Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Came back from Australia in September after two years ( visa was just about up, could have gotten sponsorship but really didnt want to live in a redneck town in the middle of nowhere without any friends for four years :eek: ).
    To say Im bored would be an understatement. I had a few days working for an electrician here and there, signed off for the days which was grand, but now they have changed it to 5 days instead of 6, so its not worth the time, effort and diesel for an extra tenner.
    I got offered one days work recently, had to leave my house at 3.30am, drive for two hours, change two lights ( about an hours work ) and drive two hours home. I was going to get paid €30 for that including diesel money.
    Applying to CAO after Christmas and hopefully going to college in September, otherwise Ill have to emigrate again.
    So yeah life on the dole sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Saved your dole?
    No offence but thats the best argument I have heard to prove that the level of dole payment is too high.

IT is possible that this person is shrewd with regards handling his finances !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

And he is entitled to spent it how he wishes, it is none of you business what he spends on it, if he wants to spend it on magic beans that's is business.

It is my business because he shouldn't be spending tax payers money on drink and fags. He doesn't need drink and fags.

They are trying to cut money which is going to severely disabled children for god sake and you think its ok to give people 188 a week which they obviously don't need as they are using it to go on the lash/pop it in the bank.

Also- anyone who says they have not been able to get a single day of work in any job in 2 years is A LIAR !!

What they mean is, they haven't wanted to get a job that suits them. I'm not working in a job that suits me/that I love or even like. But I do it because Im not going on the dole and have the cheek to tell people around me that there's not a sinner employing anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

bryaner wrote: »
    Fair play to you on the internship and great to see your enjoying it, I was in a similar situation with my job with 20 years service and kaboom up she went hence why I'm trying to diversify.

You would have no problem getting a job as a life coach sunflower..;)

:D Never thought of that one :D

It's tough when you have to start all over again - my field was print media. Likelihood of getting a job in that is pretty much non-existant now.

I am actually enjoying more what I do now, and to think a year ago I'd never have even considered this.

You just have to keep going and push through the feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness because things do turn around. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen ;)

30Min wrote: »
    It is my business because he shouldn't be spending tax payers money on drink and fags. He doesn't need drink and fags.

They are trying to cut money which is going to severely disabled children for god sake and you think its ok to give people 188 a week which they obviously don't need as they are using it to go on the lash/pop it in the bank.

Also- anyone who says they have not been able to get a single day of work in any job in 2 years is A LIAR !!

What they mean is, they haven't wanted to get a job that suits them. I'm not working in a job that suits me/that I love or even like. But I do it because Im not going on the dole and have the cheek to tell people around me that there's not a sinner employing anyone.

You can't tell someone what to spend their dole on. It will never happen so bleating on about it is a moot point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

doolox wrote: »
    ...the Roman Senators used to have paid retainers called clients who were paid to do nothing but be available to cheer their Senator in public, spread rumours, run messages on a casual basis and be in other ways supportive of their senator. The emperor used to hand out bread and free tickets to the games to keep the mob happy and stay in power......

.....nothing has changed.

On the same day we got the "it's not your fault" speech, Enda Kinny even felt it necessary to give one of these "valued advisers" 30K more than the pay cap !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

bigneacy wrote: »
    None if your business what he does with his dole payment. Would you prefer he lived hand to mouth weekly and stayed on the live register?

If someone chooses to spend €18 a week on beans and bread and save the other €170 it's absolutely no concern of yours.

He saved what he could and got himself back on his feet. Fair play to him, he made sure he is no longer a burden to the state. Your attitude stinks.

Good Call, I've been lucky enough to have a job (a couple of jobs ) since coming out of college five years ago, but I've been made redundant once and I understand the fear of the dole!

For me it would mean moving back home because there is no way I could pay rent and survive on the puny amount the dole gives.

If someone can save while on the dole then hats off to them. In all fairness its an achivement to survive on it not to mind saving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Saved your dole?
    No offence but thats the best argument I have heard to prove that the level of dole payment is too high.
    How else was he going to emigrate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Thats all anyone should expect from the dole, it should enable you to survive no more no less.

It is not for lining drug dealers pockets a la a previous poster's house mate.

You sound like a lovely compassionate person.

Do you club baby seals when they're in season too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

spoofilyj wrote: »

That's not very fair. I have a friend who use to kill seals as part of the government cull in Connemara...he's a very compassionate person!

Anyway, how would people here feel about bringing in drug testing for the dole? I've read it's being proposed for social welfare in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

I've been out of work for 4 months, I think the worst part of being unemployed is just the regular conversations you have with people.

"where are you working these days?"

"ehh I'm on the scratcher :o"

It is a little bit embarrassing but it depends who you're talking to. Most people are sound and always know of somebody close that is in the same boat.

When I'm having a bad day I just try to remember I'm one of hundreds of thousand people who are in the same boat. I don't blame the government though and I never expected a job to be handed to me on a plate.

One thing I have to say is that some of the internships being handed out by different companies can really give great experience if you have none. I've seen a lot of terrible ones at the same time. Forget about money if you're young is what I would say.

Anyway after countless interviews I've a job lined up for the new year.

Keep your head up. When you least expect it something good will turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anyway, how would people here feel about bringing in drug testing for the dole? I've read it's being proposed for social welfare in the States.

Only if signing on becomes an Olympic sport.

Legalising drugs would be a much cheaper and more efficient way of ensuring that people are only spending dole money in the taxed economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Ice87 wrote: »

One thing I have to say is that some of the internships being handed out by different companies can really give great experience if you have none. I've seen a lot of terrible ones at the same time.

Where have you seen these jobs advertised?
    Would definatly be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

chrismon wrote: »
    Where have you seen these jobs advertised?
    Would definatly be interested.

The jobbridge scheme surprisingly enough.

Ice87 wrote: »
    The jobbridge scheme surprisingly enough.

That is surprising tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Why are there some people very very jealous of people on the dole? Or what is their problem saying things like they are spending tax payer's money, so it concerns me what so and so spends it on.

Most people on the dole has lost their jobs, they payed tax themselves, they're only getting it back now when they need it. It really doesn't concern the tax payer what people on the dole spends their money on.

Only if signing on becomes an Olympic sport.

Legalising drugs would be a much cheaper and more efficient way of ensuring that people are only spending dole money in the taxed economy.

Some employers drug test their employees. If we're paying people to do nothing, shouldn't that come with some regulations..

I don't get the people on the dole who can save up and move abroad when on the dole. How dot they get the 1500 euro together to move to Australia plus what's needed to get set up over there. How can people afford UPC or Sky TV? How can people afford to go out every week and smoke weed? I'm not saying that's everybody because I know there's people who had incurred debts before becomming unemployed who don't have it so easy but it makes me sick knowing all but two of my housemates friends don't work and sit around all day smoking and playing video games. They are in the biggest hippy pub 2 or 3 nights a week. Somethings got to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's really just more expense tbh. Another way to ineffectually be seen to be trying to do something than panders to the stereotype.

It's really just more expense tbh. Another way to ineffectually be seen to be trying to do something than panders to the stereotype.

Yeah I can see that alright. It might be a case that the expense may not be worth it. Although having lived in Galway for the last 9 years I'd say if drug testing was brought in a huge percentage of those on the dole here would be cut off.

Some employers drug test their employees. If we're paying people to do nothing, shouldn't that come with some regulations..

I don't get the people on the dole who can save up and move abroad when on the dole. How dot they get the 1500 euro together to move to Australia plus what's needed to get set up over there. How can people afford UPC or Sky TV? How can people afford to go out every week and smoke weed? I'm not saying that's everybody because I know there's people who had incurred debts before becomming unemployed who don't have it so easy but it makes me sick knowing all but two of my housemates friends don't work and sit around all day smoking and playing video games. They are in the biggest hippy pub 2 or 3 nights a week. Somethings got to give.

I just wonder where all these drugged-up, playstation-playing, sky-tv watching hippies are coming from. Jaysus we suddenly have 450,000 of them :eek:

Maybe a hair tax is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

spoofilyj wrote: »

I am too busy working so I can pay my way in society.

I just wonder where all these drugged-up, playstation-playing, sky-tv watching hippies are coming from. Jaysus we suddenly have 450,000 of them :eek:

Maybe a hair tax is the answer.

I didn't say it was everybody that is on the dole. I also know there are bigger problems in the country than that but that doesn't make it any less of an issue. Plus from a personal standpoint as somebody who has been paying a lot of taxes for a long time the fact that people can live in such a way thanks to a broken system does irk me.

I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way. If there's a generalization about people on the dole, why is that?...is it because of what people hear and it's baseless? Or do you think that maybe people know of people who are on the dole and do get f'kd off their heads a few nights a week and live it up? I think it's the latter. Those types of people shouldn't be receiving as generous a handout as those who actually do need it.

I didn't say it was everybody that is on the dole. I also know there are bigger problems in the country than that but that doesn't make it any less of an issue. Plus from a personal standpoint as somebody who has been paying a lot of taxes for a long time the fact that people can live in such a way thanks to a broken system does irk me.

I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way. If there's a generalization about people on the dole, why is that?...is it because of what people hear and it's baseless? Or do you think that maybe people know of people who are on the dole and do get f'kd off their heads a few nights a week and live it up? I think it's the latter. Those types of people shouldn't be receiving as generous a handout as those who actually do need it.

I paid my dues for 10 years in Ireland until I was made redundant.

In any society you are going to get people that will abuse a system.

I am doing my damndest to reskill so that I can work again in a new field, so that I can live and not merely exist week-to-week worrying about feeding myself, paying bills (including 2K annual maintenace fees for where I live), looking presentable... the dole is not easy to live on and do those things.

Holidays are few and far between, new clothes are very rare treat, as is eating out and going out.

A panic sets in when a bill comes in - what can I cut back on this week?

I would obviously much prefer to not be in the situation I am in. I really couldn't give a f*ck if anyone thinks I am bludging or whatever. As said, I paid my dues. I know who I am and what I am and I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

I would far prefer to work and enjoy my life than get a measly amount to live on and scrape by.

I really hope you don't find yourself in the situation I am in - it is not fun, believe me.

This is the first time in 18 years working I have claimed any social welfare and there is no stigma for me at all in accepting it.

There are a lot of people out there like me that don't prescribe to the sleeping in till 1pm, drinking all day, not bothering their arse stereotype.

Sometimes I think taxpayers make a point of not recognising those like myself just so they can moan about paying taxes generally.

It's always going to be this way so you may as well just lump it.

And hopefully, very soon, I will be living again and paying my taxes!

I paid my dues for 10 years in Ireland until I was made redundant.

In any society you are going to get people that will abuse a system.

I am doing my damndest to reskill so that I can work again in a new field, so that I can live and not merely exist week-to-week worrying about feeding myself, paying bills (including 2K annual maintenace fees for where I live), looking presentable... the dole is not easy to live on and do those things.

Holidays are few and far between, new clothes are very rare treat, as is eating out and going out.

A panic sets in when a bill comes in - what can I cut back on this week?

I would obviously much prefer to not be in the situation I am in. I really couldn't give a f*ck if anyone thinks I am bludging or whatever. As said, I paid my dues. I know who I am and what I am and I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

I would far prefer to work and enjoy my life than get a measly amount to live on and scrape by.

I really hope you don't find yourself in the situation I am in - it is not fun, believe me.

This is the first time in 18 years working I have claimed any social welfare and there is no stigma for me at all in accepting it.

There are a lot of people out there like me that don't prescribe to the sleeping in till 1pm, drinking all day, not bothering their arse stereotype.

Sometimes I think taxpayers make a point of not recognising those like myself just so they can moan about paying taxes generally.

It's always going to be this way so you may as well just lump it.

And hopefully, very soon, I will be living again and paying my taxes!

I didn't say that everyone did..this isn't the first time I've had to say that. People see what they want and get defensive.

All I'm saying is the one's that do take the piss shouldn't be allowed to get away with it and with due respect. You paid your dues, just like I have. But what are we paying towards? Did you think when paying taxs that it's ok, I'll pay these taxs and let some people who don't want to work sit on their ass because god forbid someday if I'm unemployed I'd want that money to fall back on? Why would we let that happen? (Because we as a country were irresponsible, we let money be thrown around but because times were good it wasn't questioned)

I'd guess you knew of people back in 2006 or earlier, who just never wanted to work and lived off the dole, I know I did. I'm still in employment and was in employment before the recession. I always thought the system was f'kd. Would I go on the dole if I lost my job? Hell yeah. Would I live off the dole comfortably the way it is now. Hell Yeah, I lived off a lot less when things were more expensive. I went out twice a year, didn't have any holidays. It wasn't fun but I was surviving.

To me your taxes should provide you with food and shelter if you lose your job and give you a decent amount such as 200 a week for a while..The length of time you paid income tax should determine how long you are eligible for the higher amount of tax, otherwise you should only get it for 6 months.

What I feel my dues I'm paying towards should be for improving infrastructure and services roads, schools, hospitals etc. But that doesn't mean it should just be provided with no regulations or care for the money being effectively distributed. Universities shouldn't be allowed to give crazy expenses to publicly funded Phd students, lecturers, presidents etc. Hospitals either need to tighten their belt or be made private, because they are a joke. The roads were largely EU funded and partly funded by us and then you have 3rd party companies running the f'kin tolls and profitting because the government couldn't get their sh!t together quick enough to take them over....

Our taxes shouldn't be used to guarantee us a handsome dole if we lose our jobs, they should be spent effectively on improving the public services. Or at least that's what I think. I don't think I'm paying a huge amount of income tax but it's ok because I'll be sorted if I ever lose my job....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Me from Nigeria, Free Money, House and Car. Love this Country, Love the Irish.

Saved your dole?

The guy probably lived off Tesco Value baked beans for two years to save up and get out of this dive. He did the right thing and his quality of life is now substantially better. Had he been given less, perhaps he would still be in Ireland and still on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Saved your dole?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/004/406/u_jelly.jpg?1310788716

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

Being on welfare would have a bad effect on anyone.
    For my experiences I found that people on welfare can be in one or in a combination of these situations:

a) lack skills and qualifications for the skills required jobs available in Ireland now
    b) lack self confidence
    c) have undiagnosed mental health/addiction/alcohol problems
    d) Are in a trap they don't know how to get out of or don't have the knowledge, resources and support available to them that they can acess, that can be necessary to enable them to towards education, training and employment
    e) on welfare because it is the only way to survive based on their circumstances
    f) Are temporarily on welfare while trying and planning to take the next step in their life employment or emigration
    g) Are at risk of suffering depression and developing a mental illness
    h) Can be afriad to get out of their comfort zone of the security of welfare because it takes a lot of emotionally and psycholgically to try to get a job and they fear they will be knock down even further when rejected so many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I didn't say that everyone did..this isn't the first time I've had to say that. People see what they want and get defensive.

All I'm saying is the one's that do take the piss shouldn't be allowed to get away with it and with due respect. You paid your dues, just like I have. But what are we paying towards? Did you think when paying taxs that it's ok, I'll pay these taxs and let some people who don't want to work sit on their ass because god forbid someday if I'm unemployed I'd want that money to fall back on? Why would we let that happen? (Because we as a country were irresponsible, we let money be thrown around but because times were good it wasn't questioned)

I'd guess you knew of people back in 2006 or earlier, who just never wanted to work and lived off the dole, I know I did. I'm still in employment and was in employment before the recession. I always thought the system was f'kd. Would I go on the dole if I lost my job? Hell yeah. Would I live off the dole comfortably the way it is now. Hell Yeah, I lived off a lot less when things were more expensive. I went out twice a year, didn't have any holidays. It wasn't fun but I was surviving.

To me your taxes should provide you with food and shelter if you lose your job and give you a decent amount such as 200 a week for a while..The length of time you paid income tax should determine how long you are eligible for the higher amount of tax, otherwise you should only get it for 6 months.

What I feel my dues I'm paying towards should be for improving infrastructure and services roads, schools, hospitals etc. But that doesn't mean it should just be provided with no regulations or care for the money being effectively distributed. Universities shouldn't be allowed to give crazy expenses to publicly funded Phd students, lecturers, presidents etc. Hospitals either need to tighten their belt or be made private, because they are a joke. The roads were largely EU funded and partly funded by us and then you have 3rd party companies running the f'kin tolls and profitting because the government couldn't get their sh!t together quick enough to take them over....

Our taxes shouldn't be used to guarantee us a handsome dole if we lose our jobs, they should be spent effectively on improving the public services. Or at least that's what I think. I don't think I'm paying a huge amount of income tax but it's ok because I'll be sorted if I ever lose my job....

The majority of people don't think of paying taxes as a safety net for when you lose your job, its not until you lose your job that you have to quickly educate yourself on how claim your redundancy and unpaid wages because all of a sudden you have nothing..

It's hardly a handsome amount. Did you read what I posted?

And no, you won't be sorted if you want to live without worry, enjoy holidays, going out and having a good time.

Trust me, my life now is very, very different to the life I had. I'd give anything to not be constantly worrying about bills, my mortgage and trying to feed myself, look presentable.

You make think it is cushy, but as someone living it, it is far from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It can be compared with the life of a parasite.

<awaits tsunami of condemnation from parasites>
    Yeah, damn those parasitic types who lost their jobs due to the economic downturn and are availing of the dole, seeing as they need an income and they paid their taxes for long enough, until they find another job.

And hurrah for those anti dole renegades who wouldn't even go on it if they lost their jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Me from Nigeria, Free Money, House and Car. Love this Country, Love the Irish.
    Try to think for yourself and try not to believe people who say immigrants get free houses and cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

TheZohan wrote: »
    How is it for you?

Its tough.
    I have had to sell my BMW and buy a Mercedes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Living on €100 euro a week on my own its the grant spread over 12 months so its the same as the dole I will get for three years after I leave college assuming I don't find work lets hope that's not the case!

Its not good I don't get to eat properly would never dream of buying new clothes and I'm sad now the college is closed it was warm and saved on the elecy. If I lived in town I'd get the food parcel just for my own wellbeing.

Don't understand this shame element, I went without a lot of things for school because my parents were too ashamed to ask for the school grant, if ya need something to buy the basics there should never be shame.

It's hardly a handsome amount. Did you read what I posted?

You make think it is cushy, but as someone living it, it is far from that.

But should the dole be paying for peoples holidays or paying for them to survive? It's pretty handsome in fairness...200 a week for some, that's a lot of money. A lot of people talked about human rights when the budget came out. The human rights ensure you have food and shelter, not holidays, subscription tv, mobile phones or nights out.

I lived on 89 euro a week in 2005, when in college. It sucked, I'm under no illusion that it's tough and it does get you down. I was very low at the time. There was times when I couldn't afford all my meals, particularly when I had a bill to pay, my parents couldn't give me any help because only my mother could work and they were struggling, my brother was unemployed etc.

Two of my housemates went to England for 3 weeks towards the end of our lease because they finished up early. They didn't have anything in the fridge or freezer and it was nearly May so the weather was getting better. I was by myself so I actually turned off all the power, only switching it on for an hour a night to cook...I know how tough things can be, our last bill came to 12 euro. I had a day off during that time and lay in bed awake all day thinking if I didn't do anything I might get hungry later. And that's not a sob story, it made me appreciate things more, I make a great living now and don't take a cent of it for granted.

I had some piece of sh!t in my apartment the other night who didn't work for 5 years. Suprisingly he doesn't wear tattered clothes, seemed to go out any time my housemate was out on the weekend, smoke weed constantly and frequented gig in a place in town...I don't like that, why should he have got that much money for so long?

A job is more than just a wage or salary

A job is more than just a wage or salary

Actually you are right and not everybody has a source to skill up when unemployed. I'm lucky, I work in IT. I have a backup plan if I ever find myself out of work, I can skill up with certs rather than go back to college.

On that point, I'm actually volunteering at the moment teach elderly people basic internet skills.

I see a few jobs crop up from time to time for people with basic computer skills. Office, basic SQL, HTML etc.

Would anybody currently not from an IT background have any interest in learning basic computing skills...maybe you have a second language from school...French, German or Spanish and all you need is some basic computer skills to land a Support with language job. I could do up some knowledge sharing stuff if there's enough demand for it and post it online for free...what do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I have a BSc (Hons) and an MSc...but I'm on the dole.

I have applied to countless jobs here in my sector, but not one company has bothered to give me an interview.

I had to look abroad and apply to companies in mainland Europe. I've recently flown over for interviews, and please be to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I'll get something.

To those who look down on people who are on the dole and just assume that they are uneducated, lazy bastards I say this - get a ****ing grip.

Actually you are right and not everybody has a source to skill up when unemployed. I'm lucky, I work in IT. I have a backup plan if I ever find myself out of work, I can skill up with certs rather than go back to college.

On that point, I'm actually volunteering at the moment teach elderly people basic internet skills.

I see a few jobs crop up from time to time for people with basic computer skills. Office, basic SQL, HTML etc.

Would anybody currently not from an IT background have any interest in learning basic computing skills...maybe you have a second language from school...French, German or Spanish and all you need is some basic computer skills to land a Support with language job. I could do up some knowledge sharing stuff if there's enough demand for it and post it online for free...what do people think?

Exactly there is always people who need to learn computer skills especially now when almost everything is online it's also a skill for life.

There are many english lanaguage teaching jobs in korea, my friend is over there , she gets 30 dollars per hour! and loves it there. English speakers are like gold dust over there.

• Advertisement

But should the dole be paying for peoples holidays or paying for them to survive? It's pretty handsome in fairness...200 a week for some, that's a lot of money. A lot of people talked about human rights when the budget came out. The human rights ensure you have food and shelter, not holidays, subscription tv, mobile phones or nights out.

I lived on 89 euro a week in 2005, when in college. It sucked, I'm under no illusion that it's tough and it does get you down. I was very low at the time. There was times when I couldn't afford all my meals, particularly when I had a bill to pay, my parents couldn't give me any help because only my mother could work and they were struggling, my brother was unemployed etc.

Two of my housemates went to England for 3 weeks towards the end of our lease because they finished up early. They didn't have anything in the fridge or freezer and it was nearly May so the weather was getting better. I was by myself so I actually turned off all the power, only switching it on for an hour a night to cook...I know how tough things can be, our last bill came to 12 euro. I had a day off during that time and lay in bed awake all day thinking if I didn't do anything I might get hungry later. And that's not a sob story, it made me appreciate things more, I make a great living now and don't take a cent of it for granted.

I had some piece of sh!t in my apartment the other night who didn't work for 5 years. Suprisingly he doesn't wear tattered clothes, seemed to go out any time my housemate was out on the weekend, smoke weed constantly and frequented gig in a place in town...I don't like that, why should he have got that much money for so long?

Hey, I never said the dole should pay for holidays. I said being on the dole means I forego travelling, which is something I love. I'd much rather be working so that I could afford to do the things I love to do as often as I wanted.

I can't argue that some people are not out to abuse the system. Personally I don't know why anyone would want to live on 188e a week and live off that and not aspire to buy nice things, experience new things and travel new places - which all cost money.

I agree with you that there is no valid excuse for someone to not work in 5 years, to not educate themselves. But then, that is because that existence is totally alien to me. I can't imagine living as I am for another 4 years. It is a nightmare I don't even want to think about. Clothes can be cheap enough to buy in Penney's so the piece of sh!t you were talking about doesn't need too much to not look like a tramp.

I personally rarely even thought of what it would be like to be unemployed because I was alway in gainful employment, enjoying my life... my redundancy rocked me to my very core.

It's not just the lack of money to get my hair done, etc, it is the feeling of not being wanted, of worthlessness from not contributing, of meeting friends and not having anything much to talk about.

I took on an internship to better myself and to make me more employable in the future. I actually see myself as one of the lucky ones, believe it or not. Now when I meet friends they want to know about the exciting things I am doing - it makes a nice change, I can tell you.

I didn't lose my positivity that down the line things will improve - I think it is a trap many do fall into.

I look forward to the day I can do an honest day's work and be paid for it.

Maybe I have a different outlook because I am living this life and I can see that it is not a life I'd ever live by choice.

ETA: And yes, I too volunteer - I am on the fundraising committe of a women's refuge. There are a lot of people on the dole that are doing good things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Saved your dole?

get lost.
    go begrudge someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

theg81der wrote: »
    :( this thread makes me feel worse. All the generalisations. Theres no jobs - I`d gladly work in dunnes penneys etc Theres no training option because I have a level 8. I`m bored and lonely I find myslef wandering around aimlessly because I have nothing else to do. I am not the confident person I was when I worked and I miss that. I almost feel apologetic for my existance at the moment.

But on the bright side I`m pregnant and that for me is a miracle whenever it happens so although I don`t have the money to offer my child the opportunities I`d like I do have time and love to give them.
    Remember though, this country is not going to be f***ed forever. It'll turn around.............eventually! Good luck with the baby.

Hey, I never said the dole should pay for holidays. I said being on the dole means I forego travelling, which is something I love. I'd much rather be working so that I could afford to do the things I love to do as often as I wanted.

I can't argue that some people are not out to abuse the system. Personally I don't know why anyone would want to live on 188e a week and live off that and not aspire to buy nice things, experience new things and travel new places - which all cost money.

I agree with you that there is no valid excuse for someone to not work in 5 years, to not educate themselves. But then, that is because that existence is totally alien to me. I can't imagine living as I am for another 4 years. It is a nightmare I don't even want to think about. Clothes can be cheap enough to buy in Penney's so the piece of sh!t you were talking about doesn't need too much to not look like a tramp.

I personally rarely even thought of what it would be like to be unemployed because I was alway in gainful employment, enjoying my life... my redundancy rocked me to my very core.

It's not just the lack of money to get my hair done, etc, it is the feeling of not being wanted, of worthlessness from not contributing, of meeting friends and not having anything much to talk about.

I took on an internship to better myself and to make me more employable in the future. I actually see myself as one of the lucky ones, believe it or not. Now when I meet friends they want to know about the exciting things I am doing - it makes a nice change, I can tell you.

I didn't lose my positivity that down the line things will improve - I think it is a trap many do fall into.

I look forward to the day I can do an honest day's work and be paid for it.

Maybe I have a different outlook because I am living this life and I can see that it is not a life I'd ever live by choice.

ETA: And yes, I too volunteer - I am on the fundraising committe of a women's refuge. There are a lot of people on the dole that are doing good things.

Sorry the whole volunteer mention was more I'm doing this at the moment so maybe I could do up materials for training in other things if the interests is out there. If I'm doing this for free as it is, why not offer training to free to others online.

Anybody have anything computer wise they'd like to learn. I might have the knowledge to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, damn those parasitic types who lost their jobs due to the economic downturn and are availing of the dole, seeing as they need an income and they paid their taxes for long enough, until they find another job.

And hurrah for those anti dole renegades who wouldn't even go on it if they lost their jobs...

Don't mind KP, his real opinion is actually nothing at all like the one he expressed in this thread, or many others.

After a long chat with him in another thread his real view of Social Welfare and those who need it is actually quite reasonable and well informed.

I have no idea why he keeps resorting to this type of post...I can only assume to appear cool or something because it's AH.

But every time he does i remind him it's not really what he thinks and he should stop being a sad bastard about it.

I believe there is no one that wants to be on welfare, everyone really does want to take part and contribute to society in what ever way, shape or form that they can give. It's human nature, people need to get respect by others and from others in the contribution to society they make. I think there is not much support and rescources for marginalise in this society to make a valuable contribution.

There many people who have degrees and who are well qualified are working in job where a pass in the leaving cert is not required, these jobs should only be given to people who are unemployed and lack skills and qualifications and/or the long term unempolyed because it is these jobs that will do justice to them not qualified/educated people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'm gonna do a TEFL course in the new year and ship out of this miserable country for a while. Simply can't face another year of merely existing and going nowhere. Up yours Ireland :)

Wattle wrote: »
    I'm gonna do a TEFL course in the new year and ship out of this miserable country for a while. Simply can't face another year of merely existing and going nowhere. Up yours Ireland :)

I know that's an After Hours remark but I have to say anyways..Up Yours Ireland for not giving you enough or what?

Try another country, see what happens if you lose your job there....

I don't wish that on you but come on, we have it great in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭imalwayshappy

Change is needed. There are far too many people who are using the dole for drinking and smoking which is a waste of tax payers money. I propose the following.

1.The dole should be taken away from younger people who have not contributed PRSI and replaced with food vouchers.
    2. Members of soceity which have been made redundant which numerous years of service to the country via PRSI should be given an increase in their weekely allowance.

There is far to much wastage in social welfare its sickening. I see hard working people with families suffer because Mick wants to stay at home with mammy and piss away his 188 euro away. Take away the options for these people and without hard cash they will find a job quick enough.

Change is needed. There are far too many people who are using the dole for drinking and smoking which is a waste of tax payers money. I propose the following.

1.The dole should be taken away from younger people who have not contributed PRSI and replaced with food vouchers.
    2. Members of soceity which have been made redundant which numerous years of service to the country via PRSI should be given an increase in their weekely allowance.

There is far to much wastage in social welfare its sickening. I see hard working people with families suffer because Mick wants to stay at home with mammy and piss away his 188 euro away. Take away the options for these people and without hard cash they will find a job quick enough.

I don't think Mick would qualify for 188e if he lives with mammy? I thought if you lived at home your rate was cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

I don't think Mick would qualify for 188e if he lives with mammy? I thought if you lived at home your rate was cut?

Only if you're under 25

• Advertisement
Advertisement