Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People losing access to boards.ie

Options
  • 21-12-2011 1:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is a thought started by LostCorkGuy's thread in Prison (he's out again as it was a mistake in the first place) but I've had it before. If someone gets banned from boards.ie (i.e. permanent ban) should they also be removed from the B-IE clan?

I'm not looking at taking this poll or comments as strict rule but rather as a starting point for a policy to be put in place before someone get's banned :)

Should members permanently banned from boards.ie be excluded from the B-IE clan? 13 votes

Yes, they should be removed from the clan
    0% 0 votes
    No, they should still remain member of the clan
    46% 6 votes
    Atari Jaguar! (other, write an explanation please)
    53% 7 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The official boards.ie policy has been that if something external uses the boards.ie name, then it's essentially bound to the same standards of behaviour as boards.ie itself. Someone who manages to act up enough to get sitebanned from boards.ie is also probably not going to be much of a contributing member of the clan by extension, especially if they can't read/reply to clan related issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

I strongly oppose this motion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I strongly oppose this motion :P

You would!

But yes, definitely they should get the boot. If someone is bad enough to actually get a site ban from boards, they're probably not the type to have a bit of banter on TS anyway.

Clan charter should be updated maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Even though I'm all up for respecting the rules of the boards, I don't really think you can practically apply its rules to playing WoT or playing as part of the clan in WoT.

Also when you get banned in WoT will you also get site-banned on boards? Will fellow clan members make sure to follow up on the WoT ban with boards admins? ;-)

stas wrote: »
    Even though I'm all up for respecting the rules of the boards, I don't really think you can practically apply its rules to playing WoT or playing as part of the clan in WoT.

Also when you get banned in WoT will you also get site-banned on boards? Will fellow clan members make sure to follow up on the WoT ban with boards admins? ;-)

Being banned in-game is different to being banned on boards.

You cannot link the two with the same consequences both ways. Being banned in-game does not mean you would get banned from the B-IE clan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Ahhhh but I doubt in WOT you'll get banned for using a university computer unlike boards :P

Plus being honest I wouldnt be comfortable with a team killer on boards with out the little blue name , you could be talking to anybody :D kick from one kick from both

Seriously though I think it should be taken into account who's been kicked from the clan and possibly discussed with them in TS and see what they say rather than just booting them off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

You cannot link the two with the same consequences both ways. Being banned in-game does not mean you would get banned from the B-IE clan.

So this is my point exactly. Being banned on the boards shouldn't get you banned from the clan either. Going overboard in the Manga forum doesn't make me more noob in WoT or worse of a team player.

And I agree with LostCorkGuy - it isn't all black and white, forums moderation/banning is largely a thing of perception.

stas wrote: »
    So this is my point exactly. Being banned on the boards shouldn't get you banned from the clan either. Going overboard in the Manga forum doesn't make me more noob in WoT or worse of a team player.

And I agree with LostCorkGuy - it isn't all black and white, forums moderation/banning is largely a thing of perception.

Well maybe its something that should be left in the hands of the powers-that-be on a case by case basis?

After all, I doubt it being a huge issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BIE.Ryaner

I see boards as the gateway as to what brought me to the tanks clan. But I see them as separate entities.

Your boards.ie credentials aren't challenged as an entry requirement to the clan, so once you're in BIE you could drop all boards.ie activity (for arguments sake) and still be in BIE.

I know it's a different point, but if this was my last post ever on boards, but I still kept turning up in the evening and joining Teamspeak and playing in matches is someone going to say "you've been very quiet on boards.ie lately Ryaner, we're going to have to kick you out if that doesn't change".

Flip side, you've to be a fair aul eegit to get a site ban around here, so maybe as a darwin award type thing, you get removed from BIE.

Sure let the powers that be keep us posted. I can see both sides fairly equally on this one. I did vote "No" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

BIE.Ryaner wrote: »
    I see boards as the gateway as to what brought me to the tanks clan. But I see them as separate entities.

Your boards.ie credentials aren't challenged as an entry requirement to the clan, so once you're in BIE you could drop all boards.ie activity (for arguments sake) and still be in BIE.

I know it's a different point, but if this was my last post ever on boards, but I still kept turning up in the evening and joining Teamspeak and playing in matches is someone going to say "you've been very quiet on boards.ie lately Ryaner, we're going to have to kick you out if that doesn't change".

Flip side, you've to be a fair aul eegit to get a site ban around here, so maybe as a darwin award type thing, you get removed from BIE.

Sure let the powers that be keep us posted. I can see both sides fairly equally on this one. I did vote "No" though.

i think what ryaneir has said to be wright it is something that would have to be discussed and voted on ,but we should put a command vote structure in place first before bringing this further,but as we have mentioned this and nothing has been done about it then why even talk about this type of ban ,as everyone is going to think diff. on it we should have a command voting structure in place before taking it further to make things fairer on everyone..after all if it wasnt for the clan i still would not be a boards.ie member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Fionn Mc Coule

From what i gather boards covers many things which includes wots section, so in my opinion it should depend on why the person got banned, if i was to have a disagreement with someone who is on boards but not in world of tanks and that person is more friendly with an admin than me and as a result i get banned then i think getting kicked from B-IE would be wrong, this is only an example, their would have to be a discussion among the leadership of B-IE before anyone would be kicked and as merc said a vote by a disciplinary committee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

From what i gather boards covers many things which includes wots section, so in my opinion it should depend on why the person got banned, if i was to have a disagreement with someone who is on boards but not in world of tanks and that person is more friendly with an admin than me and as a result i get banned then i think getting kicked from B-IE would be wrong, this is only an example, their would have to be a discussion among the leadership of B-IE before anyone would be kicked and as merc said a vote by a disciplinary committee.
    To get a permanent boards ban you'd usually need to:
    • Do serious trolling usually involving multiple bans of increasing length (every ban can also be challenged to avoid individual bias by the mod/Cmod)
    • Threaten boards with legal activity(i.e. I'll be getting my lawyer involved)
    • Post some really stupid **** all over the forum (goatsee, links to your companies website, stream spam etc.)
    • Be a re-reg (someone who's banned and create a new account to continue posting in the forum(s) banned
    You will not be banned 'cause you pissed of someone who's friend with the admin as boards don't work that way as it is to big (and you can go one step up to the guys who decided on the admins and are hired if need be then).

No one who's limiting their posting to WoTs forums (public and private) and are a B-IE member is even remotely likely to be banned short of goatsee pictures and the like. The above is more for the users who're "regular" Boards.ie users (such as myself) if we would go off and troll/be naughty in other forums.

Anyway, I'll look at a first draft of a command structure this weekend.

Advertisement