Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

I was put on partial jobseekers allowance for 6 months while my job went from full-time to part-time. Then the inevitable ending came and I was made redundant. Luckily, I got some redundancy money. Took a look at the employment landscape in the country at the time (early 2010) and didn't see much hope. Used my redundancy to move abroad. It was bad back in 2010, but must be worse now.

I really feel bad for people, especially the long-term unemployed. I'd be banging my fu*king head off the wall. My mate is an example that there can be some relative comfort in the dole, depending on how you budget, and assuming you get a full dole etc.. But this is no substitute for having something to get up to in the morning. Chin up and keep trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I like it when superquinn have Jam doughnuts.

Needs more dragons.

Sorry, did I forget to mention your ma?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Brokentime wrote: »
    Sorry, did I forget to mention your ma?

:rolleyes:

Indeed. It was the one thing you forgot to mention in your made up bull**** story. Everything else was there though. Drinking all the time, buying games, moving house. It was classic horse**** through and through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Life on the dole is sole destroying any one who says ohh yeah sitting there playing your xbox or ps3 is short sighted. being on the dole is utterly depressing, confidence shattering... The money doesn't go far, and the life style is utterly sole destroying.

If people think for one minute that its fun and games there lying or very short sited being on the dole is ground hog day, its depressing you sit around looking at jobs.ie hopping that a job you can do comes up...You apply writea covering letter enficising your stronger point then you get an interview you sell you're self. But then oo you've no experience, some one comes a long with better experience... Thus is the circle of unemployment..

People on here recon theres loads of jobs out there. There is but you've got to have experience and qualifications the other big problem is the government rant doing anything to create jobs or training because there cutting back....

Serosuly ground hog day for the unemployment id fvccking sole distorting any of the course they run are ****.

• Advertisement

Indeed. It was the one thing you forgot to mention in your made up bull**** story. Everything else was there though. Drinking all the time, buying games, moving house. It was classic horse**** through and through.

I have no problem going 12 rounds on this. Not a shred of that is made up. He's moving gaff (renting) to be nearer the course (which is in Bray). He buys second-hand games for the xbox. He drinks on the cheap in bars with discount nights. Did I leave anything out this time? Devil's in the details, tool

I have no problem going 12 rounds on this. Not a shred of that is made up. He's moving gaff (renting) to be nearer the course (which is in Bray). He buys second-hand games for the xbox. He drinks on the cheap in bars with discount nights. Did I leave anything out this time? Devil's in the details, tool

Indeed it is, and not one of those additional details was given in your previous posting.

So what you are saying is "the guy is on the dole, so takes all the cheapest options he can", when your original post was implying he did all the normal things.
    In about 9 months, he's saved enough to pay his way into a course which he's just started, and is moving gaff out to near Booterstown. He also goes out drinking 2-3 times per week, cinema, and can also buy games for his xbox 360.

So basically the chap could be drinking for a tenner and buying games for a fiver. lol

Well done mate, you basically admitted to lies of omission in order to make it seem like you had more of a point than you do.

Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yep but thats one person! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

life on the dole is tough,its not easy,if i could have a choice between a job and the dole i would obviously pick a job anyday of the week.

So what's stopping you from getting any job that's out there to get you off the dole? Of course you have a choice.

So basically the chap could be drinking for a tenner and buying games for a fiver. lolCongrats.

Yes.
    Well done mate, you basically admitted to lies of omission in order to make it seem like you had more of a point than you do.

Congrats.

No. You just imagined it was hyperbole simply because you couldn't accept that someone with some willpower, budgeting skills and intelligence could do this.

What I said: "He also goes out drinking 2-3 times per week, cinema, and can also buy games for his xbox 360. "

What you read: "For drinking 2-3 times per week, you imagined Leeson Street wine bars. For xbox games, you imagined it was top shelf e60 new releases. For cinema, maybe premieres in the Savoy."

So, again, just to clarify, in what way was my post, as you put it, "... implying he did all the normal things"? Where's the exaggeration?

Why would I exaggerate something like this? Sure, he still can 'relatively' do some of the old things he used to do for enjoyment, but do you think he's happy? Do you think, really, despite what some jokers say on here, anyone on the dole is happy? Maybe, in his free time, I could suggest my mate be a Moderator here, because he'd do a damn sight better than someone like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

My mate, let's call him Neil The Dragon slayer because his name's Neil and he is a dragon Slayer, saved up money on the scratcher, too. And it's just the usual E188 Plus any money he finds from the dragons den after he bravely kills big blue fierce dragons with his sword of dragon blood; he doesn't claim rent allowance becouse he is too busy sharping his swords and practising his magical spells or extras like this, despite renting a gaff. I think this is becouse dragons might think less of him

In about 9 months, he's killed 30 dragons as well as 5 goblins and saved a princess from an ugly looking oger called shreck and bravely saved enough to pay his way into a course which he's just started (course is in business. I think he want to know how to sell dragon scales. Make a little money on the side. You know yourself), and is moving gaff out to near Booterstown becouse booterstown is over run with dragons. Worst in europe i hear. He also goes out drinking 2-3 times per week when he has no dragons to kill, cinema (funny story. This one time he brought the girlfriend to the cinema and a dragon came up on screen. He jumped to his feet and cut the dragon down only to find that it was just a screen. He was very embarrased. Had to pay for a new screen. The crowd was not impressed at all. That is thanks for ya), and can also buy games for his xbox 360, becouse he can practise new dragon killing skills on the games.

He's always been frugal, but this is... amazing. He is, however, painstakingly single becouse his girlfriend broke up with him after the whole cinema incident.

Dole too high? Nahlol,
    cool story bro.

Needs more dragons.

Better????

Better????

Dude, you gots to lay off the Skyrim :D

Next thing you'll tell me is my buddy shot a skanger in the knee with an arrow in the dole office on Parnell Street :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Better????

Neil sounds like a f***ing badass!!

Neil sounds like a f***ing badass!!

n4fbf6357eb746.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Snowie wrote: »
    Life on the dole is sole destroying any one who says ohh yeah sitting there playing your xbox or ps3 is short sighted. being on the dole is utterly depressing, confidence shattering... The money doesn't go far, and the life style is utterly sole destroying.

You could take your shoes off, that might help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

srsly78 wrote: »
    You could take your shoes off, that might help?

Then it would be sock destroying.

Yes.

No. You just imagined it was hyperbole simply because you couldn't accept that someone with some willpower, budgeting skills and intelligence could do this.

What I said: "He also goes out drinking 2-3 times per week, cinema, and can also buy games for his xbox 360. "

What you read: "For drinking 2-3 times per week, you imagined Leeson Street wine bars. For xbox games, you imagined it was top shelf e60 new releases. For cinema, maybe premieres in the Savoy."

So, again, just to clarify, in what way was my post, as you put it, "... implying he did all the normal things"? Where's the exaggeration?

Why would I exaggerate something like this? Sure, he still can 'relatively' do some of the old things he used to do for enjoyment, but do you think he's happy? Do you think, really, despite what some jokers say on here, anyone on the dole is happy? Maybe, in his free time, I could suggest my mate be a Moderator here, because he'd do a damn sight better than someone like you.

Nice dance, I believe it's called the back-track. Let me summarise this entire post : *start with thinly veiled ad-hominem* "I know I left out loads of details but you should have known what I meant." *Ad-hominem to finish*.

Nice dance, I believe it's called the back-track. Let me summarise this entire post : *start with thinly veiled ad-hominem* "I know I left out loads of details but you should have known what I meant." *Ad-hominem to finish*.

Wow, after a full night's sleep, I wake up and you're still going on about this. Too much free time; are you on the dole?

But yes, I'm appealing to your prejudices, not your intellect. The latter would be too hard to find

Now, you self-absorbed douche, why don't you let some people with something relevant to say carry on this thread? I still believe my comment was regarding someone I know who is on the dole; yours wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

I really feel bad for people, especially the long-term unemployed.

what? even those that chose the dole when there was tons of work in ireland a la celtic tiger era??? you feel bad for them??? wha?

• Advertisement

flanum wrote: »
    what? even those that chose the dole when there was tons of work in ireland a la celtic tiger era??? you feel bad for them??? wha?

You know what, I'm not going to get dragged into another argument on this thread.

And it may be a blind spot of mine, but people like that, I don't consider them to be "long-term unemployed". They're more like the terminally unfit-to-work, or are just plain lazy.

Anyone who willfully chooses the dole over work is low. They're the ones that propagate much of the bad press that all unemployed get. Those who are unemployed due to losing their jobs and those who choose the dole should be completely separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There are lazy cnuts who didn't work even at the height of the Celtic Tiger false bubble boom, but I have no doubt that the vast majority of people on the dole today would gladly take a job if it was anything for which they were even remotely suited and taking it did not mean they had to work their arses off for a near-starvation wage, given the cost of everything in Ireland, including the cost of travelling long distances to a job.:rolleyes:

As someone who has never drawn the dole for a day, has paid a hell of a lot of tax down through the decades and still works (and pays taxes) despite having a good contributory pension, I find it sickening that the unfortunate people whose jobs have disappeared largely due to the incompetence of our politicians and those in positions of real power in the economy now have to face the additional problem of what to do with their time.

And put up with the carping attitude of those who are still employed and like to look down their noses at "dolers". I suspect that what prompts this penny-looking-down-on-a-ha'penny vilification of the less-fortunate is a sub-conscious awareness of the precariousness of their own position and fear that the axe will eventually fall on them as well.:eek:

After all, many of the now-unemployed have worked for decades, and indeed put work so much first that they had few other interests, which might give them something to occupy themselves with now. Work was a very big part of their lives, and it is difficult and can take a long time to fill the vacumm that is now left.:cool:

I suppose it's an individual thing. I know unemployed people, who have little or any chance of finding a job, but enjoy long walks, go fishing, use the library and read. They still get up early in the morning and keep themselves active, still hoping for a job that may never come, whilst others just sink into depression and inertia.

But for those of you who have a job, don't adopt such a smirking, disparaging attitude to the unemployed. What goes round comes round, and it could be your turn next.:rolleyes:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I suspect that what prompts this penny-looking-down-on-a-ha'penny vilification of the less-fortunate is a sub-conscious awareness of the precariousness of their own position and fear that the axe will eventually fall on them as well.:eek:

I suppose being in this position, asking yourself "if" or "when" it will happen (get the axe) can be almost as big a mindkiller as being unemployed. Nobody likes to live in fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Some take advantage..some dont, way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

mickrock wrote: »
    Hard work never killed anybody...
    Karoshi..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

mickrock wrote: »
    Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Indeed, and resting is likewise responsible for remarkably few fatalities.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Going to the cinema? Drinking? Saving up for plane tickets? All while on Social Welfare? The country needs to have a little sit down and discuss what social welfare is there for, but I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't meant to provide drinks and cinema tickets.

I'll provide an example and an anecdotal to illustrate and provide further emphasis of my point through hyperbole -

When I finished the leaving cert, I went to college. Then I went an got a professional qualification. During all this time (Celtic Tiger and Recession), I worked in pubs, shops and restaurants. You know what? I never began to contemplate signing on during the 8 odd weeks between my last exam and my first job offer. At 22, I was lucky to still have parents and after years of menial labour and study, I got a job to pay for cinema tickets and drinks. Isn't that why we study - to better ourselves and our prospects, to enrich our lives? Meanwhile, John over there is claiming the social and getting rent allowance ETC while his unmarried partner, Mary gets FIS and children's allowance, the social, rent allowance ETC. John and Mary are upset because they can only go to the cinema so many times before getting bored. Yes, its merely and anacdotal, hyperbolic example. But equally true - Welfare. should. not. entitle. you. to. luxuries.

A modern democratic society cannot have people starving on the streets, so welfare was introduced. It was designed to prevent starvation and provide a SUBSISTANT standard of living. These cries of "I'm bored on the dole" are met by most with patronising faux sympathy, and rightly so.

As for the cries of "Yew can't cut me dole, I need it to live", I can and have lived on less than €188 but the point of second point noted above is that it simply isn't €188 euro - there is multiple accruing benefits that accompany that payment.

In conclusion, I completely agree with the posters stating dole should be cut. Dole life is hard. Yeah it is but it should be harder.

i was on the dole back in the early 90's. i have been employed since the late 90's in a good job, that i love.

there is nothing great about being on the dole, its a ****, soul destroying thing for anyone that wants to work.
    yea its ok money but anyone with any selfworth wants to work.

i have family and friends that are on the dole/social for the last few years. nobody chooses that life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Going to the cinema? Drinking? Saving up for plane tickets? All while on Social Welfare? The country needs to have a little sit down and discuss what social welfare is there for, but I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't meant to provide drinks and cinema tickets.
    use they can only go to the cinema so many times before getting bored. Yes, its merely and anacdotal, hyperbolic example. But equally true - Welfare. should. not. entitle. you. to. luxuries.

As for the cries of "Yew can't cut me dole, I need it to live", I can and have lived on less than €188 but the point of second point noted above is that it simply isn't €188 euro - there is multiple accruing benefits that accompany that payment.

In conclusion, I completely agree with the posters stating dole should be cut. Dole life is hard. Yeah it is but it should be harder.

I'm sorry to start this thread off again, but could not resist replying to this insolent little pig.

1. I have been unemployed for a few months now, and the first time I will be going out for a drink (literally A drink, as in one) in those months will be next week - at my boyfriend's expense, not my own.
    2. I haven't once been to the cinema in that time or any other events for that matter.
    3. Not everyone is on 188e, a huge majority like myself are stuck on 100. No rent allowance, no medical card etc. just 100.
    4. A lot of people nowadays DO need the dole to live.
    5. To those of you using the UK as an example, having seen a news programme about welfare in Britain on tv, I can assure you they have it a tad bit better than Ireland, considering every person on welfare has their rent paid, which is not the case here. Of anyone I know on the dole, I don't know one person that was granted rent allowance.
    6. Saving is extremely hard on the dole, and I can only presume the people that managed it are on 188e or higher.... More power to them, because it is extremely hard to do, and a lot better than staying here. There are people that give out when you're on the dole, yet they are also giving out that this man has saved and got himself out of here. I suppose some people are never happy.
    7. I have done nothing but look for work, I have done a FAS course (tried to do more than one about nine months later), but I was not allowed and told that I was lazy for not getting a job and in not so blunt language where to go. I have applied to companies/businesses ASKING them to job bridge me even while there were none advertised. I have next to harassed some places with my C.V. to the point they have just stopped replying (the few that replied in the first place)
    8. I absolutely HATE seeing friends, and do anything to avoid it, because they are all fortunate enough to either have their parents pay for college, or they have had their parents pay for them to emigrate. I see some of them pissing it away and it destroys me to no end, because I have tried for the last three months to get on a course, to no avail. I also tend to avoid going home to family when I can, because it is always a case of asking about employment etc, and it is downright embarrassing when the best you have to give is not enough.

I cannot wait for the day people like you get knocked down a peg or two, then you will realise that we are not all scroungers, living the life of luxury. It is FAR from it. This is coming from someone that moved out at 17, and has worked ever since up until a while ago. I knew there was some unfair stereotypes regarding the dole, I am ashamed to be on the dole a lot of days, thanks to people like yourself. Count yourself lucky you can afford to emigrate and go to college, because not everyone can do that. It is easy to judge when you're living the good life, get back to me in a few years when you inevitably hit a hard patch, see how funny you are then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

CuriousG
    were you kicked out of home at age of 17 or decided to work instead of studying?

I have been unemployed for a few months now, and the first time I will be going out for a drink (literally A drink, as in one) in those months will be next week - at my boyfriend's expense, not my own.

Because of this point i think any person should be completely taken off the dole if this is on your priority list no1.Its such culture where people cant think of anything better to spend or enjoy their time then drinking,add few smokes,sex,junk food and why bother for a job :D (i exaggerated the last sentence a bit but thats true for most. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

scamalert wrote: »
    CuriousG
    were you kicked out of home at age of 17 or decided to work instead of studying?

I have been unemployed for a few months now, and the first time I will be going out for a drink (literally A drink, as in one) in those months will be next week - at my boyfriend's expense, not my own.

Because of this point i think any person should be completely taken off the dole if this is on your priority list no1.Its such culture where people cant think of anything better to spend or enjoy their time then drinking,add few smokes,sex,junk food and why bother for a job :D (i exaggerated the last sentence a bit but thats true for most. )

Wow way to totally not get her point. Those weren't a list of priorities. They were just a list of counter points.

CuriousG

I was 'politely asked' to leave home when I was lucky enough to be offered a job and accommodation at 17 (when I was already working at the same time, for absolutely **** money, over half of which I gave back to my parents), three weeks after doing my exams. My family were REALLY struggling, and the only people that got presents for XMAS in my house were my two little brothers, who are both under 8, definitely no luxuries there. I think I maybe got a tenner for my 18th birthday off my parents, I didn't complain at that one bit, because for god sakes, we weren't bloody rich like you're trying to make out. I practically brought up my siblings because my parents were working their asses off at not very good paying jobs to keep us afloat, I hadn't much choice but to leave. That said, both of my parents have been working since they were 16 paying taxes, and are now in their forties after not claiming a penny back. I was hoping to go onto college that Sept, but it just did not happen, thanks to many factors, number one being money. A three bedroomed house for a growing family of six is not very practical, and I did not sign on the dole till two years after that, what is your point? I would have went to the college in the morning if circumstances allowed.

I literally only mentioned the drink thing first, because the was one of the most highlighted points in this. Obviously, you completely missed what I was trying to say there that it is NOT true the it is a priority for people on the dole, rather, it is a very rare treat, unlike what most of you tar it as. Well done.

I don't smoke, I have not gotten a take away in I don't know how long (I would be that way regardless of being on the dole, just personal preference) I think I have already highlighted my efforts for getting a job, not that I have to do so for you or anyone except SW, but I threw it in to prove a point. I literally have owned the same three pairs of jeans for the last two years, and I got new ones last week....... Cast offs from my relative, and that was like bloody christmas to me, because I didn't have to walk around looking like a tatty tramp in ripped jeans anymore. I limit food to 20e a week, which is grand thanks to Aldi, but taking into consideration esb (I don't have sky, or any tv channels, just a portable tv given to me when I moved out that was in the attic.) and rent, along with things such as printing cvs, household things, etc. there is nothing left for the luxuries you are convinced unemployed people have.

It's people like you that are the reason for some people in this world who cannot take being on the dole for fear of being ashamed, and end their lives, or pretend they are going to work everyday rather than be seen as signing on (which I know a few who have done that) etc. You have obviously never hit a hard patch in your life, and I hope someday you do. You'll eat your words by the bucketload.

I don't think a person as ignorant as you has the right to judge anyone, on the dole or otherwise. I could go on and tell you a lot more things people like me and others have to deal with being on the dole, but I don't think it would even get through to your thick skull regardless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

CuriousG I dont judge you or anyone on the dole,I have family members on the dole and can see the effects of degrading from day to day with little to no hope in finding a job :cool: But also i know people that use every advantage of dole/child benefit/rent allowance /heating ,while im busting my head for 10h job with minimum wage and 0 future of advancing in career.Guess that's where the anger stems for most people towards the ones on the dole.Even more in this climate its the employers that use this advantage to rather drop 3 jobs on one person instead of hiring someone as it is in place where i work and i believe many more,and yet government decides most stupidest decisions and plans to get people working for free.So if theres anyone to blame are those who put whole economy into recession.

CuriousG I dont judge you or anyone on the dole,I have family members on the dole and can see the effects of degrading from day to day with little to no hope in finding a job :cool: But also i know people that use every advantage of dole/child benefit/rent allowance /heating ,while im busting my head for 10h job with minimum wage and 0 future of advancing in career.Guess that's where the anger stems for most people towards the ones on the dole.Even more in this climate its the employers that use this advantage to rather drop 3 jobs on one person instead of hiring someone as it is in place where i work and i believe many more,and yet government decides most stupidest decisions and plans to get people working for free.So if theres anyone to blame are those who put whole economy into recession.

Sounded very judgemental to me, and if your family has it as hard as most other people do, you should know better than to rant at people for having 'luxuries' - it could not be further from the truth.

Of course there are people that take advantage, those people aren't exclusive to the dole, they are everywhere in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 j1d2c3

Obviously there are those that struggle with what they're paid and those that are paid far too much. Of the real(not internet) cases I've seen the vast majority can afford a fairly lavish lifestyle without any real motivation to seek work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tonymantana

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dave24dub

j1d2c3 wrote: »
    Obviously there are those that struggle with what they're paid and those that are paid far too much. Of the real(not internet) cases I've seen the vast majority can afford a fairly lavish lifestyle without any real motivation to seek work.

nonsense!! i was working for years as an electrican and im unemployed now like most others in my trade and the the dole rate is barely enough to keep the car going never mind living lavishly!!

"Sure the dole is barely enough to pay my mortgage..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Its the high minimum wage that has really screwed up this country. I know lots of farmers that would hire many many workers if they were a bit cheaper. Instead people languish on the dole and employers cant create jobs.

• Advertisement

Noone will work for lower wages since the dole is so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

srsly78 wrote: »
    Noone will work for lower wages since the dole is so high.

Surely, those lads on dole of €100 a week would work for €250 a week if allowed?

arctictree wrote: »
    Surely, those lads on dole of €100 a week would work for €250 a week if allowed?

250 a week seems like millions to me, I remember when I done my FAS course I was getting 190 a week. I felt like the richest person going then, and if it wasn't for saving up that allowance, I wouldn't be living in an apartment now, because I had to pay for that deposit out of my own pocket (and obviously my boyfriend paid too) on 190.

In general, people on 188 may be nice and comfy, but not all of us have that, so bear it in mind before tarring us with the same brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Esri criticise imf after new report shows you are not better off on the dole.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2012/0927/esri-says-welfare-data-misinterpreted.html

dave24dub wrote: »
    nonsense!! i was working for years as an electrican and im unemployed now like most others in my trade and the the dole rate is barely enough to keep the car going never mind living lavishly!!

Then obviously as I mentioned too, you're one of the those who are struggling. I don't know you, I was speaking about people I do. For example, one friend, while on the dole was able to go to south africa for two and a half weeks with Dole savings. I consider that kind of lifestyle lavish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

j1d2c3 wrote: »
    Then obviously as I mentioned too, you're one of the those who are struggling. I don't know you, I was speaking about people I do. For example, one friend, while on the dole was able to go to south africa for two and a half weeks with Dole savings. I consider that kind of lifestyle lavish.

Your friend obviously isn't using the dole for his day to day living and expenses and has a secondary income.

Your friend obviously isn't using the dole for his day to day living and expenses and has a secondary income.

No secondary income, had rent allowance, After day to day could afford to save enough for the holiday. Similar I presume to the guy earlier in thread who saved his to go to Australia. I'm not saying people in general aren't struggling to get by on the dole, I'm just referring to people I know. I'm not purporting to be an expert on the matter just relaying information I'm aware of on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Its the high minimum wage that has really screwed up this country. I know lots of farmers that would hire many many workers if they were a bit cheaper. Instead people languish on the dole and employers cant create jobs.

Surley you jest!! Farmers would have workers living in sheds at -16c for €1.00 a day if they had a chance, thank fcuk for min wage..:rolleyes:

Its the high minimum wage that has really screwed up this country.

No, it's not. I wish you'd just think before you type. It can't be that difficult.
    arctictree wrote:
    I know lots of farmers that would hire many many workers if they were a bit cheaper. Instead people languish on the dole and employers cant create jobs.

STOP THE PRESSES!

This just in: business owners would have more workers if they could get away with paying them practically nothing.

You don't say! The reason for this is the workers wouldn't have the law to protect them from exploitation. It's only in the last century or two that 'employment' has stopped being synonymous with 'slavery'.

Your attitude sounds like you feel as though employers are entitled to have workers doing their bidding. That's not how it works. It's through the work of the ordinary employees that the boss earns far more. I work hard and - while I don't see a cut of this lavish salary - I expect a fair compensation for my time, effort and skill; enough for me to be rewarded for what I put in by enjoying my free time.

The only reason anyone ever argues against a minimum wage is so employers can reap more profits and shunt the workload onto their bigger, lower-paid workforce. Sounds far more selfish and parasitic than a disillusioned, uneducated person claiming the dole. You must see the irony in making this argument and then accusing people on the dole (not very much money) of 'languishing' (which I don't think means what you think it means).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Your attitude sounds like you feel as though employers are entitled to have workers doing their bidding. That's not how it works.

Well actually yes it is.

Employment at its core works on the principle of: Labour in, Money out.

It is up to the employer to dictate what work gets done, not the other way around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement