's not suddenly an amazing division.

Again, Randy isn't a noteable HW? Seriously? Come on!

Mr Stuffins' silliness

OK Randy Couture is the best heavyweight ever. And Lesnar beat him. It doesn't matter that he beat a 45 year old Randy Couture. And Heath Herring. Truly legendary.

You will be missed, Brock Lesnar, you revolutionised MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I suspect a big part of Overeem's strategy was to focus on the intestinal area of Brock (hence the focus on knees). Evil but smart.

OK Randy Couture is the best heavyweight ever. And Lesnar beat him. It doesn't matter that he beat a 45 year old Randy Couture. And Heath Herring. Truly legendary.

You will be missed, Brock Lesnar, you revolutionised MMA.

If you're gonna throw your toys out of the pram and get in a huff, at least bother to try understand the point being made in the first place :rolleyes:

If you're gonna throw your toys out of the pram and get in a huff, at least bother to try understand the point being made in the first place :rolleyes:

Tell me the point then please?

Randy Couture fighting Big Nog, Crocop, Fedor five years ago? He didn't. But he's the best? What's the point?

Did the UFC just happen to buyout the other promotions, sign up their best talent and put them into title fights straight away because it was a laugh or what? Maybe because the other organisations had better talent? Use a bit of logic, it's quite straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Good night of fights. I enjoyed Ross Pearson and Junior Assuncao in the prelims.

Jimy Hettes dominated in particular early on with the ground and pound, great win for him.

Shame for Matyushenko to make a mistake to step into a straight jab. But sure looking forward to seeing Gustaffson again.

Completely missed the Fitch KO due to my link crashing and once it was recovered confusing me into thinking I was watching a repeat of the prelims when really the KO was so quick they just stuck that on, haha.

Nate Diaz vs Donald Cerrone: Brilliant. Awesome to watch, from both guys. Diaz is constantly improving.

Lesnar vs Overeem: Devastating knees against the fence then a punishing kick to the liver, followed by a series of punches to finish. Was a bit stunned that Brock didn't go for more takedowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Poor ol Brock. He didn't look comfortable in there from the start and looked to be more on the defense than his offensive usual self. Reem vs JDS is gonna be a small bit epic!

Feel bad for Brock, he had such a short run. Lets all raise a Coors Light to Brock!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can't say I am too surprised to see Lesnar retire, he is either someone who likes constantly facing new challenges or will only stick with something once it is going his way, my money is on the latter. His heart hasn't been in it since losing the title and last night he seemed like he just wanted out of the Octagon as soon as possible, I would expect to see him showing up for a WWE Wrestlemania payday, unless he has some kind of no compete clause for a while.

On some of the fights themselves...Hetes looked really impressive.

Was shocked to see Fitch getting caught like that...although was half hoping he would take a swing at Mazzgiatti (sp?):D.

Cerrone just didn't get into it from the start, hate to admit but Diaz' strikes were good, just not as good as Rogan would like you to believe, I was expecting him to attempt to jack Diaz off in the post match interview considering the hard on he had for him during the match.

Hard to judge what kind of match up Overeem will be for Dos Santos based on the main event. He never looked troubled last night and once Lesnar got hurt he was waiting for the ref to stop it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Feel bad for Brock, he had such a short run. Lets all raise a Coors Light to Brock!!

Dont forget to get on top of your wife too :pac:

I'm gutted for Brock, not too surprised though, someone said it earlier but he only wants to be number 1.

Glad Diaz won, he looked great doing it too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement