Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else get taret panic?

• 21-12-2011 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Im not 100% sure I have it, but Im fairly certain I do. Anybody else in the same situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Gonzor wrote: »
    Im not 100% sure I have it, but Im fairly certain I do. Anybody else in the same situation?

TaRget panic, same as buck fever.

Can happen to Anyone.

Practice makes permenence
    Permenent practice makes perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Im not 100% sure I have it, but Im fairly certain I do.
    What do you experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What does "target panic" mean? Anxiety at potentially high results? If so, totally normal. Everyone gets it to some degree or other. If they didn't, there'd be precious little fun in the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Sparks wrote: »
    What do you experience?

I looked up buck fever, and yeh Im sure thats it (it was my target shooting buddy who told me its called target panic).

THe only way to explain it is I could shoot foxes all day and I wouldnt bat an eyelid, but as soon as its a "trophy" fox Im looking at, I panic and usually end up missing :(

I guess the lads are right when they say its normal to get excited.... but at the same time its very annoying that I can shoot all the stupid, pointless targets of the day and have decent accuracy, but as soon as the shot is important to me.... forget it.

BTW: I intentionally put this here because I figured Id get a better response than in the hunting section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You're focussing on the outcome of the shot rather than the shot itself, that's the problem. Take a peek in the Mental Training thread...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I looked up buck fever, and yeh Im sure thats it (it was my target shooting buddy who told me its called target panic).

THe only way to explain it is I could shoot foxes all day and I wouldnt bat an eyelid, but as soon as its a "trophy" fox Im looking at, I panic and usually end up missing :(

I guess the lads are right when they say its normal to get excited.... but at the same time its very annoying that I can shoot all the stupid, pointless targets of the day and have decent accuracy, but as soon as the shot is important to me.... forget it.

BTW: I intentionally put this here because I figured Id get a better response than in the hunting section.
    As I figured.
    Practice is the key I find.
    I got a trophy a couple of weeks back, and I was calm as a breeze.

Largely due to the fact that I was confident in the round, the rifle, the scope and the range.
    179 yards neck Sika.

Shoot every round the same, no better or worse than the last.
    Consistancy is the key, and confidence in your ability.and equipment.

We all have bad days, the day we miss imeans we need to put more rounds down range.
    Also time yourself when doing range work.

Time constraints will sharpen you up I find.
    Best of luck in getting your trophy !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

I call it shot-anticipation. I had a lot of trouble with not being able to pull the trigger on the target as I had felt the shot wasn't good enough and then when I started to lose the hold I'd end up pulling the trigger for fear of losing the shot altogether and I'd end up shooting 9's and 8's (.22 prone and .177 air). I had to learn to make myself restart the shot routine if I noticed I was started to lose it at all. Eventually it became habit to just put down the rifle. If the shot's not on it's not on so you might as well start over.

You can't get rid of it by trying to get rid of it. It's a weird one where you have to work on everything else and as they get better it gets easier to pull the trigger every time. One day you'll notice you haven't had 'target panic' in a while and it'll give you a great boost of confidence.

Advertisement