Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    Only if you're under 25

25-year-olds living at home :eek: Ah, come on, you're having a laugh, surely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I know that's an After Hours remark but I have to say anyways..Up Yours Ireland for not giving you enough or what?

Try another country, see what happens if you lose your job there....

I don't wish that on you but come on, we have it great in this country

The money is just enough to exist. I'm tired of merely existing.

Isn't it better that I'd be off the dole and being useful somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

Alot over 25s still live with their parents! Why do they not want to fend for themselves and live their own life? If they are healthy adults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The dole is relatively high because the cost of living is high.

"If you can't afford children, don't have them" is one of the dumbest phrases in existence btw. Seriously displays no thinking whatsoever.

Alot over 25s still live with their parents! Why do they not want to fend for themselves and live their own life? If they are healthy adults?
    High unemployment making it difficult to fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »

"If you can't afford children, don't have them" is one of the dumbest phrases in existence btw. Seriously displays no thinking whatsoever.

Oddly enough 100 of the finest minds in economics have lobbied the English government to actually increase the amount of benefits as it would be so good for the economy.

Needless to say people ignore this in threads such as these. It's easier to stick to stereotypes and poorly thought out arguments.

Well most people who are on welfare are stuggling to get by, bringing a child into that struggle isn't what they deserve but life isn't as simple as that and no contraception is 100% effective 100% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Life on the dole.
    How is it for you?

The hours are great but the pay is sh*t.

High unemployment making it difficult to fend for themselves.

Well it is no excuse for grown adults depending on their parents. If you don't live at your parents, you are entitled to more social welfare benefits such as fuel allowance and rent allowance. It's not real life living with your parents, many people who do don't know what real life is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Well it is no excuse for grown adults depending on their parents. If you don't live at your parents, you are entitled to more social welfare benefits such as fuel allowance and rent allowance. It's not real life living with your parents, many people who do don't know what real life is.
    so simple. Hang on I go get a house sure.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    so simple. Hang on I go get a house sure.

I didn't say it's simple but it's better to know what life is than live at your parents. You can house/flat share or live in studio/bedsit. You would be entitled to more benefits than living at home depending on your parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I didn't say it's simple but it's better to know what life is than live at your parents. You can house/flat share or live in studio/bedsit. You would be entitled to more benefits than living at home depending on your parents

I know what your sayong but some would rather not claim every benefit available to them just to live life in a cushti way.

Well most people who are on welfare are stuggling to get by, bringing a child into that struggle isn't what they deserve but life isn't as simple as that and no contraception is 100% effective 100% of the time.
    The phrase is even applied though to people who lose their job, or whose partner left them. It's such an obnoxious attitude, by people who are naive and arrogant enough to think such stuff couldn't happen to them.
    Re adults living with their parents: I personally don't see the issue, so long as they pay towards bills and mortgage or rent. And so long as they help around the house and don't rely on family members to be taxi services. Some of them also may only be doing so as a temporary measure because of returning from travelling or college or because they've lost their job.

The phrase is even applied though to people who lose their job, or whose partner left them. It's such an obnoxious attitude, by people who are naive and arrogant enough to think such stuff couldn't happen to them.
    Re adults living with their parents: I personally don't see the issue, so long as they pay towards bills and mortgage or rent. And so long as they help around the house and don't rely on family members to be taxi services. Some of them also may only be doing so as a temporary measure because of returning from travelling or college or because they've lost their job.

Well I know for many it's temporary but for those that are living long term at their parents, there isn't much progress that can made in your life while living with your parents. People come to realise what real life is once they are living independently, they learn the value of money, how to cook, how to budget etc. There are a good few people who do not know the basic things of living because their mothers do most things for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I heard its quite hard to get rent allowance. Isnt it something like only 10% of the people on the dole are on rent allowance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I think the whole "accident" thing is a load of absolute rubbish, yes some contraception is 100% (implanon when properly inserted) people don`t want it because the unconsciously want "accidents" its only human nature - I do know lots of friends who would tell people it wasn`t intended etc to cover themselve but I know and they know they are lying.

I`m pregnant now and on the dole so not what I wanted for my family but needs must I will not pretend that I wasn`t involved in getting myself into this situation and if payments for having kids stops its my problem and my decision why should everyone else be penilised for my decision to have kids? I`m getting older there are no jobs and I`m not going to risk my childs health for my pride these added to my decision. And when chatting to someone who works in the dole and said I was waiting till we got work to have a child - they laughed and said I was foolish and to look at everyone else.

Spunge wrote: »
    I heard its quite hard to get rent allowance. Isnt it something like only 10% of the people on the dole are on rent allowance ?

No that's not correct. Anyone who is living independently in private rented accommodation and is on a welfare already and has been living in Ireland for the past few years has a high chance of getting rent allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

30Min wrote: »
    It is my business because he shouldn't be spending tax payers money on drink and fags. He doesn't need drink and fags.

They are trying to cut money which is going to severely disabled children for god sake and you think its ok to give people 188 a week which they obviously don't need as they are using it to go on the lash/pop it in the bank.

Also- anyone who says they have not been able to get a single day of work in any job in 2 years is A LIAR !!

What they mean is, they haven't wanted to get a job that suits them. I'm not working in a job that suits me/that I love or even like. But I do it because Im not going on the dole and have the cheek to tell people around me that there's not a sinner employing anyone.
    HOW DARE YOU!!!
    Who do you think you are calling so many people LIARS. You come to Tralee and try and find work you,ll be bloody laughed at . Fairplay to you working in a job you don,t like something I,d gladly do but don,t paint everyone on the dole with the same brush for every fool spending his dole on fags n booze there are 10 genuinely struggling and desperate and quite frankly scared of the future!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yeah, damn those parasitic types who lost their jobs due to the economic downturn and are availing of the dole, seeing as they need an income and they paid their taxes for long enough, until they find another job.

And hurrah for those anti dole renegades who wouldn't even go on it if they lost their jobs...

Dudess, given that you've been on boards.ie longer than I have, I would have suspected that you of all people would be able to identify an obvious troll ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Saved your dole?
    No offence but thats the best argument I have heard to prove that the level of dole payment is too high.

Agree totally.

theg81der wrote: »
    I think the whole "accident" thing is a load of absolute rubbish, yes some contraception is 100% (implanon when properly inserted) people don`t want it because the unconsciously want "accidents" its only human nature - I do know lots of friends who would tell people it wasn`t intended etc to cover themselve but I know and they know they are lying.

I`m pregnant now and on the dole so not what I wanted for my family but needs must I will not pretend that I wasn`t involved in getting myself into this situation and if payments for having kids stops its my problem and my decision why should everyone else be penilised for my decision to have kids? I`m getting older there are no jobs and I`m not going to risk my childs health for my pride these added to my decision. And when chatting to someone who works in the dole and said I was waiting till we got work to have a child - they laughed and said I was foolish and to look at everyone else.

Congratulations on your pregancy! hope everything goes well for you.

I would love to have a child but I really want it to have all the oppertunities available to them in life to prosper without struggling so maybe in the future when things get better, will see what happens. That is not to say people who are on low income cannot give alot to their children but every situation is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Normally stated by people who don't have any!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Abortions should be mandatory, if you're on the dole.

That is murder and wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Adolf the troll!
    Scrub that---Hu Jintao the troll...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well I know for many it's temporary but for those that are living long term at their parents, there isn't much progress that can made in your life while living with your parents. People come to realise what real life is once they are living independently, they learn the value of money, how to cook, how to budget etc. There are a good few people who do not know the basic things of living because their mothers do most things for them.

Out of interest, what progress does living at home prevent?
    I live at home. I can cook (pretty well, to be honest), and I was taught the value of money from a young age. I was given a stable but limited pocket allowance each month and my parents made sure to show me the value of budgeting and planning ahead. These aren't things that are unlearnable while living at home. That depends on the person and what they want to learn, not on the location they are living in.

I'll admit I've got a pretty overbearing mother who insists on doing alot of the washing, etc, for me, and I'd like independence one day. But right now, I'm unemployed, and its not financially responsible of me to move out. In fact, I hate the social stigma that surrounds this idea of having to move out, cause its something that, as a nation, we're going to have to help pay for when we cannot afford it. We shouldn't be encouraging people to move out of home and, in the process, either having to fork out extra benefits to them or having people put themselves into debt, just to maintain a social norm.

When I can afford to move out and get my own place, and when I'm not going to cripple myself financially, I will, but in the mean time, let me decide where I want to live please.

So what your saying is all the people whose mother and/or father were on the dole or on other welfare payment while they were their children were born don't deserve to live!

Out of interest, what progress does living at home prevent?
    I live at home. I can cook (pretty well, to be honest), and I was taught the value of money from a young age. I was given a stable but limited pocket allowance each month and my parents made sure to show me the value of budgeting and planning ahead. These aren't things that are unlearnable while living at home. That depends on the person and what they want to learn, not on the location they are living in.

I'll admit I've got a pretty overbearing mother who insists on doing alot of the washing, etc, for me, and I'd like independence one day. But right now, I'm unemployed, and its not financially responsible of me to move out. In fact, I hate the social stigma that surrounds this idea of having to move out, cause its something that, as a nation, we're going to have to help pay for when we cannot afford it. We shouldn't be encouraging people to move out of home and, in the process, either having to fork out extra benefits to them or having people put themselves into debt, just to maintain a social norm.

When I can afford to move out and get my own place, and when I'm not going to cripple myself financially, I will, but in the mean time, let me decide where I want to live please.

Well you are an adult even in the animal kingdom the offspring know to leave when they are raised. Where is the sigma surrounding moving out and becoming independent, it's what adults do!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well you are an adult even in the animal kingdom the offspring know to leave when they are raised. Where is the sigma surrounding moving out and becoming independent, it's what adults do!

It's not surrounding moving out; it's surrounding the fact some people make quite logical choices to stay at home but are moaned about. The funny thing is if I moved out of home and started claiming benefits to help such a decision, I'd have people moaning about that to. It's a lose/lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Spunge wrote: »
    If you are entitled to it, you will get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I was on the dole for 3 months after I left College. It was fantastic having that time off. Ok, so i didn't have a lot of cash, but time is SOOOOOO much more valuable than cash. I am astounded that people cite 'boredom' as a consequence of being on the dole. Its like people who say, 'if i won the lotto, I'd still work as I'd just get bored'. WHAT???!! It sounds like some people have been institutionalized by the jobs market.

Of course, I hope you all find what you desire in terms of work, but for those of you who are bored with all the time off, and having no joy in getting work, just imagine the multitudes of things you could do with your free time. You could help others in your community by donating your time (You'll be surprised at the joy you can get in giving), pick up a hobby, read, educate yourself further, pick up a musical instrument etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What a stupid idiotic statement to post

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

realies wrote: »
    What a stupid idiotic statement to post

Some of us aren't afraid to make tough decisions.

Thankfully such tough decision makers are often too stupid to ever get to the point where they could effect such changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Oddly enough 100 of the finest minds in economics have lobbied the English government to actually increase the amount of benefits as it would be so good for the economy.

Needless to say people ignore this in threads such as these. It's easier to stick to stereotypes and poorly thought out arguments.

The dole in the UK is only half what it is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

That is murder and wrong

Isn't abortion legal in Ireland?

(I'm honestly asking, I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Although I am pro choice that is just what it wouldn't be: choice.

I was on the dole once, in 1997 for 3 months.

Don't mind KP, his real opinion is actually nothing at all like the one he expressed in this thread, or many others.

After a long chat with him in another thread his real view of Social Welfare and those who need it is actually quite reasonable and well informed.

I have no idea why he keeps resorting to this type of post...I can only assume to appear cool or something because it's AH.

But every time he does i remind him it's not really what he thinks and he should stop being a sad bastard about it.

Hitler was good at dealing with parasites, maybe we should try the same with people who are unemployed and totally useless to society.

(hawr hawr hawrr trollolololololllololololol)

Thank my post because I'm cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Robdude wrote: »
    Isn't abortion legal in Ireland?

(I'm honestly asking, I don't know)

No, unfortunately it is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

professore wrote: »

and dole bums in the UK can still afford the new Nike trainers, Sky TV, cars, mobile phones, fags, booze!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Who is this us ?

professore wrote: »

Sure is.

How about average wage, cost of living, rate of inflation etc etc.
    Hitler was good at dealing with parasites, maybe we should try the same with people who are unemployed and totally useless to society.

(hawr hawr hawrr trollolololololllololololol)

Thank my post because I'm cool.

You already used that one in a previous thread.

You need to get more original instead of just biting your own posts.

I hate to see potential being squandered.

If increasing the amount of dole money is good for the economy - feel free to send some of those euros my way.

I'm not an economist but I still believe in common sense. Giving people more money to do nothing requires a source of income to get that money. Sources like taxes. People who work pay taxes. Those people are just as likely to spend money and contribution to the economy as the people you intend to give more money too.

All this does is encourage people not to work and encourage wasteful spending. Neither of which make any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

CamperMan wrote: »
    and dole bums in the UK can still afford the new Nike trainers, Sky TV, cars, mobile phones, fags, booze!!!!

Well you do have to go to the trouble of rioting for those things

Robdude wrote: »
    If increasing the amount of dole money is good for the economy - feel free to send some of those euros my way.

I'm not an economist but I still believe in common sense. Giving people more money to do nothing requires a source of income to get that money. Sources like taxes. People who work pay taxes. Those people are just as likely to spend money and contribution to the economy as the people you intend to give more money too.

All this does is encourage people not to work and encourage wasteful spending. Neither of which make any sense to me.

It's also an enormous cash injection into the economy each week. People will talk about dolers spending money of drugs and saving it but that is largely bollix.

Mostly they put everything they get into the hands of local businesses. You should read about Plan B with regard to the UK economy, it explains it far better than i could and largely made me completely change my view of what should be done about the dole in Ireland.

You already used that one in a previous thread.

You need to get more original instead of just biting your own posts.

I hate to see potential being squandered.

In my first post I didn't suggest the mass extermination of the unemployed parasites, I merely stated that those on the dole are parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

How much to u get on the dole over here

Personally - I think everyone on the dole (at least, every able-bodied person) should be required to perform 20 hours of community service each week in order to get their payments.

A lot of people on the dole complain that they feel worthless. This would give them some sense of purpose. And lord knows, there are plenty of jobs to be done. Some of it could even be considered valuable training for when these people return to the work-force.

Working 20 hours per week still gives job seekers plenty of time to search for a job and the hours could be flexible to allow job interviews. This might even discourage people from abusing the system - now it's not free money, it's an honest, decent paying part-time job that will keep food on the table until you can find something better.

The tax payers win too - they are still paying for the dole benefits but now they get something tangible; even if it's someone as simple as cleaner streets and parks.

In my first post I didn't suggest the mass extermination of the unemployed parasites, I merely stated that those on the dole are parasites.

Key phrase you missed from my post... "in a previous thread".

Like i said, all this trolly **** from you have been done, and i am aware of your genuine opinions. I look forward to you hopefully evolving your trolling game in 2012.

• Advertisement

It's also an enormous cash injection into the economy each week. People will talk about dolers spending money of drugs and saving it but that is largely bollix.

Mostly they put everything they get into the hands of local businesses. You should read about Plan B with regard to the UK economy, it explains it far better than i could and largely made me completely change my view of what should be done about the dole in Ireland.

So....

1.) Tax businesses a lot
    2.) Take some of that tax and give it to people who don't work
    3.) Wait for those people to spend money at said business
    4.) Business earns back some fraction of the taxed money they paid

How is this better than

1.) Tax businesses less

?

Honestly, I'm willing to admit I have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't know if I'll get a chance to read the book, but thank you for mentioning it. I know that not all topics are simple enough to sum up in a quick boards.ie post.

Advertisement