If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI 5.1 Audio System for PS3

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello richersound people,

Having in mind great deal you offered me some time ago on stereo system I had no choice but to come back to you and ask for the same again.

I'm looking for 5.1 Audio System for my new PS3 mostly to watch movies in rather small room. I nearly went with computer speakers with digital audio connection like Logitech z906, but at the end I decided HDMI is the way to go.

On paper I really like SONY STRDH520 + Yamaha NSP40.

I'm considering other components like: Yamaha NSP285, HARMAN KARDON HKTS9, PIONEER VSX521, YAMAHA RXV371 but only if you convince me that they are better option for my setup (I mean PS3 and not a spacious room).

If possible I would love to get them before Christmas.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

Sorry for the extremely late reply.

The Pioneer 421 is now down to £149.95 and if you bought that with the Yamaha NSP40, I could do the 2 for £269.95 with delivery at £12.99.

This would be a much better buy than the Sony.

I hope this helps but let me know if we can assist any further.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kwazar

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I can't find any direct comparison of those two receivers. Could you explain how would Pioneer be a much better buy than Sony?

After some more reading:

Pioneer VSX-521 features (over VSX-421) automatic speaker calibration MCACC and Analogue On-Screen Display which is no use for me as I have no analogue port available in my screen.

Onkyo TX-SR309 has convenient Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI, which sounds like a nice-to-have.

STR-DH520 misses on-screen display but provides speakers calibration - DCAC.

It will be my first AV receiver and I don't know how important those feature might be. I'd imagine the sound quality is no different as they all are entry level receivers.
    I’d imagine speaker calibration is done once, if it takes me an hour instead of 15 minutes it’s not a problem. I might even enjoy it. On-screen display via HDMI though might come useful more often, and I know for fact I do change settings quite often on my audio setup.
    I'm leaning towards Onkyo now, but is it worth the premium over VSX-421? £50.00 for on-screen display only doesn't sound like a reasonable amount.
    I am a bit confused. Can you help?
    Cheers

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

The automatic calibration system is a nice thing to have, but I would only ever recommend using this as a means to setup the basics. This is things like, distance from the speakers, size of the speakers etc. I would always recommend setting up the receiver manually as the receiver does not know your tastes. You may prefer more volume from the centre channel to have more prominent vocals etc, so I personally don't see that this is a major benefit.

The advantage of the Pioneer over the Sony is that the Sony is very fussy about the speakers that are used. The Pioneer is more happier with more speakers whereas the Sony is a very bright receiver on the treble so we would only match it with certain speakers.

The Onkyo with the Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI is again another feature that would not purchase a receiver for. When I press the menu button on the receiver, I want to change options, not see the picture in the background.

In terms of order..the way that I would view it would be :

Pioneer is by far the best value.
    Sony is a close second best depending on the speakers
    ...and the Onkyo third.

I hope this helps, but any of the above are great value at the minute.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, it helped indeed.

Pioneer then with Yamaha NSP40, if they are a good match.

Does it comes with speaker cables? The room is 3m wide. 15m cable would be probably plenty, wouldn't it?

Can I save on delivery if I collect it from Phillips Shop?

I'm looking for tv rack as well. I need to fit my PC in it. PC dimensions are: 435x165x440 (W x H x D) in mm. Could you recommend anything? It seems like PIXEL PXAV3237 could be OK but I'm not sure how wide it is at the back and what is the hight of the bottom shelf.

Cheers
    kwazar

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Kwazar.

The Yamaha pack does not come with any cables.

Speaker cable starts at 99p per meter and would be more than suitable for this setup.
    You would also require a sublink cable for connecting the subwoofer.
    We do a 3m for £11.99 or a 7.5m for £19.95.

The PIXEL PXAV3237 is a really nice, well built rack. The distance between the bottom two shelves is 20cm in height and the distance between the back two poles is 41cm.

Unfortuntley even if the goods are collected at the Philips Shop we still have to charge the standard £12.99 shipping fee as we still have to ship the items to the Philips Shop. Sorry :( . Collecting at the Philips shop is used more by customers who would not be at home to recieve their delivery by normal courier.

Hello,

Looks like PIXEL PXAV3237 is a little bit to narrow. :( PC case is 43.5 cm wide and nearly as long as the rack. It's a pitty, I really liked it.

10m of speakers cable should do fine. I found some left overs from my prevoius order which I'm going to use for the front speakers. ;)

7.5m subwoofer cable will hopefully come free with the order with delivery to Dublin please. :)

Regards
    kwazar

Hi Kwazar.

I really can not throw in the Sublink cable for free as the reductions already in the amp are massive!!!

I can do the sublink at half price for £10.

Total including delivery would be £302.84

Make that £300 Dead :D

Pioneer VSX-521 + Yamaha NSP40 + 10m speaker cable + 7.5m sublink cable + delivery to Dublin for £300.

Sold!
    :)

• Advertisement

HI Kwazar.

Is it not the Pioneer VSX421???
    We have not stocked the VSX521 here in Blefast and there would be £50 difference between the VSX421 and the VSX521.

The £269.95 price originaly given by Dave was for the VSX421 and the Yamaha NSP40.
    There was no price mentioned for the VSX521 which is priced at £199.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx521/pion-vsx521-blk

My bad, wrong copy/paste. I meant 421.

Hi Kwazar.

You can give me a bell on 0044 333 900 0070 or drop me your contact number in a PM I'll give you a shout.

Thanks for the call Kenny.

If you come across any TV rack that would be just big enough to host my PC case [435x165x440 (W x H x D) in mm] give me a shout please.

Cheers
    kwazar

No problem at all. I'll keep my eye out on the rack front.

As soon as the order leaves tomrrow I'll drop you a PM with your tracking number.

:)

Thanks Kenny,
    I received the package yesterday. It's a surpasingly nice setup considering the price.

One thing to note is that Yamaha SN-P40 package includes 5m subwoofer cable and 25m speaker cable.

Till the next time!
    kwazar

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.