Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Well actually yes it is.

Employment at its core works on the principle of: Labour in, Money out.

It is up to the employer to dictate what work gets done, not the other way around.

Good luck setting up a productive and innovative company with that philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

srsly78 wrote: »
    Noone will work for lower wages since the dole is so high.

cost of living is so high..

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Well actually yes it is.

Employment at its core works on the principle of: Labour in, Money out.

It is up to the employer to dictate what work gets done, not the other way around.

No, an employer only 'dictates' so long as their workers go along with it. The workforce of a company - or a section thereof - can refuse to do whatever they want.

I presume now you're thinking 'and the employer can sack them all'.

Of course, and then they can watch their business collapse as nothing gets done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can't imagine anything worse than being on the dole. I'm very lucky to have a job obivously, and I put away whenever possible, don't waste it all if possible, just in case, I can invest in things that might come in handy future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

It's a shame people think the minimum wage protects the vulnerable. It doesn't the exact opposite, it causes poverty. On the surface you'd think it is good but the world isn't always that simple.

http://mises.org/daily/6097/The-Crippling-Nature-of-MinimumWage-Laws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cloud493 wrote: »
    I can't imagine anything worse than being on the dole. I'm very lucky to have a job obivously.

really:confused: how about starving to death in sub-Saharan africa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Gauss wrote: »
    It's a shame people think the minimum wage protects the vulnerable. It doesn't the exact opposite, it causes poverty. On the surface you'd think it is good but the world isn't always that simple.

http://mises.org/daily/6097/The-Crippling-Nature-of-MinimumWage-Laws

It does not cause poverty, it protects people from it. But then I don't expect you to agree if you back up your argument with a link to an anarcho-capitalist website.
    I'm on another American website for crafters-Ravelry.com, where there are threads about how sh1t life is for low paid workers in that country-especially those in the service industries like retail, waitressing in restaurants... some of them are paid as little as $2 an hour minimum wage (depending in what State they live) and they have to make up the rest in tips.
    Many of them have to work 2 and 3 jobs just to put food on the table and have inadequate or NO health insurance meaning they are in a very vulnerable and insecure position financially and are open to abuse and exploitation by employers.

Is that the situation you'd like to see in Ireland? I certainly wouldn't. Minimum wage laws are there to protect workers from the kind of exploitation I read about on Ravelry and to ensure people have a living wage. Perhaps you might like to try a stint yourself working for peanuts, grovelling for tips in insecure employment like those people before you spout anarcho-capitalist propaganda.

[QUOTE=cloud493;80995860]I can't imagine anything worse than being on the dole. I'm very lucky to have a job obivously, and I put away whenever possible, don't waste it all if possible, just in case, I can invest in things that might come in handy future.[/QUOTE]

You're either not thinking this one through or you lead a very sheltered life! I can think of plenty of things way worse than life on the dole.

I was on the dole for quite a while before my current 'portfolio' working situation-self employment and part-time working.
    I have a few friends on the dole. I don't personally think it's a fulfilling life by any means and wouldn't want to be on it again but I never felt humiliated or demeaned on it. I have a right to draw the dole if I need it so I don't allow people who know nothing about my life and circumstances to dictate how I feel about my life.

I have two (single, it must be said) close friends who are on it for years-one for about 15 years! because they can't live on what they earn and they manage ok. In fact they both go off on holidays and trips away to far flung places like Mexico every few months and European capitals every few weeks.
    * cue howls of indignation and horror from the gainfully employed here :pac:

It doesn't bother me what they do with their dole, it's not my business and I don't begrudge them their relatively easy lives. They have different priorities and interests in life to most people and travel is important to them so good luck to them.

Or, I don't want to take hand outs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I currently touch myself a lot more than I used to when I was working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

CuriousG wrote: »
    250 a week seems like millions to me, I remember when I done my FAS course I was getting 190 a week. I felt like the richest person going then, and if it wasn't for saving up that allowance, I wouldn't be living in an apartment now, because I had to pay for that deposit out of my own pocket (and obviously my boyfriend paid too) on 190.

In general, people on 188 may be nice and comfy, but not all of us have that, so bear it in mind before tarring us with the same brush.

So your boyfriend who you live with works, Is that why you only receive €100/week as you are assessed on his income?

Not really drinking out of jam jar stage yet then if there is another income in the household

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Greentopia wrote: »
    You're either not thinking this one through or you lead a very sheltered life! I can think of plenty of things way worse than life on the dole.

I was on the dole for quite a while before my current 'portfolio' working situation-self employment and part-time working.
    I have a few friends on the dole. I don't personally think it's a fulfilling life by any means and wouldn't want to be on it again but I never felt humiliated or demeaned on it. I have a right to draw the dole if I need it so I don't allow people who know nothing about my life and circumstances to dictate how I feel about my life.

I have two (single, it must be said) close friends who are on it for years-one for about 15 years! because they can't live on what they earn and they manage ok. In fact they both go off on holidays and trips away to far flung places like Mexico every few months and European capitals every few weeks.

It doesn't bother me what they do with their dole, it's not my business and I don't begrudge them their relatively easy lives. They have different priorities and interests in life to most people and travel is important to them so good luck to them.

You say these two friends of yours are single?
    So I assume their SW payment is 188euro per week?

You also say they take long haul exotic holidays every few months, so that would be minimum 2 exotic holidays per annum with European city breaks every few weeks?

I hate to have to say it but............

"Ah here, leave it out"
    Do you really think anyone believes that???????????????

Smidge wrote: »
    You say these two friends of yours are single?
    So I assume their SW payment is 188euro per week?

You also say they take long haul exotic holidays every few months, so that would be minimum 2 exotic holidays per annum with European city breaks every few weeks?

I hate to have to say it but............

"Ah here, leave it out"
    Do you really think anyone believes that???????????????

You can believe it or not, it matters not to me; I'm just telling you what I know. I have no interest in making up stuff to complete strangers online, I promise you :)
    One of them takes more than 2 exotic holidays a year, he goes off every few months to different places. He's a non-national European living here for many years.

Yes, both are single, no kids. They're both visual artists and both lead rather unconventional lives-no cars, no computers or latest phones, gadgets etc., minimal living expenses, no expensive hobbies. One has rent allowance, the other doesn't need it as she's living in a family owned house rent free.

Their only living expenses are food-fresh wholesome food too not junk, small mobile bills, electricity-minimal as far as I can see, clothing and footwear, artist supplies, whatever toiletries or make-up they use, and a few drinks now and then. Neither are big drinkers. Neither smoke.
    Heating is a mix of gathered firewood for open fires and space heaters for their work rooms. But one of them has a studio in Dublin anyway (yes paid for out of dole money and if they manage to sell some work) so heat is included in that.

That's how they can afford to travel so much. One of them I know can save at least half their dole for that purpose.

Oh and they're not uneducated no hopers either, They're both from middle class backgrounds, both have degrees in fine art-one also has a philosophy degree from his home country.

EDIT-sorry, forgot to add-yes one of them gets full €188 plus rent allowance, and I'm not sure exactly but I know the other is on a slightly reduced rate-about €140/150 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I'm not going to do the howls of indignation thing at all. I'll just state that your friends are committing fraud by claiming that they are available for work, when clearly they are not, nor have any intentions of ever making themselves available for work.

If they wished to indulge in their different priorities and interests, then they should not expect the social welfare system to fund their lifestyle. I have different priorities and interests to my neighbour, yet I would not expect them to pay for me to go for my few drinks at the weekend.

The social welfare system is there to provide people who are unable to find work with the means to give themselves a basic standard of living- a roof over their heads and food on the table. It is not there to fund their lifestyle choices.

Your friends are a prime example of why there is a perception in society that people claiming social welfare do so as a lifestyle choice and not out of necessity.

I would not say good luck to a pair of miserable sponging airy fairy gits that think the world owes them a living. I would suggest that if they want to indulge their priorities or that travel is important to them, that they would seek to gain qualifications and employment in the area of travel, and pay for their own lifestyle decisions out of their own pocket.

I'd have liked to have ten kids, but because I wouldn't expect anyone else to pay for them or fund our lifestyle decisions, my wife and I came to the decision that at the moment we could only afford one child. Your friends could do with growing up and behaving like responsible adults, instead of living like the self-entitled minority.

They would gain greater control over their lives and not leave themselves at the mercy of the next budget that could see their income cut by as 30%. Not to mention the fact that when they get to retirement age, they'll be lucky enough to get as much as a bus pass to indulge their interest in travel, if that's not cut too!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Life on the dole.
    How is it for you?

Never been on the dole for more than a few months, hours are great; but pay is crap.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to do the howls of indignation thing at all. I'll just state that your friends are committing fraud by claiming that they are available for work, when clearly they are not, nor have any intentions of ever making themselves available for work.

No, they're not. Social welfare are cognisant of their situation and have no problem with it, I promise you. They're both self-employed officially-they show book keeping records of work sold, but as they sell so little work-not enough to live on by any means because of the high cost of living here, they're allowed to keep their dole and all ancillary benefits.
    It's not an unusual situation for artists in this country. I know plenty who do this.
    If they wished to indulge in their different priorities and interests, then they should not expect the social welfare system to fund their lifestyle. I have different priorities and interests to my neighbour, yet I would not expect them to pay for me to go for my few drinks at the weekend.

I would call it their life, not lifestyle but fine. That's your opinion. As I explained, the money doesn't go towards a lavish lifestyle, they're both naturally frugal and both reject consumerist lifestyles that require lots of money.
    The social welfare system is there to provide people who are unable to find work with the means to give themselves a basic standard of living- a roof over their heads and food on the table. It is not there to fund their lifestyle choices.

It's there for whatever people wish to use the money for. We don't get to decide what people spend their money on. And what is a basic standard of living for one may be something completely different to someone else.
    Your friends are a prime example of why there is a perception in society that people claiming social welfare do so as a lifestyle choice and not out of necessity.

I would not say good luck to a pair of miserable sponging airy fairy gits that think the world owes them a living. I would suggest that if they want to indulge their priorities or that travel is important to them, that they would seek to gain qualifications and employment in the area of travel, and pay for their own lifestyle decisions out of their own pocket.

Airy fairy gits? :D they're both lovely people as it happens and happier than most people I meet. Oh and they both work hard at something they both love-their art. Just because they can't live on the income from their work is not their fault. As I stated they both have degrees. Art for them, as craft work is for me, is not a job or a career, it's a vocation. It's their life work. They can't do anything else and would be miserable in any other occupation. I know that for certain.
    Your friends could do with growing up and behaving like responsible adults, instead of living like the self-entitled minority.

If being a responsible adult means working as a drone in some boring office job or factory with a huge mortgage around their necks, car payments, credit cards, loans, having to have the latest consumer toys, and 2 kids to feed then I think they'll pass on that.
    And from what I can see they're all the more happy for it.
    They would gain greater control over their lives and not leave themselves at the mercy of the next budget that could see their income cut by as 30%. Not to mention the fact that when they get to retirement age, they'll be lucky enough to get as much as a bus pass to indulge their interest in travel, if that's not cut too!

That's a fair point about leaving themselves open. They're aware of that though I think. As they live such simple frugal lives any cuts in welfare would just mean less travel for them as far as I can see anyway.
    They'll get the non-contributary OAP if it's still there I guess when they reach retirement age. And no-one can be sure of being secure in old age anyway, financially or health wise.
    I had an ex who's Dad died of a massive heat attack a few weeks after he took early retirement aged 56 after working in Waterford Crystal all his life.
    Life is unpredictable.

You can believe it or not, it matters not to me; I'm just telling you what I know. I have no interest in making up stuff to complete strangers online, I promise you :)
    One of them takes more than 2 exotic holidays a year, he goes off every few months to different places. He's a non-national European living here for many years.

Yes, both are single, no kids. They're both visual artists and both lead rather unconventional lives-no cars, no computers or latest phones, gadgets etc., minimal living expenses, no expensive hobbies. One has rent allowance, the other doesn't need it as she's living in a family owned house rent free.

Their only living expenses are food-fresh wholesome food too not junk, small mobile bills, electricity-minimal as far as I can see, clothing and footwear, artist supplies, whatever toiletries or make-up they use, and a few drinks now and then. Neither are big drinkers. Neither smoke.
    Heating is a mix of gathered firewood for open fires and space heaters for their work rooms. But one of them has a studio in Dublin anyway (yes paid for out of dole money and if they manage to sell some work) so heat is included in that.

That's how they can afford to travel so much. One of them I know can save at least half their dole for that purpose.

Oh and they're not uneducated no hopers either, They're both from middle class backgrounds, both have degrees in fine art-one also has a philosophy degree from his home country.

EDIT-sorry, forgot to add-yes one of them gets full €188 plus rent allowance, and I'm not sure exactly but I know the other is on a slightly reduced rate-about €140/150 I think.

You do know that rent allowance doesn't cover the entire amount of rent?
    So out of that 188 your friend would have to put a at least(and this is being very,very minimalistic)20 per week towards the rent.
    That leaves then with 168 euro per week and out of that they save half?

So they pay all their bills(and you do say they still have some bills even though you have minimised what bills they do have)on 84 euro per week?
    Clothe, feed, dress themselves and go to the pub on that?
    Okkkkaaaaay.

Not having a pop at you but anyone on here who genuinely believes that an adult can support themselves on 84 euro per week really needs to sit down and have a chat with themselves.

You do know that rent allowance doesn't cover the entire amount of rent?

Yes, I do.
    So out of that 188 your friend would have to put a at least(and this is being very,very minimalistic)20 per week towards the rent.
    That leaves then with 168 euro per week and out of that they save half?

Forgot to include what one of them has to pay towards their rent in my list of living expenses but yes, that's correct.
    So they pay all their bills(and you do say they still have some bills even though you have minimised what bills they do have)on 84 euro per week?
    Clothe, feed, dress themselves and go to the pub on that?
    Okkkkaaaaay.

Yes. The non-national doesn't go the the pub, drinks at home instead... or eats magic mushrooms he finds on his trips out the country :D. The other does but is a moderate drinker, but yes the rest is correct I think.
    They buy clothes when they're abroad, in Penny's or in second hand shops.
    Lots of good quality hand made items too though.
    Not having a pop at you but anyone on here who genuinely believes that an adult can support themselves on 84 euro per week really needs to sit down and have a chat with themselves.

That's ok, no offense taken. :) You'd probably have to know these people to understand how they live. If you know any artists/craftspeople/hippies who lead alternative lifestyles you may understand them a bit better. Edit-oh and they do sell pieces now and then so that supplements their income too.

The reason I take a certain amount of umbridge Greentopia is that I know people on the dole and NONE of the things you say your friends buy, do, and pay for are possible for the people I know so something most certainly does not add up here.

Its basic maths.

The people I know on the dole also live alternative lifestyles.
    Its alternative to the description of the life your friends have on the dole.
    I couldn't tell you the last time any of them was in a pub or bought a stitch of clothes for themselves.

Also, just about your point of them supplementing their dole by selling art?
    These people (and I am going to make no assumptions about what they a really declaring)are not good examples when discussing SW recipients imo.

I've done it with mostly a strict budget of €80 per week this year. It requires making sacrifices but it's doable. I say mostly because some weeks I'd manage with just €60 and others I might be bumping it up to €120. As long as your possessions are material you can always find a way to cut back, but if you've got pets or kids then you're in the truly unpredictable realm. You can still budget and plan, but I'd imagine it's much much harder. :(

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    I've done it with mostly a strict budget of €80 per week this year. It requires making sacrifices but it's doable. I say mostly because some weeks I'd manage with just €60 and others I might be bumping it up to €120. As long as your possessions are material you can always find a way to cut back, but if you've got pets or kids then you're in the truly unpredictable realm. You can still budget and plan, but I'd imagine it's much much harder. :(

Tbf the people I'm speaking about have families, but still cant believe anyone is going on exotic long hauls around the world on 80 quid a week.

You could live on 80 quid a week I guess, if it was only food/travel costs/luxuries you were counting.

Tbf the people I'm speaking about have families, but still cant believe anyone is going on exotic long hauls around the world on 80 quid a week.
    Ahh ok, my bad.
    Well I've been confined to this merry little Island but a person I knew who was a big flight enthusiast (he loved being in different types of Jet Planes!) would fly off-peak periods and pick the most bizarre flight itineraries to get the flights as cheap as possible.
    "So you're going Washington then?"
    "Yeah. Via Houston."
    "Sorry? Houston!?"
    "Yep."

Can't recall, but I think it was almost 25% less.
    He'd also get discounts because the airlines sort of loved his quirky routes.
    Expensive hobby, but each to their own. :)

No, they're not. Social welfare are cognisant of their situation and have no problem with it, I promise you. They're both self-employed officially-they show book keeping records of work sold, but as they sell so little work-not enough to live on by any means because of the high cost of living here, they're allowed to keep their dole and all ancillary benefits.

It's not an unusual situation for artists in this country. I know plenty who do this.

But just like any other business then GT, if they're not making enough money to be fully self sufficient, then they should give up what they are doing, and go into an area where they will be able to earn enough to be self sufficient and indulge their passion. They are clearly not talented enough to earn a living from what they do, and it is unfair of them to expect the government to fund their life decisions when they want to pick and choose what they want to do in life.

They shun capitalism in favor of idealism, but only when it suits them!
    It's there for whatever people wish to use the money for. We don't get to decide what people spend their money on. And what is a basic standard of living for one may be something completely different to someone else.

No, it's there for those people who are unable through no fault of their own, to enable them to have a basic standard of living, that is a roof over their heads and food on the table, not foreign holidays and trips abroad at the governments expense. We laud politicians for this behaviour, why should people on social welfare be allowed get away with it?

And we certainly DO get to decide what people spend their money on! If I give you €50, damn right I want to know what you'll spend it on. If I give the government money in taxes, then I get to vote in the politicians who I feel will make the best use of my taxes!
    Airy fairy gits? :D they're both lovely people as it happens and happier than most people I meet. Oh and they both work hard at something they both love-their art. Just because they can't live on the income from their work is not their fault. As I stated they both have degrees. Art for them, as craft work is for me, is not a job or a career, it's a vocation. It's their life work. They can't do anything else and would be miserable in any other occupation. I know that for certain.

I have no doubt you think they are lovely people in terms of their personality, but I find their behaviour incredibly selfish. The fact they have degrees doesn't mean a whole lot, only that they are well educated in their chosen field. I would be only happy too if other people were to fund my life decisions, it'd certainly make my life a lot easier, no wonder they're happy! I get that some would think that the arts are a vocation, but if you choose that vocation, you should not expect then that people who are "gainfully employed" as you put it, should fund their lifestyle. I have a great appreciation for the arts, but an artist should aspire to be funded by a patronage, those who are willing to appreciate their efforts, not those who have never even seen their work!

I understand that they would be miserable in any other occupation, but that is why I said they need to grow up, life can be harsh and we do not get to pick and choose what we like and don't like, all we can do is plan as best we can for eventualities that we can control, and adapt to situations outside our control.

If being a responsible adult means working as a drone in some boring office job or factory with a huge mortgage around their necks, car payments, credit cards, loans, having to have the latest consumer toys, and 2 kids to feed then I think they'll pass on that.
    And from what I can see they're all the more happy for it.

Of course they'll pass on that, but they'll have their hand out for money when it suits them! They have no problem with me working in my boring office job as long as I'm paying my taxes to fund their career choice, but I wonder how they would feel if we all decided to indulge our passion for the arts? Where would their supplementary income come from then?

That's a fair point about leaving themselves open. They're aware of that though I think. As they live such simple frugal lives any cuts in welfare would just mean less travel for them as far as I can see anyway.
    They'll get the non-contributary OAP if it's still there I guess when they reach retirement age. And no-one can be sure of being secure in old age anyway, financially or health wise.
    I had an ex who's Dad died of a massive heat attack a few weeks after he took early retirement aged 56 after working in Waterford Crystal all his life.
    Life is unpredictable.

As I previously stated, we can only make contingency plans, some of us will have a better contingency plan in place than others. This is part of being responsible for yourself and being an adult.

Of course life is unpredictable, I could get hit by a bus walking to work in the morning, but just in case I'm not, I have a plan in place to provide for my future, and do not expect others to provide for me, just like the majority of people in society, and unlike the minority who have no conscience about having others pay for their life choices.

Ahh ok, my bad.
    Well I've been confined to this merry little Island but a person I knew who was a big flight enthusiast (he loved being in different types of Jet Planes!) would fly off-peak periods and pick the most bizarre flight itineraries to get the flights as cheap as possible.
    "So you're going Washington then?"
    "Yeah. Via Houston."
    "Sorry? Houston!?"
    "Yep."

Can't recall, but I think it was almost 25% less.
    He'd also get discounts because the airlines sort of loved his quirky routes.
    Expensive hobby, but each to their own. :)

But was he doing it on what was left out of 80 euro after clothing, feeding himself, paying rent, electric, heat, phone, etc etc(which couldn't be fecking much:))?

But was he doing it on what was left out of 80 euro after clothing, feeding himself, paying rent, electric, heat, phone, etc etc(which couldn't be fecking much:))?

It...is...possible. I suppose.
    (I'm fecking tempted to try busking my way across the continent now. For a youtube blog or something. :))

This guy though had a regular income of (guessing) over 1k bi-weekly.

It...is...possible. I suppose.
    (I'm fecking tempted to try busking my way across the continent now. For a youtube blog or something. :))

This guy though had a regular income of (guessing) over 1k bi-weekly.

It's possible with the bold bit alright, not on under 80 quid.

The reason I take a certain amount of umbridge Greentopia is that I know people on the dole and NONE of the things you say your friends buy, do, and pay for are possible for the people I know so something most certainly does not add up here.

Its basic maths.

Basic maths for your friends in their situation. They may have expenses, make differing lifestyle choices to these people I know. Do any of them have cars? kids? do they smoke? if my friend's had they certainly wouldn't be able to manage to travel the way they do as that would eat into all of their money after bills, food etc are paid.
    Look, short of getting to know my friends and being able to see for yourself how they live and where they spend their money I can see you won't believe me. Or don't want to believe me perhaps. Fine.
    The people I know on the dole also live alternative lifestyles.
    Its alternative to the description of the life your friends have on the dole.
    I couldn't tell you the last time any of them was in a pub or bought a stitch of clothes for themselves.

I'm sorry to hear that your friends are struggling, really, and I know a lot of people are through no fault of their own, but that doesn't make what I'm telling you untrue. Also, see my previous statement.
    Also, just about your point of them supplementing their dole by selling art?
    These people (and I am going to make no assumptions about what they a really declaring)are not good examples when discussing SW recipients imo.

Why? because they don't fit into the lazy assumptions and convenient stereotypes that many people-not meaning you! make about people on the dole-that they're lazy, shiftless, uneducated, unemployable and generationally disadvantaged spongers signing on in their trackies spending their dole on booze and fags?
    Who in your opinion are the "better" examples of people on the dole, assuming you don't agree with that grotesque caricature of those on it?

I think most people fit into the "don't want to be on the dole and am trying hard to come off it and find a decent well paid job" category personally, but my point was that people from all walks and all socio-economic backgrounds can be on it for varying reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

im on the dole for the first time in my adult life after 14 years working, I check every day to agencies, apply to jobs and send my cv to companies on the off chance. 2 months later and Im finding my self worth very low -****ing hate it. I have plenty of savings so I can still live a good life style but waking up and after checking for work etc the rest of the day is hell -I just go to the gym, have a sleep or go for a walk into town.

**** knows what im going to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've never been on the Dole, and I honestly have no feelings about it, or the people who get it. I don't resent them, envy them or pity them. If it's a choice, that's fine by me, if it's because they can't find work and need it, that's ok too. I also don't care what level it is at, it could be €600 a week and I'd care less. Lifes for each person themselves, if you spend it worrying what everyone else is getting, it eats you up and messes you up. I'd die of boredom, I actually love work and for me it just follows, I care not a bit about money, I just do what I like doing and money follows - I'm not rich, I have enough and I support a lot of families by creating work for a good few local lads who otherwise would not have any, but, tbh, I'm just having a bit of fun and I leave the deep stuff to others. I'm lucky cos I have a mad head that just sees work that pays, but not everyones like that and thats just fine by me - why the feck would you want to see people poor? The dole should be there to provide a safety net for people, otherwise what's the point in life if everyone just gets shat on when they are in need? Sorry for the windy post, I usually try to keep it short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Agreed I couldnt really care what others do or dont do. I never thought Id be on the dole but I am. I was meant to start a job last month but it fell through as in the company withdrew the position and put it on hold.

Its trying to keep a positive attitude and also not falling into depression.

Basic maths for your friends in their situation. They may have expenses, make differing lifestyle choices to these people I know. Do any of them have cars? kids? do they smoke? if my friend's had they certainly wouldn't be able to manage to travel the way they do as that would eat into all of their money after bills, food etc are paid.
    Look, short of getting to know my friends and being able to see for yourself how they live and where they spend their money I can see you won't believe me. Or don't want to believe me perhaps. Fine.

I'm sorry to hear that your friends are struggling, really, and I know a lot of people are through no fault of their own, but that doesn't make what I'm telling you untrue. Also, see my previous statement.

Why? because they don't fit into the lazy assumptions and convenient stereotypes that many people-not meaning you! make about people on the dole-that they're lazy, shiftless, uneducated, unemployable and generationally disadvantaged spongers signing on in their trackies spending their dole on booze and fags?
    Who in your opinion are the "better" examples of people on the dole, assuming you don't agree with that grotesque caricature of those on it?

I think most people fit into the "don't want to be on the dole and am trying hard to come off it and find a decent well paid job" category personally, but my point was that people from all walks and all socio-economic backgrounds can be on it for varying reasons.

I think you are making a point for me there:D

People do stereotype people on the dole as you described above and any person with a bit of cop on would realise that four hundred and odd thousand people do not wear shell suits.
    But there are a lot of people out there who will love the fact that your friends(and I wont argue with you over this;))go, as you say, on swanky holidays.
    It will be the thing that they will say "Oh there you go, told you the feckin' dole was too high"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

im on the dole for the first time in my adult life after 14 years working, I check every day to agencies, apply to jobs and send my cv to companies on the off chance. 2 months later and Im finding my self worth very low -****ing hate it. I have plenty of savings so I can still live a good life style but waking up and after checking for work etc the rest of the day is hell -I just go to the gym, have a sleep or go for a walk into town.

**** knows what im going to do

If you think it's bad and depressing now, wait until you head into January and February.

Nothing worse than been on the dole during these freezing cold wet miserable months, the lack of sunlight and short days, the lie ins just get longer and longer until its not until the afternoon when you roll out of bed.

Definately keep up the exercise, it keeps the head fresh and in the right place. Try to get on some courses too, keeps the brain ticking over while your out mixing and meeting people. Stay away from the whole whingy whiney attitudes of people, it can only drag your mood down.

areyawell wrote: »
    I currently touch myself a lot more than I used to when I was working!
    You are your own "friend with benefits".:D

But just like any other business then GT, if they're not making enough money to be fully self sufficient, then they should give up what they are doing, and go into an area where they will be able to earn enough to be self sufficient and indulge their passion.

Did you not read the part where I said art is not just a job for them but a life's vocation? so, what, they give up their art and get some other jobs in an area they have neither interest, talent or enjoyment? then what do you think would happen? I'm not 100% sure but I can tell you if that happened to me I can tell you exactly what would happen-I would become depressed and it would destroy my happiness and my life and I'd probably end up either on anti-depressants or eventually unemployed and on State disability-as happened to a relative of mine. So I would be on a State payment anyway, just a different type. I have no reason to assume what would happen to my friends would be any different.

You clearly have no understanding of how artists feel about their work if you think they can just give it up to become a road sweeper. Or IT manager, or...well anything other than an artist really.
    They are clearly not talented enough to earn a living from what they do, and it is unfair of them to expect the government to fund their life decisions when they want to pick and choose what they want to do in life.

Again, I'm sorry but again you clearly display a lack of understanding about art and how difficult it is to earn a living wage from being a full time artist in this country.
    I can assure you they are both very talented individuals who have shown their work in galleries both in Ireland and abroad. Only the most successful at selling their work can earn a living from art alone. And selling sometimes doesn't come easy to creative people. Ask me how I know that! :o
    As someone once said "any fool can paint a picture, but it takes a wise person to be able to sell it".

Now I don't think it's wisdom needed to sell, just a business sense but they're two completely different skill sets utilised by the two different hemispheres of the brain. Not to say that many artists/craftspeople can't have the right, creative and the left business, logic part in balance, but there's a reason why in art college they have to make creatives extra aware of the importance of and the need to work extra hard on the business skills necessary for selling their work when they leave. Or at least my tutors did.
    They shun capitalism in favor of idealism, but only when it suits them!

What has receiving a Govt. payment paid for through their taxes got to do with capitalism?
    No, it's there for those people who are unable through no fault of their own, to enable them to have a basic standard of living, that is a roof over their heads and food on the table, not foreign holidays and trips abroad at the governments expense. We laud politicians for this behaviour, why should people on social welfare be allowed get away with it?

The first part of your statement applies to my friends. And it's not at the Govts. expense actually, it's taxpayers who fund the social welfare system through the apparatus of State and this tax payer has no problem with how they spend it as long as it's not harming anyone else. If you don't like it then lobby Govt. to change the rules or vote in a party that would do so or who would prohibit them from obtaining SW.

I'm pretty sure actually that my friends would rather not be on any kind of State subsidy actually but are forced into it because of the ridiculous cost of living here. And show me explicitly in what legislation or rule it says the dole is not to be used for foreign travel? or whatever people want to spend it on no matter how ludicrous, frivolous or undeserving you may think it is. As it happens I know they use the trips as inspiration for their work and they also use the opportunity to buy materials at much cheaper than here so there is that.
    And we certainly DO get to decide what people spend their money on! If I give you €50, damn right I want to know what you'll spend it on. If I give the government money in taxes, then I get to vote in the politicians who I feel will make the best use of my taxes!

Yes but it's not you who give them the money from your pocket direct is it, as I've stated. And have you? voted in the politicians who have made best use of your taxes I mean? if you have and it's not the present Govt. has decided to allow people like my friends to continue to receive the dole then that's democracy in action and you just have to accept it then don't you? or if you feel strongly enough about it as I said lobby them or vote in those who best align with your views on this matter.
    Personally I think representational democracy is a farce, especially in this country but that's another debate...
    I have no doubt you think they are lovely people in terms of their personality, but I find their behaviour incredibly selfish. The fact they have degrees doesn't mean a whole lot, only that they are well educated in their chosen field.

Well educated but apparently without talent in your estimation-having never seen their work.
    ...but an artist should aspire to be funded by a patronage, those who are willing to appreciate their efforts, not those who have never even seen their work!

Glad to know you appreciate the visual arts, too many Irish people don't. I know this all too well working P/T in an art gallery.
    What form of patronage do you mean? and of course my friends aspire to having their work sold! it's not their fault the cost of living is too high here and they can't live on what they earn from their chosen field, how many times do i need to reiterate this?!. It's not their fault people don't value art highly enough to buy their work. Or that people don't have enough money to buy art. They survive as best they can within their field and unfortunately that necessitates them drawing the dole.
    I understand that they would be miserable in any other occupation, but that is why I said they need to grow up, life can be harsh and we do not get to pick and choose what we like and don't like, all we can do is plan as best we can for eventualities that we can control, and adapt to situations outside our control.

We most certainly do get to pick and choose what we want to do in life. Or most of us do anyway in this country that are fit and able bodied. I've chosen the path I have for example because it makes me the most happy and fulfilled. Certainly not for material gain. Others choose differently and for different reasons-money, status, job security etc. What you call growing up others may call a slow death. A life not worth living. What do you mean by "growing up" exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Pottler wrote: »
    I've never been on the Dole, and I honestly have no feelings about it, or the people who get it. I don't resent them, envy them or pity them. If it's a choice, that's fine by me, if it's because they can't find work and need it, that's ok too. I also don't care what level it is at, it could be €600 a week and I'd care less. Lifes for each person themselves, if you spend it worrying what everyone else is getting, it eats you up and messes you up. I'd die of boredom, I actually love work and for me it just follows, I care not a bit about money, I just do what I like doing and money follows - I'm not rich, I have enough and I support a lot of families by creating work for a good few local lads who otherwise would not have any, but, tbh, I'm just having a bit of fun and I leave the deep stuff to others. I'm lucky cos I have a mad head that just sees work that pays, but not everyones like that and thats just fine by me - why the feck would you want to see people poor? The dole should be there to provide a safety net for people, otherwise what's the point in life if everyone just gets shat on when they are in need? Sorry for the windy post, I usually try to keep it short.

Sounds good in theory.

In practice; money for the dole has to come from somewhere.
    People not working don't generate tax revenue.

Ergo - if you are working and I'm on the dole - you're paying for me to stay home.

If you're fine with that - cool. But why limit it to the dole? Why not just send me money? I could use it.

GT I've long respected you as a poster so I'm just going to step out of this one rather than keep it going when we're totally at polar opposite views on this particular topic... :o

Sorry, say what now, forgot to add reply to this:
    Of course they'll pass on that, but they'll have their hand out for money when it suits them! They have no problem with me working in my boring office job as long as I'm paying my taxes to fund their career choice, but I wonder how they would feel if we all decided to indulge our passion for the arts? Where would their supplementary income come from then?

Where you work is entirely your choice, as theirs is to them. Don't forget they pay other indirect taxes too that help pay for services you enjoy. If we all worked in the arts or "indulged our passions" as you say then the world would look very different wouldn't it? and probably infinitely better IMO but that's another story. In such a world money and commodities may no longer have any meaning for many people so who knows. They may not need as much money to survive as they do now. It's too hypothetical and there are too many unknowns to speculate accurately.

Of course life is unpredictable, I could get hit by a bus walking to work in the morning, but just in case I'm not, I have a plan in place to provide for my future, and do not expect others to provide for me, just like the majority of people in society, and unlike the minority who have no conscience about having others pay for their life choices.

Good for you. I hope your plans works out. I place no faith in plans myself, life doesn't run according to what we plan for it in my experience. I have hopes and dreams of course but I live in the here and now because that's all we've got, not for the future that hasn't happened yet and may not happen. It's smart to put something aside for a rainy day but IMO private pensions and such are a waste of time and money. I've seen people lose huge amounts in pension plans and bank investments in the last few years. I'm talking hundreds of thousands.

My insurance for old age will be to ensure as best I can by staying fit and healthy that I can and continue working until the day I die because I love what I do and would do it even if I didn't get paid for it. That's what life is about for me. Not counting down the days until I retire with a pot of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

UCDVet wrote: »
    Sounds good in theory.

People not working don't generate tax revenue.

How do you work that out?

• Advertisement

Did you not read the part where I said art is not just a job for them but a life's vocation? so, what, they give up their art and get some other jobs in an area they have neither interest, talent or enjoyment? then what do you think would happen? I'm not 100% sure but I can tell you if that happened to me I can tell you exactly what would happen-I would become depressed and it would destroy my happiness and my life and I'd probably end up either on anti-depressants or eventually unemployed and on State disability-as happened to a relative of mine. So I would be on a State payment anyway, just a different type. I have no reason to assume what would happen to my friends would be any different.

You clearly have no understanding of how artists feel about their work if you think they can just give it up to become a road sweeper. Or IT manager, or...well anything other than an artist really.

Again, I'm sorry but again you clearly display a lack of understanding about art and how difficult it is to earn a living wage from being a full time artist in this country.
    I can assure you they are both very talented individuals who have shown their work in galleries both in Ireland and abroad. Only the most successful at selling their work can earn a living from art alone. And selling sometimes doesn't come easy to creative people. Ask me how I know that! :o
    As someone once said "any fool can paint a picture, but it takes a wise person to be able to sell it".

Now I don't think it's wisdom needed to sell, just a business sense but they're two completely different skill sets utilised by the two different hemispheres of the brain. Not to say that many artists/craftspeople can't have the right, creative and the left business, logic part in balance, but there's a reason why in art college they have to make creatives extra aware of the importance of and the need to work extra hard on the business skills necessary for selling their work when they leave. Or at least my tutors did.

What has receiving a Govt. payment paid for through their taxes got to do with capitalism?

The first part of your statement applies to my friends. And it's not at the Govts. expense actually, it's taxpayers who fund the social welfare system through the apparatus of State and this tax payer has no problem with how they spend it as long as it's not harming anyone else. If you don't like it then lobby Govt. to change the rules or vote in a party that would do so or who would prohibit them from obtaining SW.

I'm pretty sure actually that my friends would rather not be on any kind of State subsidy actually but are forced into it because of the ridiculous cost of living here. And show me explicitly in what legislation or rule it says the dole is not to be used for foreign travel? or whatever people want to spend it on no matter how ludicrous, frivolous or undeserving you may think it is. As it happens I know they use the trips as inspiration for their work and they also use the opportunity to buy materials at much cheaper than here so there is that.

Yes but it's not you who give them the money from your pocket direct is it, as I've stated. And have you? voted in the politicians who have made best use of your taxes I mean? if you have and it's not the present Govt. has decided to allow people like my friends to continue to receive the dole then that's democracy in action and you just have to accept it then don't you? or if you feel strongly enough about it as I said lobby them or vote in those who best align with your views on this matter.
    Personally I think representational democracy is a farce, especially in this country but that's another debate...

Well educated but apparently without talent in your estimation-having never seen their work.

Glad to know you appreciate the visual arts, too many Irish people don't. I know this all too well working P/T in an art gallery.
    What form of patronage do you mean? and of course my friends aspire to having their work sold! it's not their fault the cost of living is too high here and they can't live on what they earn from their chosen field, how many times do i need to reiterate this?!. It's not their fault people don't value art highly enough to buy their work. Or that people don't have enough money to buy art. They survive as best they can within their field and unfortunately that necessitates them drawing the dole.

We most certainly do get to pick and choose what we want to do in life. Or most of us do anyway in this country that are fit and able bodied. I've chosen the path I have for example because it makes me the most happy and fulfilled. Certainly not for material gain. Others choose differently and for different reasons-money, status, job security etc. What you call growing up others may call a slow death. A life not worth living. What do you mean by "growing up" exactly?
    In the spirit of "attack the post, not the poster", this post is full of sh1t and up it's own hole. I would love this post to go and shyte.

In the spirit of "attack the post, not the poster", this post is full of sh1t and up it's own hole. I would love this post to go and shyte.

Why are you being so hard on your own post? :(

Excellent post. If only everyone had your sensible attitude, decency and compassion for others less well off! It always strikes me as pathetic sour grapes when I hear people moaning and complaining about what people get on the dole. If they spent a fraction of that energy and righteous indignation actively holding our bankers and politicians to account for the multiple billions we're in hock to we might get a better country than the one we have.

I guess it's easier to scapegoat the poor and pour bile and vitriol on them than go after rich bankers and politicians. It's pathetic, and classic divide and conquer tactics by the elite. What fools we are to fall into the trap! seems to be working in this country though judging by the comments I read in threads like this about those on the dole. :(

In the spirit of attack the "post and not the poster"- Have a bit of manners and show some respect for other people's opinions. You may not agree with them, but you don't have to be so disgusting about it.

[/B]

I think you are making a point for me there:D
    People do stereotype people on the dole as you described above and any person with a bit of cop on would realise that four hundred and odd thousand people do not wear shell suits.

Not sure what point I'm making for you as you don't specify but glad you see the idiocy and unfairness of the stereotype I mentioned.
    But there are a lot of people out there who will love the fact that your friends(and I wont argue with you over this;))go, as you say, on swanky holidays.
    It will be the thing that they will say "Oh there you go, told you the feckin' dole was too high"

Your ;) suggesting you either do still disagree and you think I'm making up what I'm telling you or something else, no idea what :confused: oh well...

I'm not responsible for others ignorant and ill-informed opinions if they think the dole is too high just from one example I give. Anyone with an ounce of sense and decency would take a more nuanced and informed approach to the issue and educate themselves on the realities of life on the dole for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Hmm, ok.
    I've never been on the Dole, and I honestly have no feelings about it, or the people who get it.

Wait, what?

• Advertisement

GT I've long respected you as a poster so I'm just going to step out of this one rather than keep it going when we're totally at polar opposite views on this particular topic... :o

What, you mean you had respect for me before this? sorry to let you down :P where did I lose you? it's was when I told you I was self employed wasn't it? that always happens *sigh* :(:D
    No problem if you don't want to reply any further, thank's for keeping it civil ;)

Not sure what point I'm making for you as you don't specify but glad you see the idiocy and unfairness of the stereotype I mentioned.

Your ;) suggesting you either do still disagree and you think I'm making up what I'm telling you or something else, no idea what :confused: oh well...

I'm not responsible for others ignorant and ill-informed opinions if they think the dole is too high just from one example I give. Anyone with an ounce of sense and decency would take a more nuanced and informed approach to the issue and educate themselves on the realities of life on the dole for most people.

Okay,
    I'l give my opinion of dole claimants.
    They are people.
    Your neighbours, friends possibly even family members.
    The vast, vast ,majority of people in receipt of SW worked before jobseekers.
    Or became ill and then claimed Disability.
    Maybe I have read one too many threads about the dole on here and the stereotypes that it spews forth ie "dutch gold swilling, hoop earring wearing, 20 blue a day, bud" that I have become sick of it.

My response to your post about your friends was that I did not wish for the fools who spew forth that kind of bunk to have any more ammunition in their crusade to stand on their high-horse and say "Told ya them feckers get to much on the labour. Ya see, I told. They are swanning of ta feckin Mexico now. Give them a score a week, that'll learn 'em".

I know too many people who have fallen on hard times.

Excellent post. If only everyone had your sensible attitude, decency and compassion for others less well off! It always strikes me as pathetic sour grapes when I hear people moaning and complaining about what people get on the dole. If they spent a fraction of that energy and righteous indignation actively holding our bankers and politicians to account for the multiple billions we're in hock to we might get a better country than the one we have.

I guess it's easier to scapegoat the poor and pour bile and vitriol on them than go after rich bankers and politicians. It's pathetic, and classic divide and conquer tactics by the elite. What fools we are to fall into the trap! seems to be working in this country though judging by the comments I read in threads like this about those on the dole. :(
    Nice post, considering how rude I was to yours, but in fairness, I was being honest, and you were dissapearing up your own sphincter. I recognise you consider yourself an artist, and that's all good, but maybe, just maybe you are not alone? Maybe there are loads of other people who are also artists but can't make a living as an artist and so clean the local factory canteen for a living? That does not make them any less intelligent or artistic, they just do what they have to do, despite their artistic inclinations. Which maybe takes a lot of guts and stamina. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor, etc. You either get it or you don't. If you don't, and you take offence, good luck, if you do, and you see the point I'm making, all's good and actually, we're on the same sheet.:)
    On another note, most people who are on the dole paid their PRSI and therefore are only getting their own money drip fed back to them, so what's the issue? They bought their entitlement to the Dole, it is theirs to claim??? What's the issue with that???

Thank you for that well rounded and intelligent repost. That's me told eh!

Well I can agree with having compassion for those less well off than I am GT, but it was the way I suppose that it came across initially in your post as if your friends were enjoying the life of reilly claiming social welfare and laughing at the rest of us poor fools working our butts off to support THEIR life choices-
    * cue howls of indignation and horror from the gainfully employed here :pac:.

It was the contradiction here between suggesting they can't live on what they earn, so they claim social welfare, and then in the same paragraph to make a point of saying they fly off on holidays and trips to all manner of foreign destinations every few weeks!

This to me was not only suggesting that they were living beyond their means, but that they were enjoying holidays and travelling the world while claiming from a system that was only ever intended to be used as a safety net for those that needed it to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Of course it was going to get people's backs up when they felt that people were making a mockery of a system that was put in place to protect the most vulnerable in society, not a pair of middle class misfits whose only philosophy in life is living for today and I make myself happy and to hell with anyone that might begrudge me what I want to do with MY life. If they choose to take from the state, then is it wrong for the state to expect something in return? Art is only worth the value that someone else puts on your work, and I too know many artists, photographers, graphic designers, my own wife is extremely creative, but she keeps her art and handcrafts as a hobby because she knows how hard it is to make a living from it, yet this does not stop her enjoying it, and others enjoying her work.

The old saying that "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy", should equally be balanced with "all play and no work makes jack unpopular with those that have to pick up the slack while he's off playing!".

My point is that there has to be give ASWEL as take, and while I can appreciate the efforts of a struggling artist, there's a line has to be drawn where they must be told "now you're just taking the proverbial", you cannot expect others to help you achieve what you want in life when all you do is take, and expect that what YOU value, will be of any value to THEM!!

It'd be like me walking into Tesco and expecting to pay for my groceries with the new waistcoat I just knitted for the staff that I think will look rather dashing on them! I'd quickly be told GTFO and only rightly so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement