Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasphemy seems to be a Taboo subject here.

Options
  • 20-12-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

At a posters suggestion I bring my gripe here. Three recent threads on the subject closed almost immediately. Last one had 16 replies in 8 minutes.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

well don't give any relevant information whatever you do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056490109
    ...had NOTHING to back up your claim.
    No links, no nothing.

As for this one - the mod CLEARLY stated why it was closed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056489565

...and this one - same again!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056489073

Its not rocket science if you follow the forum rules and actually start a thread in the right way/method.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You posted those in politics?
    Don't start one-liner "i had this random thought" OPs and they won't be locked

don't start "halp halp im being repressed" threads in AH and they won't be locked either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Xenophile, the simple answer is - is to start up a thread like the following:
    I think the Blasphemy laws are wrong in this country and I think Mr/Mrs X is wrong also.
    Here are the reason why I think this...

* List of examples/thoughts/opinions...

Do others agree with me or what do ye think?

Post something along the lines above (or words to that effect) and you will be far more successful in having a good debate - and it should stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

we need a referendum to overturn tbe blasphemy law. ff did not unilaterally bring it in. it has always been in our constitution..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Seriously?

The subject isn't the problem here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Seriously?

The subject isn't the problem here tbh.

i tried to explain how he's wrong twice in threads and they were shut before i finished typing. just felt he needed the facts incase he goes for another run at it.

just got frustrated since im using abdriod and typing isnt easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Sorry Ritchie, my post wasn't directed at you at all. :) you are right in what you are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Maybe the reason the blasphemy legislation is hard to discuss rationally is that the subject is such an abstract one. That will happen when and if someone is actually charged with blasphemy in Ireland, something that afaik has not happened yet. That could get very interesting, especially if the "blasphemous one" is someone like me who is probably out of the jurisdiction and, in the event of Ireland seeking my extradition, is prepared to fight the thing through every court in Europe on the ground that you cannot mock something that doesn't exist. At least that would be my argument in Finland, of which I am a citizen and in view of the fact that the Finnish word for blasphemy is jumalanpilkka, literally "mocking god".;);)

I can just see the headlines in the Finnish tabloids "Bankrupt Ireland demands extradition of Helsinki pensioner for taunting paedophile church."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The real question I have is why you weren't banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Maybe the reason the blasphemy legislation is hard to discuss rationally is that the subject is such an abstract one. That will happen when and if someone is actually charged with blasphemy in Ireland, something that afaik has not happened yet. That could get very interesting, especially if the "blasphemous one" is someone like me who is probably out of the jurisdiction and, in the event of Ireland seeking my extradition, is prepared to fight the thing through every court in Europe on the ground that you cannot mock something that doesn't exist. At least that would be my argument in Finland, of which I am a citizen and in view of the fact that the Finnish word for blasphemy is jumalanpilkka, literally "mocking god".;);)

I can just see the headlines in the Finnish tabloids "Bankrupt Ireland demands extradition of Helsinki pensioner for taunting paedophile church."
    But that isn't the problem though, is it?

The problem is the OP and how he/she attempts to initiate discussion on the subject.

Or am I missing something?

Edit: Actually, the OP could take a look at your post for some pointers, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The current Government while in opposition huffed and puffed when Dermot Ahearne introduced the new blasphemy laws and in opposition said that there was no need for them. It so happens I agree.

Why wait for someone to take a case, just repeal the laws and if someone wants to take a constitutional challenge let them do it. To repeal a law with the Government having such a large majority is even simpler than their being enacted. There are so many intelligent things that can be done that do not cost much money and now is the time.

Can anyone remember the clamour for the intoduction of blasphemy laws, well I can't and no one else can either because it just wasn't there.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Xenophile wrote: »
    The current Government while in opposition huffed and puffed when Dermot Ahearne introduced the new blasphemy laws and in opposition said that there was no need for them. It so happens I agree.

Why wait for someone to take a case, just repeal the laws and if someone wants to take a constitutional challenge let them do it. To repeal a law with the Government having such a large majority is even simpler than their being enacted. There are so many intelligent things that can be done that do not cost much money and now is the time.

Can anyone remember the clamour for the intoduction of blasphemy laws, well I can't and no one else can either because it just wasn't there.

Now thats a better quality post to start a thread with in politics forum, perhaps a little long for AH but sure beats a vague one liner.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Xenophile wrote: »

Feedback isn't the place to start a discussion like this. You've been told how to post in Politics to avoid having your threads closed, so armed with that knowledge I suggest you take it there.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement