Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Makeup!

• 21-12-2011 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Can the touche eclat be used as a primer for eye shadow? I tend to use it under my eyes as a concealor and at the corners of my mouth.

Any tips on the best to use an eyebrow pencil? As you may have guessed I rarely wear makeup and want to make more of an effort for x-mas.

I have a bobby brown eyebrow pencil in mahogany(sp) but I'm find it hard to apply. Is it alright if I wet it?

I flicked through youtube and so far I picked up: start from the outside and use short strokes. On the upper lid do you only put it above the lash line or underneath it or on it :confused:

Thanks all!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

dotor evil wrote: »
    Hello all

Can the touche eclat be used as a primer for eye shadow? I tend to use it under my eyes as a concealor and at the corners of my mouth. Its not a primer so wont do the job of that on your eyelids, you would be better off buying a primer (if you use one on your face just use same on your lids but if it is specificall an eye primer you want then Gosh and Urban Decay are fab and work really really well. Always remember when you do your foundation and set it with powder (loose is best) to apply it to your lids as well. A good nude or cream eyeshadow is excellent to use as a base.

Any tips on the best to use an eyebrow pencil? As you may have guessed I rarely wear makeup and want to make more of an effort for x-mas. This is most definitely practise! I have been doing my brows for yonks with pencil, light strokes following the natural shape of your brow. Have you tried using a brow shadow? Some people find this a little easier especially if its just a bit of definition and filling in! Check out youtube for some tutorials, theres some brilliant ones on there!

I have a bobby brown eyebrow pencil in mahogany(sp) but I'm find it hard to apply. Is it alright if I wet it? Not used the Bobbi Brown eyebrow pencil before but have had some that are like that and dont seem to be great at actually going on! The Rimmel one is surprisingly good and really cheap, best one Ive tried and one I always have in my make up bag.

I flicked through youtube and so far I picked up: start from the outside and use short strokes. On the upper lid do you only put it above the lash line or underneath it or on it :confused:Are you talking about applying eyeliner?

Thanks all!

:)

Is there a specific look you are wanting to re-create?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Touche Eclat is not a concealer, it's a highlighter.

As for using it as an eyelid primer? I wouldn't. You can pick an eyelid primer up quite cheaply if you don't wanna splash out. As far as I know, Gosh do one. No. 7 do eyelid primers as well, which are pretty decent. Personally, I use Smashbox. It's expensive but it lasts for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I mean eye liner, not eyebrow liner. Mind went wandering there!

Are base and primer the same thing?

I mean eye liner, not eyebrow liner. Mind went wandering there!

Are base and primer the same thing?

Primer on eyes will help stop eyeshadow creasing, makes colours more vivid etc...I use it more so when I am wearing heavy eye make up like smokey eyes but other than that I just use foundation all over then set around my eyelids with a powder from Vichy called Normaderm (think thats the name of it!!, clear round tub with black lid, this powder is brilliant, water resistant, sweat proof and just sets foundation perfectly, use it on my eyes mostly and if going on a night out then use it all over, apply it with the sponge that comes with it, you look like you have flour on your face then you blend it in with your powder brush)
    A base eyeshadow is just a nude colour, I do this all over the lid as it does what it says, gives a good base to build from.
    Primer is worth trying to see how you like it, I do think the least amount of products layered on skin the better, you dont want to look caked but if you find eyeshadow constantly creases or disappears then either use a primer or make sure you are setting that area properly.

Eyeliner- are you using a pencil, liquid or gel?
    Pencil is great for getting in close to lash line and smudging out for a smokey look, do this first then add a shadow you like all over socket and take it a bit under the lower lash line too.
    Im not a fan of liquid as its very tricky to get perfect and is way too fiddly for me!
    I LOVE gel liner, Bobbi Brown do a fab one and also Loreal...make sure to get a proper brush for this as it makes all the difference.
    You can start wherever feels comfortable for you when applying, I start on the outer corner into the middle, then move to the inner corner and meet in the middle. I usually always have a flick so once the initial line is on I then thicken up the outer corner bit and do the flick...you can do a flick with a very thin line also, play around a bit and see what you like!
    Liner should be just on the lashline and thickened out dependant on how you like it. Also what you can do is get a flat line brush and pop dark shadow on it and literally work this into the lashes onto the lashline, this gives definition without an obvious line if you get me.

Brushes are hugely important- a good set will last you years...you dont need millions of them just a few key brushes. I have a mix, from Mac and Crown (mostly Crown) Also Sigma brushes are fab and they do lovely sets as well.
    Having the right tools means application is so much easier and gives a real professional finish.

Also, Touche Eclat is a concealer in terms of being good to cover dark circles under eyes etc, it is light reflective as well which is not the best as concealer is meant to conceal, not highlight. Some people swear by it but I never really thought it was great to be honest, I prefer a proper concealer where needed and when using a highlighter I much prefer the likes of benefit high beam or the mac one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

So I picked up the Gosh primer and I have practised with the eyeliner.

I'm finding it harder to put on the upper lid, any advice. Can I away with just using it on about three quarters of my lower lash line?

When you say thickenned do you mean apply more on top of each other or make the 'line' wider.

This may sound thick but what order is eye make up put on?

I've been falling back on using a q-tip soaked in some makeup remover to tidy up smudges when doing my mascara etc.

So, eye liner/mascara/primer/base/shadow/blendwhathaveyou?

Is it easier to correct or to start over if one messes up.

Thank you all!

• Advertisement

So I picked up the Gosh primer and I have practised with the eyeliner.

I'm finding it harder to put on the upper lid, any advice. Can I away with just using it on about three quarters of my lower lash line? Absolutely, theres no rules that you have to wear it on top lid at all!! As you get more confident you will pick things up so just go at your own pace.

When you say thickenned do you mean apply more on top of each other or make the 'line' wider. Make the line wider...a good site that has loads of info on it is beaut.ie They have tutorials and how to's etc..even just look on youtube, perfect winged liner and that.

This may sound thick but what order is eye make up put on? Ok so you have your foundation & powder already on..I then put base eyeshadow all over, whatever eyeshadow I am wearing that day, liner and then mascara. A good rule of thumb is primer for face goes under foundation, if you pop a little on your eyes then you dont need to use a separate one. If Im using an eye primer specifically then I would put this on just before I start applying anything to my eyes.

I've been falling back on using a q-tip soaked in some makeup remover to tidy up smudges when doing my mascara etc. Thats fine to do, try use an oil free eye make up remover as the oils from remover may affect the make up you have on and make it wear faster/crease etc...wipe off the excess on mascara brush, some people use a tissue to lightly take it off I just wipe it off on the opening of the mascara tube.

So, eye liner/mascara/primer/base/shadow/blendwhathaveyou? As above, just play around with make up and see what you like etc and what works for you...Primer is always the first on though!

Is it easier to correct or to start over if one messes up. It depends really, I never remove eye make up if I have gone a little wrong, I just blend it off and redo...if its really dark shadow I might blend it off then swipe with my foundation brush. I always just find that if I put on eye make up then need to remove it and put it back on straight away it just never goes on right!

Thank you all!

It might be worth doing a make up lesson if thats something that interests you..loads of places do them and they are worth it, I would tend to stay away from the counters- unless its Mac as most of the staff arent trained make up artists, which is what you want. Ken Boylan is FAB, he has a place on Drury Street and Im pretty sure he does lessons...once you have the basics you will be flying!

Advertisement