Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 141: Lesnar -V- Overeem

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I do think we need to see Nate against a wrestler again before we can say he's able for the no.1 guy.

I think the fight to make the most sense here would be Nate v gray. Gray's a Top 5 guy, a wrestler and the fight would be the 3rd in a trilogy which is currently 1-1 (and which Nate feels should be 2-0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think the fight to make the most sense here would be Nate v gray. Gray's a Top 5 guy, a wrestler and the fight would be the 3rd in a trilogy which is currently 1-1 (and which Nate feels should be 2-0)

Don't think it will happen considering Gray is coming off a loss.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't think it will happen considering Gray is coming off a loss.

It just might. Could be one of those times where a contendership isn't necessarily in the balance for both fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DiscoBiscuits

My Lesnar/Overeem prediction was bang on!
    I got some amount of stick over it, I can't understand how some people were so shocked that Brock got taken out so easily.

My Lesnar/Overeem prediction was bang on!
    I got some amount of stick over it, I can't understand how some people were so shocked that Brock got taken out so easily.

Well, no. You got stick because you said Lesnar hadn't got a prayer and that the only way Overeem would lose would be because he had a hole in his wrestling game......... and Lesnar is a wrestler :rolleyes:

I think pretty much everybody got their predictions right. EVeryone said if Lesnar took it down he'd win ( I thought this would happen), if it stayed on it's feet Overeem would win and it wasn't getting out of the first round.

Even Mario Yamasaki knew it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

After watching Lesnars performance, i can't believe i gave Lesnar a chance.He is a shadow of his Mir fights where he was aggressor.

It just might. Could be one of those times where a contendership isn't necessarily in the balance for both fighters.

Yeah Gray is coming off a close loss and a late tko loss to Edgar, and in both the champ was in trouble so he should be still in the mix. A win over Nate/Lauzon-Pettis or the loser of Edgar-Henderson would get him a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yeah Gray is coming off a close loss and a late tko loss to Edgar, and in both the champ was in trouble so he should be still in the mix. A win over Nate/Lauzon-Pettis or the loser of Edgar-Henderson would get him a shot.

Gray won't get another shot as long as Edgar has the belt I reckon, if he stays winning he'll probably be the first challenger to any new champ.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Great card.

Diaz versus Cowboy was a great fight.
    Loved watching Fitch get knocked out.

Lesnar was a bloody joke.

And WTF was Joe Rogan on about saying he went "the toughets way possible" to the UFC HW belt.

He lost to Mir, beat Heath Herring, and got a title shot!!
    Then he fought a guy with a walk-around-weight probably almost 100lbs less than he is.

Joe Rogan comign out with that nonsense shows how much potential ppv receipts affect title shot decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Jumping in here randomly enough cause I can't navigate boards on my phone very well. Anyway, does anyone have any info about what channels we're going to get events on now with all the changes. Right now I'm watching prelims on Facebook and UFC.tv then main events on espn. The first fox event was on setanta. Piss poor coverage that it was (ad breaks every 10 seconds and corner time sold out to some cheap **** protein company)

I'm changing from UPC to Sky and getting FX HD and espn over there. But what of the Fuel TV events? We don't get a look in at those whatsoever now is that it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

jayteecork wrote: »
    Great card.

Diaz versus Cowboy was a great fight.
    Loved watching Fitch get knocked out.

Lesnar was a bloody joke.

And WTF was Joe Rogan on about saying he went "the toughets way possible" to the UFC HW belt.

He lost to Mir, beat Heath Herring, and got a title shot!!
    Then he fought a guy with a walk-around-weight probably almost 100lbs less than he is.

Joe Rogan comign out with that nonsense shows how much potential ppv receipts affect title shot decisions.

i almost fell of my chair laughing at his "toughest route possible" comments aswell

Jumping in here randomly enough cause I can't navigate boards on my phone very well. Anyway, does anyone have any info about what channels we're going to get events on now with all the changes.

Until August 2012, regular numbered UFC events will continue to be shown on ESPN.

UFC fell out with ESPN and now non numbered events (fight nights) and FOX shows etc won't be on ESPN but will be taken care of on a case by case basis unless something happens soon. Nothing has been confirmed but i'd imagine one of 2 things will happen. Either the shows will be on Setenta or they'll make an announcement whereby the other shows are on FX in the UK (like TUF and the Finale). This would suit me greatly!
    Right now I'm watching prelims on Facebook and UFC.tv then main events on espn. The first fox event was on setanta. Piss poor coverage that it was (ad breaks every 10 seconds and corner time sold out to some cheap **** protein company)

Well, the nature of these shows mean this will happen on any channel it's shown as the non-numbered shows are not PPV but they are shown on American TV, so these (really really annoying) ad-breaks will continue unfortunately.

What I tend to do with these events is Sky+ them and watch them the next day. it takes away the excitement of watching live, but keeps my sanity intact having to watch the same ads for 45 to watch 1 round of a fight and then have that repeated!
    I'm changing from UPC to Sky and getting FX HD and espn over there. But what of the Fuel TV events? We don't get a look in at those whatsoever now is that it??

Nah we'll get them somewhere somehow, may they be on FX/Setanta here or on UFC.tv. The UFC want all of their content available all of the time over here. they're building a fan base and don't wanna p*ss the moany fans off!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Am I the only one who is interested in the idea of Overeem vs Velasquez at some point? Don't get me wrong, I think Overeem vs JDS will be an awesome fight as well, but I'm just really interested in what way that would go down. Its likely to be on the cards at some point anyway.

In the Lesnar vs Overeem fight Brock really didn't seem to push for the takedown much. Do you figure it was hesitation due to the large smashing knees, or that Lesnar thought he had something to prove with his stand-up?

Cerrone vs Diaz was entertaining but kinda odd. Cerrone just kept playing Nate's game and coming out the worse for it. He mixed things up a little after the first round but kept reverting to standing and trading with Diaz. Maybe he was fighting too angry to think clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

For a wrestler his takedowns aint great, always all about sheer size and not great against equal sized opponents, maybe he knew he could not rugby tackle Overeem to the ground.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

I'd like to see Overeem vs Barnett at some stage depending on how the Strikeforce and Dos Santos fight goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

dos santos is going down...

overeem will be next champion , then frank mir will be next in line for the shot imo

davemc180 wrote: »
    dos santos is going down...

overeem will be next champion , then frank mir will be next in line for the shot imo

Surely they can't give Mir ANOTHER go!

I'd have thought they'd have the Strikeforce Grand PRix winner come in and challenge but ASAIK Strikeforce are contracted to have the GP winner fight on Showtime once more after he wins.

Surely they can't give Mir ANOTHER go!

I'd have thought they'd have the Strikeforce Grand PRix winner come in and challenge but ASAIK Strikeforce are contracted to have the GP winner fight on Showtime once more after he wins.

ah they have to mir destoyed big nog in a very impressive way which no one said could be done

but like you said another strikeforce fighter could come in.. but id like to see mir hes improved so much in the past year

wel have to wait and see:cool:

davemc180 wrote: »
    ah they have to mir destoyed big nog in a very impressive way which no one said could be done

but like you said another strikeforce fighter could come in.. but id like to see mir hes improved so much in the past year

wel have to wait and see:cool:

Yeah but Big Nog hasn't been a shadow of his former self for years now.

HW is all over the place at the moment though. Not a lot of fighters on good runs.

• Advertisement

Yeah but Big Nog hasn't been a shadow of his former self for years now.

HW is all over the place at the moment though. Not a lot of fighters on good runs.

true that.. alot of them seem to win the title and loose it straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

back to the diaz fight for a mo if i can, while i saw the point in cerrone leg kicking diaz, nate never looked too bothered by them as he seemed to know that cerrone didnt/wouldnt go to ground with him. afraid of the diaz submission game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

mir destoyed big nog in a very impressive way which no one said could be done

I thought Big Nog threw away a sure victory by going for a submission. He was beating Mirr in the stand up and was landing repeated blows on a grounded Mirr.

JJayoo wrote: »
    I thought Big Nog threw away a sure victory by going for a submission. He was beating Mirr in the stand up and was landing repeated blows on a grounded Mirr.

Actually, this is true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I get a lot of predictions wrong but when this fight was announced I said it would Reem Vs Duffee part two and I was right. It's incredible to see people still say Overeem hasn't proved anything yet. Ok Lesnar's record isn't good but he's 5-3 in the UFC and never fought anyone outside of the top 10 at the time. Reem once again showed he can perform on the big stage and it baffles me as to how easily people are writing him off against JDS. I'm not saying I'm gonna put my house on it but looking at the website which is apparently where the major Irish bookmakers odds originate from http://betonfighting.com/schedule.aspx?league=206 I'll be having a nice punt on Reem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

there`s rumours goin round that velasquez will be fighting big foot silva in april , should be a good contest i reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

kinda awkward situation. I'm not sure if Silva actually trains with Minotauro team or JDS on a daily basis but they certainly seem to be on very friendly terms. If he beats Velasquez (big if but certainly not impossible) it's only a fight or two away from being expected to fight JDS (whether jds loses to overeem or not).

kinda awkward situation. I'm not sure if Silva actually trains with Minotauro team or JDS on a daily basis but they certainly seem to be on very friendly terms. If he beats Velasquez (big if but certainly not impossible) it's only a fight or two away from being expected to fight JDS (whether jds loses to overeem or not).

I'd be shocked if Bigfoot beats Cain and it would be a bit of a joke if Bigfoot got a UFC title shot considering how easily Cormier dispatched him.

And Silva trains with the Blackzilians in Florida, not in Brazil with Black House(JDS, Nogs, etc..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I just want to see Cormier vs every UFC HW

not at once

I just want to see Cormier vs every UFC HW

not at once

I don't think Cormier is quite there yet. I don't think he will be up to the challenge of the very top guys just yet (although a quality wrestler can beat anyone i guess)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'd be shocked if Bigfoot beats Cain and it would be a bit of a joke if Bigfoot got a UFC title shot considering how easily Cormier dispatched him.

And Silva trains with the Blackzilians in Florida, not in Brazil with Black House(JDS, Nogs, etc..)

Well Brock went "the toughest route possible" eg beat Heath Herring and got a shot so you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

there is an awful lot of sorting out to do once all the strikeforce heavyweights go to ufc, the winner of the grandprix must fight once more in strikeforce so thats another year atleast, they are mentioning fedors name against the winner. i think a few fighters may skip the queue like silva if he beats cain, we got about 6 contenders now, if werdum beats nelson he will be up there aswell, obviously the winner of barnett & cormier should be the next no1 challenger but the guys who got knocked out of the grand prix earlier now have a better chance of a title shot, all because of the showtime contract with strikeforce.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Well Brock went "the toughest route possible" eg beat Heath Herring and got a shot so you never know!

Haha, that's true but I think the HW division has moved on since then. I reckon it's mute anyway as I can't see Silva defeating Cain.

On another point, seems to be alot of people picking Overeem to beat JDS, gotta say I'm STILL not sold on Overeem. He beat Brock easily but that told us more about Brock really.

Haha, that's true but I think the HW division has moved on since then. I reckon it's mute anyway as I can't see Silva defeating Cain.

On another point, seems to be alot of people picking Overeem to beat JDS, gotta say I'm STILL not sold on Overeem. He beat Brock easily but that told us more about Brock really.

Overeem is a scary dude alright, but is very very beatable.

I just think that JDS hasn't really shown us much to suggest that he'd be a big favourite over Overeem. I don't see where JDS is really that much better than Overeem. His boxing perhaps but does he have the full repetoire that Alaistair has? We've yet to see much of his ground game.

I fancy Overeem v JDS!

Overeem is a scary dude alright, but is very very beatable.

I just think that JDS hasn't really shown us much to suggest that he'd be a big favourite over Overeem. I don't see where JDS is really that much better than Overeem. His boxing perhaps but does he have the full repetoire that Alaistair has? We've yet to see much of his ground game.

I fancy Overeem v JDS!

Yeah, Overeem has the more tools with his striking but Juniors footwork is very good. It's mainly Overeems chin that would concern me, he's been knocked out a fair few times and JDS can find that sweet spot.

He does have a brown belt in BJJ under Yuri Carlton, and afaik he started BJJ before he trained Boxing, so he should be pretty competent compared to the Reem.

I like the reem in this fight but I think JDS might take it. There seems to be a curse with the heavyweight belt, they all have great streaks until the title defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I think Cain KO's Bigfoot everyday of the week. Like team mate Cormier he's just gonna have hands way too quick for Silva. Silva has very little head movement, shown when he almost got KO'ed by a 205 Mike Kyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

danaandbabybl.jpg

Advertisement