Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: PS Vita... Is it trolling if...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm just checked YouTube and it looks like psp games work very well. In some games you can activate second analog stick to control camera!!!

Looks like I am changing my mind :D

I missed on alot of good psp games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hmmm just checked YouTube and it looks like psp games work very well. In some games you can activate second analog stick to control camera!!!

Looks like I am changing my mind :D

I missed on alot of good psp games :(

You can do that in every psp game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm just going to copy & paste my reactions from two other threads here. Frankly, it is devoid of a unique selling point. As of right now, there's nothing there except potentially Gravity Rush (whose demo barely gives you enough time to even adjust to the controls before it ends). The PSP burst into life when various Japanese developers took to it, and created countless gems, from Ys to Jeanne D'Arc. That's really what Vita needs before I'd consider purchasing. Copy & paste a-go-go.

It's a very pretty piece of hardware, and feels nice and light yet sturdy too. But it really doesn't feel like a giant leap for handheld gaming. Compare the PSP to Vita to the DS to 3DS hardware jump and the latter emerges as the clear winner as a more significant upgrade. The screen on the PSV is very nice, no doubt, but almost felt perfunctory.

I think it was probably down to the games, in fairness. Uncharted really felt like a low-grade version of its' bigger brothers. Little Deviants I lasted about two minutes before having to turn it off in frustration at the rear touchpad controls. Escape Plan looked nice but felt like a slightly poorer version of Machinarium. Gravity Crash has a lot of potential - it at least has novel central mechanics, an offbeat graphical presentation - but the demo was criminally short! Reality Fighters is basically a five minute gimmick. Super Stardust was Super Stardust! Indeed, the games that emerged favourably were the duo of Modnation Racers and Wipeout 2048, the latter particularly with some excellent graphical flourishes and sound design. But the feeling even there is that it's nothing that home consoles can't do more effectively.

TBH, it persuaded me to hold out a little longer until either more interesting software emerges or there's a price drop. Didn't see anything today to truly justify the leap, even though the hardware seems to be able to handle some things - like augmented reality and camera - better than the 3DS.

Basically, if I was offered one I'd be delighted, but wouldn't be all that pushed to spend 250 euro on one!

Oh, and yes: the loading times are ridiculously poor. I'd say a race in Wipeout takes the guts of a minute to load!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It's a very pretty piece of hardware, and feels nice and light yet sturdy too. But it really doesn't feel like a giant leap for handheld gaming. Compare the PSP to Vita to the DS to 3DS hardware jump and the latter emerges as the clear winner as a more significant upgrade. The screen on the PSV is very nice, no doubt, but almost felt perfunctory.
    Personally I think the 3ds is a badly designed bit of hardware. I love my DS, but the 3ds has no appeal. I don't care about 3d. I hated in on mario cart when i played it. I feel the Vita upgrades may actually improve the gaming experience from the PSP, however I woudln't say the same for the 3ds. I haven't seen a Vita yet so I can't comment on the screen, though I have played the 3ds extensively and really I don't see why I would want one over my DS.

sarumite wrote: »
    Personally I think the 3ds is a badly designed bit of hardware. I love my DS, but the 3ds has no appeal. I don't care about 3d. I hated in on mario cart when i played it. I feel the Vita upgrades may actually improve the gaming experience from the PSP, however I woudln't say the same for the 3ds. I haven't seen a Vita yet so I can't comment on the screen, though I have played the 3ds extensively and really I don't see why I would want one over my DS.

i got 3ds m8, and i played with vita.

VITA screen will make you jizz in your pants m8. Its just that good. i love my 3ds, but 3Ds looks like a toy you buy from argos to your kids for 12.99eu compared to VITA.
    funny enough i got 6 DS games and 1 3DS game. i barely play zelda as i dont find it fun ( waiting for fanboy army ), i have more fun with castlevania and advanced war games etc. i am not pushed to buy 45eu mario games too...

+1 on 3D thing. if i am not mistaken that 3D effect is pulling alot of its performance. So if you dont care about 3D, then you get worse looking game :(. i would really love to see games on 3DS, but done purely on 2D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 3DS is far from perfect. The Circle Pad Pro as a hardware 'patch' is proof of that. The main OS is oddly designed too (as it is on Vita, I should add).

Still, having only got a 3DS recently, and only really played Mario 3D Land, it is a huge step up from my DS. I say that without reservation. Sure, the software catalogue isn't very strong yet - but there was a nice flow of games just before Christmas, with more promising games - including the supposedly old-school Kid Icarus - on the way. The console itself feels sturdy. And while I'll be the first to take issue with 3D (I despise it in cinema) the use of it in 3D Land at the very least is very thoughtfully considered and dare I say ultimately beneficial to the experience. And you can always just turn it off on the games where it proves distracting.

The Vita is nice hardware, no doubt. But it really, really feels like a baby step forward. There's no shock or surprise - IMO - with using the new hardware. Even the supposedly gorgeous screen felt like a minor upgrade from the widescreen purtiness of the PSP. Uncharted is representative of its problems - trying to (poorly) emulate the big screen experience without really considering the portability factor. It just feels like a slightly upgraded PSP, whereas to me anyway the 3DS feels like a fully realised upgrade comparatively. It would have been nice if said upgrade had included dual thumbsticks like the PSV, but hey...

Both are going to stand or fall on the strength of their software, mind, and early adapters of the 3DS have only recently felt their investment to be worthwhile. The PS Vita has the potential for greatness when the greats get behind it. As is, it just feels nice but entirely unnecessary. Portable consoles are a dinosaur, and the Vita needs more than a nice enough screen to stand out in a world where the App is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I have a friend who's a total PS nut. He bought a PSP at launch and as his gf at the time said, hardly ever played the damned thing. The other day I asked him, "So, you getting a PS Vita?" His response? "Definitely." And it'll probably be another dust-gatherer.

It seems to me that Sony still haven't learned that horsepower and stylish-design aren't the key things consumers look for in a portable console - unless they happen to be Sony fanboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Oh, and yes: the loading times are ridiculously poor. I'd say a race in Wipeout takes the guts of a minute to load!

there's an update that addresses that somewhat. not entirely, but it goes some way towards it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    More likely, it's also written by Jim Sterling so it's bond to be wrong.

Maybe he doesn't like reading either?

Kinski wrote: »
    I have a friend who's a total PS nut. He bought a PSP at launch and as his gf at the time said, hardly ever played the damned thing. The other day I asked him, "So, you getting a PS Vita?" His response? "Definitely." And it'll probably be another dust-gatherer.

It seems to me that Sony still haven't learned that horsepower and stylish-design aren't the key things consumers look for in a portable console - unless they happen to be Sony fanboys.

That depends on your friends gaming. The PSP was kind of abandoned by western developers. Outside of GOW, I can't really think of many good games that came out for the PSP after launch. Personally I probably won't by a vita initially as I used my PSP/DS while travelling to and from work and now I am walking distance to my work its gets less play. I feel that the Vita could be a good alternative to a ipad for those that want a good gaming platfrom that can kind of do browsing etc as opposed an ipad which does browsing etc and kind of does gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The PSP was destroyed by the dominance of the DS, and piracy. There's loads of good games on it, just that it went significantly under the radar.

cloud493 wrote: »
    The PSP was destroyed by the dominance of the DS, and piracy. There's loads of good games on it, just that it went significantly under the radar.

For me the great games on the PSP came from Japan. Persona, Y's and valkeryia profiles 2 were highlights. However I don't think Japanese games are for everyone. As such, people who are into their 1st/3rd person shooters etc may have bought the PSP at launch and then found that it sat gathering dust if JRPG's didn't appeal to them

On edit: For shame I forgot to mention tactics ogre: let us all cling together. Many a Dart journey spent playing that.

DS was the same - it was a predominantly Japanese console despite a few Western gems.

It looks like both Sony and Nintendo are poaching a wide audience this time around. If the smaller developers latch on too, however, to create niche games on cheaper portable formats, it should all be good.

At least the Vita is region free ;)

cloud493 wrote: »

It wasn't really "destroyed" though. According to Sony, they'd sold 53 million of them by the end of 2010 (aided by Monster Hunter in Japan). That's no flop.

PS Vita sales, on the other hand, have steadily declined since launch, reaching a low of 14,000 units last week.

Early days and all that, but those aren't encouraging figures.

It wasn't really "destroyed" though. According to Sony, they'd sold 53 million of them by the end of 2010 (aided by Monster Hunter in Japan). That's no flop.

PS Vita sales, on the other hand, have steadily declined since launch, reaching a low of 14,000 units last week.

Early days and all that, but those aren't encouraging figures.

the psp, in the last few years, saw 0.5% of owners buying the biggest games available on the system, mainly due to piracy according to playstation. that's an absolutely hideous number, given that in the earlier days it was 15-25%, depending on the title.

the hardware wasn't a flop, but from a software dev point of view, it definitely was.

im never quite sure why people obsess about japanese sales figures to be honest, it's not that big a territory in terms of numbers. it's absolutely dwarfed by europe and the states in sales for the most part, and now its a country still suffering the economic backlash of the tsunami last year

it's simply not that important a market - ask microsoft

Are there any major Vita titles to look forward to? Persona 4: The Golden, maybe, but that's just a port. I did hear something about a Ys title, if I recall correctly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Helix wrote: »
    the psp, in the last few years, saw 0.5% of owners buying the biggest games available on the system, mainly due to piracy according to playstation.

Easy to blame piracy, but I'd argue piracy is more predominant on the DS. Those flash cards with 100+ games on them are being sold all over the place.

Helix wrote: »
    the psp, in the last few years, saw 0.5% of owners buying the biggest games available on the system, mainly due to piracy according to playstation. that's an absolutely hideous number, given that in the earlier days it was 15-25%, depending on the title.

the hardware wasn't a flop, but from a software dev point of view, it definitely was.

I knew piracy was a problem, but I didn't think it was that bad! But they still manufacture and sell the console, so it's not been a complete disaster as a format.
    im never quite sure why people obsess about japanese sales figures to be honest, it's not that big a territory in terms of numbers. it's absolutely dwarfed by europe and the states in sales for the most part, and now its a country still suffering the economic backlash of the tsunami last year

I'm not obsessing over them - they're really the only numbers we have so far! And, tbf, two of the three big console makers are Japanese.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Easy to blame piracy, but I'd argue piracy is more predominant on the DS. Those flash cards with 100+ games on them are being sold all over the place.

ds game sales are probably lower than those on the psp tbh

there are quite a few countries where there are more ds consoles than ds games sold

I'm not obsessing over them - they're really the only numbers we have so far! And, tbf, two of the three big console makers are Japanese.

doesnt matter if they're japanese or not really, their main markets are outside japan nowadays, yet there's always this thing about japanese sales numbers being indicative of success. they're not. they're largely irrelevant (populations of just over 1.04 billion in europe and the states compared to 127 million in japan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So lads any heads up on good deals? Im pre-ordered on amazon but with the current conversion rate it's not really much of a saving!!

Im not mad about any of the launch titles, will prob pick up uncharted when the price drops so for now I just want the console and preferably a 16 gig memory card. Can't find any bundles that suit this though, will probably have to stick with the amazon order...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Big Knox wrote: »
    So lads any heads up on good deals? Im pre-ordered on amazon but with the current conversion rate it's not really much of a saving!!

Im not mad about any of the launch titles, will prob pick up uncharted when the price drops so for now I just want the console and preferably a 16 gig memory card. Can't find any bundles that suit this though, will probably have to stick with the amazon order...
    If you have a console or handheld to trade-in HMV are giving good value on them. I'm going to trade in my psp go and get the wifi model for €160

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Went to the Vaults (shipping container!) demo near stephens green earlier today and stayed playing games for 70 mins.

I tried the following:

Super Stardust Delta
    Virtua Tennis 4
    Fifa
    Ridge Racer
    Frobisher says
    Uncharted Golden Abyss
    Gravity Rush
    Wipeout 2048

That's all I can think of right now.
    My favourites were Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush and Fifa.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ShaneU wrote: »
    If you have a console or handheld to trade-in HMV are giving good value on them. I'm going to trade in my psp go and get the wifi model for €160

At the very least then, I'll be able to pick up a cheap, preowned PSP Go!
    Awesome, been wanting one of those for emulators for ages.

Called a friend in GameStop. He will put away ps vita for me....

What can I say... I am weak... Will get uncharted and psn store credit. Will go mad on psp games for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I see Gravity Rush is going to be PSN only for eu? Any ideas on the release date? Can't find anything concrete for an eu date!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    At the very least then, I'll be able to pick up a cheap, preowned PSP Go!
    Awesome, been wanting one of those for emulators for ages.

Has the PSPGO been hacked?

Called a friend in GameStop. He will put away ps vita for me....

What can I say... I am weak... Will get uncharted and psn store credit. Will go mad on psp games for now!

Lols, I remember thinking the same when I bought my PS3. A friend of mine had one and I played it once. I really couldn't afford to buy one and I had kinda fallen out of love with gaming (I think I had OD'ed on Civ and Guild Wars). I was bored at work and just decided to look at the price of PS3's on Ebay....10 minutes later I had clicked the "buy it now" and was being whizzed away to my paypal account. Weak Weak Weak!!! :pac:

Lols, I remember thinking the same when I bought my PS3. A friend of mine had one and I played it once. I really couldn't afford to buy one and I had kinda fallen out of love with gaming (I think I had OD'ed on Civ and Guild Wars). I was bored at work and just decided to look at the price of PS3's on Ebay....10 minutes later I had clicked the "buy it now" and was being whizzed away to my paypal account. Weak Weak Weak!!! :pac:

Haha! It's like: must ressist! I don't need it! It's an extra waste of money! Stop filling in the details! Don't enter that credit card number! FFs look what have you'd one now... If she will find out its no gigidi for a month!

Damn, I felt in to the trap myself... Called fella and asked to put it away now... No going back! I spend sooo much time on my iPhone web browser. I will be doing it on vita now too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

noodler wrote: »
    Has the PSPGO been hacked?
    Yep, courtesy of the PS3 hack people were able to find a way to sign PSP .eboot files so that would run under OFW. You still need to run a homebrew loader every time you reset your PSP but it means that I have my UMD games on my PSPgo.

Advertisement