Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 141: Lesnar -V- Overeem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

.....whats a cian?

Dammit. Just remembered no Schievello for this :(
    THE HUMAN KNEE!!!THE HUMAN KNEE!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

.....whats a cian?
    Think its a guy from Westlife, maybe thats who disco knows. :rolleyes:

Think its a guy from Westlife, maybe thats who disco knows. :rolleyes:

Tell him I said congrats on the baby DiscoBiscuit.

Anyway back on track. The Voice will be sorely missed. Replace Goldberg with him and I'll be happy for crimbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, would love The Voice to replace Goldie. As for the fight, I really hope it doesn't turn out to be 'Lesnar afraid to stand and constantly shoot and Overeem afraid to go to ground so constantly ready to stuff the takedown'.

Ye think the game Undisputed 3 got it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Lads Overeem has this in the 1st via (t)ko!!!! He is training in Xtreme Couture, Wrestling with randy and gray!!! Also has Vitor for sparring in the ring with, he is gonna kill Brock!!

He will beat him worse than Cian did!!

(And yes we are on first name basis!!)

Step your life up lads!

That's Mr. 68 to you

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DiscoBiscuits

Ya Cian! Cain's Irish cousin! With Ginger pride tattooed on his chest

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

I believe the result will be obvious within the first 10 seconds.

Brock will surely shoot immediately for the takedown. If he suceeds, I believe he'll win. If Overeem stuffs it, then he'll make Brock suffer standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I believe the result will be obvious within the first 10 seconds.

Brock will surely shoot immediately for the takedown. If he suceeds, I believe he'll win. If Overeem stuffs it, then he'll make Brock suffer standing.

Or Brock could fake to shoot and hit a hard straight right, like he did against Herring.

Now Overeem is far, far superior to Herring on the feet, but if he's worried about that takedown his striking defense won't be as good as normal.

This is a very interesting matchup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Whichever way this fight goes, I can't see it lasting very long.
    Either Brock will get a takedown early and smash Overeems face in, or Overeem will destroy Brock while they're standing.
    Id say it'll finish in rd1, and Paddy Power seems to think the same. They have a 1st rd finish at evens.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

pauldoo wrote: »

Guile theme goes with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Cant wait for this one!! If it goes to the ground Overeen is snookered. Overeen's cardio will be tested here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

My biggest fear is that Alistair has had such a disruptive training camp.

The breakup with golden glory,finding a new camp, then the move back to the Netherlands because of his mothers illness, the drug testing, these are all psychologically draining on a fighter. Then he's not flying to the states until after Christmas. Anything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong. If he wins this he will really have done so against the odds.

In saying that, I think if he puts hands on Brock that'll be the end of it. A preying mantis waiting to unleash upon his target Lesnar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

horsemeat wrote: »
    A preying mantis waiting to unleash upon his target Lesnar.

I just got a mental image of Alastair shagging Brock and then biting his head off.

Christmas is cancelled in the Stuffins house :(

• Advertisement

Merry Christmas Stuffins,all differences we had in the past put aside for the new year. Have a good one mate.

Give my regards also to your mother, haven't seen her posting on these forums in a while, hope everything is ok with her! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

My biggest fear is that Alistair has had such a disruptive training camp.

The breakup with golden glory,finding a new camp, then the move back to the Netherlands because of his mothers illness, the drug testing, these are all psychologically draining on a fighter. Then he's not flying to the states until after Christmas. Anything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong. If he wins this he will really have done so against the odds.

In saying that, I think if he puts hands on Brock that'll be the end of it. A preying mantis waiting to unleash upon his target Lesnar.

this would be my main worry to.

his camp hasnt seemed all that "together", well, from what we've seen up until now.

perhaps these videos are a form of ploy by Overeem to make it look that way.

id love Overeem to win this, yet i still have doubts. The even funnier thing is with his wealth of experience i shouldnt be having any doubts that he can beat a guy that only has 5-6 fights to his name. but them doubts remain.

the one thing i think we can all agree on is this is easily the most anticipated heavyweight fight in UFC history

i havent been this excited about a fight since the GSP and Matt Hughes rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Would love to see Brock win this, hes had a rough time of it with his illness and hes a phenomenal athlete. Either way hope they give us a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

the one thing i think we can all agree on is this is easily the most anticipated heavyweight fight in UFC history

i havent been this excited about a fight since the GSP and Matt Hughes rematch.

I was way more looking forward to Cain vs JDS.

Always like seeing Brock as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

mdwexford wrote: »
    I was way more looking forward to Cain vs JDS.

Cain v JDS was a genuine massive fight and was bigger than this by far

But Dana say's the fight is the biggest ever so the sheep will follow this

He is trying to hype this is and everyone will follow him and Joe Rogan's comments as if there gospel

Baaaaah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Slightly disrespectful from Diaz - http://www.ufc.com/media/141-PREPC-HATFLIP

Hope Cerrone wins this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Don't like how either of the Diaz brothers carry themselves to be honest, but can't argue with their skills.

Still hope Cerrone takes this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Slightly disrespectful from Diaz - http://www.ufc.com/media/141-PREPC-HATFLIP

Hope Cerrone wins this.

Wow Dana is strong. See how far back he was able to push Diaz :D

Cain v JDS was a genuine massive fight and was bigger than this by far

But Dana say's the fight is the biggest ever so the sheep will follow this

He is trying to hype this is and everyone will follow him and Joe Rogan's comments as if there gospel

Baaaaah

The cain jds fight was the one dana was trying to hype as the biggest ever due to it being on Fox. Nobody outside of the mma community even knows who jds or cain are, and you can be sure they probably still don't know now either. It was a heavyweight title fight that was par for the course standard of excitement for your common mma fan, but meant nothing to those outside the mma community.

Overeem Lesnar is a fight for the ages, a dream match up fanboys have been fantasising about for years, ever since overeem was mopping up in everything outside the ufc and when lesnar was mopping up inside the ufc. dana doesnt need to blindly hype this one, it's going to be huge regardless. Lesnar is one of the biggest PPV draws in the world, add in the fact he's fighting a guy (to non mma fans) who looks like he literally stepped out of a marvel comic book, and (to mma fans) arguably the most technically skilled and most dangerous striker in the heavyweight division.

People aren't ''following'' dana and regurgitating everything he spews out.
    This is a fight people have been talking about seeing for ages, personally I remember pondering the thought of it on and off for circa two - three years.

This is a genuine superfight, the entire mma community is nearly slipping off their sits because they are so wet with anticipation, and it has nothing to do with dw and jr.

Expect this to do big numbers.

The cain jds fight was the one dana was trying to hype as the biggest ever due to it being on Fox. Nobody outside of the mma community even knows who jds or cain are, and you can be sure they probably still don't know now either. It was a heavyweight title fight that was par for the course standard of excitement for your common mma fan, but meant nothing to those outside the mma community.

Overeem Lesnar is a fight for the ages, a dream match up fanboys have been fantasising about for years, ever since overeem was mopping up in everything outside the ufc and when lesnar was mopping up inside the ufc. dana doesnt need to blindly hype this one, it's going to be huge regardless. Lesnar is one of the biggest PPV draws in the world, add in the fact he's fighting a guy (to non mma fans) who looks like he literally stepped out of a marvel comic book, and (to mma fans) arguably the most technically skilled and most dangerous striker in the heavyweight division.

This is a fight people have been talking about seeing for ages, personally I remember pondering the thought of it on and off for circa two - three years.

This is a genuine superfight, the entire mma community is nearly slipping off their sits because they are so wet with anticipation, and it has nothing to do with dw and jr.

i couldnt have said it better myself.

a fantastic post!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What its it about HW main events cause people to lose all sort of reasoning.

Saying Brock hasn't a hope is nonsense. He destrpys Overeem on the ground and has a good chance of keeping it here.
    Overeem is overrated imo. A lot of experience at 205. But a lot of losses to the lieks of Rua, Nog, Chuck.
    at HW he hasn't actually fought very high class opponents. Mark Hunt and a NC with Crocop. Or Rogers, Duffee and Werdum, dont rate any of them tbh. He is a good kickboxer but MMA isn't kickboxing, this match up is exactly the reason why. Plus his K-1 title was handed to him, he got a nice run. I'm not saying he is bad or anything. He is just yet to be proven. A lot of the above comments are the usual Brock-hate.

I'd put this fight at about 50/50, so I think Brock at 6/4 is far better value than Overeem at 4/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd be hugely confidant that this won't get near the numbers of Cain JDS. For obvious reasons. Thats not a marker of how big a fight is, DW was talking in very specific terms when he said that.

It's a number one contender fighter, between an ex UFC champ and a fighter with titles elsewhere. So it will prob do similar numbers to the last few times the HW belt has been on the line. Which tends to be bigger than the lighter championship fights

I think your money is better on Brock than Overeem. We've seen people who've made it big in Japan and in other non-USA shows flop in the UFC (Kid Yamamoto and Jorge Santiago recently, and about a hundred more) I think Overeem will get the Octagon jitters like everyone else and Lesnar will capatilise.

Having said that he has a lot of experience so maybe he'll overcome it. Lesnar can and will take Overeem down early, Overeem may get a guillotine on but you can bet your bollocks that Lesnar has been drilling guillotine escapes. Also Lesnar's chin has to come into play. Carwin couldn't put him away, Cain couldn't decisively knock him out either. He can get pounded out but he isn't going unconscious so if he gets rocked and grabs a leg he will be back on top.

All signs are pointing to Lesnar for the win but it'd be nice to see Overeem V JDS for the title. And I'll be rooting for Overeem on the night. And if he can't beat Lesnar then Overeem-Carwin would be nice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

If lesnar comes in fit I think he will smash over(rated)eem

• Advertisement

The shove by Diaz has me really really excited for this one (and I was really excited before).

I've always been a Cowboy fan and I hope he smashes Diaz's punk face!

Brock was hilarious at the presser. He did NOT wanna be there. Someone asked him a very long winded question about being underdog and he snarled back "WELL THIS DOG HAS A BIG F*CKING BITE!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

maybe stupid question but where will i be able watch the replay of this match will it be on the net or where

czgalway wrote: »
    maybe stupid question but where will i be able watch the replay of this match will it be on the net or where

espn for a start.

otherwise id imagine isohunt or piratebay the following morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

brock for me also

i think overeem is over rated and it'll be all brock should it
    go past the first 13/10 is value imo
    brock tko 2nd round for me
    I wouldn't mind being wrong but i'd hate to see overeem get
    a shot at jds as he's not in his league

cerrone by decision, should be too good for diaz without finishing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Cowboy looks really dry, a bit drained for my liking

edit, Diaz needs to lose 1lb, now the tables have turned.

Re:Edit the previous edit, Cerrone says the 1lb is grand, he'll fight him anyway. Personally, id have made him lose that lb.

call me a UFC nuthugger, but i dont care what anyone says, this heavyweight fight, IMO, is the most exciting theyve ever put on EVER. im actually getting goose bumpsnow thinking about it :D

Diaz nearly falling up the steps, BRILLIANT!!!

• Advertisement

Jaysus Brock just entered Beast Mode

Was Jow Silva wearing an "OCP" t-shirt?

I want one!!!!

Also, i'm seriously pumped for this fight all of a sudden. Seeing how psyched Brock is makes it so exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Man Brock looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd be hugely confidant that this won't get near the numbers of Cain JDS.

So it will prob do similar numbers to the last few times the HW belt has been on the line.

Just to be pedantic, it certainly won't do the numbers that Cain vs JDS did, because that fight wasn't a PPV. It was on free TV on Fox and drew over 8 million!

On a level playing field, i.e. both on PPV or both on free TV I think Brock vs Overeem would far outdraw Cain-JDS. Brock's pulling power is vast and proven. Like it or not, he brings WWE fans to the table to see how he does. I know a few WWE die hards who don't watch MMA except when Brock fights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can't wait for this, it's going to be great to see Brock back in the octagon, I wasn't sure if he would come back after his most recent health scare and of course it's going to be great to finally see Overeem in the Octagon and settle all those years of internet arguing.

I think it's too close to pick a winner, and personally I like both of these guys too much to choose one to lose, but whoever does lose will have some serious questions to answer the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anywhere else I can watch the weigh ins other than UFC.tv or youtube?

I have 2 PCs in work, 1 can access UFC.tv but the weigh ins won't play, the other has no flash player and I don't have the access to install, and neither can access youtube! :mad:

• Advertisement

Now we know why Overeem didnt stay at Xtreme Couture
    LESNAR FORCED OVEREEM OUT OF XTREME COUTURE, SAYS TRAINER

Brock Lesnar was the reason that Alistair Overeem’s move to Xtreme Couture was short-lived, according to one of the trainers at the Las Vegas gym.

Overeem joined Xtreme Couture after parting ways with his Golden Glory team in Holland. He relocated to the US and the switch to Xtreme Couture was documented in episode seven of Overeem’s online documentary diary ‘The Reem’.

But by the next episode he was in California training at Mark Munoz’s facility Reign MMA. It had been thought he was looking for a lot of input from different wrestling stylists but according to Xtreme Couture boxing coach Gil Martinez, the hand of Lesnar was at play.

“There were some issues with Alistair training at Xtreme Couture because Randy, after he fought Brock, trained with him and signed a disclosure with them. So even though Randy isn't at the gym, Brock’s people made it an issue so Overeem ended up not finishing his training here,” he told FightLine.

The non-disclosure agreement Couture signed with the notoriously insular Lesnar meant that there was a possible breach of contract issue at play unless Overeem left the gym. Overeem’s troubles were then compounded by having to head back to his native Holland to care for his ill mother.

His training camp has thus been a disjointed one and he has not had access to any of his usual sparring partners nor any US fighters or trainers for the last few weeks. He has had the same coaches - from Swedish gym GBG - travelling with him for the entirety of the camp, but there has still been a noticeable absence of consistency.

Overeem vs. Lesnar headlines UFC 141, which takes place tonight in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    Fighters Only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxj2ctnHwE

I dunno how to make the video show up, but i found this interestin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Junior D wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxj2ctnHwE

I dunno how to make the video show up, but i found this interestin

Here ya go. When posting select the YOUTUBE symbol in the options on right above this text box, in between the 2 youtube things that will pop up paste in a code from the link, it's 'normally' everything after the = sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

What time do the Facebook prelims start?

Niall0 wrote: »
    What time do the Facebook prelims start?

I'd presume midnight?

• Advertisement
Advertisement