Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

My life on the dole...
    No work, no money, bored out of my mind, lonely, depression high, anxiety high, health suffering... I hate being unemployed...

Then your talking to some smiley fecker: "unemployed? You mean fun-employed! I'm having a great time!"
    Then you talk to someone with a job: "I wish I had the free time... And money for nothing..."
    Then a friend: "You're just not trying... If you really wanted a job you'd have one right now".
    This was after I'd given up trying for a while and then climbed back on the horse and started sending out cv's again and calling into shops...
    I'd been back at it a week and they meant it as in "In the last 7 days you could have gotten a job if you really wanted" and not as in "If you'd not taken that break from searching".
    I said I'd be happy if I got an interview in the next week or so... "No, you could get a job tomorrow if you really actually wanted one".)

unemployment, soul crushing hand to mouth survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

It's also an enormous cash injection into the economy each week. People will talk about dolers spending money of drugs and saving it but that is largely bollix.

Mostly they put everything they get into the hands of local businesses. You should read about Plan B with regard to the UK economy, it explains it far better than i could and largely made me completely change my view of what should be done about the dole in Ireland.

Agree a million per cent!

When I was on the dole, the minute I got my 144 yoyos (yup, not everyone gets the full dole, for those who like to throw around the "spongers getting 200 euro a week" rubbish), about 50 went on rent, the rest went on groceries and paying for services (bills, etc) , and maybe about 10 euro was left over for emergencies during the week ( a pint of milk, a loaf of bread, envelopes for sending out CV's, etc)... so yeah, pretty much everything went back into the local economy. Needless to say, whenever I would rarely have some left over for a drink or new clothes my mind would flick back to threads like these on boards and and I felt guilty for spending my paltry sum on "non-essentials".

I think the feeling of "It's my money and I can do what I want with it" is something people with a job take for granted. It's not something you even have to think about until you're on the dole and suddenly it's the tax-payers' money, not yours.

I vowed to myself I wouldn't have an arrogant attitude if I was ever lucky enough to get a job. Now, that it's finally happened and it's my money those on the dole are spending, I really couldn't give a flying fcuk if they buy drink with it. Because the vast, vast majority of people for the main part are just using it to scrape by, and I won't be a begrudger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I have been on the dole for a number of years and I would recommend those in a similar situation to consider doing some kind of voluntary work. I have volunteered in five different organisations and I have found volunteering to be very rewarding. I have a reason to get up out of bed in the morning and also enjoy the company of other volunteers and colleagues. Try it! www.volunteer.ie It will also look good on your CV if you do get a job interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I reckon people on the dole should go on strike..refuse to collect thier money and do a bit of work instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I am on the dole and working - my cousin has a painting contracting firm. I take in about 2K a week - sometimes more.

I am not bothered as all I have to do is compare myself to Civil Servants and Bankers and I don't feel such a parasite after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I am on the dole and working - my cousin has a painting contracting firm. I take in about 2K a week - sometimes more.

I am not bothered as all I have to do is compare myself to Civil Servants and Bankers and I don't feel such a parasite after all.

The difference is that civil servants pay tax..you dont.

Anyway it wont be long before your arse is ratted out and then you'll be getting fcuck all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

It can be compared with the life of a parasite.

<awaits tsunami of condemnation from parasites>

we spend most of our life longing to rasp on something that isn't technically ours so what's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

I am in a similar situation myself. I am 34 years of age and have been applying for jobs for the last 2 years. If its any consolation, I have a 1.1 BA (Hons) degree, and a MA Masters degree; with 10 years industry experience and I can't get a job! I have managed to get interviews, even get called back to second interviews; but never get offered the job. My confidence has taken a knock after 2 years of receiving rejection letters. Often I am over qualified and experienced for minimum wage, and junior management jobs, but under qualified for senior management jobs. To be honest with you, having a Masters degree is more of a hindrance than a help. I can remember 10 years ago being able to pick and choose where I wanted to work. Its a sign of the times that people like us who want to work, can't get a job. I find it demoralising. The hardest thing is when you meet a new girl and she asks; what do you do for a living? I'm unemployed. It's a real conversation killer.

That's a bummer mate. It would be great if employers told you why your not being hired by them! It wouldn't happen unless you ask the question i guess! Maybe something for you to consider going forward? I Haven't got any interview myself lately, so not something i can do so easily!

A your bound to have taken a confidence hit especially as you have put lot of work into achieving your educational results. I find it odd though with your standard of education you're still unemployed, 2 years crazy insane to me.

I don't find its a real conversation killer with the ladies, but been on the dole and dating, can cause problems longer-term as your limited financially. Money issues undoubtedly will put a strain on any new relationship that starts. Girls will blow you off fairly quickly anyways if their only interested in men with money. Those Girls are everywhere theses days especially as we are so consumer minded, but theres good girls out there as well mate. Who'll want you for you, not what you have in the bank as savings. I don't understand why Girls would be put off you anyway's mate.

Your are overeducated, but that aint a bad thing you have a brain and it not likely with your education you'll been unemployed forever. Maybe though this how bad it really is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1lZMTCqf8&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Really .well if your gettin 2 grand a week painting why are you bothered with the measly 188 dole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

maxfresh wrote: »
    Really .well if your gettin 2 grand a week painting why are you bothered with the measly 188 dole

free money is free money,have you never seen the shows on the uk channels where they catch out benefit frauds driving aorund in mercedes cars,running hotels and pubs and they are collecting 200 quid every fortnight on the dole over there lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Why would you admit to defrauding the government on a public message board ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I dont think painters made that kinda dust in the good old tiger days not too mind now . A hundred grand a year as a painter in a recession :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If its geting you down read a book called ...The right to useful unemployment ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

If this isn't trolling, then you should be ashamed of yourself. Hope someone shops you soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

The dole is OK in this country, better than the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

2K a week as a painter, get the fkg boat, semi skilled trade never make that money unless your the boss (pre 08!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Well done. You have managed to possibly get yourself f**ked over. Your just a fully pledged parasite this country can do without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

2k a week? You painting Da Vinci replicas and selling them as originals is it? That is fraud alright, you awful man.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Your being greedy if your doing this? Do you not realise the money your getting from the social welfare is borrowed money? Your not entitled to it really. This in reality, is the government bailing Irish people out, who are in most desperate of circumstances financially after losing their job. Try living in another country within Europe mate. Some of these other countries don't even have social welfare schemes, like we do

The Irish Government proposes cutting welfare again because so much is being borrowed to pay for all this. Your stealing from us as well mate. We suffer because of people like you! The Government of Ireland isn't perfect but i wonder were i be with no income at all to speak of? All that i have left to say to you mate is grow up and be a man. Your earning a living, so stop been a welfare cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

You deserve to be beaten severely you thieving ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Your being greedy if your doing this? Do you not realise the money your getting from the social welfare is borrowed money? Your not entitled to it really. This in reality, is the government bailing Irish people out, who are in most desperate of circumstances financially after losing their job. Try living in another country within Europe mate. Some of these other countries don't even have social welfare schemes, like we do

The Irish Government proposes cutting welfare again because so much is being borrowed to pay for all this. Your stealing from us as well mate. We suffer because of people like you! The Government of Ireland isn't perfect but i wonder were i be with no income at all to speak of? All that i have left to say to you mate is grow up and be a man. Your earning a living, so stop been a welfare cheat.

Oh yeah he knows he is being greedy but his no will come up fairly soon id say especially after the clever person posted here that he is cheating the state. Pity this thing doesn't give the IP address but do board's keep ref of IP address of users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

i'm sure hes just trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

maxfresh wrote: »
    i'm sure hes just trolling

Or worse!!!:eek:
    I had been smoking salvia that day and the curtain between relaity and fantasy was blowing in the breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

Horrible, I hope I manage to get off it soon. The conditions imposed on everyone to combat welfare fraud are the toughest for me rather than the amount.

UCD recently published a discussion paper titled 'The Experience of Unemployment in Ireland: A Thematic Analysis' that's worth looking at if you're genuinely interested in how people on the welfare are coping: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201116.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

... is soul-destroying bullshít. Especially when you're trying to get back into the workplace after illness. Former illness = red flag for employers, especially as there are tons of people with no history of illness also out of work.

SIGH!!!! :-/

I get interviews... that always end with "Well, we have a good few other candidates to interview..." :( I've been avoiding family gathering for a while now because I get well-meaning and not so well-meaning inquiries about my employment status. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

Literally a week ago you protested how Irish people "are not doing the best compared to just about everywhere else on earth i've been" with one of your reasons being that " Irish people don't put their own local team first". But yet you have no problem taking advantage of whatever benefits you can get from this country while working at the same time? I call shenannigans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

bigneacy wrote: »
    None if your business what he does with his dole payment. Would you prefer he lived hand to mouth weekly and stayed on the live register?

If someone chooses to spend €18 a week on beans and bread and save the other €170 it's absolutely no concern of yours.

He saved what he could and got himself back on his feet. Fair play to him, he made sure he is no longer a burden to the state. Your attitude stinks.

This got 168 likes, this is why I spend less and less time on this forum, have to wonder about a lot of the folks around here.

Saving on the dole..... hurray! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

guitarzero wrote: »
    This got 168 likes, this is why I spend less and less time on this forum, have to wonder about a lot of the folks around here.

What do you suggest he do with the money,give it back to the DSW? It's the system is flawed,you can't blame that individual poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

guitarzero wrote: »

What do you suggest he do with the money,give it back to the DSW? It's the system is flawed,you can't blame that individual poster.

Give it to me.

I will distribute it fairly among needy publicans throughout cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What about people with Aniexty and Depression disorders, or bad addiction problems claiming the dole. Its not like they dont want to work, its that they feel they arent able to function in a working environment. Im sure this problem is alot bigger than whats been mentioned in the thread so far. I know some people so depressed they wont even sign on the dole.

And what about people on the dole who arent "working" but have other incomes such as grinding online poker and similar stuff for hours each day. They make decent money per week and get another 190 euro on top of that, not to mention things like rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

My experience of joblessness so far.
    • Lose job
    • Sign on
    • Look for work in any field that will take me
    • Look into up-skilling with FÁS after 1 month of not much luck getting interviews, never mind job offers.
    • Start 4 month FÁS course.
    • 2 months pass and get call from FÁS asking me to come into an interview to weigh up training options. I inform them I am already on a full-time blended learning course. They inform me that I can't be on dole and do that course, despite the fact that I quadruple-checked it before signing up.
    • I withdraw from course, in order to protect my only source of income.
    • 2 more months pass. Get call from DSW asking why I didn't finish the course. DSW inform me that FÁS were incorrect to have forced me to withdraw.
    • Fast forward a few more months, I get a call from a company employed by the government to asses the "performance" of FÁS. Poor lad who is only doing his job gets an earful.
    This country is in serious trouble. You think it's bad now? I'm gettin the hell outta here as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I saw the thread title I started singing it to the tune of "Life on Your Own" by the Human League in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Well I'm gona drag up this slightly old thread to say I got a job 2 weeks ago, back of the net..:D:D, keep looking folks theres a few bits out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Unless you have debts then dole living is far too easy.

The people finding it tough are the newly unemployed. Not the layabouts on it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bryaner wrote: »
    Well I'm gona drag up this slightly old thread to say I got a job 2 weeks ago, back of the net..:D:D, keep looking folks theres a few bits out there..

Well done , sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

mattjack wrote: »
    Well done , sir.

Thanks so much dude, its not my life choice for a job but theres money in the bank every Thursday and signed off the dole so happy days..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

woodoo wrote: »
    Unless you have debts then dole living is far too easy.

The people finding it tough are the newly unemployed. Not the layabouts on it for years.

It's really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greenshoes88

i hate the dole life :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Keep the chin up, I have been there in my time, and I genuinly hope things get better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Yep, I agree its getting pretty depressing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I love being on the dole. Don't want to be a slave for some greedy bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

im doing an internship.... still technically dole but i like having something to do during the day... the extra €50 is also nice.... hopefully ill get a full time job out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greenshoes88

hi, does anyone know what I should do? I am looking for work and as my partner works part time, my payment was dropped. we are awaiting rent supplement. We are on the verge of breaking up yet I don't have enough money to move out as the cwo won't pay a deposit. I wanna get a course to help me get the skills for a job but I will be down money as even on a fas course I will still get the same amount of money. I am confused as to what to do. I can't afford to save up yet I can't take this much longer. Would I still get paid if I stay in a hostel? any help appreciated, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Saved your dole?
    No offence but thats the best argument I have heard to prove that the level of dole payment is too high.

My mate, let's call him Neil because his name's Neil, saved up money on the scratcher, too. And it's just the usual E188; he doesn't claim rent allowance or extras like this, despite renting a gaff.

In about 9 months, he's saved enough to pay his way into a course which he's just started, and is moving gaff out to near Booterstown. He also goes out drinking 2-3 times per week, cinema, and can also buy games for his xbox 360.

He's always been frugal, but this is... amazing. He is, however, painstakingly single.

Dole too high? Nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

No he sounds like he made a killing selling weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Brokentime wrote: »
    My mate, let's call him Neil because his name's Neil, saved up money on the scratcher, too. And it's just the usual E188; he doesn't claim rent allowance or extras like this, despite renting a gaff.

In about 9 months, he's saved enough to pay his way into a course which he's just started, and is moving gaff out to near Booterstown. He also goes out drinking 2-3 times per week, cinema, and can also buy games for his xbox 360.

He's always been frugal, but this is... amazing. He is, however, painstakingly single.

Dole too high? Nah

Thats the point, there's no incentive to go back to work.

Don't know how many times i've heard "It wouldn't be worth my while" so yeh, its too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Brokentime wrote: »

Dole too high? Nah

lol, cool story bro.

Needs more dragons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

life on the dole is tough,its not easy,if i could have a choice between a job and the dole i would obviously pick a job anyday of the week.

Advertisement