Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrongly advertised tv

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I recently bought a new tv - Walker 37inch full hd - or so it seemed. On the box of the tv it says 'FULL HD', now to me full hd means 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) when I set up the tv I realised its resolution was only 720p. On the walker website they have the tv advertised as hd ready, ie. 720p. What I am wondering is if I brought the tv back to the shop will they give me a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Neodymium wrote: »
    I recently bought a new tv - Walker 37inch full hd - or so it seemed. On the box of the tv it says 'FULL HD', now to me full hd means 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) when I set up the tv I realised its resolution was only 720p. On the walker website they have the tv advertised as hd ready, ie. 720p. What I am wondering is if I brought the tv back to the shop will they give me a refund?
    What are you connecting to the tv,most ud inputs will giv u only720p anyways,part from bluray

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The question here is what does "Full HD" mean? Is there a standard definition?

Was there any other verbage on the box to indicate if it was 720p or 1080p?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

A definition I found online, not sure if there is a standard, accepted, definition. But this one seems to back you up:
    Full HDTV, also referred to as ultra-HD, true HDTV, and 1080p, is a television (TV) display technology that surpasses the video quality and sharpness of the original high-definition television ( HDTV ) technology, providing an image resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels.
    I would bring the TV back. You were led to believe one thing when you were purchasing and then found out it was different to what was advertised after purchase. It does depend on what you mean by 'recently' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Judging by what you're saying, the box has Full HD, which implies 1080p.

Therefore, the product is not as advertised. You should be entitled to a refund, replacement or repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dudara wrote: »
    Judging by what you're saying, the box has Full HD, which implies 1080p.

Therefore, the product is not as advertised. You should be entitled to a refund, replacement or repair.

+1 on this advice, full HD is 1080p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you photograph and post the box it came in for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You were hardly shown the box when you were buying it,what did the salesman say to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

If it says Full HD on the box and your unhappy with the set then bring it back.

IMO you'll notice very little difference between 720 and 1080 on that size of a TV though.

But Walker do use the HD Ready and Full HD Labels on their products, e.g. here:
    http://www.walker.ie/products/WP3710FHD.html

That one is 1080p with the 'Full HD' logo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

On tv's below 50" virtually impossible to tell the difference as stated in this article from a very reputable source (though false advertising on box is another issue of course):

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

Pertinent paragraph:

"We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. In our tests, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray player. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV."

Advertisement