Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy Agreements in Belfast

Options
  • 20-12-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

I moved to Belfast a shot while ago and all went well - renting in what is supposedly a nice area and working away.

A couple of weeks ago I was awoken by banging on my front door - got up to open it and got a glass smashed in my eye and beaten pretty much unconcious whilst be told to get out that no southerners were wanted here - the language was a lot worse than that but I'm trying to polite here.

Anyways, I no longer feel safe in this city which is a shame as it was my first time there and I was enjoying my work there.

Long story short, I intend to move south of the border and drive to work every day but my landlord is being a bit of a git and won't let me out of my 12 month tenancy agreement in the old place.

I have reported the incident that happened to the police but the police tell me my landlord can't find the cctv for that particular date - 1 day after the event - surprise surprise.

So anyways, I want to break the tenancy agreement as I need to for my own safety as I nearly lost my left eye and had to have surgery to save it.

What rights do I have in this situation up North does anyone know?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a terrible thing to happen and Id imagine its an isolated case also.

In any event you should contact the N.I. citizens advice bureau - contact details here

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭count66

muffler wrote: »
    Thats a terrible thing to happen and Id imagine its an isolated case also.

In any event you should contact the N.I. citizens advice bureau - contact details here

Thanks Muffler - it is an isolated case and most of the people I have met in Belfast have been lovely - thanks for the contact details. Cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nedzer2011

Sorry for going a little off topic, but roughly where did this happen?? I've been living in Belfast with a group of southerners for close to 3 years - in both 'neutral' and more unionist areas. We've never had anything close to hassle.

Very sorry to hear about your situation, it's the first I've heard of any such attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭count66

nedzer2011 wrote: »
    Sorry for going a little off topic, but roughly where did this happen?? I've been living in Belfast with a group of southerners for close to 3 years - in both 'neutral' and more unionist areas. We've never had anything close to hassle.

Very sorry to hear about your situation, it's the first I've heard of any such attack.

Hi Nedzer - it happened in the Titanic Quarter near the Premier Inn - according to the cops who came out to take my statement its far more regular than people realise but its just not reported as it puts off foreign investment - his words not mine.

I can't comment as I have only lived there 3 months but it happened to me and no one else I no.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭6679

Wow

As a fellow southerner I am shocked, I have never had any real hassle in Belfast despite living in a "unionist" area. Yeah sure I get a bit of slagging about it but nothing like this at all. I know a few other people from the south and none of them have had any trouble.

I work across the road from where this happened and I am still amazed that it would happen in that area of all places.

If you dont mind me asking how did they find out you are a southerner or where you lived?

Also where are you planning to move to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There are nicer unionist parts of town than others though. Like 6679 I lived in East Belfast and loved it but I wouldn't be too quick to move to your particular part of it OP. As everyone else has said there are much more tolerant areas/neighbourhoods you could move to without feeling threatened because of where you come from.

Regarding the lease I've been in a similar situation myself in Belfast. If it's a standard fixed term lease (as in x number of months from a certain date) and the landlord was a reasonable sort they could allow you to break the lease, however legally they don't have to. Friends of mine who have done this after getting jobs back home have either forfeited their deposit or had to find someone agreeable to take over the lease with the landlord's permission. Legally you signed for x number of months and if you choose to leave (no matter why you're forced to do so) the landlord can pursue you for the remaining number of months rent. In reality though that doesn't always happen and if you move to another jurisdiction (i.e. the Republic of Ireland) any judgement couldn't be enforced. If the landlord is unwilling to negotiate you can by all means pack up your stuff and go but be aware that within NI the landlord can and very well may pursue you legally for the remaining rent.

The Citizen's Advice Bureau in the health centre at Holywood Arches were the ones that helped me out and they were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If you really want out of the contract go to the Belfast Telegraph and give them the full story including your landlord's stance on the matter. Also contact your local MLAs and your MP, Naiomi Long. Put as much pressure on as possible.
    These instances of sectarianism need to be brought to light. IIRC there hasnt been such a news story in a while, I'm sure the press would welcome another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Irelandsfinest

The NIO and housing executive have a duty to help those at risk relocate to a safe area, you've informed the RUC/PSNI they have it on record that an assault was carried out on yourself because you're (presumably Catholic) in a loyalist area. The NIO can order the PSNI/RUC to send a squad out as protection while you pack and relocate to a safe area. Don't worry about the landlord they haven't a pot to piss in. The housing executive can haul their ass through the court if they get sniffy.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Irelandsfinest I'm going to cut you a wee bit of slack as you're new here. If you feel you must bring religion, politics etc into every post here then this is not the forum for you. Stick to the topic please and we will all get on just fine.

Advertisement