Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Opinion for a first time buyer.

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've never played any of these type of games before.

I normally play bf3 , call of duty, racing game etc but the reviews on this are good and I'm looking for a new game for xmas.

I know it's all down to the individual but is a game you can get into, having not played any previous games of this series or do you need to have a genuine interest in this type of game?

Thanks

Jinky

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a game you can get into easily
    you dont have to play the other games to enjoy it, i've only played oblivion and even then I have never finished it
    the only difference playing the other games make is a sense of nostalgia when you come across something you recognise from one of the previous games, the game itself isn't affected at all and you won't be at any sort of disadvantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Played Obivion and was bored sh!tless. You better be in to inventory management and spells and stats if you like this sort of game. I didn't have the patience for it (even though I do like other RPG's).

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

My Boyfriend who only ever play Fifa & COD has started playing Skyrim after he bought it for me. He loves it! Definitely worth a try as it's awesome :D

actually one of the problems (well, "problems") with skyrim is how little stats and stuff there is in the game
    it was kinda gimped for non rpg playing people. granted it's all streamlined and stuff, and if you're not into that kinda thing it's good for you but some people enjoy spending half an hour wondering where exactly their last skill point oughta go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Was about to disagree with Digby there, chin you got there before me. It's very much a love/hate game. Normally I'd say if you like RPGs you'd love this, but seeing you haven't played an RPG game before I can't really tell if you'd like it.

As chin said, it takes a bit of patience, especially if you're new to the genre. But if you give it time, you'll get immersed into the game and realize a day has passed since you turned on your console :P It's a fantastic game but it certainly had no appeal to some people (a tiny minority :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This was just posted up on reddit games. ^_^

yCmXP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I know it's all down to the individual but is a game you can get into, having not played any previous games of this series or do you need to have a genuine interest in this type of game?
    I don't think you really need to have played the previous games - I kinda just rushed through Oblivion's main quest, doing f-all of the side quests available, and didn't really think much of the game as a result. I'd no particular interest in Skyrim but if you enjoy exploring in-game worlds (or just generally doing whatever you want whenever you want, since there is a pretty huge amount of stuff for you to do), it's pretty hard to go wrong with the game tbh.

However, since you seem to enjoy particularly fast-paced games, that could be something to consider - personally, I haven't found the combat to be particularly fast-paced or thrilling (apart from fights against bosses, end-of-dungeon enemies or the times where I screw up and everything comes after me :pac:) especially if you make use of multiple different weapons/spells, which will pause the game while you're in your favourites menu/inventory screen.

Although, my present experience of the game is from playing a stealth-orientated character so a lot of my time would be spent trying to avoid big fights so I may have just missed out on the action there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Get the game, it's amazing

The thread above this has 5,800 replies and 250,000 views.

Should be a measure of how popular it is, just read some of the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If you want to have a life dont buy this game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I'd say its a rare person who won't enjoy it in some way. And im sure most people enjoy it immensely.

Worth the risk of a buy, because, if you enjoy it, you'll be so glad you got to experience it and you'll realize all the fun you missed out on in the previous elder scrolls game, then feel sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd never played an Elder Scrolls game before it, I love it now. give it a few hours to get into it. its the freedom of it I love, actual freedom not just a free roaming map but you'er being shoved from one quest to another (which does happen if you want it to)

put it this way, the opening of the game is a basic tutorial, you creaet your character class and look (you can spend hours at this alone) you get into a small fight to learn the combat and magic basics, some dude accompanies you to a point on a road, and then...well you're on your own, the entire map is yours to explore. see that mountain? have a wander, see whats up there. is that a building? lets go there and look inside, you're given a "hey theres a town over there, shuold check it out" instruction, and thats it, its entirely up to you how you play it. I'm 30 hours into it and havent done the very first quest given to you :pac: Its also one of the few games where doing nothing doesnt feel like you;re doing nothing, I've gone for walks in the woods just to see whats around, and stood on the sides of mountains watching the moon set and the sun rise. its fantastic.

buy it, its game of the year hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

stats? there is no stat management in this game at all except for perks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

hey, I'll be just an echo in here but I also have never played an Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim and wasn't sure if I'd like it. But it turned out great, the lore is very expansive but it isn't like other games such as Dragon Age or whatever, that are very storyline focused.

If you want to do storylines there are plenty of random quests, and individual questlines for factions but you can also play randomly and do as you wish. one guy is even doing a weekly blog on pcgamer in which he plays as an NPC (no adventuring, honest work, such as mining, no fast travel/sprinting except when running away from wolves, and have to sleep during the night)

So,don't worry if you haven't played an Elder Scrolls game. No experience required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

One of the best games I ever played, over 100 hrs in and still nowhere near completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stats? there is no stat management in this game at all except for perks

Armour, hit points, damage points.

There is if you want one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The game does sound very interesting based on such positive feedback. I'll be hoping this is discounted in the Steam sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Manach wrote: »
    The game does sound very interesting based on such positive feedback. I'll be hoping this is discounted in the Steam sale.

You can already pick it up online for about 20 bucks, its a steamworks game so any version will tie into your steam account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Armour, hit points, damage points.

There is if you want one.

yeah some minor stuff but nothing compared to the previous games, skyrim is a very accessible game (i love it btw, also loved all the previous ES's)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

great games enjoyed by many. my advice, dont get stuck up on every piece of shiny loot you see. theres *****plenty****** of loot to go around. Dont be bothered grabbing everything you find. Try to stick to things you essentially need. I virtually sell nothing, and survive only on the actual gold pieces I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

NO.

TAKE ALL THE LOOT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Only bought it earlier on meself. Not long into it but it starts off grand anyways so I'm happy with the purchase . Multiplayer would be nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Overheal wrote: »
    great games enjoyed by many. my advice, dont get stuck up on every piece of shiny loot you see. theres *****plenty****** of loot to go around. Dont be bothered grabbing everything you find. Try to stick to things you essentially need. I virtually sell nothing, and survive only on the actual gold pieces I find.

TAKE-ALL-THE-LOOT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

seanybiker wrote: »
    Only bought it earlier on meself. Not long into it but it starts off grand anyways so I'm happy with the purchase . Multiplayer would be nice though

if you play on PC you might want to take a look at this: http://skyrim-online.com/
    The following features are already implemented :

Synchronizing other players’ races, positions and rotation.
    Chat is fully working
    Time and weather and synchronized (sunny everywhere 24/7).
    Multiple Shards are available and I can spawn new shards on the fly.
    Mounts are synchronized server side but not client side yet.
    The arena is working but very very light, it will be improved and stats will be synced.

Upcoming features (before 01/01/2012) :

Player’s life, stamina and magicka synced.
    Authentication.
    Mounts client side.
    Weather cycles.
    Server side NPC handling.
    Voice chat.
    Groups, dungeon instancing.
    RSA encryption.
    Friend list

Waiting for SKSE or CK (unknown delay) :

Animations.
    Inventory, equipment and weaponry.
    Trading.
    Quest handling.

Theres a download link and instructions on the 'Installation' page but I haven't tried it myself so can't confirm if it works well or not

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Enderman wrote: »
    Was about to disagree with Digby there, chin you got there before me. It's very much a love/hate game. Normally I'd say if you like RPGs you'd love this, but seeing you haven't played an RPG game before I can't really tell if you'd like it.

As chin said, it takes a bit of patience, especially if you're new to the genre. But if you give it time, you'll get immersed into the game and realize a day has passed since you turned on your console :P It's a fantastic game but it certainly had no appeal to some people (a tiny minority :P)

I dont know m8, i am really big fan of RPGs and i found oblivion to be a pile of poo. the only thing that makes skyrim at least some how good is atmosphere. Sound is brilliant in that game.

best thing to do OP: go on youtube and find some "lets play skyrim". You can see a proper gameplay ( not trailer bull**** ) and decide for yourself - will you like it, or not.

thats what i do anyway...

best thing to do OP: go on youtube and find some "lets play skyrim". You can see a proper gameplay ( not trailer bull**** ) and decide for yourself - will you like it, or not.

thats what i do anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

does day9 has not enough SC2 stuff to comment on?

he does look like a child on xmas day though :D

he streamed himself playing amnesia too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

he streamed himself playing amnesia too :)
    I "streamed" meself playing Amnesia as well.

The one thing that slightly irked me is that there is no skill points as such, I mean where you have to increase say strength, dexterity, before you can wear a certain piece of armour or a weapon.

Apart from that, it's amazing. But give it a few hours before you fully get into it. EXPLORE and stay away from the main quest as much as possible. I'm maybe at the 80-100 hour mark and I've done probably 20%.

Don't want to spoil it, so just answer yes or no -
    is the ending of this similar to that of Fallout 3/New Vegas where the end of the main mission is the end of the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Don't want to spoil it, so just answer yes or no
    No. You're free to continue on playing that character and do anything you haven't already done :P

Advertisement