Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 141: Lesnar -V- Overeem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished watching it there.
    Disappointed for Lesnar. Definately didn't think he'd retire but sure if his health is at risk then there's no point risking it anymore.

I'm not sure if Cerrone was that bad or Diaz was just that good. Either way I wasn't expecting that much of a one-sided fight.

Great ko by Hendricks. I definately wasn't expecting that! I was fully prepared for 15mins of lay n pray!

Overall it was a good night of fights. Hettes impressed me the most. He was awesome and I can't wait to watch him fight again.

Now to look forward to JDS v Overeem. I'm a fan of JDS but this one is hard to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dean09 wrote: »
    Just finished watching it there.
    Disappointed for Lesnar. Definately didn't think he'd retire but sure if his health is at risk then there's no point risking it anymore.

I'm not sure if Cerrone was that bad or Diaz was just that good. Either way I wasn't expecting that much of a one-sided fight.

Great ko by Hendricks. I definately wasn't expecting that! I was fully prepared for 15mins of lay n pray!

Overall it was a good night of fights. Hettes impressed me the most. He was awesome and I can't wait to watch him fight again.

Now to look forward to JDS v Overeem. I'm a fan of JDS but this one is hard to call.
    Ya that could be very good, although id expect JDS to be far more offensive than Brock was and he will be able stand and trade more than Brock did. Overeems power was shockingly good though.Brock was so tentative and afraid to get hit that he just looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Sad to see him go as hes such an athlete but as has been said his health and family are his priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dafee

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Can you name me the last time 2 fat lads fought each other in the UFC HW Division?

last time I checked, Roy Nelson never fought himself!

Mark Hunt and Ben Rothwell say hello - from all the way back on the 24th Sept :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I have just watched the Reem - Brock fight. I've not looked back through the thread to see if this has been said already, but does anyone else think that Overeem targetted the body shots due to Brocks illness. It makes sense as a strategy and if Brock was that badly hurt by those shots, maybe he shouldn't have been in the octagon in the 1st place. I'm glad he retired for his health. He had a great run and probably took the most difficult path in MMA from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

evil_seed wrote: »
    I have just watched the Reem - Brock fight. I've not looked back through the thread to see if this has been said already, but does anyone else think that Overeem targetted the body shots due to Brocks illness. It makes sense as a strategy and if Brock was that badly hurt by those shots, maybe he shouldn't have been in the octagon in the 1st place. I'm glad he retired for his health. He had a great run and probably took the most difficult path in MMA from start to finish.

no, its a pure Muay Thai thing, if you ever watch a Muay Thai they actually rarely throw head kicks, its all to the body.

the weight behind that body kick he threw was scary, when you look at the reply you'll notice he landed the kick half way through the motion, so really at the strongest point of contact. it must have hurt like hell.

i was disgusted with the Diaz and Cerrone fight if im being honest, I actually thought the Cerrone and Diaz was one of the worse showing of stand up skills I've ever seen

Cerrone was tired after 2 minutes, and Diaz picked him off with very, and I do mean VERY average level boxing skills. It was enjoyable enough, but the skill sets where shocking, any 2 bit amateur would have beaten Cerrone.

if there's any boxers on here, they'll know what im talking about. All Cerrone needed to do was move his head, that was it. And he didnt try once, he was rubbish if im being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you're gonna throw your toys out of the pram and get in a huff, at least bother to try understand the point being made in the first place :rolleyes:

Tell me the point then please?

Randy Couture fighting Big Nog, Crocop, Fedor five years ago? He didn't. But he's the best? What's the point?

Lad, my points are pretty clear already. You just have to read and pay attention to what you're reading. You seem to think I'm saying things im not, or you're trying to put words in my mouth. Otherwise you're doing yourself no favours.

You said Randy wasn't a noteable HW. I disagreed and you asked me to explain his career at HW. I did so.

If you think Randy's achievements don't make him noteable then your opinions are not worth listening to frankly

Very simple!

Watched it last night, seen every fight bar Fitch-Hendricks.
    Nunes-Gamburyan was a good fight. Nunes had it on everyone's books so I don't know why Manny was surprised?

Volkmann is a great wrestler but he's terribly boring. Was hoping for Escudero to put him to sleep last night, so close but yet so far.

Kim-Pierson was a good battle. Kim is showing a great improvement in his stand-up since the Condit and Diaz matches.

Njokuani got robbed plain and simple. Typical judges scoring it for the 2 take downs rather than the beating Njo gave out.

Pearson-Assuncao was good. Pearson is climbing that ladder, close decision loss to Barboza aside, he's doing really well. A rematch with Cole Miller would be awesome.

Jimy Hettes. What a prospect. He made Nam Phan look like an amateur last night. Rogan was right about the whole sandbagging thing though. He tooled Nam on the ground and Nam is a black belt. The kid has some serious GnP too. Very sloppy standup but that can be improved. Cool fight to watch.

Matyushenko-Gustaffson was a good showcase of their next LHW prospect. Training at Alliance with Cruz, Davis and the other guys seems to be paying off.

Was surprised to see the result of the Fitch-Hendricks match. Poor Fitch was in prime position to capitalise on GSP's absence. Now he's knocked down the ladder. Shame but Hendricks is awesome though.

Cerrone-Diaz. I wasn't expecting that first round at all. It was crazy. Diaz was played up big by Rogan and Goldberg though. I thought Cerrone would have used his kicks more ala the Nunes-Gamburyan fight rather than try box with him but that's the way it goes. Great showing by Diaz. He better make weight comfortably next time or Dana will be wary of giving him a shot in future.

Then the Main Event. I expected a lot more by Lesnar tbh. I was anticipating him at least getting Overeem down once or twice. He really picked him apart on the feet though. Wasn't surprised to see the retirement tbh, he's had a good run and now he can go back to WWE as the former UFC Heavyweight Champ and make a **** tonne of money. But if the ppv buy ratings are to be believed the money won't be there forever.

All in all it was a good event. The hype was huge and it did deliver. Looking forward to The Reem V JDS now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I was surprised how easy Brock gave up the single leg and his lack of shooting

Diaz has great pteciosion but very little bang. Would get taken down by a bad draft. Interesting to watch though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think he was worried of the threat of Overeem's guilotine to be fair, Well done to overeem as i did not think he'd want to clinch up at all with Lesnar, great game plan and well executed

Not a big fan of Lesnar but fair play to him using his fame to give MMA a go and he done ok, i think if he did not have the big fear of been hit he could have been much better and more dangerous.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Havent seen much of Overeem but has he really got a good chance vs JDS?

mdwexford wrote: »
    Havent seen much of Overeem but has he really got a good chance vs JDS?

genuinely id say its a 50/50

I'm leaning towards JDS as i think he is faster and has better movement but i would not bet on the fight.

you know what. i had a worry about the Lesnar fight.

my heart was saying Overeem, but my head said Lesnar. And ive come to the conclusion that the only thing telling my head to pick Lesnar was the UFC Media juggernaut telling us for soooooooo long how great they are.

Overeem has an absolute wealth of experience. Both good, and bad. He seems to have learned from all of his defeats, and incorporated all of these lessons into his training, and what we see now, is the evolution of a guy now at the peak of his powers.

if you watch the videos on his own personal website he was talking why he pulled out of a fight with someone in strikeforce. it seemed he had a small injury, nothing spectacular, one broken rib. He admitted himself that in the past he would have trained on and fought, but now, he respects all his opponents ablities and feels to do himself justice, he must be 100% healthy, and that way he enters the ring/octagon without any excuses.

i think he deserves a lot of respect for what he did last night.

i read a lot of the american lads on forums earlier on today (Dana White too) that Brock should have shot. the fact of the matter is if you look at the fight again Alistair kept a very wide, and a kind of deep stance, nearly like he was leaning forward, so im guessing it would have been hard to shoot on him ,as he was positioned very well for a sprawl.

im now a true believer. i think he's going to pound the piss out of JDS, i really do.

whether his reign will be for long or not, well, i dont know. But ill certainly enjoy watching his fights thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Cerrone seemed to have shot his load before the fight had even started. Ran out, threw two haymakers that missed and didn't move his head or upper body for the rest of the fight. Worzel Gummidge would have put in a better show. I think he spent too much energy and nervous tension on the whole issue of Diaz not shaking his hand.

Great game plan from Overeem. Got a couple of body knees in early to let Lesnar know how much they hurt, then stayed low with the rear knee primed for action. Lesnar wasn't loving for first two knees and certainly didn't fancy eating one while shooting. From that point it was game over. Lesnar is no real loss to the UFC. People were getting tired of watching a guy so much fear of getting hit that it compromised his entire outlook on fights.

JDS v Reem will be interesting but I think JDS will love fighting someone with no intention of taking him down and his movement is top notch. Cardio could be a key factor in this one.

threeball wrote: »
    Cerrone seemed to have shot his load before the fight had even started. Ran out, threw two haymakers that missed and didn't move his head or upper body for the rest of the fight. Worzel Gummidge would have put in a better show. I think he spent too much energy and nervous tension on the whole issue of Diaz not shaking his hand.

Great game plan from Overeem. Got a couple of body knees in early to let Lesnar know how much they hurt, then stayed low with the rear knee primed for action. Lesnar wasn't loving for first two knees and certainly didn't fancy eating one while shooting. From that point it was game over. Lesnar is no real loss to the UFC. People were getting tired of watching a guy so much fear of getting hit that it compromised his entire outlook on fights.

JDS v Reem will be interesting but I think JDS will love fighting someone with no intention of taking him down and his movement is top notch. Cardio could be a key factor in this one.

excellent post!!!

to be fair to Lesnar though, what he achieved in his short stint as an mma fighter deserves a lot of credit. And his the exposure he gave the sport was beyond huge.

regarding him not liking to get hit. i understand where you're coming from, but you have to remember how big and powerful heavyweights are, their not little 135lb fighters, they're big heavy brutes. Didnt Lesnar think he broke a rib as well??? i broke my ribs as a young lad and i can honestly say, hand on heart, it was the most painful thing ive ever experienced, i couldnt breath for what seemed an eternity and i was convinced i was going to die. So i have some sympathy for any man that takes one of those kicks or knees from Alistair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think Ceronne's year just caught up to him. 5 fights in eleven months is eventually going to take it's toll...he simply didn't look like himself in that fight at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Good event overall

Disappointed in cowboy, expected more tbh.Saying that Diaz looked better than ever.1st rd was just embarrassing.

Diaz should be close to title shot at this stage, Edgar V Diaz anyone?

AO great performance, once again Brock don't like getting hit, was expecting alot of take down attempts.

Brocks own fault,try to beat a elite striker a recipe for disaster for him.

Not pushed about him retiring, no one i want to see him fight anymore.

WWE for you brock wrestlemania whatever number

Undertaker V Brock

Mazagaitti should have locked in the Guillatine on Fitch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, Volkman thinks Rogan ruined his joke and now wants to punch him in the nuts haha

Here is the full post fight presser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Kinda looks like Volkmann trying to Sonnen his way to a title shot. Bit of a feeble attempt though and will never happen in such a fantastic division with contenders on every corner. He seems to want to milk that Obama thing a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

cowzerp wrote: »
    I think he was worried of the threat of Overeem's guilotine to be fair, Well done to overeem as i did not think he'd want to clinch up at all with Lesnar, great game plan and well executed

Not a big fan of Lesnar but fair play to him using his fame to give MMA a go and he done ok, i think if he did not have the big fear of been hit he could have been much better and more dangerous.

Maybe if he had had more fights against lesser opposition he might have developed into a better fighter, or at least had more experience of being hit and learn to deal with it better, with the exception of Kim his list of opponents is very impressive, but ultimately that doesnt give you much opportunity to learn.

• Advertisement

Maybe if he had had more fights against lesser opposition he might have developed into a better fighter, or at least had more experience of being hit and learn to deal with it better, with the exception of Kim his list of opponents is very impressive,
    Who he beat aint that impressive in fairness, you dont learn to get hit. I've never seen someone scared of been hit change and I've been boxing many years and doing mma and fear of been hit only grows the more they get hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

excellent post!!!

to be fair to Lesnar though, what he achieved in his short stint as an mma fighter deserves a lot of credit. And his the exposure he gave the sport was beyond huge.

regarding him not liking to get hit. i understand where you're coming from, but you have to remember how big and powerful heavyweights are, their not little 135lb fighters, they're big heavy brutes. Didnt Lesnar think he broke a rib as well??? i broke my ribs as a young lad and i can honestly say, hand on heart, it was the most painful thing ive ever experienced, i couldnt breath for what seemed an eternity and i was convinced i was going to die. So i have some sympathy for any man that takes one of those kicks or knees from Alistair

Not having a go at Lesnar for quitting from the Kick or from broken ribs. I think anyman that fights on with an injury like that would be a bit of a fool. A punctured lung wouldn't be my idea of fun.

But it was clear from the second knee that he wanted out. He was basicly on the run from that point and has been the same in all his fights except for the Carwin fight where he did make a great recovery but that was due moreso to Carwin gassing.

The man has a huge physical advantage and in the two fights where this wasn't the case (Carwin and Reem) he really struggled when he couldn't bull rush an opponent and just flip them upside down. He did well for a guy with limited training but I don't think he'll be a big loss to the mma scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Who he beat aint that impressive in fairness, you dont learn to get hit. I've never seen someone scared of been hit change and I've been boxing many years and doing mma and fear of been hit only grows the more they get hit

Paul another poster on this thread was heavily critical of the standard of boxing in the Diaz & Corrone fight. Joe Rogan was really singing Diaz's praises for his boxing during the bout. What was your opinion of the standard? In general do you think boxing in the UFC is a half decent standard compared to proboxing?

Paul another poster on this thread was heavily critical of the standard of boxing in the Diaz & Corrone fight. Joe Rogan was really singing Diaz's praises for his boxing during the bout. What was your opinion of the standard? In general do you think boxing in the UFC is a half decent standard compared to proboxing?

His accuracy was great, foot work non existent and his punching technique quite poor-with that said it's effective for him and in an mma sense can't be knocked, if he does not start moving more he will be leg kicked to bits in future as he was shown up by that I felt.

Add on
    Further add on!
    Joe rogan has no clue about boxing and during matches where boxer types are bashing kick boxer types he always does be going on about how the kick boxer has the advantage, this is based on more weapons not better weapons and is bs
    The standard of boxing is quite poor to be honest and even the ones thought of as good boxers would barely be journey men, there is 1-2 exceptions to this. In general if I say JDS has good boxing I'm comparing it in an MMA context only, he would be very low level boxer at top amateur or above journey man level as a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

His accuracy was great, foot work non existent and his punching technique quite poor-with that said it's effective for him and in an mma sense can't be knocked, if he does not start moving more he will be leg kicked to bits in future as he was shown up by that I felt.

Add on
    Further add on!
    Joe rogan has no clue about boxing and during matches where boxer types are bashing kick boxer types he always does be going on about how the kick boxer has the advantage, this is based on more weapons not better weapons and is bs
    The standard of boxing is quite poor to be honest and even the ones thought of as good boxers would barely be journey men, there is 1-2 exceptions to this. In general if I say JDS has good boxing I'm comparing it in an MMA context only, he would be very low level boxer at top amateur or above
    journey man level as a pro.

Why do you think the standard is so poor? Do you reckon it's down to the level of coaching or just that fighters spend less time training on it as they are more worried about the takedown & all the other aspects of mma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Add on
    Further add on!
    The standard of boxing is quite poor to be honest and even the ones thought of as good boxers would barely be journey men, there is 1-2 exceptions to this. In general if I say JDS has good boxing I'm comparing it in an MMA context only, he would be very low level boxer at top amateur or above journey man level as a pro.

That's interesting. Why would he be a better pro boxer than amateur? Because of the point fighting based nature of the former I'm guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Simple answer is if you are spending effort time on ur boxing game to be a pro boxer you will be a **** Mma fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Look at the likes of Marcus Davis, he was a pro boxer who turned to MMA, his game was very very one dimensional and in the end it caught up with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The main thing about boxing in MMA is, which has been mentioned already, is footwork. A boxer has no worry about being taken down or kicked, in MMA you have to worry about them so your stance is different.

Thats what I would say anyway.

Turbo diesel
    I think unless you come from Boxing your just never going to catch up when you have to work on so many area at 1 time

Richy06
    i never said he would be a better pro boxer, what im saying is below the elite level the standard of pro boxing is not alkl that good, at Amateur senior level all fights are competitve and there is no handbags there so he would simply be in against high class opposition all the time, at pro you could easily get him easy fights

Scudzilla
    when Marcus 1st got into MMA his game was 1 dimensional and he still won most his fights, his submission and wrestling game is very good now and again in a Boxing context he was only barely over journey man

Gintonious
    The stance thing is another complete Myth, the stance in most MMA and Boxing is more or less the same, This is more stuff that people buy into from listening to Joe rogan going on about it-a good stance in MMA will have you mobile and you should be ready to change levels which is not needed in Boxing, Boxing stances vary a lot and most Dont stand rreally side on like is made out. The most common stance you will see in the UFC would be barely different to in Boxing in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Dana looked pretty pissed in the press conference. I dont blame him. I think he and the UFC supported Brock from the start and are probably disappointed in him personally for making an announcement publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Scudzilla
    when Marcus 1st got into MMA his game was 1 dimensional and he still won most his fights, his submission and wrestling game is very good now and again in a Boxing context he was only barely over journey man

Sure he was a journey man but still a pro boxer none the less.

And his submission/wrestling may be good but knowhere near the level of some of the other guys out there.

And i'm not knockin marcus here, was one of my favourite fighters cos he always entertained

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sure he was a journey man but still a pro boxer none the less.

In America any Gombeen can be a Pro boxer, i'm a big fan of Marcus but in a Boxing standard he boxed nobody of note in Boxing and most his fights where against human punch bags.

MMA wise he was a great Boxer
    scudzilla wrote: »
    And his submission/wrestling may be good but knowhere near the level of some of the other guys out there.

Marcu was only submitted 2 times i think in his own career and his grappling is highly underrated, just his strking was well ahead of most in the game so he played to his big advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Folks, you cannot compare MMA boxing against boxing proper, it's comparing apples and oranges.

An MMA fighter would get mauled in a boxing match and a boxer would get mauled in an MMA match. A rugby player would get mauled in NFL and an NFL player would get mauled in rugby. Facts.

Also, the way a person is tackled in NFL and rugby is completely different even if it looks like what they are doing is vaguely the same thing.

Folks, you cannot compare MMA boxing against boxing proper, it's comparing apples and oranges.

An MMA fighter would get mauled in a boxing match and a boxer would get mauled in an MMA match. A rugby player would get mauled in NFL and an NFL player would get mauled in rugby. Facts.

Also, the way a person is tackled in NFL and rugby is completely different even if it looks like what they are doing is vaguely the same thing.

We're not comparing mma to boxing-if we where I'd agree with you.

we're comparing mma boxing to regular boxing-of course a pure boxer would in most cases in mma but not in a stand up mma match against Nate Diaz, they'd go through him if there even average.

Sloppy punches and no footwork is not a good thing in mma or boxing, his use of range is good and timing is good though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

We're not comparing mma to boxing-if we where I'd agree with you.

we're comparing mma boxing to regular boxing-of course a pure boxer would in most cases in mma but not in a stand up mma match against Nate Diaz, they'd go through him if there even average.

Sloppy punches and no footwork is not a good thing in mma or boxing, his use of range is good and timing is good though

Well, in an MMA fight, Nate Diaz's awkward amateur boxing managed to kick the crap out of a high level Mui Thai fighter. A lot of people would argue that that is a very difficult task no matter how good a boxer you have.

It was an impressive boxing performance simply because it worked so well in the circumstances.

Well, in an MMA fight, Nate Diaz's awkward amateur boxing managed to kick the crap out of a high level Mui Thai fighter. A lot of people would argue that that is a very difficult task no matter how good a boxer you have.

It was an impressive boxing performance simply because it worked so well in the circumstances.

In fairness Cerrone didn't use a lot of high kicks to keep distance between him and Nate's freaky chimp arms.

He was using the leg kicks to good success. Why not throw them to the head? Nate didn't seem interested in taking him down and I'm sure Cerrone has decent enough sub defence. Nate looked beatable in the fight. He just overwhelmed Cerrone. I wouldn't say that constituted a title shot, but all the others are tied up apart from Maynard.

I've never been the biggest Nate fan, but his incredible performances lately have shown he's improved drastically and he's definitely up there. LW is so stacked at the moment but the best have Bren fighting each other so there's only a couple of fighters coming off wins like that!

The Lightweight division is so stacked! there's endless quality match ups to be put together

I've never been the biggest Nate fan, but his incredible performances lately have shown he's improved drastically and he's definitely up there. LW is so stacked at the moment but the best have Bren fighting each other so there's only a couple of fighters coming off wins like that!

The Lightweight division is so stacked! there's endless quality match ups to be put together

I agree but he should fight imo Jacob Volkmann or Tony Ferguson.
    Volkmann is boring and all but he's on a 5 fight win streak. Just because Nate had a big win on the latest card doesn't leap him over anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Completely the same. Was never a fan of Diaz but he thoroughly impressed me with his boxing combos. Cerrone needed to utilise those kicks more as they seemed to be working. Diaz was just too quick and had a longer reach for Cowboy to get in close. I know it's bitter sweet but i scored it 29/28.

Matyushenko was a complete underdog but was hoping he could pull off a miracle. He's a great ambassador for the sport at 41 and all of his losses have come from top competitors. Retirement must not be too far away for him.

It was going to be a long while until Fitch got a shot at the title even if he won so this is really going to scupper his plans.

Brock looked like a former shell of himself. Gone was the guy who would steamroll over people and use those vicious hammer fists.

Am I the only one who thought Nam Phan was going to lose against Hettes? He was way out favourite on PaddyPower.

Nice to see Ross Pearson get a win.

I agree but he should fight imo Jacob Volkmann or Tony Ferguson.
    Volkmann is boring and all but he's on a 5 fight win streak. Just because Nate had a big win on the latest card doesn't leap him over anyone else.

Of course it does! Volkmann is nowhere near a title shot. A win over Donald Cerrone is a much bigger win that Errain Escudero no matter what way you look at it.

Volkmann is on a nice run yes, but that means nothing unless he's beating top contenders. Nate has beaten Gomi & Cerrone, those 2 wins put him in a much better position than combining all of Volkmann's recent 5 wins! Different wins carry different weight.

Now, I know neither Gomi nor Cerrone were No.1 contenders, but i'm saying those wins put Nate closer to a shot than Volkmann....... and i have no idea why you're mentioning Ferguson. He's nowhere near a contender right now, he's not even anywhere near "the mix".

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

diaz set a new record for strikes in a 3 round fight

http://bjpenn.com/news/2012/01/02/ufc-news-%E2%80%93-nate-diaz-set-a-new-compustrike-record-last-friday-against-donald-cerrone-10849.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

was a very good card overall, brock looked like a shadow of himself, was really expecting to try run through overeem for the takedown, in saying that overeem looked impressive, very strong and i think he will beat JDS just cause it is a good match up for im, a boxer than wont take him down, overeem will be able to let his game go.

Of course it does! Volkmann is nowhere near a title shot. A win over Donald Cerrone is a much bigger win that Errain Escudero no matter what way you look at it.

Volkmann is on a nice run yes, but that means nothing unless he's beating top contenders. Nate has beaten Gomi & Cerrone, those 2 wins put him in a much better position than combining all of Volkmann's recent 5 wins! Different wins carry different weight.

Now, I know neither Gomi nor Cerrone were No.1 contenders, but i'm saying those wins put Nate closer to a shot than Volkmann....... and i have no idea why you're mentioning Ferguson. He's nowhere near a contender right now, he's not even anywhere near "the mix".

Gomi doesn't count for anything, the Cerrone fight is his only claim for a title shot. He should have at least 3 or 4 wins in a row against top level guys for a shot. Volkmann is probably the only one on a 5 fight win streak in the division.
    Everyone else "in the mix" is tied up or coming off a loss so Ferguson or Volkmann make the most sense. Who else is there?

Gomi doesn't count for anything, the Cerrone fight is his only claim for a title shot. He should have at least 3 or 4 wins in a row against top level guys for a shot.

I agree. I don't think he should be next, I simply said he should be up there.
    Volkmann is probably the only one on a 5 fight win streak in the division.

Now I don't know whether you're coming or going? Why is it that Nate needs 3 or 4 wins in a row against top level guys for a shot, but Volkmann just needs to beat Paul Kelly, Danny Castillo and Efrain Escudero and he's in line for a shot? None of these guys are top level. You're making no sense!
    Everyone else "in the mix" is tied up or coming off a loss so Ferguson or Volkmann make the most sense. Who else is there?

Diaz makes more sense than Volkmann. I have absolutely no idea how you could even consider Volkmann worthy of fighting the No.1 guy in the world right now. he hasn't earned it!

Also, Tony Ferguson? Come on man you're really clutching at straws! So, again, Nate needs 3-4 wins in a row against top level guys, but Tony Ferguson beats Aaron Riley and Yves Edwards and he's a title contender? How could you even consider him in the Top 10 right now? I definitely think Diaz is miles ahead of Ferguson as far as a title shout is concerned.

I'm not entirely sure you've put a lot of thought into this man!

Diaz has to be next after Henderson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'd like to see Nate Diaz fight Gray Maynard.
    Winner gets winner of the following;

Loser of the title fight versus Clay Guida

Cerrone vs Jim Miller

I'd also like to see BJ Penn return to the division to see how he fares against some of the new guys he never got to fought as champ - Maynard, Guida, Guillard et al. What a ****ing stacked division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Volkmann = Horrible to watch for fans, who would pay to see him in a title fight.

Great to see Reem win its great for the division, cant wait for JDS fight now.

Cerone just froze in the headlights, not sure why his corner just didnt tell him to forget boxing and just kick he would have sat Diaz on his ass for the second 2 rounds.

Glad Fitch lost too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Man I love the Diaz brothers.

I reckon Nate will fight the winner of Lauzon/Pettis and the winner of that will get a title shot.

Very dissapointed with Brock, didn't want to be there.

Also happy that Fitch lost.

I agree. I don't think he should be next, I simply said he should be up there.

Now I don't know whether you're coming or going? Why is it that Nate needs 3 or 4 wins in a row against top level guys for a shot, but Volkmann just needs to beat Paul Kelly, Danny Castillo and Efrain Escudero and he's in line for a shot? None of these guys are top level. You're making no sense!

Diaz makes more sense than Volkmann. I have absolutely no idea how you could even consider Volkmann worthy of fighting the No.1 guy in the world right now. he hasn't earned it!

Also, Tony Ferguson? Come on man you're really clutching at straws! So, again, Nate needs 3-4 wins in a row against top level guys, but Tony Ferguson beats Aaron Riley and Yves Edwards and he's a title contender? How could you even consider him in the Top 10 right now? I definitely think Diaz is miles ahead of Ferguson as far as a title shout is concerned.

I'm not entirely sure you've put a lot of thought into this man!

I never said Volkmann or Ferguson get a shot above Nate. I meant one of them should be Nate's next opponent. You think I meant that Volkmann gets the next shot at Edgar-Henderson, I would never promote that and I wouldn't watch it either. Not now not ever :p

I do think we need to see Nate against a wrestler again before we can say he's able for the no.1 guy.
    As far as the division goes, Nate is closest to a title fight no doubt about it but I think he needs to fight a wrestler like Volkmann because being put on his back is his biggest weakness.
    My posts cleary have a lot of confusion, don't read too much into what I say :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

pauldoo wrote: »
    was a very good card overall, brock looked like a shadow of himself, was really expecting to try run through overeem for the takedown, in saying that overeem looked impressive, very strong and i think he will beat JDS just cause it is a good match up for im, a boxer than wont take him down, overeem will be able to let his game go.

One of the lads in the gym was mentioning that Frank Mir would have a cut off Overeem. I'd tend to agree. A guy like Frank Mir with his strength, bjj and durability would probably be one of the best challengers for Overeem.

I agree, very good card. both Hettes and Diaz showed some serious striking, so accurate and effective.

I was glad Overeem won, because I liek Overeem, I did feel bad for Lesnar, I don't like the guy but he was good while he lasted.

How does a guy like Jimy Hettes dominate on the ground like that with a guy who has much more experience than him?

Was it because his opponent was dazed?

I would tend to agree.

Anderson Silva said he "had a lot to learn" about boxing, and his striking is top notch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement