Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lazy postman who dumped 2500 letters in his boot avoids jail

• 21-12-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Anyone missing any important letters?.
    That job interview you got,but never knew about?..till it was too late.Final warning before court proceedings?..........:eek:

No Bills.......:)
    A postman failed to deliver thousands of letters over a period of nearly two years out of "pure laziness", a court has heard.
    Oliver Ennis (27) avoided jail after Judge Martin Nolan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court said that he didn't even know the offence existed until the case came before him yesterday.
    Over the course of nearly two years, Ennis stashed undelivered letters in his car boot so he could finish his shifts early.
    Ennis, of Pearse House, Pearse Street, pleaded guilty to "detaining and delaying" more than 2,500 pieces of post at the Shelbourne Road Sorting Office between December 1, 2008 and July 8, 2010.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/lazy-postman-who-dumped-2500-letters-in-his-boot-avoids-jail-2969406.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Postman Patrick strikes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Lazy bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I find most postmen to be not worth a fcuk anyways tbh.

If I'd a cent for every time I've got next doors post, and vice versa I'd have 64c by now!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ghandee wrote: »
    I find most postmen to be not worth a fcuk anyways tbh.

If I'd a cent for every time I've got next doors post, and vice versa I'd have 64c by now!:(

Credit were credit is due, I lived abroad and I have to say the Irish postal service is excellent in comparison. Most letters posted here takes 2 to 3 days max. So what if the neighbours get the odd letter, but remember we don't even have a postal code system YET.

I do hope those 2500 letter were bills. The lazy bastard and postmen are on good money, its also a job with no-one breathing down your neck. The twat didn't even realise what a good number he had.

And NO I do not work for An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Postman Prat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

44leto wrote: »
    Credit were credit is due, I lived abroad and I have to say the Irish postal service is excellent in comparison. Most letters posted here takes 2 to 3 days max. So what if the neighbours get the odd letter, but remember we don't even have a postal code system YET.

I do hope those 2500 letter were bills. The lazy bastard and postmen are on good money, its also a job with no-one breathing down your neck. The twat didn't even realise what a good number he had.

And NO I do not work for An Post.

wrong - An post use their own internal post code system.... they have been using it for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Postal system is great here, WHEN the postman-woman isn't an idiot! Used to have a great postman at home, letters never went to wrong houses, was always friendly to us and if we weren't home he knew that he could stash packages in a locked box at the back of the house (exceptional service, don't expect it from everyone though as it did delay him), an absolute gent of a man and loved by the community.

He retired lately and as a result we got a new postwoman, absolutely ignorant cow that delivers wrong post everyday, doesn't bother knocking on the door when there's a package, just puts the slip in the letterbox, doesn't knock and drives off! Had to run down the road to the next house to catch her a few times, her excuse always being 'the lights were off so I didn't think anyone was in' why the f*ck would I have lights on at 11:00am in the summer!! I've complained to her and she just says 'I won't do it again so' and takes off! Everyone else in the community has had the same problem, complaints don't seem to be get through her thick skull!

Sorry about the above rant but had to get it out, but to get back to the point of good postal service in Ireland, in Canada it took 3-4 weeks to get mail, drove me insane when I lost an ATM card out there and had to claim for a new one through the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

wrong - An post use their own internal post code system.... they have been using it for decades now.

They use a Mailsort system, which isn't a postal code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

im not surprised,

and ill bet he's not the only one, how many postmen manage to 'finish early' whenever they need to.

its not as if the day they need to finish early for whatever reason the post conveniently is less that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

But we don't and the letters are delivered to us.

Eamon Ryan introduced it, they are suppose to be rolling it out soon.

• Advertisement

There's some trial postcode thing setup around Dublin 2 and the Dail area, the postcode signs are up on the corner of buildings for ages now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They shouldn't letter get off so lightly.

He was a she, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dey tuk ma poast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

He added that Ennis had no previous convictions and had now lost his job and reputation.
    Awwww the poor thing, he lost his job cause he was an imbecile.
    Seriously, did he think he could carry on like that for year?

booboo88 wrote: »
    did he think he could carry on like that for year?

He did and he did.
    ...over a period of nearly two years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Seachmall wrote: »
    He did and he did.
    Yea...and he got caught out, 2 years is a fairly short period of time

Yea...and he got caught out, 2 years is a fairly short period of time

But it's a long time not to be delivering mail when your job is to deliver mail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He added that Ennis had no previous convictions and had now lost his job and reputation.

He didn't lose his reputation. He decided to feck to do something to feck up his reputation. Lose gives the impression that it wasn't his fault

An ex-husband of one of my cousins in England on his first and last day as a city postman, got bored sh1tless after delivering a few letters, and then posted the entire contents of his bag through some old lady's letter-box, and then quit. Even he didn't hang onto the letters.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    An ex-husband of one of my cousins in England on his first and last day as a city postman, got bored sh1tless after delivering a few letters, and then posted the entire contents of his bag through some old lady's letter-box, and then quit. Even he didn't hang onto the letters.

Cliff Calvin wouldn't be happy hearing any of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'm also slightly confused as to how a postal code system would stop you getting the neighbours post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Judge Martin Nolan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court said that he didn't even know the offence existed until the case came before him yesterday

ignorance of the law is no defence, so a postman who didnt care enough to do HIS job properly, is let off by a judge who didnt care enough to do his job properly either! :confused:

only in ireland la-la land... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Probably got a lot of Christmas tips too if previous boards threads are anything to go by :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Judge Martin Nolan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court said that he didn't even know the offence existed

It's funny, but sometimes judges make me want to commit murder. *eye-twitch*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

Marginally better than this guy

delynet wrote: »

Now that's a right fcuker right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

at least he deilvered it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

gambiaman wrote: »
    There's some trial postcode thing setup around Dublin 2 and the Dail area, the postcode signs are up on the corner of buildings for ages now.
    That was guerrilla marketing by Loc8.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bogus-sign-campaign-streets-ahead-of-postcode-system-2464728.html

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

What's the Irish for cat? !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe he was suffering from post traumatic stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

WindSock wrote: »
    Maybe he was suffering from post traumatic stress.

Get your coat.:D

Who?

Who?

Damn auto-correct! I meant Cliff Clavin. The postman from Cheers. Now there was a man dedicated to delivering the mail

Who?

Damn auto-correct! I meant Cliff Clavin. The postman from Cheers. Now there was a man dedicated to delivering the mail

Never heard of him either, probably because I never saw more than half an episode of Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

At least he looked back to see if it was there :D or maybe he checked if he got caught..
    Never heard of him either, probably because I never saw more than half an episode of Cheers.

I thought Cheers was where everybody knows your name..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Oliver Ennis (27) avoided jail after Judge Martin Nolan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court said that he didn't even know the offence existed until the case came before him yesterday.

I wish Conor Gallagher could write decent English. Is that supposed to mean that Oliver Ennis didn't know the offence existed or Judge Nolan didn't know the offence existed?

I know that the offence exists and I know that it's an offence to tamper with other people's post etc. How could a postman who no doubt went through an induction process and some training not know? How could a Judge who must have some legal training not know?

Mr Gallagher, WTF did you intend that sentence to say? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I wish the Conor Gallagher could write decent English. Is that supposed to mean that Oliver Ennis didn't know the offence existed or Judge Nolan didn't know the offence existed?

I know that the offence exists and I know that it's an offence to tamper with other people's post etc. How could a postman who no doubt went through an induction process and some training not know? How could a Judge who must have some legal training not know?

Mr Gallagher, WTF did you intend that sentence to say? :confused:

You're right, it's hammered into them during induction and they're all fully aware that it is an instantly sackable offence.

The judge wasn't aware of the law in this case, at least that's what I took Gallagher to mean, but sure who knows with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I wish the Conor Gallagher could write decent English. Is that supposed to mean that Oliver Ennis didn't know the offence existed or Judge Nolan didn't know the offence existed?

Irony or a well thought out gag ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 55chevy

He got the boot from his post for leaving the post in his boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Irony or a well thought out gag ?

Stupidity actually. I'm still trying to figure out if it is your's or mine. My English doesn't need to be perfect. It's more than adequate for most forums but Mr Gallagher is writing for a national newspaper. Is it too much to expect some punctuation in his sentences so that they make some sort of sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

So thats why my offer from Harvard medical school didnt come through:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I wonder what post he will apply for now since he got fired. Its hard to imagine that he will be first past the post in any interview. I suppose he could say that his references are in the post. He should have delivered the mail post haste instead of shaggin off home early because he felt lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Return to sender
    Address unknown
    No such number...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bigdaddyshots

I actually know this guy.Worked with him for a bit.Nothing much changed,still a lazy lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

ive gotten 2 letters the last 10 working days- and a cheque i was owed was never delivered either!

this must be happening again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

My postman is great.

He'd give ya your post while you were walking down the street. "Here, have yiz got any post for number 8?. A package?, I wont be there to sign for it but just drop it in the front door its open anyways! "

Although I hear that a lot of postmen really hate when people ask them questions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

cocoshovel wrote: »
    My postman is great.

He'd give ya your post while you were walking down the street. "Here, have yiz got any post for number 8?. A package?, I wont be there to sign for it but just drop it in the front door its open anyways! "

Although I hear that a lot of postmen really hate when people ask them questions like that.

lol that reminds me of my brother- he lives in a big square and was waiting on an important letter. As he was going to work he saw postman come into the estate and asked had he any mail for no 12 to which the postman said ya.This is the conversation..

Bro - Have you got any mail for no 12
    Post - Sure do (walks off)
    Bro -Ah excuse me- can i have it- i live in no 12
    Post - No sorry
    Bro -Why not- i live in no 12 and ive to go to work- im waiting on a letter so can i have my mail
    Post - Can you prove who you are

My brother then showed him his i.d

Bro -Now can i have my mail
    Post - No- can you prove you live at no 12
    Bro - What?Ive just showed you my f**king I.D and my names on the letters
    Post -But its a very common name- you could be anyone
    Bro - Right ill go open my front door with my keys then will you give me my letters
    Post -Yes

So my brother drives back in- opens the front door and yells over to him

Bro - Now see- can i have my letters now
    Post -Yes wait there till ive delivered the rest of them
    Bro - *stormed over* give me my letters
    Post -I will when i have done the rest of the estate- your house is on the end im not changing my delivery route for you

Long story short my brother filed a complaint about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Postmen handing mail to people on the street or leaving parcels in garden sheds are breaking the rules. Everything is OK until some fraudster gets their hands on someone else's credit card or the dog chews up the parcel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Your brother has a temper

Would you go out of your way for someone who swears at you five sentences in, yells over at you and storms over to you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement