Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Infraction in Soccer

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i've just received, IMO, an unfair infraction in the Soccer forum.

My post was..

Nice piece in The Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...match-ban.html

and is linked here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76104293#post76104293

I was NOT trolling anyone, I read The Sun every day, both online and in print, and i honestly find it a good read, the story i was linking to was a nice piece, it had links to Suarez's twitter (sorry, what he said on twitter) and a good picture of the incident, which, IMO makes it a nice and relevant piece.

It also had the whole story, as a lot of people just joining the thread will have had to go through pages and pages of tit for tat arguing to find the story, it really is going round in circles.

I received the following reply from the mod (slickric) who issued the warning

you can go to Dispute Resolution if you want.

you've linked The Sun before on Liverpool pages and it's been let slide, but in a heated debate like the Racism Thread, there was no need to put a link to that newspaper.

you will know the way Liverpool fans rightly feel about the paper.

you were careless at best, trolling at worst, but i won't be reversing it. if the CMods in Dispute Resolution feel differently so be it.

you could have linked anywhere else and not had a reaction, and you know that. as it says in the charter, you have to cater to where you're posting.

thanks,
    Slick

Some responses to those accusations

you've linked The Sun before on Liverpool pages and it's been let slide, but in a heated debate like the Racism Thread, there was no need to put a link to that newspaper.

I have linked The Sun only once or twice, no more, as i read the paper all the time and am familiar with it, i'm hardly going to go looking for links to other papers when i have one at hand. The debate was going round in circles, i was looking for the statement from LFC on the ban (not my ban of course ;)) and had to go back over 10 pages as posters were just arguing and getting knowhere. This link had the main story in it, and by posting it i hoped to help other boardsies who didn't want to scroll through pages and pages of crap.

EDIT : I have just done a comprehensive search and i have only linked The Sun ONCE before!!! Hardly consistent or going out of my way to annoy people!!

you will know the way Liverpool fans rightly feel about the paper.

I do know that some Liverpool fans don't like the paper, but the way this mod has this worded, "that the Liverpool fans RIGHTLY feel this way", makes it out that they have been found guilty of some heinous offence, which they haven't, and that the mod in question supports the Liverpool fans in this case, making my ban slightly unfair and, what's the word.....discriminatory???

Hoping you see fit to reverse this very harsh Infraction

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

Lets clear one thing up first,you got a Infraction and no ban.So there is no ban to overturn.I am not going to get into the rights and wrongs on what the Sun did,the simple fact of the matter is a good chunk of LFC fans have no time for that paper (and thats putting it mildly).

You yourself have said you are aware of this.As Slick said you have posted links from the Sun a few times in the past and it was let slide,the soccer mods are very clued in on when its about to kick off and this time your post from the Sun was deemed on the edge and not helping at all.Your post was reported and not by a LFC fan so even fans of other clubs could see it was out of line.

So the mod looked at the post and rightly IMO gave you an Infraction,an Infraction is just a nudge to say you have crossed a line and to cool it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Lets clear one thing up first,you got a Infraction and no ban.So there is no ban to overturn.I am not going to get into the rights and wrongs on what the Sun did,the simple fact of the matter is a good chunk of LFC fans have no time for that paper (and thats putting it mildly).

You yourself have said you are aware of this.As Slick said you have posted links from the Sun a few times in the past and it was let slide,the soccer mods are very clued in on when its about to kick off and this time your post from the Sun was deemed on the edge and not helping at all.Your post was reported and not by a LFC fan so even fans of other clubs could see it was out of line.

So the mod looked at the post and rightly IMO gave you an Infraction,an Infraction is just a nudge to say you have crossed a line and to cool it down a bit.

Ban, Infraction, whatever it is i feel like i have been dealt with Harshly and would like it removed.

I also am not getting into any right or wrongs The Sun did, just because a good chunk (your words not mine) of Liverpool fans have no time for the paper does that mean everybody who posts a link to it on Boards or The Soccer Forum will receive an Infraction??

Wrong, i have not said that i am aware that a good chunk of LFC fans have an issue, i said i was aware of some who had a problem with the paper, again, totally different.

I have posted links a few times from The Sun??? I have checked and before this one i have only posted One link to The Sun in all my posts in the Soccer Forum. Please ask your mod to get his facts straight before he accuses me of things.

My post, as you say, was 'On the edge', that's not over the edge or over the top, just on the edge, no worse than a lot of other posts have been in that thread, yet i seem to be the only one with the Yellow Card.

Please can it be rescinded?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ban, Infraction, whatever it is i feel like i have been dealt with Harshly and would like it removed.

I am just setting the record straight,there is in fact as I pointed out a big difference between a ban and a soccer forum yellow card/Infraction.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    I also am not getting into any right or wrongs The Sun did, just because a good chunk (your words not mine) of Liverpool fans have no time for the paper does that mean everybody who posts a link to it on Boards or The Soccer Forum will receive an Infraction??

Nobody said that anybody posting a link to the sun will have action taken against them.Its all about context,sure as you pointed out you posted about it before with no action taken.The point is this time you were posting a link from that paper for at least the second time and this time on a very heated thread.The mod made a call,issue a yellow card here and hopefully you will get the message.

This is taken from the socce forum charter and delas with it very well.
    TROLLING: Posting provocative or controversial opinions with the intention of winding up other posters will not be tolerated. The moderators reserve the right to make a judgement call on a poster's intent, and issue warnings/infractions/bans as necessary. For more detail on mod policy on trolling

And
    The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for trolling as necessary.

As I said even non Liverpool fans reported your post so its not just the mods that think your were trolling.

As is my right i would like this to be looked at by Admins

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I looked at your posts for the past year in Soccer ... to see if there is an obvious history of trolling with links to the newspaper in question.

In all conscience, I don't see obvious trolling, but there is enough in the posts I read to make me look twice at the tone & content where The Sun is mentioned.

I think the mod called it right "careless at best, trolling at worst".

So ... a ban would have been harsh, and a red card would have arguably been harsh ... I think a yellow card is verging towards harsh but fair considering the context of the thread, & the nature of the Soccer forum.

Right now, I'm seeing no reason to rescind the infraction.

• Advertisement

trout wrote: »
    I looked at your posts for the past year in Soccer ... to see if there is an obvious history of trolling with links to the newspaper in question.

In all conscience, I don't see obvious trolling, but there is enough in the posts I read to make me look twice at the tone & content where The Sun is mentioned.

I think the mod called it right "careless at best, trolling at worst".

So ... a ban would have been harsh, and a red card would have arguably been harsh ... I think a yellow card is verging towards harsh but fair considering the context of the thread, & the nature of the Soccer forum.

Right now, I'm seeing no reason to rescind the infraction.

Thanks for the promt reply trout, much appreciated

I do apologise if anybody took offence at me linking a post with the full story to The Sun and it wasn't my intention to piss anybody off.

That thread though was a bit of a nightmare and to actually find the full story of the ban, amongst the constant pages of tit for tat arguing was quite difficult. I posted that so people could actually find what had happened easily, my only crime i feel was the source.

I'm asking one last time if my infraction could be removed, and in future i will be very careful about linking pages to The Sun in threads involving LFC.

I'm hoping that you take my previous posts in all areas into account and see that i am neither a Troll or a troublemaker, add the fact that you even say yourself that the infraction is verging on harsh, how about giving me the benefit of the doubt this once?

Thanks for your time and whatever the outcome now i'll be leaving it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I did read your previous posts, including those referencing The Sun. You have been given the benefit of the doubt, which is why we're debating a yellow and not a red card.

Yes, it's verging on harsh ... all things considered and in the context of the thread & forum ... I do think it's fair.

It's a yellow, a warning. That's all. Once it expires it will only be visible to you & mods.

I hate soccer (I'm a Leeds fan) ... yet even I know the reaction that many Liverpool fans will have when The Sun is referenced, no matter how innocent it may appear ... it's a red rag to a bull and no good can come of it.

Advertisement