Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advance Online/Distance CAD Courses

Options
  • 20-12-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a preferably online advanced CAD course, specifically Inventor or Solid Works. I have 5 years of college training in Autodesk software and would really like to add to what I already know by getting into an advanced course, just something that might help me get that design job!

Anyway I'm skilled at modelling and fairly skilled at simulation so if I can be even more specific I would be interested in learning how to operate using whatever software as part of a larger network with libraries etc, something I have no exposure to from college.

As I said the course would preferably be online or distance as I travel alot with work and couldn't commit to anything regular.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sorry do you mean you've five years experience in CAD or as part of your 5 year course you used CAD?

I think most online courses require you to have your own access to what ever packages are being taught. So can you get your hands on a licence? If you're still in college or know someone who is you may be able to get a student licence. http://www.myigetit.com/ is a site that's been mentioned a few times on here for online training. I've never used so can't say if it's any use or not.

For file management Solidworks comes with the Solidworks Explorer tool. From here you can change part/assembly/drawings names and check assembly references, where parts are used etc. If you're good at modelling you could get a Solidworks for Dummies type book that has a section on Explorer and get familiar with it.

Solidworks PDM is a more secure version of Explorer for larger companies (I think). I've never used it so can't really comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Hey,
    My experience is in college, the reason I regard myself as experienced is I have looked at some easy to find courses online and none of them would teach me anything new, bar perhaps a different way of working + my ability and work.

The specific thing I have in mind is Inventor's vault, I have seen this and I haven't really ever dug into it, I presume it is like a bunch of databases etc, but I have been to interviews and am pretty sure my lack of knowledge in this specific area cost me one design job. To me vault or explorer as you say are the CAD equivalent of SAP, could be wrong but this is my point, I need to be able to operate in this area to be useful outside of modelling etc. (which I do consider myself highly skilled in)

I will give that site a look though, thanks.

If I could find a course maybe a week long I could attend but my preference is online, trouble is, the online ones all seem to be introductory and not for advanced skill set.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know anything about Inventor but for Solidworks Solid Solutions in Dublin offer training packages, some of which are advanced. Check out http://www.solidsolutions.ie/training.htm.

I've never done any training with them so can't confirm of their of any use or not.

Advertisement