Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Farmed Fish

Options
  • 20-12-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

We are not great fish eaters in our house - Donegal catch every now and again would be it.
    Having guests, who are ethical eaters, I suppose you would call them, so I would like to buy some fish that hasn't been farmed.
    What kind of fish would that be? I mean I guess not salmon or trout or bass. Is plaice or sole farmed? What other sorts- and would I find it in Dublin or would I have to go to howth at the crack of dawn. Isn't there a fish market in the city - do they sell only imported farmed fish?
    Any information appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Farmed fish here are Trout and Salmon, You do know that you can get Organically farmed Salmon?
    Bass is imported.
    Plaice and Sole are not farmed.
    You could try Herring or Mackerel?
    Hake is another nice fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kirw2n

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Isn't there a fish market in the city - do they sell only imported farmed fish?
    Any information appreciated.
    Thanks

There's a fish Market in Smithfield by the name of Kish Fish. (google it for more info!)

They're very good and will tell you all you need to know about what you're buying/origin etc~

Try the smoked coley. It's Delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

kirw2n wrote: »
    There's a fish Market in Smithfield by the name of Kish Fish. (google it for more info!)

They're very good and will tell you all you need to know about what you're buying/origin etc~

Try the smoked coley. It's Delish!
    Do you know that that is full of colours??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Do you know that that is full of colours??

Some smoked fish is, mostly the commercial stuff. Not all smokehouses use artificial colouring, though.

Try the smoked coley. It's Delish![/QUOTE]
    Do you know that that is full of colours??[/Quote]

way to bring the mood down!...

Coley is a sustainable fish, coloured or not. :)

• Advertisement

So you don't mind eating that coloured crap?

I felt sorry for an auld fella buying a few bits at a fish counter up in Asda one day...

Auld fella:I'll have abit of that yellow one, abit of that pink one there....

Poor lad thought he was buying abit of variety, it was the same fish just with different gunk added to it, I told him, he left it all there.

OP, you can be really lucky somtimes and get abit of "caught" Salmon in Asda aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP, you can be really lucky somtimes and get abit of "caught" Salmon in Asda aswell.
    You can buy fish from sources other than Asda you know?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You can buy fish from sources other than Asda you know?
    It's the only place to get decent fish within 2 and a half hours of me.

Everywhere else is farmed, manky looking, within an hour of of not fit for sale, sitting on the ice processed sh*te, I've looked, I'm sick of looking.

So you don't mind eating that coloured crap?

I felt sorry for an auld fella buying a few bits at a fish counter up in Asda one day...

Auld fella:I'll have abit of that yellow one, abit of that pink one there....

Poor lad thought he was buying abit of variety, it was the same fish just with different gunk added to it, I told him, he left it all there.

Well, I get most of my fish in the Asia Market in town (Drury St~)

Now THEY know good seafood!

And never coloured either! so you should be happy about that~ ^_^
    try it out, they're also very friendly~

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thank you, I'll try Kish Fish first off.
    I went to a chinese store in Parkwest last year, I remember they had loads of fish but it was all frozen.
    I thought of another question: Has anyone ever seen octupus on sale here?

• Advertisement

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Thank you, I'll try Kish Fish first off.
    I went to a chinese store in Parkwest last year, I remember they had loads of fish but it was all frozen.
    I thought of another question: Has anyone ever seen octupus on sale here?

Again, Asia Market sometimes has octopus in, but it depends on the season.. (a drawback of non-farmed seafood!)
    A helpful tip is their Facebook page! Just search for their name from your own Facebook to find it.

They always reply to comments! So if you ask when/if they'll have fresh octopus soon, they'll answer.

Also, I've seen octopus more commonly for sale at the fish counters of a couple of the Chinese/Korean supermarkets up by Parnell street. Have a gander!

I seen Octopus in a Fruit and Veg shop one day, in the Freezer, gave me shivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I seen Octopus in a Fruit and Veg shop one day, in the Freezer, gave me shivers!

You can get a dried version that you can snack on like chewy crisps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Saw fresh octopus in either Nicky's Plaice or one of the other shops out Howth pier, was a lot of carp in yesterday too, so could be a Xmas thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Saw fresh octopus in either Nicky's Plaice or one of the other shops out Howth pier, was a lot of carp in yesterday too, so could be a Xmas thing

Carp is the Polish Turkey. The recent tradition in Poland since communist times is to buy an alive carp and club it to death in the bath at home. As you can guess the Polish government have tried to change that tradition this year by enforcing animal cruelty legislation.

Advertisement