Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting Allowance

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Not sure if Im posting in the right place but Im a PS worker and recently took on an Acting position/promotion.
    After a couple of months in the position Ive been told that under Croke Park Im now not entitled to an acting allowance but must keep the position to which Ive been appointed.
    This seems grossly unfair to me as I now have alot more responsibility for apparently no reward.
    Before I make contact with my union I would like to know where I stand.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

As far as I know you are entitled to the acting up allowance after being in the position for four weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

From what I've heard, acting allowances have been withdrawn for most PS jobs - know a few people who have been hit with this in local authorities and lost out, even after being in the job for more than a year.
    However, AFAIK, you don't have to stay in the higher job - you can resign out of acting and go back to a lower grade. Check with your union anyway just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

No more acting up allowances. I was doing the work of a higher grade (as well as my own work) for 8 months last year but got no extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

gazzer wrote: »
    No more acting up allowances. I was doing the work of a higher grade (as well as my own work) for 8 months last year but got no extra money.
    Did your union have any input Gazzer?

Did your union have any input Gazzer?
    Probably depends on whether you are a civil servant or public servant.
    I am a civil servant and I know of people in receipt of acting up allowances.:)

• Advertisement

mrsbouquet wrote: »
    Probably depends on whether you are a civil servant or public servant.
    I am a civil servant and I know of people in receipt of acting up allowances.:)

I am a civil servant too. There was no budging on the issue with HR etc. It was a case of just getting on with it. Plenty of people in the same situation in this and other departments. Acting up allowances havnt been paid here in years.

gazzer wrote: »
    I am a civil servant too. There was no budging on the issue with HR etc. It was a case of just getting on with it. Plenty of people in the same situation in this and other departments. Acting up allowances havnt been paid here in years.

God its amazing the difference between one department and another.I was in an upgraded position for 18 months up to november 2010 and was paid an acting up allowance and the co that replaced me was also paid an acting up allowance. I transferred to another department in november 2010. But I know there is a co receiving an acting up allowance in my previous department still.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Not sure if Im posting in the right place but Im a PS worker and recently took on an Acting position/promotion.
    After a couple of months in the position Ive been told that under Croke Park Im now not entitled to an acting allowance but must keep the position to which Ive been appointed.
    This seems grossly unfair to me as I now have alot more responsibility for apparently no reward.
    Before I make contact with my union I would like to know where I stand.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Hi senorwipesalot,

Check with your personnel department regarding a Department Circular from September 2010 regarding the payment of Acting allowances. I know of at least one Local Authority that has had to pay back money to an employee that had been acting but not paid the allowance.

Good Luck

DC

This article is a year old but it mentions acting up allowances not being paid anymore.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lowerrank-civil-servants-must-take-on-new-duties-2511019.html

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Don't know what grade you are but this is the CPSU perspective.

http://www.cpsu.ie/Images/ListBuilder/Documents/Aontas_Dec_Web.pdf

Also there is no instruction / circular from Finance. As far as I'm aware if you're acting up you should be paid.

Having said that I know that some departments will not sanction an acting up allowance and the norm is for the work to be distributed among equivalent grade or for a higher grade to take on that role.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 farmerhse

anyone know can someone be offered a lower grade position and still hold higher pay ?

Advertisement