Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Oxegen Cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Penfailed wrote: »
    The reasons why Oxegen isn't going ahead - http://www.hotpress.com/news/8752395.html

Thats all a bit vague, simply blaming the CC and Gardai. I would like to see more specifics, ie what were the charges in 2011 and the proposed charges for 2012 and I wonder what these costs were as a % of the overall budget?

When it comes to ticket prices the Irl Promoters are usually much higher than UK.

Might have more to do with the days are over for the Golden Goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Is this anything to do with funding really?...... might they just be taking a break like galstonbury this year and five years ago and the five years previous to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Michael Eavis (Glastonbury) takes a break every 2nd year to let the fields recover . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nothing to do with attendances plummeting :pac:

Blaming the cost of the Garda is a bit stupid as well. The reason why its insisted that there are so many police there is because skangers are running riot down there. How many people were stabbed last year? 5 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

LordSutch wrote: »
    Michael Eavis (Glastonbury) takes a break every 2nd year to let the fields recover . . . .

*Every five years.

I don't buy the 'taking a year off like Glastonbury' thing tbh, wouldn't be surprised if it's still not back in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Namlub wrote: »
    I don't buy the 'taking a year off like Glastonbury' thing tbh, wouldn't be surprised if it's still not back in 2013.

neither do I. 'taking a year off unlike T in the Park' would be the more appropriate comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

well yes glastonbury has taken 3 breaks (nothing to do with overpricing) in the past,since 1997 .oxegen has been running annually since 2000 including witness, is not reasonable that theyve just taken a break, that its nothing to do with money (the same theories being suggested about glastonbury which takes breaks regularly yet each break people suggest the same reasoning), that maybe its just environmental and itll be back 2013 same as always, little or no effect to other festivals....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Old Perry wrote: »
    well yes glastonbury has taken 3 breaks (nothing to do with overpricing) in the past,since 1997 .oxegen has been running annually since 2000 including witness, is not reasonable that theyve just taken a break, that its nothing to do with money (the same theories being suggested about glastonbury which takes breaks regularly yet each break people suggest the same reasoning), that maybe its just environmental and itll be back 2013 same as always, little or no effect to other festivals....

I really dont think MCD give a toss about the environment around Punchestown :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hopefully it will never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

How many people were stabbed last year? 5 :rolleyes:
    Careful Now!

There's another reason it essentially sells out despite mirroring not just the same t in the park line-up but stage time almost each year, every year.. or three it's because each year is most attendee's first festival experience anyhow so it's new to them - I guess this is how acts have to make their money now, same repetitive festival circuit in particular I'd say maybe it's them who want a break but then T in the park is still on which shoots that one down.. I guess... I dunno. Bring back feile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

A bless em

fleh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Bring back feile.
    bring back homelands

**** them techno hippy fests man.. you just wanna grope the furry footed blonde with the bunny ears don't ya. May as well, she seemed to have spiked herself in anticipation.

I recall at one how beck taught the scangers a thing or two about dancing. and musicality. Funny how the few musicians that played those things tended to headline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tomorrowland is where it's at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

http://funnycrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fighting.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Paully D wrote: »
    Tomorrowland is where it's at!
    Haha everyone says they're going, it'll be funny to hear what excuses they come out with when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What in the name of batman is tomorrowland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Bring back the Feile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Bring back beat on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

mailforkev wrote: »
    The Stone Roses.

I'm pretty sure it's mandatory for every skanger to have a copy of their two albums from birth.

Surely you're confusing them with Oasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Its all about Roskilde, nine days of sweet tunes and ridiculously hot danish girls

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

EP's organisers are now, largely, the same people who ran Oxygen.

So that won't be happening.

not really, its managed by the festival republic end, most the staff are uk and do all the uk fests like latitude and big chill before hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thats all a bit vague, simply blaming the CC and Gardai. I would like to see more specifics, ie what were the charges in 2011 and the proposed charges for 2012 and I wonder what these costs were as a % of the overall budget?

When it comes to ticket prices the Irl Promoters are usually much higher than UK.

Might have more to do with the days are over for the Golden Goose.

Ireland has higher insurance costs for this stuff. The Guards can insist that because there are 80000 they need to have X Number of guards there at any given time on rotating shift and MCD need to Pay probably 40 or so an hour per guard along with transport too and from wherever at the start and end of each shift. But there is no value for money with the Guards there they do sweet fcuk all and it's essentially the brass trying to get more expenses paid to the cops who work the festivals.

On the flip side, Security guards probably cost only 15 or so euro per hour plus tax.

Then there is the County Council costs which would be a rip off too.

MCD did lose money last year on the festival. I know that for sure. You'd think with the amount of tix sold and vendor stands that they'd make money but the costs involved are a lot higher than you would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

recyclebin wrote: »
    I can't see scumbags wanting to go to the Electric Picnic with all the hipsters and old people with their 80's music.

the year i went to EP its was good stomping techno and house in most tents :D