Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being threatened by O2

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I have recently recieved a letter from solicitors representing O2 because they say i owe them 178 euros. I signed up to a package where you they inform you when you are nearly over your monthly allowance. Anyway i never recieved any notification and recieved a sky high bill when tried to cancel. I refuse to pay this bill on principle.
    Anyway i recieve a letter from there solicitors with a copy of a request for me to be summonsed to court which they say they will hand to the corts if i dont pay them.
    Is this all just hot air and intimidation or would they really drag me to court for not paying.
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

smokey32 wrote: »
    I have recently recieved a letter from solicitors representing O2 because they say i owe them 178 euros. I signed up to a package where you they inform you when you are nearly over your monthly allowance. Anyway i never recieved any notification and recieved a sky high bill when tried to cancel. I refuse to pay this bill on principle.
    Anyway i recieve a letter from there solicitors with a copy of a request for me to be summonsed to court which they say they will hand to the corts if i dont pay them.
    Is this all just hot air and intimidation or would they really drag me to court for not paying.
    Thanks for reading.
    These solicitors are most likely just a debt collection agency masquerading as solicitors to give themselves some importance and to be more intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

I signed up to a package where you they inform you when you are nearly over your monthly allowance.

make sure to have a good read over the contract you signed to see if this is correct and that going over your limit without notification would exempt you from paying for the services that you used.

. I refuse to pay this bill on principle.

not a very good defense to a judge, contract law isn't based on your principles, it's based on the actual law !!!

you'd be better refusing to pay based on O2 not performing to what they should have done in their contract .. if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

my guess is that bill is because you terminated your contract early

this thread may be best in the o2 forum ? they might help you their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭smokey32

whippet wrote: »
    make sure to have a good read over the contract you signed to see if this is correct and that going over your limit without notification would exempt you from paying for the services that you used.

not a very good defense to a judge, contract law isn't based on your principles, it's based on the actual law !!!

you'd be better refusing to pay based on O2 not performing to what they should have done in their contract .. if that is the case.
    The thing is i never actually signed anything. I was on prepay and got a call out of the blue from a guy from O2 telling me about a new bill pay package and because it sounded good i agreed to it. Never signed anything. I was just wondering do these things actually go to court over a matter of 180 odd euros or is it just scare tactics. To be honest they have me a bit worried because i read in todays Herald about people going to prison over unpaid fines.
    Thanks for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The thing is i never actually signed anything. I was on prepay and got a call out of the blue from a guy from O2 telling me about a new bill pay package and because it sounded good i agreed to it. Never signed anything. I was just wondering do these things actually go to court over a matter of 180 odd euros or is it just scare tactics. To be honest they have me a bit worried because i read in todays Herald about people going to prison over unpaid fines.

It does not matter that you did not sign anything, I assume you agreed verbally on the phone, and remember they recorded the phone call...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It does not matter that you did not sign anything, I assume you agreed verbally on the phone, and remember they recorded the phone call...
    Ask o2 to provide a recording of the call where you agreed to the contract, they must provide this when requested and without this you owe them nothing as no contract exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - do you want this moved to the Talk to O2 forum?

Let me know and I'll move it.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Thanks for reading.
    These solicitors are most likely just a debt collection agency masquerading as solicitors to give themselves some importance and to be more intimidating.
    Er... The OP owes the money and refused to pay it. In these instances the debt gets passed to an agency which pays the company and then the agency looks for the money. Talk all you like about them being nasty mean bullies but they're not carrying out this action for no reason.
    This forum is just choc-a-bloc with "Even though I owe money for a service I use, I don't want to pay it but I'll get stroppy when I'm taken to task for this".
    Vast majority of cases - the customer is in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If the OP was not properly informed that they were entering a contract or sent the T&C's (usually sent by O2 following such a call) then the OP has a right to query this.

As Foggy said get O2 to supply a recording of the call where you agreed to the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

I know from experience that this call will have to requested in writting, best to get onto O2 ask them for the call recording and get an email address of the manager to send it to, in the email stipulate that you would like it back within 2 working days so you are seem to be fair this way if there is anything that can be done to get rid of this it will be, O2 wont want the hassle of this but their debt collection agency will make a loss if you dont pay. If they referred you to the website for T+Cs you have no standing and i woudl suggest you agree a monthly payment with O2 to get it resolved, they are usually fairly happy to do something like this

• Advertisement
Advertisement