Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Recommendation South Dublin.

• 20-12-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I'm looking for a new vet surgery. I have been using the one in Dundrum because it was easy, but I'm not happy with them so want to move elsewhere. Any suggestions? I've done a search but just wanted up to date info and recommendations if poss as I don't want any more problems. Much appreciated.

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,410 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know one of the vets in this practice

http://www.arkvetcare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53

He's a really nice guy, and did very well with my sister's dog which developed some obscure illness while very young - treated him over about a year, and he's still going strong (the dog, not the vet - although he's still going strong as well!).

ETA I think he works in the Kilmacud branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I can highly recommend the clinic on Nutgrove Ave. My lad has been going there for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 munk

Thanks HeidiHeidi It looks pretty good that place I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,410 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I hope it's as good as I think it is! My sister was well impressed anyway (I sadly don't have any pets, but if I did that's where I'd be bringing them!), and my pal is a very sound guy. Good luck if you try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

May I ask why your unhappy with your previous clinic? are you unhappy with the service the prices or the standard of care?

• Advertisement

Hi Vince, I've had dogs all my life (in Merseyside), and have nearly always been to the same practise. I had complete trust in them to do the best for my pets. There's just something about the Dundrum clinic that I don't like. I don't mind paying as much as is necessary to ensure the health of my animals, but every time I go into this place they spend 2 minutes looking at my dogs and 10 minutes trying to sell me things that I don't need or want, including pressuring us to neuter both of them. I don't want to slag this place off unnecessarily as some people are obviously happy with it but I certainly won't be going there again. The last straw was the other day when I took my Standard Schnauzer pup in for its first health check. They literally spent 1 minute "looking" at her and the service just wasn't good enough for the prices they charge. I walked out of there thinking that if there were any issues, there is no way that they would have spotted them. They didn't even take her temperature.

Sorry about the long reply I'm just passionate about my animals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just for comparison's sake - my vet checked over my sisters rescue pup, it took her approximately 2 minutes. However within that 2 minutes she was able to diagnose conjunctivitis, a hernia and problems with bone growth in the back legs (due to rubbish diet). We were 5 minutes max in the vets including waiting time, getting the pup weighed and paying the receptionist. She wouldn't vaccinate or micro-chip until the pup was in better condition but we came away with eye-drops, flea treatment, worming tablets, leaflets on nutrition and a bit of education in relation to the hernia.

Basicly I just wanted to point out that it may not look like they do very much but with young puppies this basic health check is just that, an experienced vet knows what to look for and if we had gone in with a perfectly healthy pup would have been non the wiser as to the sort of problems that this initial check can bring to light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Your perfectly right to switch off their service, an exam should be at least 10 actual minutes, checking heart rate, temp, vital organs, limbs paws&pads, mouth and teeth, eyes and ears.

If you went to your doctor and had a 1 minute exam you'd be on the phone on the way out reporting him.

That said I don't know the vets up there, so I shouldn't comment but if it were me I would switch off too.

I was just curious to the reason, the vets listed above come recommended so check those out.

EDIT: "Perfectly right" isn't the right term to use, if you think the vet is more interested in selling products, than the welfare of your animals considering a different care giver is a good option to explore.

Some vets are very decent, some are in a hurry home, some have to meet their sales quota deciding which one you have is a personal decision.

Hi adrenalinejunkie, fair do's mate. The last thing I wanted to do with this thread was bad mouth a vets for no reason - after all I know very little about the actual science of it. I just figured that you've got to follow your gut instinct on things and If you're not happy, go somewhere else.

Vince, cheers for the advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

munk wrote: »
    I just figured that you've got to follow your gut instinct on things and If you're not happy, go somewhere else.

Oh I completely agree with that, I just felt it was worth stating the other side of the coin as people are much quicker to voice negative opinions of something than to randomly state that they find the service they get from x, y or z place acceptable as you just don't have the same motivation to do so ;).

I've no experience of the place you mentioned but felt I had experience enough elsewhere to relate to the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Without wanting to 'out' the Vet clinic you're speaking of, I know we go to Argyle & Bainbridge in Dundrum, and for the most part we've been pretty happy. That said, we prefer to see Mr. Argyle, my dogs don't appear too fond of Mr. Bainbridge (not implying he's a bad vet though) and I prefer Mr. Argyle too.
    Just if they're not the vets you currently see, then I'd say maybe try there.
    If they are, then as others have mentioned - there is one on Nutgrove Avenue and then Ark Vets also. I have no personal experience with them though I'm afraid.

As you & AJ have said, it depends on the person as well as everything else, some people can find a place great, and others don't, but you're always better to go somewhere both you and your animals are comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I go to Blackrock Vet Clinic. Always find them really helpful and really thorough. They're always busy but will see you in an emergency as well.

Advertisement