Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pops ups????

Options
  • 20-12-2011 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Using beta so when I hover the cursor over the boards.ie in the top left to bring up post of the day etc there are 3 hyperlinks to some poxy survey spam thing to win an ipad,whats going on there?

Is it intentional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

I'm almost 100% certain that this isn't intentional, can you perhaps provide a screenshot, can you also please capture the full window just in case there's something else that's interfering.

Cheers,
    Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cant get a screen shot atm but will do so in the morning.When I hover over any of the 3 hyperlinks

1 is "Day" in thread of the day

1 is "post" in post of the day

1 is "new" in new forums

a little vibrating box appears that is powered by "text enhance".

Will do a screen grab from my work desk top in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

What browser and operating system are you using?

I've tested Safari, Opera, Firefox and Chrome on Windows 7 and Mac OS X and there is no such behaviour. I also just checked the menu code, there's nothing like this in there. I believe this might be an addon for your browser that is keywording text and providing you with ads. See the first result from Google for Text Enhance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Hmm to me that sounds like some adware/malware installed on the machine that you're currently on and will most likely be not installed on your work machine.

Are the hyperlinks slightly greenish in colour and have a double underline? If so it's definitely adware and should scan your PC with relevant tools.

I could also be totally barking up the wrong tree here as i'm not a windows user :).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

windows/chrome/beta nothing popping up for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Cheers for further confirmation bluewolf. Otis, I think it's safe to say you got some nasty software installed :) If you need assistance removing it I found the folks over in the Windows forum a great help when I pestered them many moons ago :)

Coolio,Im using Chrome,the links are in blue with a single underline.

I will do some debugging and let ye know,cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Those sound like the exact links that turn up on my friend's computer on Chrome when he's browsing facebook. I don't think it's facebook or boards that have the problem.

De-bugged my laptop and they are gone.

Thanks guys!

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement