Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future

Options
  • 21-12-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I think this is the future of fighting games. A more UFC model then e-sports. The only thing I would say is that it is too early to charge for such events. Get the viewing numbers up from quality productions like this and major sponsorship will come from it. Don't limit its growth by making a few quid up front and it will make millions down the line from advertising, sponsorship and advertising and finally pay per view.

UFC, Boxing and even wrestling have more in common with fighting games then the e-sports or tournament model. You can still have the tournaments and the top players will then get seeded and everyone would be able to enter the scene.

Take this model and have interviews with players before the match and build hype. Add seeding and belts and a share of the profits to the competitors and watch it grow.

What you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think you're going to need a bit of both. Without tournaments I don't think personalities you want to see win/ lose will rise to the level where something like that bar fights (which I REALLY enjoyed, despite Noellleeeeeeeee winning a fight).

In the particular example you've given, they were either very clever or missed an opportunity at the end.

Jago was fighting Ross, Ross being popular anyway and the home town player, ended up getting bodied.

There was a perceptible shift in the atmosphere of disappointment and a chant went up for Combo to body Jago.

Jago refused, which left the crowd dissatisfied. So either they're feeding the next edition a la pro wrestling (because those fans are going to be RABID for their next scrap) or Jago should have manned up and taking his beating for the good of the future, sending those people home happy instead of pissed off, ensuring they come back. It wasn't a tournament after all, there was nothing to lose in losing, if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

Yeah, I agree Doom. On a similar note, I've really enjoyed the pre-match interviews Level up has been doing recently. Granted, they're still a bit rough and the interviewer chick is pretty bad but it's a step in the right direction. It will be really interesting to see how that concept evolves over the next year or two and we get a James Chen/Ultra David/Yipes of pre-match interviews that actually know how to interview well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Won't be like that globally though. Only Americans seem to be able to pull off trash talking, pure hype and "popping off". Just seems really fake / tried when any other culture tries it for some reason.

Plus, the FGC in the states definitely has the characters.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Won't be like that globally though. Only Americans seem to be able to pull off trash talking, pure hype and "popping off". Just seems really fake / tried when any other culture tries it for some reason.

Plus, the FGC in the states definitely has the characters.
    Au contraire.

At SBO, even the normally nice Japs get into some trash talk (mostly along the lines of "I'm gonna OCV everyone").

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

bar fights (which I REALLY enjoyed, despite Noellleeeeeeeee winning a fight).

Did you watch it live, or purchase it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

It doesn't even need to be trash talking, though that's always amusing. I think just getting to know the players better, talking about how they train for the bigger tournies, why they chose their team, etc gives more of a human element to it and makes it a bit more approachable to newcomers. Granted a lot of that would be better for post-match but still, it's a process that's evolving so who knows where it will end up

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I got asked for the first time what some of our players were like the other day. That was mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I got asked for the first time what some of our players were like the other day. That was mad.

On youtube or twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Music sounds like Stage 4 of Streets of Rage 2. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Yeah... I'm not ever paying for a stream of gaming.

And I'd rather watch an open tournament format any day of the week regardless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement