Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not a language.

-.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Greentopia wrote: »

I don't see how working in a job you hate can ever be said to be good for a persons mental health (it certainly wasn't for me), especially if there is little future prospect of finding or creating a better one. The experience might toughen some people up, but it can break others.

It may make you and others like you more determined to find better work but some people are trapped in jobs they can't leave because of family commitments-being the breadwinner in the family with responsibilities to shoulder-a mortgage and huge bills to pay etc., also fear of being unemployed and never finding alternative employment,-especially in the current climate, because it may be a sh1tty job but it's secure and pensionable employment, and many other reasons why people stay in jobs they hate; but I agree it would doubtlessly make one appreciate finding work that is more personally and professionally fulfilling when contrasting it to a job you hate, yes.

But, in order to reach that point you have to know or at least have a reasonable expectation that there is light at the end of the tunnel when you're in that crappy job and you know you won't have to be there forever.

Edit-forgot to add-congrats on your new job! glad it's something you enjoy doing and it's better than what you previously had :)

Cheers dude and you've made some very good points there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

bryaner wrote: »
    Cheers dude and you've made some very good points there..

Thank's bryaner and yer welcome, but that would be dude-ess ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Greentopia wrote: »
    Thank's bryaner and yer welcome, but that would be dude-ess ;)

Ha ha no bother dude-ess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Day 10 of unemployment-

got a job working in my uncles bar, there was a mix up in the job specs though so i quit in the first 5 minutes. My mother was so pis@ed she cancelled my internet for a week. So i was forced to hand out CVs by foot. Tough day not many companies except actual CVs for upper management positions that they wanted them emailed and when tried to explain that my mother cancelled it they wouldn't listen, after being turned down twice i counted my losses with a few punts on the horses and a few pints. I've just joined the rat race to the bottom folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Day 10 of unemployment-

got a job working in my uncles bar, there was a mix up in the job specs though so i quit in the first 5 minutes. My mother was so pis@ed she cancelled my internet for a week. So i was forced to hand out CVs by foot. Tough day not many companies except actual CVs for upper management positions that they wanted them emailed and when tried to explain that my mother cancelled it they wouldn't listen, after being turned down twice i counted my losses with a few punts on the horses and a few pints. I've just joined the rat race to the bottom folks.

This poster is either a troll or a fcukin muppet. Still trying to figure out which.

(Edit: or both!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Day 10 of unemployment-

Buddy you have ta realise handing them into shops is like pissin against the sea breeze on dollyer. They see you as completion so are basically going ta throw your cv in ta the bin. The only game in town these days is the interet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Day 10 of unemployment-

Maybe you shouldnt mention your mother interfered in your job hunt. Join the local library if you need to job hunt on the internet, they let you use it for free once you're a member.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Buddy you have ta realise handing them into shops is like pissin against the sea breeze on dollyer. They see you as completion so are basically going ta throw your cv in ta the bin. The only game in town these days is the interet.

This is most likely true.

Thankfully the post it's in reply to most likely is not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Day 10 of unemployment-

:D This has got to be a p1sstake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

As an aside, I just offered a full time job to a man who turned it down due to social welfare constraints (25 hour working limit).

This is the 4th time in a week that this has happened.

If anyone wants a security job in Tipperary or Offaly, give me a shout.*

*Mods: I will post in Offaly and Tipperary forums too.

Day eighteen of unemployment-

sorry guys i haven't been able to keep yous posted its been a hectic week. Went to sign on in the local social welfare department, upon entering the place a strong stench of p!ss gripped me followed by the sight of what can only be described as poverty, actual poverty. So i left straight away and said this isn't for me - so i jumped on the internet and got the first plane to south Africa. I don't know why anybody would bother doing the dole buzz when they can just up sticks to where the euro goes a bit further - boggles the mind:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

having 40 million on the dole.....is a secret eu directive.....they want to youth to experience it most....that way they will get used to it a lot easier.......

the eu minister for immigration has said the eu urgently needs another 4 million immigrants from outside the eu.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Day eighteen of unemployment-

sorry guys i haven't been able to keep yous posted its been a hectic week. Went to sign on in the local social welfare department, upon entering the place a strong stench of p!ss gripped me followed by the sight of what can only be described as poverty, actual poverty. So i left straight away and said this isn't for me - so i jumped on the internet and got the first plane to south Africa. I don't know why anybody would bother doing the dole buzz when they can just up sticks to where the euro goes a bit further - boggles the mind:confused:

You should pay a visit to Uganda pal, $2 million big wons down the swannie. In the bank account of the prime minster you say what you want about bertie but he want this corrupt. No won begrudges the Africans the $30 odd million dollars but the man on the street is begrudged the scratcher or social housing. Typical irish dont look after your bruders but youll look after somone on the other sude if tge workd. You have it right my friend see what they'll give you over there if you fall on hard times it'll be sweet f all.

That's why you have to get out of the eu man, if you want cheap steaks, great wine and safari trips golore then SA is the place for you bru

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You should pay a visit to Uganda pal, $2 million big wons down the swannie. In the bank account of the prime minster you say what you want about bertie but he want this corrupt. No won begrudges the Africans the $30 odd million dollars but the man on the street is begrudged the scratcher or social housing. Typical irish dont look after your bruders but youll look after somone on the other sude if tge workd. You have it right my friend see what they'll give you over there if you fall on hard times it'll be sweet f all.

Heard about that alright, i was going to fly up and do some gorilla tracking up there but after hearing our 15 million charity budget has been stopped cause of that scandal they ain't getting any of my Irish euros!

Advertisement