Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep footbath.

• 21-12-2011 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

So what do ye use in a sheep footbath. Traditionally we've used bluestone which I now have read is not recommended. The alternative formalin is not very safe to work with and zinc takes quite a while to penetrate the hoof. Alright if you have either a small flock or a huge footbath as leaving the sheep in there for an hour will prove very difficult for the average shepherd. Although the price of zinc in comparison to bluestone is quite favourable at the moment.

Also can anyone recommend a good antiseptic spray apart from "purple spray"? Thanks again!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

i use bluestone and it works well....purple spray is a waste a time and money buy a alamicin spray off the vet bout 10 euro a bottle but well worth it let the sheep stand on dry concrete for hour after spraying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭jfh

we use bluestone too but i think the foot would want to be well paired and cleaned before. golden hoof is meant to be good never used it ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Used to use bluestone, but I found the sheep needed to be run through it a lot? A quick run didnt seem to work very well... :confused:

Got formalin for the first time this year, and I think it works well.

Now - my facilites are not great to be honest - the footbath is outside, but I think its prob better when yer using formalin.
    But this prob also means that bluestone isnt great, as the sheep dont have enough time to stand in it...

But - my problem now is not standard / old-style footrot or scald, its CODD. That thing where it kinda breaks out at the top of the hoof...

Anyone any ideas on what preventative measures can be taken for this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

Not good news as regards CODD I'm afraid. Very little is known about this disease apart from the fact that it is extremely painful for the animal and difficult to treat. It has the ability to spread very quickly. Are your sheep housed? as this seems to exacerbate the problem. Antibiotics are whats needed preferably by injection although some use the footbath type (expensive). I would cull ruthlessly to protect the remainder of the flock. Did you buy in sheep maybe that's the source of the problem.

Incidentally, Formalin is not recommended as a footbath treatment for animals affected by CODD as it causes so much pain. It might be worth testing zinc sulphate if it's a new outbreak but be prepared to leave the animals in there for 30-60 minutes. Otherwise it's a task for the vet, more money!!

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

foxylock wrote: »
    Not good news as regards CODD I'm afraid. Very little is known about this disease apart from the fact that it is extremely painful for the animal and difficult to treat. It has the ability to spread very quickly. Are your sheep housed? as this seems to exacerbate the problem. Antibiotics are whats needed preferably by injection although some use the footbath type (expensive). I would cull ruthlessly to protect the remainder of the flock. Did you buy in sheep maybe that's the source of the problem.

Incidentally, Formalin is not recommended as a footbath treatment for animals affected by CODD as it causes so much pain. It might be worth testing zinc sulphate if it's a new outbreak but be prepared to leave the animals in there for 30-60 minutes. Otherwise it's a task for the vet, more money!!

Best of luck with it.

Yeah - bought in sheep were the source I'd say all right.

My sheep are out most of the time, but the ones I found with CODD, I bring in. More cos its easier to treat em for a few days in the shed.

Its a bit hit & miss, sometimes treating em for a few days in a row will do a lot, sometimes it doesnt seem to do anything... I guess it depends when you catch it.

Re running the ones with CODD through the footbath, they are usually kept in - thats if they are showing signs of lameness, altho they usally are if they have CODD. Otherwise they get run through.

Sickening, cos I felt I only just got on top of footrot this year, only to have the usual "few lame" with something else... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

use formalin here, i think is the only way of doing some cure just walking through...standing in the bath for 30 min might be ok for people with good facilities but walking through is my only option..make sure they stand in concrete for 1 hour or so after...

Yeah - bought in sheep were the source I'd say all right.

This seems to be a very common source of CODD. Tis enough to have our own flock problems and then we go and buy some other lads bother as well!!

Sickening, cos I felt I only just got on top of footrot this year, only to have the usual "few lame" with something else... :mad:

I know the feeling, seems like a backward step but keep at it and it will pay off. I must go to war against footrot this year things got on top of the uncle the last few years before he died and footrot started to get a bit of a hold.

eorna wrote: »
    use formalin here, i think is the only way of doing some cure just walking through...standing in the bath for 30 min might be ok for people with good facilities but walking through is my only option..make sure they stand in concrete for 1 hour or so after...

I'm in the process of constructing a hard standing area in the pens just for that purpose as turning them onto grass immediately afterwards negates all your good work.

Advertisement