Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford City

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

more and more people these days calling and referring to wexford as a city. some signage even referring to it .... discuss....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

more and more people these days calling and referring to wexford as a city. some signage even referring to it .... discuss....:D

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Sorry but no. Wheres the signage?

Wexford doesnt have the attitudes of a city, Main street is still dying and theres no public transport infrastructure to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

:D I dont think I would ever refer to Wexford as a City and I think anyone who does has surely never been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Never heard it, never seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Are you sure its city with a C and not an SH? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Are you sure its city with a C and not an SH? :pac:

Sacrilege! *takes off glove and slaps in face* Pistols at dawn it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

Signage? whereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

It could be that previously Clonmel, Drogheda, Kilkenny, Sligo and Wexford were referred to as the five Municipal Cities. http://census.cso.ie/censusasp/saps/boundaries/city-towns_bound.htm

However afaik since LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT, 2001 they were redesignated as Town (or Borough) councils.

Got any pictures of signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Medieval City perhaps :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

OP is feeling left out by other cities and wants Wexford to be considered one. ridiculous thread with a ridiculous concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

I know some Lithuanians that refer to Wexford as a city, but considering their reference point that's hardly encouraging. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That's a bit of a joke alright. Waterford shouldn't be called a city either though. You'd be shot in Waterford if you say that though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

They are? Where is this signage?

In saying that I once heard Sligo referred to as a city on the news, this was after 2001 so that rules out the municipal city thing...

Seriously though, no, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have never once heard Wexford referred to as a city, town and even village on a couple of occasions though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lola92 wrote: »
    I have never once heard Wexford referred to as a city, town and even village on a couple of occasions though!

Medieval City:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

vicwatson wrote: »

By extension that would mean that Ferns is also a city (The Viking City)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

vicwatson wrote: »

Sorry, should I have said in modern times? :rolleyes:

Advertisement