Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

In the spirit of attack the "post and not the poster"- Have a bit of manners and show some respect for other people's opinions. You may not agree with them, but you don't have to be so disgusting about it.
    Sorry Mammy, I'll try to be nice. Just for you. Not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Greentopia wrote: »
    Thank you for that well rounded and intelligent repost. That's me told eh!
    Green, you're not thick, so you are welcome. BTW, it was well ghey and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Smidge wrote: »
    Maybe I have read one too many threads about the dole on here and the stereotypes that it spews forth ie "dutch gold swilling, hoop earring wearing, 20 blue a day, bud" that I have become sick of it.

You and me both.
    Smidge wrote: »
    My response to your post about your friends was that I did not wish for the fools who spew forth that kind of bunk to have any more ammunition in their crusade to stand on their high-horse and say "Told ya them feckers get to much on the labour. Ya see, I told. They are swanning of ta feckin Mexico now. Give them a score a week, that'll learn 'em".

I know too many people who have fallen on hard times.

Yeah I guessed (hoped!) it might be for that reason judging by the tone of you comment. I understand and certainly don't want to give people like that ammunition to tar all SWC claimants with but seriously, they are two people out of over 400,000. As I've said-anyone with any sense or compassion will not judge all unemployed by my friends choices and those who do are idiots looking only to have their prejudices and biases confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

What, you mean you had respect for me before this? sorry to let you down :P where did I lose you? it's was when I told you I was self employed wasn't it? that always happens *sigh* :(:D
    No problem if you don't want to reply any further, thank's for keeping it civil ;)

Haha, ah not at all GT, I can listen to someone's opinion and still respectfully disagree with them, I agree with you on a much broader range of topics that you've previously given your opinion on and I find you to be one of the most articulate and intelligent posters on boards... aaaand I'll stop short of hero worship! :D

But no, well you didn't lose me as such, it was just I could see where you were coming from, but just that we weren't going to see eye to eye on this one topic, self employed myself too btw, and much happier for it than working for somebody else, but I had to work for somebody else for nearly 20 years before I was able to be in the position I am now, and even now I work hard for my customers, because without them, I have no business!

I only hadn't wanted to reply further as I couldn't articulate myself in a way that you might see where I was coming from, so I decided to step back, then I decided to try and come at it again, and even now I still don't know will I have articulated myself enough to the point where you might see where I was coming from.

And as for keeping it civil, well, manners at least cost nothing, too many posters on boards tend to forget this sometimes and think they can mouth off indiscriminately as some posters (not you obviously!) have done in this thread already... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

You and me both.

Yeah I guessed (hoped!) it might be for that reason judging by the tone of you comment. I understand and certainly don't want to give people like that ammunition to tar all SWC claimants with but seriously, they are two people out of over 400,000. As I've said-anyone with any sense or compassion will not judge all unemployed by my friends choices and those who do are idiots looking only to have their prejudices and biases confirmed.

Fair enough GT!
    Hope I cleared up what I meant.
    Sadly though there are too many people just looking for examples like your friends to further their point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

You and me both.

You have judged all SWC by your "friend's"

Pottler wrote: »
    Nice post, considering how rude I was to yours, but in fairness, I was being honest, and you were dissapearing up your own sphincter.

That's ok, you quoted yourself so I didn't take it too badly :D It was a thinly veiled personal attack of course but it made me smile too so no harm done ;)
    I recognise you consider yourself an artist, and that's all good, but maybe, just maybe you are not alone? Maybe there are loads of other people who are also artists but can't make a living as an artist and so clean the local factory canteen for a living? That does not make them any less intelligent or artistic, they just do what they have to do, despite their artistic inclinations. Which maybe takes a lot of guts and stamina. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor, etc. You either get it or you don't. If you don't, and you take offence, good luck, if you do, and you see the point I'm making, all's good and actually, we're on the same sheet.:)

Not sure if I'm correct in what I'm thinking but if I am then I know you don't mean any offense so none taken ;) I don't want to ask any personal questions here that you may not feel comfortable answering.

Yes fair point on what you said, but the people I know would probably feel that because they're educated for the work they do and their art is such a major and important part of their life that they can't compromise on it by working in a canteen or whatever which would take from their time making art. I honestly don't know, maybe I'll ask them :)

I know from what J has told me-the non-national, that he has fundamental ideological and political objections to working 'for the man'. Uh yeah, so there is that to contend with too. I share some of his views but we won't go there :pac:
    I can't see my other friend the former Muckross College or her family being too impressed with the idea of her working in a canteen (a penniless artist on the dole is ok you see, lol) but I'll ask her what she thinks.
    On another note, most people who are on the dole paid their PRSI and therefore are only getting their own money drip fed back to them, so what's the issue? They bought their entitlement to the Dole, it is theirs to claim??? What's the issue with that???

Quite. What indeed.

Well I can agree with having compassion for those less well off than I am GT, but it was the way I suppose that it came across initially in your post as if your friends were enjoying the life of reilly claiming social welfare and laughing at the rest of us poor fools working our butts off to support THEIR life choices-

Ah ok I see. I perhaps phrased that post injudiciously. I really don't think they're laughing at other people's choices or feel an overweening sense of entitlement to their SW money, or at least I hope not! but I can see how some people may think that, yes. I hope my further posts clarified what I meant.

It was the contradiction here between suggesting they can't live on what they earn, so they claim social welfare, and then in the same paragraph to make a point of saying they fly off on holidays and trips to all manner of foreign destinations every few weeks!

This to me was not only suggesting that they were living beyond their means, but that they were enjoying holidays and travelling the world while claiming from a system that was only ever intended to be used as a safety net for those that needed it to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Ok. Well I know for a fact they really couldn't live on what they earn if they didn't have the dole, and I'm sure they would pay tax if only they earned enough! It wouldn't be a case of just not having any luxuries if their dole was cut, it would be a case of not being able to eat for one of them anyway. The other would probably just move back in with her family or else move to some country where the cost of living is way cheaper.
    So the dole for them is keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table, but because their overheads are minimal it also means they have lots of money left over which allows them do what they love-travel and experience new places and people. Their income from their work you see is neither regular or secure. They might get a €3000 in a week if they sold a few paintings at an opening, but then they may not earn anything for months, but bills still have to be paid every week! such is the nature of the work for many artists. And crafts people too.
    Of course it was going to get people's backs up when they felt that people were making a mockery of a system that was put in place to protect the most vulnerable in society, not a pair of middle class misfits whose only philosophy in life is living for today and I make myself happy and to hell with anyone that might begrudge me what I want to do with MY life. If they choose to take from the state, then is it wrong for the state to expect something in return? Art is only worth the value that someone else puts on your work, and I too know many artists, photographers, graphic designers, my own wife is extremely creative, but she keeps her art and handcrafts as a hobby because she knows how hard it is to make a living from it, yet this does not stop her enjoying it, and others enjoying her work.

They're not "misfits" as you put it, just people who work as full time artists. They're both intelligent educated people who are making the best out of their choices in life. Or perhaps choices is not the right word as making things with ones hands is more a compulsion if you love doing it. Maybe it's society that is wrong when they can't earn a decent living from their work even though they work every day?? that's my view. Why should art and crafts be just a dalliance, a hobby, not "real work". That's BS IMO and says a lot about the priorities and values of a society where too many people feel that way. The arts are vital to a healthy society and should be supported and seen as just as valid as any other occupation.

And how do you know they don't give back in return? just because they don't pay income tax does not mean they don't give in other ways. They pay indirect taxes on pretty much everything they buy and one of them gives time to help cleaning up her locale. It's not good to make assumptions about what people do or don't give.
    It'd be like me walking into Tesco and expecting to pay for my groceries with the new waistcoat I just knitted for the staff that I think will look rather dashing on them! I'd quickly be told GTFO and only rightly so!

As a knitter I like your idea :D maybe I'll try that the next time I'm in my local Tesco. :pac: Or not seeing as though I loathe those corporate wanksters that destroy local businesses with every fibre of my being but anyhoo...

I guess money is here to stay much as I dislike it but I actually would love to have a barter scheme in place where we do smaller jobs for each other where no money exchanges hands. A LETS scheme on a much bigger scale.

Sorry, going OT.

Green, you're not thick, so you are welcome. BTW, it was well ghey and you know it.

:p

I guess money is here to stay much as I dislike it but I actually would love to have a barter scheme in place where we do smaller jobs for each other where no money exchanges hands. A LETS scheme on a much bigger scale.

Sorry, going OT.

I think I could begin to like your idealogy GT- how about you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours? :D

Ah no, I DO actually see where you're coming from, but it's just not an idealogy I could ever see myself subscribing to, as much as I support the arts and am an avid supporter of local charities and involvement in my community, I could do none of what I do now had I not first done the things I didn't like to do so much.

• Advertisement

Haha, ah not at all GT, I can listen to someone's opinion and still respectfully disagree with them, I agree with you on a much broader range of topics that you've previously given your opinion on and I find you to be one of the most articulate and intelligent posters on boards... aaaand I'll stop short of hero worship! :D

Ah jayze how do you expect me to verbally eviscerate you after that now?? feck sake :D ah thank's, *blushes* and there I was thinking no-one really quite rightly gives a damn as to what I write or if I go AWOL from Boards for weeks or months at a time. Maybe I should start posting more regularly :pac:
    *cue those still on the thread telling me to feck off, enquiring "who are you??" "I always thought you're a wanker anyway and I hear you smell" etc. etc. Just to balance things out like.

But no, well you didn't lose me as such, it was just I could see where you were coming from, but just that we weren't going to see eye to eye on this one topic, self employed myself too btw, and much happier for it than working for somebody else, but I had to work for somebody else for nearly 20 years before I was able to be in the position I am now, and even now I work hard for my customers, because without them, I have no business!

No worries, glad things are working out well for you SWN. It's bloody tough earning a living being self-employed eh? that's why I have to work P/T too. Not that I mind it though, the P/T work is a doddle and I can do my own work there too.
    I only hadn't wanted to reply further as I couldn't articulate myself in a way that you might see where I was coming from, so I decided to step back, then I decided to try and come at it again, and even now I still don't know will I have articulated myself enough to the point where you might see where I was coming from.

I think I do see where you're coming from, but as it's so late I think I may read back on some of the posts again tomorrow when I'm more mentally sharp and then maybe I'll be able to add further to my opinions if needed that's ok. I'm wrecked and the posts are kind of blurring into each other at this stage!
    And as for keeping it civil, well, manners at least cost nothing, too many posters on boards tend to forget this sometimes and think they can mouth off indiscriminately as some posters (not you obviously!) have done in this thread already... ;)

I quite agree, about manners I mean. Rudeness is a real bugbear with me.
    Yay, finally caught up with my replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

soul destroying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The" dole" is a jobSEEKERS " benefit".

You are alliwed two weeks " holiday" a year on it. If your friends are as you say are on it& " jetting off " regularly to exotic places & taking many foreign hidatsa, then they're not available for work & are in breech of it's conditions.

Ruins it for the genuine JobSEEKERS .

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Boombastic wrote: »
    So your boyfriend who you live with works, Is that why you only receive €100/week as you are assessed on his income?

Not really drinking out of jam jar stage yet then if there is another income in the household

No. I am 19, that's why I get 100. He is lucky enough to be getting more than me (about 88 more) due to a FAS course(albeit temporarily), if he was on SW he too would only be getting 100, as you have to be over 25 to get the full rate.

Thanks for the judgement, but keep it to yourself in future. He is lucky because he is paid a little more for a little while, that is hardly having a full time job now, is it???

I never said I was at that stage, but everything I stated is the reality, and as I said, having more than one income is very temporary, hardly lasting luxury.

*Not that it is any of your business the financial situation others are in, but anyway, continue with your view you have the right to interrogate. I don't have to justify myself to anyone apart from SW. There really are some rude people in this world if they think they can criticise the place other people are in without knowing the full story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

It's great.

Don't get up until about 2pm & then play GTA multiplayer all day long.

It's also given me the chance to do more charity work. Okay I haven't actually done any ever yet, but I like how I have the option to do it if I feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

CuriousG wrote: »
    No. I am 19, that's why I get 100. He is lucky enough to be getting more than me (about 88 more) due to a FAS course(albeit temporarily), if he was on SW he too would only be getting 100, as you have to be over 25 to get the full rate.

Thanks for the judgement, but keep it to yourself in future. He is lucky because he is paid a little more for a little while, that is hardly having a full time job now, is it???

I never said I was at that stage, but everything I stated is the reality, and as I said, having more than one income is very temporary, hardly lasting luxury.

*Not that it is any of your business the financial situation others are in, but anyway, continue with your view you have the right to interrogate. I don't have to justify myself to anyone apart from SW. There really are some rude people in this world if they think they can criticise the place other people are in without knowing the full story.

Yes it's easy to come on the internet and complain that you struggle to pay the esb out of 100/week, without clarifying that there is more household income and you are not paying the full amount alone and can afford €30 for the vets for your cat.

Did you find the Kopparberg in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yes it's easy to come on the internet and complain that you struggle to pay the esb out of 100/week, without clarifying that there is more household income and you are not paying the full amount alone and can afford €30 for the vets for your cat.

I really don't understand posts like the above do you want people to suffer or something? :confused:

Jernal wrote: »
    I really don't understand posts like the above do you want people to suffer or something? :confused:

Nah, just sick of the whinging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Then don't read it. People are entitled to whinge.

• Advertisement

Then don't read it. People are entitled to whinge.

I'm entitled to
    I'm entitled to
    I'm entitled to
    I'm entitled to
    I'm entitled to

Story of this country.

They quoted me and I was replying, you don't have to read it

Ohh the irony! :D

A) That 30 took about two months to save. A once off 30e is a lot cheaper than other medical conditions than can arise from not neutering, and also it is a lot more humane to neuter a cat. You'd think it was 500 the way you are going on. Punish people for being frugal and saving a little while there is more coming into the house, but punish people when they don't. People like you need to make up your mind what your opinion is, you cannot have it all ways. (Again, not that it's any of your business ;) )

B) If you bothered your behind to read my last post, you would know why I started that thread about Kopparberg. Well done on your selective reading skills, must have taken a while to acquire.

God, are some people really that feckin dissatisfied with their lives they have to find any reason to begrudge others?? If you want to sit at home going mad every day be my bloody guest, I'd gladly take your job, cos you obviously don't appreciate it.

If you were nosey enough not to quote selective threads of mine, you'd see over 70% are actually about finding a job and how to go about it. Some people are too ignorant for words. Get off my f***ing case. It's the principle of the thing that you are saying 100 is too much for one person, yet if it was any less, people would NOT be able to survive - I am one of the lucky people living with someone who got on a bloody FAS course TEMPORARILY (just like winning the lotto, I suppose, sure we can afford a mansion now!) It's high time people like you minded your own bloody business, and if you don't like threads like this, don't get involved in them!!!

I never once in my life said I was entitled to the dole, I would rather not be signing on and have ignorant people like you looking down on me all the time, but if there was anything more in my power to do I would have bloody done it by now, and I don't have to justify that to YOU or ANYONE. Neither does anyone else. I really cannot believe some people. I hope you lose your job one day and have to live in other peoples shoes, I really do. As I said, I'd take a job in the morning, and I'd gladly swap places with you for a week to see how well you do.

If you really think ANY household can run on 288e a week altogether and not struggle in this day and age, you are living in a very sheltered and delusional world. No longer will I be justifying anything I write here to anyone after this post, because quite frankly, it's none of your bloody business in the slightest. If you are against people on the dole, don't click on a thread entitled 'Life on the Dole'

€30 took 2 months to save to cure your cat of fleas, your house must be riddled

€30 took 2 months to save to cure your cat of fleas, your house must be riddled

Learn to read properly, then get back to me. Deal?

You may have missed I said these things were saved for and paid WHILE we are getting a little extra. Does that distract from my point in any way? No.

Sure, thanks to the extra 88 courtesy of the government we're living the life of style.... Plasma screens all round and everything. God, I dunno why I thought it was a struggle to pay for things, thank the lord there's people like you to set me straight and remind me how rich I am. Why bother busting my ass looking for a job all week when I can just sit and home and roll around in all the money I have...Thanks again for the reminder, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Family income support
    Mortgage interest supplement
    Child benefit
    Bus Passes
    Medical Cards
    Household Benefit Package
    Fuel Allowance
    Rent Allowance
    The list goes on and on..

A democratic state should provide the "less fortunate" with a minimum, subsistant, means of living. No right minded person would begrudge some 180 Euro a week to live, but when we account for the myriad of Social insurance payments, Means-tested payments and Universal payments we see that the accuring benefits to someone availling of 'Social Protection' have completely spiralled out of control. Anyone here on the average industrial wage would likely be better off being unemployed, spitting out a kid and going on the waiting list for a council house.

Please, stop saying its only 280/188/whatever arbitrary figure you decide it is because it truly isn't - It is so much more and, crucially for this topic, IT IS TOO MUCH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

A democratic state should provide the "less fortunate" with a minimum, subsistant, means of living. No right minded person would begrudge some 180 Euro a week to live

Who's pocket is it coming out of? Money doesn't fall out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 confusedlad

I am getting under 50 euro a wrek from the dole. Im 22 been unemployed for a few months now. Its just not enough. Would any1 know of any entitlements i could apply for?

K3lso, I read your posts on the minimum wage thread and generally agree with you. Even in this thread I can see where you're coming from, but before you jump down my neck, read my own post above in full.

We live in a democratic modern humane state, you cannot have people starving on the streets. To take another prospective on it, imagine crime levels if Welfare were to be abolished. Taking this into account, you can begrudge someone the 200 odd euros a week to live. I draw the line at these accruing additional benefits that people avail off.

But to answer your question, it comes from us the tax payers. As does the money for our roads, our hospitals and out street lights - other fundamental elements of a modern democratic state. Where this starts to fail is when you have 'Joe' getting his mortgage, gas, electricity paid for, his children's meals and school uniforms paid for, his medicine and bus passes paid for and still has 200 odd euro a week to live on - to spend on his pints in the pub. That is wrong and that is where we, as a welfare state, failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

K3lso, I read your posts on the minimum wage thread an generally agree with you, even in this thread I can see where you're coming from but before you jumo down my neck read my own post above, in full.

I don't wish for welfare to be abolished overnight, retro. But the government should be reducing their own salaries first. They're giving pay rises to their advisors. We do need to cut welfare, that much is certain. Statements to the contrary are simply delusional. We have a massive deficit that we need to close but we should be opening up the economy so that those currently unemployed can find work in the private sector. This is a problem caused by government, it will not be solved by the same people that created it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

K3lso, I read your posts on the minimum wage thread and generally agree with you. Even in this thread I can see where you're coming from, but before you jump down my neck, read my own post above in full.

We live in a democratic modern humane state, you cannot have people starving on the streets. To take another prospective on it, imagine crime levels if Welfare were to be abolished. Taking this into account, you can begrudge someone the 200 odd euros a week to live. I draw the line at these accruing additional benefits that people avail off.

But to answer your question, it comes from us the tax payers. As does the money for our roads, our hospitals and out street lights - other fundamental elements of a modern democratic state. Where this starts to fail is when you have 'Joe' getting his mortgage, gas, electricity paid for, his children's meals and school uniforms paid for, his medicine and bus passes paid for and still has 200 odd euro a week to live on - to spend on his pints in the pub. That is wrong and that is where we, as a welfare state, failed.

You think 450000 people live like this??? Are you for real??

• Advertisement

K3lso wrote: »
    I don't wish for welfare to be abolished overnight, retro. But the government should be reducing their own salaries first. They're giving pay rises to their advisors. We do need to cut welfare, that much is certain. Statements to the contrary are simply delusional. We have a massive deficit that we need to close but we should be opening up the economy so that those currently unemployed can find work in the private sector. This is a problem caused by government, it will not be solved by the same people that created it.

I completely agree and I've said my bit, so I will park this here.

Wow, a debate on boards that didn't end up being completely circular. Thanks K3lso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Family income support
    Child benefit
    Bus Passes
    Medical Cards
    Fuel Allowance
    Rent Allowance

A democratic state should provide the "less fortunate" with a minimum, subsistant, means of living. No right minded person would begrudge some 180 Euro a week to live, but when we account for the myriad of Social insurance payments, Means-tested payments and Universal payments we see that the accuring benefits to someone availling of 'Social Protection' have completely spiralled out of control. Anyone here on the average industrial wage would likely be better off being unemployed, spitting out a kid and going on the waiting list for a council house.

Please, stop saying its only 280/188/whatever arbitrary figure you decide it is because it truly isn't - It is so much more and, crucially for this topic, IT IS TOO MUCH.
    The dole is ONLY €188 a week (or less in some cases). Your list is of ancillary benefits that not everyone is entitled to or claims.

Your post is sensationalist nonsense, more akin with the kind of claims from some who think refugees and immigrants just walk in to the country and automatically get all the the benefits plus a free car/buggy/taxi licence/house etc than it has any basis in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Adyx wrote: »
    Your post is sensationalist nonsense, more akin with the kind of claims from some who think refugees and immigrants just walk in to the country and automatically get all the the benefits plus a free car/buggy/taxi licence/house etc than it has any basis in fact.

What do they do to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I am getting under 50 euro a wrek from the dole. Im 22 been unemployed for a few months now. Its just not enough. Would any1 know of any entitlements i could apply for?

Yeah, you're entitled to get off your arse and get a job. Look on it as a nice little motivator. Do the jobsbridge yoke if you're stuck.

And when you get a job, save a few bob in case you ever get laid off again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What do they do to get it?
    I don't know. Sexual favours? That's how I got my medical card.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Sustenance, on the dole but if you mean life then it's all i can forsee really.. n it's not, something to gloat about so i dont really know how to go about it the life you mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Family income support
    Child benefit
    Bus Passes
    Medical Cards
    Fuel Allowance
    Rent Allowance

Obviously a post from someone totally out of touch with the reality of life on the dole.

Mortgage interest supplement is only for those on a mortgage and from my own experience, its only peanuts and is hardly worth applying for.

Child benefit is payable to everyone not just to those on the dole

Free Travel is only for those over 66

Medical cards are only of use if one is ill

The Household Benefits Package is only for Old Age Pensioners

The Fuel Allowance is only €20 per week paid during the winter months

Rent Allowance is only payable to those paying rent.

Most unemployed people are not entitled to any of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

shocked reading some of the things people have posted here, "get off your ass and get a job" etc people should mind their own business, theres a resession incase you didnt notice. my advise to people on the dole would be do a lot of research as to what you are entitled to because the social welfare wont tell you unless you ask(citizens advise are good). also it baffles me as to why some people would be embarassed to be on the dole, so you cant find a job, hardly a hanging offence.hold your heads high and dont take any crap over it from anyone.

shocked reading some of the things people have posted here, "get off your ass and get a job" etc people should mind their own business, theres a resession incase you didnt notice. my advise to people on the dole would be do a lot of research as to what you are entitled to because the social welfare wont tell you unless you ask(citizens advise are good). also it baffles me as to why some people would be embarassed to be on the dole, so you cant find a job, hardly a hanging offence.hold your heads high and dont take any crap over it from anyone.

Well said. Thank god people I meet in real life dont have the attitude of some posters here. If they did I'd probably have topped myself by now.

Be very careful of the negative things you say online, it may affect someone in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

One day closer to emigrating for good..
    I've been working in various countries and with the money I saved, I've been doing a few courses here while I've been looking for a job, in the hope that they'd help me in the long run. No such luck at the moment, despite the networking and the fact that I have 2 so-called 'high value' qualifications- Computer Science and I'm fluent in Spanish.

I distain this country at the moment- it's just completely stagnant. No effort to create jobs, hold onto jobs, retrain workers, encourage people to get back into education. Only a glorified slave-work scheme. **** THAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I've been working in various countries and with the money I saved, I've been doing a few courses here while I've been looking for a job, in the hope that they'd help me in the long run. No such luck at the moment, despite the networking and the fact that I have 2 so-called 'high value' qualifications- Computer Science and I'm fluent in Spanish.

I distain this country at the moment- it's just completely stagnant. No effort to create jobs, hold onto jobs, retrain workers, encourage people to get back into education. Only a glorified slave-work scheme. **** THAT.

A degree in CS and you can't get a job? :eek: Just surprised cos that's what I want to do for my degree and you usually hear that you'll have no bother getting a job.

A degree in CS and you can't get a job? :eek: Just surprised cos that's what I want to do for my degree and you usually hear that you'll have no bother getting a job.
    Yup, but there's the little matter of 'experience'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Yup, but there's the little matter of 'experience'.

Fúck me the state of things right now would make you want to just not go to college at all. It's like having a degree is worthless, it's only any good if you have 'experience' :rolleyes: What bullshít, why do they think people go to college?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Fúck me the state of things right now would make you want to just not go to college at all. It's like having a degree is worthless, it's only any good if you have 'experience' :rolleyes: What bullshít, why do they think people go to college?!
    It's an employer's market dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

I have been on the dole since last December and get a total of 188 per week plus have a medical card, single, no kids, so no FIS, child benefit, etc. I will be using my medical card next week to renew my prescription for a long term illness which I have to do every 6 months. I ain't trotting up to the doctors every second week for the sake of it as it's FREE, fingers crossed, I won't have to use it for another 6 months.

No fuel allowance as I am not long term unemployed so scratch that as well. Thankfully I have payment protection on the house as I would be goosed!! Still have to pay house insurance, etc, this out of my dole, plus all usual bills.

I have worked since I left school for the last 23 years and paid my taxes, etc so anybody that has a problem with me on the dole can go and f@@k themselves. I would rather be working but jobs are an extremely valuable commodity presently and can't seem to catch a break but still plug on and send applications, cvs, etc every week.

I hope the people whinging on here never find themselves in the situation of losing their jobs because it is no fun on the dole...

50 jobs announced and 50,000 people apply for it. It's like being a sperm again :D

Maybe jobs could be created building high-horses for certain people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been 2 very big job announcements over the last 2 or 3 days.

Apparently Paddy Power will be looking for highly qualified, degree laden people.

50 jobs announced and 50,000 people apply for it. It's like being a sperm again :D

Maybe jobs could be created building high-horses for certain people?

I feel maybe mummy and daddy had them built during the "boom" ;)

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Been 2 very big job announcements over the last 2 or 3 days.

Apparently Paddy Power will be looking for highly qualified, degree laden people.
    Paddy Power is the beacon among the **** with regards to Irish companies. There's a complete dependence on multinationals to keep everything afloat.

Advertisement