Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High speed video lighting

Options
  • 20-12-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on lighting for high speed video footage.

I'm videoing at 240fps with a shutter speed of 1/2000.
    I'm currently using a casio ex-fh100

At these settings indoors, the footage is almost pitch black.
    I will be filming about 1-2 meters away from object.

I can get my hands on a 300w halogen light, but have no idea if this will work or not.

Would appreciate all recommendations and don't want to spend a small fortune either.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I'm sure you have a builders center near you, go there and hire some plug in halogens just make sure you get the household adapter.

If it works then you can buy them the next time they come up in Aldi or Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Thanks Bodhan,

Any idea how much I would need (wattage).

As said I can get my hands on a 300watt portable halogen, do you think would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Thanks Bodhan,

Any idea how much I would need (wattage).

As said I can get my hands on a 300watt portable halogen, do you think would be enough?

Depends on the type of motion. If its a drop of water type motion you'll need lots more. If it's a football to someones face you'll need less.
    For high speed video there's never enough light.
    The right camera works too, if you have a spare 10k like these guys http://www.youtube.com/user/theslowmoguys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

A spare 10k? More like 100-150k!

Advertisement