Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne Gyms Closing Times

Options
  • 21-12-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm a member of the Carlisle Gym (Part of the Ben Dunne Gyms Group) and fairly shocked at the Christmas closing time (7pm this week ending 23rd Dec and 5.30pm next week ending 30th Dec).

I know the gyms are cheap but the closing times in general, as well as a specific times of the year (Easter, Paddys Day etc.), are a joke. Making things worse is the fact that last showers at 6.30pm, the pool closes up at the same time and the machines are switched off as well.

This means that over the next two weeks it's nearly impossible to get to the gym at all. And then into the dreaded January where there'll be a rush of new members and the place will be packed beyond workable capacity.

Just something to keep in mind when joining a gym. I'm seriously considering joining another gym at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that's pretty reasonable TBH - you might want to go to the gym, but most people won't and hence the gym will be quiet. In addition, they want to give their staff some quiet time over Christmas.

For instance, these are the opening hours from my gym

Saturday 24th Dec: 8am - 4pm
    Sunday 25th Dec: Closed
    Monday 26th Dec: Closed
    Tuesday 27th Dec: 8am - 4pm
    Wednesday 28th Dec: 8am - 8pm
    Thursday 29th Dec: 8am - 8pm
    Friday 30th Dec: 8am - 8pm
    Saturday 31st Dec: 8am - 4pm
    Sunday 1st Jan: Closed
    Monday 2nd Jan: 8am - 4pm
    Tuesday 3rd Jan: As normal

At the end of the day, it's your decision where you want to spend your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It's not just Ben Dunne Gyms.
    My local gym is the same. They are closing very early - 7pm up to Fri this week, with no classes until the new year.
    There is definitely demand - on mon and tue they had to kick people out at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ITB

I would completely agree that everyone deserves a break at Christmas but I get the impression that it's more a cost cutting measure.

7pm this week, on what is a working week for many, and 5.30pm next week is too earlier in my opinion. Also the gym over the last few days has been as busy as it ever is, which proves that the demand is there.

What I'm merely getting at is that the operating hours of the gyms have been reducing in small increments over the last few months/ years (from Thurs - Friday 10pm closing, now to 9pm closing & from Sat - Sun 6pm closing, now to 5.30pm closing). And I don't believe this will end here. The demand is there for later closing hours and I think people would pay a bit extra for that service. Finally if these gyms are run as "members clubs" then the members should have a bit more of a say- within reason ofcourse!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

Christmas is really the only time of year that gyms close early and in my eyes it's perfectly reasonable to allow their staff have some time off christmas. It's only one or two weeks so it's not like it's a real disruption

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

silentfox wrote: »
    Christmas is really the only time of year that gyms close early and in my eyes it's perfectly reasonable to allow their staff have some time off christmas. It's only one or two weeks so it's not like it's a real disruption

Have to agree, not only this but alot of gym members will be traveling, visiting family members. Heading out on nights out during this period so its nothing like a normal week.

Sure its sucks for the people that want to go and stay late everynight but people need time off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

silentfox wrote: »

Personally I think it is a real disruption. I think it is at this time of year that heavy gym users have time off from work and want the opportunity to go the gym at any time they want.

It is a service industry and workers who enter this industry have to be prepared to work unsocial hours. Gyms should work the same hours all year round to allow their patrons work out when they want and not be restricted in times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Anyone know if Carlisle is open today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's not just Ben Dunne Gyms.
    My local gym is the same. They are closing very early - 7pm up to Fri this week, with no classes until the new year.
    There is definitely demand - on mon and tue they had to kick people out at 7pm.

But they need to minimise wages costs. After Christmas there is such a demand for gym memberships that they probably wont care if they lost 20% of their existing customers, as they will have new ones to fill their place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭micar

have you checked their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

micar wrote: »
    have you checked their site?

Checked there site, doesn't say anything about Easter. It didn't say anything about paddys day and went down to find out it was closed.

Nothing mentioned on social media pages and their not answering the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭micar

theballz wrote: »
    Checked there site, doesn't say anything about Easter. It didn't say anything about paddys day and went down to find out it was closed.

Nothing mentioned on social media pages and their not answering the phone.

You didn't look hard enough!!!!! All gyms closed today!!!!

http://www.bendunnegyms.com/temporary_opening_times.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please don't create zombie threads

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement