Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hot is too hot?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I have -

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz S2011 12MB
    MSI X79A-GD65 (8D), Intel X79, LGA2011, ATX, DDR3
    Corsair H100 liquid cooler.

Normal running temp is 30c. Last night I overclocked the CPU to 4.9GHz. But, it was running then at 91c. No problems with it (everything still functioned fine).

Now, I didn't have the H100 running as fast as it could, so I could probably push that more to bring down the temp.

But, just wondering, how hot is too hot for normal running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Seems that the "91C" report is actually a bug. From reading discussions online, it's either a BIOS bug or a motherboard fault. Mind you, MSI say it's an Intel fault on the CPU itself. :rolleyes:

I'm less worried now, but will investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

For an 130watt cpu thats very hot (if not a bug).I dont know what Intel say is the max temp on that cpu but i'd imagine it would be around that.If to hot it would throttle itself back.

What Vcore where you using for the overclock and did you set it manually in the bios or use MSI overclocking software?

What program are you using for reading temps?

I changed the settings directly in the BIOS.

CPU ratio 46
    CPU core voltage 1.550v

I was getting the temp using the Click BIOS II utility. From searching and browsing, it doesn't seem that uncommon, and MSI are working on a new BIOS firmware release.

Once I reset the BIOS settings and rebooted, the CPU temp went back to 31c. I doubt the CPU could cool down within that space of time so much. My guess is that the actual CPU temp wasn't much more than 55c.

I'm going to try using the MSI OC Genie this evening, to see what OC it gives me, and how the temp reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Paulw wrote: »
    I changed the settings directly in the BIOS.

CPU ratio 46
    CPU core voltage 1.550v

I was getting the temp using the Click BIOS II utility. From searching and browsing, it doesn't seem that uncommon, and MSI are working on a new BIOS firmware release.

Once I reset the BIOS settings and rebooted, the CPU temp went back to 31c. I doubt the CPU could cool down within that space of time so much. My guess is that the actual CPU temp wasn't much more than 55c.

I'm going to try using the MSI OC Genie this evening, to see what OC it gives me, and how the temp reads.

:eek: 1.55v is gonna kill or shorten the lifespan alot of your chip.
    With that Vcore i would say the cores could easily hit 91c on the cores (cpu temp will be about 10c less) depending on what your using to stress test it.
    I wouldn't go over 1.4v unless you can find a spec sheet from Intel that says the max safe operating volts/temps.

Use core temp or real temp for the temp of the cpu cores.
    Hwmoniter is also good for mobo and other temps.

Using the OC Genie, I get

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2158976

4GHz. Current temp at that is 37c.

I may try manual adjusts again in the BIOS. I've seen OC on this MB and cpu of up to 5.4GHz. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I wouldn't go higher than 1.3 maybe 1.35 Vcore. 1.55 is madness, you'll burn out your chip in a year.

Vcore of 1.55 is the max recommended, according to the Intel specs. I was just trying to push the chip a bit, to see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

mines is at cpu 26 motherboard 26 degrees with cooler that came with the chip

Advertisement